Quantcast Ike - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ike

Post Thanks / Like

I do think she would be fine 75 miles inland. I do agree with Laura that being stuck in the gridlock is more dangerous than hunkering down at home. I also agree that the media does hype things up just from our last experience with a few things that were reported on Gustav in our area. We have a few roads underwater here in SE Louisiana from the wind bringing the water in. The wind started yesterday. We are under tornado watch and 15,000 people in the area have lost electricity.
    LORI

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We are already having worse flooding with Ike than Gustav and we are way out of the direct path....I will be remembering all of the Intercotees and their families in Ike's path in my prayers

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Those of us on the northwest side of Houston (Katy, Waller, Hempstead) don't seem to have as much to worry about with the latest predictions - however, they are still predictions at this point. Unless you live near water, you shouldn't have to worry about flooding. It is just the wind and/or tornados that will cause us problems. The biggest concern will be downed limbs and power lines = need to watch out for those as well as being prepared to spend a few days without power. There's not a lot of food or water at the stores these days so I hope all has already bought supplies.

Galveston is already flooding from just the storm surge and the storm is hours away - looks like there will be major damage for those folks.

Thanks again for your prayers.
    June 1978 - Camping
    July 2004 - POR
    April 2005 - POR
    October 2006 - POR
    December 2008 - WL
    October/November 2009 - WL
    December 2010 - WL
    October/November 2014 - POP
    December 2015 - POR

Post Thanks / Like

Default Update

I have to say the video they are already showing on the Weather Channel is pretty grim. Water coming over seawalls and over the pier already. Water up and around homes already too.
    Janet, aka JanetMegan

Scrapbooking-There is a fine line between a mental illness and a hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nana View Post
    I talked to my sister. She is in Katy and my Dad is in Waller. My Dad lives in a trailer so he has evacuated to my sister's house. My understanding is that at the current projected path, she is directly in line with the eye of Ike. She is really not saying much. Just that they are hunkering down. For those in the area, what all are you guys being told? 100 mile per hour winds? I know my Dad has been told that he probably will not have a home when he returns. He is not believing it and has gone to the grocery store and bought steaks. He put them in the freezer for when he returns home he can cook out. I can not tell if he is scared and acting tough or if he really does not understand. He is in his 70s and sometimes I am just not sure. My sister took all the pictures and put them in waterproof containers and then placed them in the attic. I have read about the bags in the freezer. Any other suggestions.
    Becky, forecast for the area, which includes Katy (and my house) is forecast to have sustained winds of 60-75 mph with 4-8 inches of rain. So we're probably looking at roof damage, signs down, pool enclosures damaged or blown away, etc. but not structural damage. If your sister does not live in any kind of flood plain, she will be alright, although it will be a bumpy night. As far as preparations, they just recommend having a "safe room" to be able to go to if a tornado threatens and to be prepared for power outages. As far as the pictures in the attic, I'd be more inclined to keep that stuff on a lower level, if flooding is not an issue. If she does have roof damage, it is possible that rain may leak into the attic.

Your poor dad sounds like he is keeping a stiff upper lip, like most people around here. We're just waiting to see what happens.

I do have to say that it looks like Galveston and other nearby coastal communities will not be faring well. There is already significant flooding from high tides last night, with water coming over the seawall and the storm surge is not even close yet. They think the area may suffer catastrophic losses.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Becky,

I hope your family members stay safe. I would think your sister is far enough inland that she should be fine in her home.

It is time for hurricane season to be over! DH is in the National Guard and got activated over 2 weeks ago for Gustav. He was supposed to come home last night and at the last minute he was sent to Cameron parish to help out for Ike. I really hate dealing with these storms without him here with us.

Everyone in the path of Ike are in my prayers.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

My prayers are with everybody that are close to the hit point. I have several friends in Galveston Freeport side that are pretty much expecting everything to be gone when they get back. FORTUNATELY they're the type when they're told to run they RUN.

If all these things are done then GREAT...but regardless...when you're told to leave LEAVE even if you have to walk.

So far everything seems to be going very well. They've been busing people out since Wednesday, hotels are offering deals and dropping taxes and one of our local movie theatres is offering "free movies" to the evacuees. We're planning a "Ike-a-Rita" party for our friends that had to leave (last time Rita came through we had a Marga-Rita party and it was nice...took everybody's mind off what they couldn't control).

I'm a bit bummed that we're not getting more storm here in SA. I was hoping for a BIG strong storm here...but we're HOPEFULLY going to get SOME rain and that's it.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

God bless everyone in the storm's path. Is it true that the weather bureau has stated that anyone who doesn't evacuate certain areas will face certain death??????
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    God bless everyone in the storm's path. Is it true that the weather bureau has stated that anyone who doesn't evacuate certain areas will face certain death??????
    You know quite honestly I don't completely think so...but the fact remains that high winds, flooding really could make things VERY bad. No one knows for sure but they do know it's going to be bad. If people know they will face certian death maybe it will encourage them NOT to take the chance.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved. Please stay safe.
    Danielle

First Trip: April 1977
    Last Trip:- June 15-June 27 BLT and Vero Beach
    Next Trip: June 20-30 Vero Beach

Post Thanks / Like

My BIL lives south of Houston, in Pearland, and he decided to evacuate. He had frequent flier miles so he's already in New Jersey.

As for the 'certain death' warning, it's really for Galveston and other, similar coastal areas. Galveston residents were warned that people who decided to stay and who live in one or two story homes will face certain death due to the storm surge and waves. And it looks like about 50% of Galveston residents decided to stay put. I hope that I'm wrong, but I'm afraid that there will be a lot of fatalities from this one.

I live three miles from the Ocean and if Ike was headed towards me, I'd be in Pennsylvania by now.

All of you Intercotees impacted by Ike, just do your best to stay safe and we'll be praying for you.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

I received an email from my sister around 7 tonight Central time. The winds were picking up and the lights had began flickering. She said she would try to send another at 8 and if I did not hear from her then, it was because the lights were out. So I guess electricity has already gone for her. She is a little concerned about her neighbor's trees. They are not real sturdy and if they fall, they will go through my nephew's bedroom. So they are staying together in the den tonight. I will be saying a prayer for them and everyone else impacted by Ike.
    Nana to Brad, Alex, Dustin and Connor

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone having deal with Ike. I've been watching it on TV and it looks nasty. Stay safe.
    TRACEY
    ºOº

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

Is everyone alright?
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

We came through the storm with just a few down limbs and tree debris - had some very high winds and a lot of rain - power out for a few hours but fared much better than originally forecasted. Thanks for the prayers!!!!
    June 1978 - Camping
    July 2004 - POR
    April 2005 - POR
    October 2006 - POR
    December 2008 - WL
    October/November 2009 - WL
    December 2010 - WL
    October/November 2014 - POP
    December 2015 - POR

Post Thanks / Like

We haven't heard from my brother but he is a police officer in Houston and on duty. I heard this afternoon that they had some 2000+ 911 calls in 24 hours so I doubt he has time to call!

Our own ABigKid from Intercot is out there also (I am sure). They could use some and some sleep!
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Post Thanks / Like

The pictures coming out of south Texas are awful!
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

My sister and her family and my Dad are fine. Thank you for the prayers!!
    Nana to Brad, Alex, Dustin and Connor

Post Thanks / Like

The pictures of all the debris are just horrendous. to everyone affected by the storm.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I read that a 4 y/o was killed by carbon monoxide poisoning, likely from the use of a generator inside his home. How sad.
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: