Quantcast First Disneyworld trip since the incident

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share that i'm bringing my family on a Disneyworld vacation for the first time! I'm even thinking of shipping my bmw bike out there to ride around the park, am I aloud to do that ?

So the last time i was at wdw was when I was a little kid , but I had a really bad experience when a seagull went after my cotton candy. It had a fishing line (and hook) entangled around it's foot and when my mom tried to shoo it away the hook caught her under the lip...

Needless to say I've had bird/disney-phobia since but I don't want that to prevent my own kids from enjoying such a great place.

So i was wondering if any of you have been to Disneyworld and know good places to stay with reasonable prices? (preferably kid-friendly). Is it better to stay outside or inside the park? Also, I've been doing a bit of research and came across some 'deals' like this, <snip>, but I'm not sure if it's good or not. Does it seem legit?

Anyhow, sorry for rambling. Hope everyone has a great labor day weekend!
    Last edited by TammiMcMan; 08-29-2008 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Outside link violates INTERCOT's TOS

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

WelcomeWe always stay on Disney Property. I suggest you contact Magical Journeys an Intercot sponsor. They will get you the best deal possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome and happy planning!

You won't be allowed to ride your bike around the parks. I wouldn't consider bringing it.

There are many advantages to staying in a WDW resort (WDW transportation, Extra Magic Hours), and with three levels of resorts to suit all budgets, I think there's really no reason to stay offsite. Check out the resorts section and see what might appeal to you and your family. You'll find lots of tips, recommendations, and discussions on travel deals here.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

to Intercot!

I personally think it is best to stay on property. If you choose to stay off site take into consideration the daily parking fees. If you stay on site you can take advantage of the Disney transportation and head back to you room with ease throughout the day.

So Sorry to hear about the Seagull - yikes! So much would have changed since you last vacation. As Disneymom15 said, book thru a reputable travel agent like Magical Journeys, or at least an agent that has experience with Disney. Considering looking into a Disney Guide such as Birnbaums.

Oh, and leave your new bike at home! They do not allow bicycles inside the parks and I have never seen one at a resort (I do not think they are allowed). Inline skating is not allowed in the parks or at the resorts either(Florida State Law).
    Lea-Ann
    The Creative Mind that Never Rests . . .

Dreaming of Disney.......
    Last Trip - Dec 14-21, 2012 AKL!!! Next Trip - TBA!!!

Post Thanks / Like

hmm!!! too bad about the bike! I suppose some good roller coasters will have to make up for me missing the rides Thanks for the advice so far!!

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Seagulls

My daughter also had an incident once with seagulls and cheetos, not at Disney though. They can be very aggressive. I also recommend staying on property. Many advantages and plenty of price options. We use Mei-Travel & Mouse Fan Travel
    Welcome back soon to the House of Mouse!
    18 days

'Tiggers are wonderful things'
    AKL
    All Star Music/Sports
    Big Red Boat
    CB
    Contemporary Garden
    Disney Institute Bungalow
    FW Campground/Cabin/Home
    Pop
    Poly
    POFQ/POR
    WL

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Intercot, MickeyGreenEyes! You'll find a wonderful community here, with info, advice, and opinions on pretty much anything you can think of.

I know quite a few Intercotees use travel agents to book WDW trips - but if that isn't your thing, there are plenty of us who book on our own by using the Disney website or calling WDW reservations on the phone. I think that preference boils down to how much work you want to do on your own. Whatever you choose in that regard, I recommend doing a bit of research so you and your family have an idea of what type of accommodations you'd like, how long you think you'd like to spend at WDW, etc.

I will also suggest staying on Disney property, if you have the means. It really immerses you in the "magic" and gives you a great break from reality (no driving, no cooking dinner, etc.). We really like the moderate level resorts - take a look at the photos here on Intercot of the various resorts and see what tickles your fancy. If you'd rather stay off property, for whatever reason, there are a lot of options to choose from, from other hotels/resorts, to rental houses (great if you have a larger family, or just want your own private house/pool/etc. to retreat to at the end of the day).

Have a great time reading up on WDW and planning your vacation!
    11/08: CBR, Off Site (fam)
    11/07: CSR, Off Site (fam)
    2/06-3/06, 12/06: Off Site (fam)
    10/04: CBR
    5/02: ASMu
    12/01: Off Site
    6/01: CSR (honeymoon)
    3/97: Grovesnor
    2/92, 6/94: CBR
    4/90, 2/91: Off Site
    2/89: HoJo (DD), Off Site
    8/88: Buena Vista Palace
    2/83, 2/84, 2/85, 2/86: Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

I think question number #1 for the on-site vs. off-site question is: How many people are going with you (including kids of all ages)?

If it is 4 or less, then I would never consider staying off-site. On-site accommodations for 4 or less people can be very affordable, especially when you consider the free transportation.

However, if you are a family of 5 or more, your options at Disney are almost exclusively expensive. Then, staying off-site might be worth seriously considering. Even then, I personally would have to get an obscene deal to stay off-site, but others feel differently.

So, how many people are going with you???

As far as deals, I echo the previous recommendations for using Magical Journeys. I have not used them yet, but after reading such high praise about them on this site, I am going to use them for future trips. I am a very controlling person, so turning over the reins to a travel agent would not normally be my style, but using them is FREE and can do nothing worse than save me money.
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

stay onsite if it works out for you financially, the perks of trasportation and disney immersion are worth it.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

I would highly recomend staying at an on-site resort. The perks will greatly ourweigh any slight cost increase.

psst....2 words....Magical Journeys.
    One little spark of inspiration, is at the heart of all creation.
    - Dreamfinder

July 1976 - offsite
    June 1988 - offsite

June 1991 - Disney's Village Resort
    June 1993 - Dixie Landings

June 2001 - offsite

APRIL 2009 - PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE
    Dec 2010 - Somewhere in the World, probably POP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flower View Post
    Oh, and leave your new bike at home! They do not allow bicycles inside the parks and I have never seen one at a resort (I do not think they are allowed). Inline skating is not allowed in the parks or at the resorts either(Florida State Law).
    Bicycles are allowed, apparently. I don't know about bringing your own, but from the Disney website, bike & surrey rentals are available at the following:

Disney's BoardWalk Inn Resort
    Disney's Wilderness Lodge
    Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
    Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
    Disney's Port Orleans Resort – French Quarter
    Disney's Port Orleans Resort – Riverside
    Disney's Old Key West Resort
    Disney's BoardWalk Villas
    Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground

I've seen them (and almost been schwined by them) at WL, and I know that people bike along the path from WL to FW.

Post Thanks / Like

to Intercot!!! I think you're going to like it here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by disneymom15 View Post
    I suggest you contact Magical Journeys an Intercot sponsor. They will get you the best deal possible.
    I'll second (or third) the suggestion to contact Magical Journeys. We usually book our own vacation but let MJ handle it this time and we are very satisfied. They saved us $700. They know all the ins and outs and can hands down get you the best deal.

As far as staying at a WDW resort, all of them are kid friendly. I would suggest you look at the resorts in the resorts section and figure out which ones appeal to you most. I would also figure out a ball park on what you find acceptable to spend on your resort. There are some great options out there. From the ultra affordable All Star resorts with the larger than life characters (think 25-30 feet tall) to the ultra expensive Grand Floridian with monerail access and some of the best service on WDW property. Make sure you think about how much time you and your family plan on spending at your resort and factor that into your decision.

Wherever you stay you are sure to have a magical vacation. If it makes you feel better I have never seen a seagull at WDW. They take great care these days of putting in animal friendly deterants for birds. If you look at the roof of many of the buildings they have spindles on them so that birds cannot land, etc. No one wants to fight birds away from their fries.

As far a bringing your bike I bet you won't be able to find the time to ride it. Especially if this is your first trip since you were a child and you are bringing your own children. Our oldest DD asks every year to rent a surrey and we have yet to find the time to do it. We are always too busy running around the parks or swimming in the pools.

Good luck, you came to the right place to ask for advice!!!
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyGreenEyes View Post
    . . . I'm even thinking of shipping my bmw bike out there to ride around . . .
    . . . if a bicycle, you can ride around most resorts
    . . . if a bmw motorcycle, you can ride on the WDW streets
    . . . you cannot ride in the parks

. . . I had a really bad experience when a seagull went after my cotton candy . . .
    . . . a common experience at WDW eateries
    . . . always guard your food
    . . . too many people feed the birds
    . . . so they keep coming back for more

. . . Is it better to stay outside or inside the park? . . .
    . . . flip a coin
    . . . there are advantages to on-site and to off-site
    . . . we sort of alternate on/off site for our vacations
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

i would start with magical journeys! they will help you navigate through the world and i would also choose to stay on site!! for us staying on site makes that trip a little more magic

playdead88

boardwalk villas may 2005
    boardwalk villas may 2006
    beach club villas april 2007

wilderness lodge april 2008
    DVC member april 08
    animal kingdom villas may 09

Post Thanks / Like

Staying on property is definetly a plus--as others have previously stated, not having to drive and pay for parking eliminates that hassle. It's magical when the bus picks you up at your resort and takes you to one of the parks, then takes you back at the end of the day.....love not having to drive on vacation If you can do a disney resort the value resorts are very nice. My DH and I usually stay at the moderates or deluxe resort--this past summer we stayed at ASMu and had a blast. I'm sure the other value resorts are the same but can't speak for them as we never stayed. ASMu is very kid oriented--lots of oversized characters and objects. At the pool, during the day, the lifeguards dance and play games with the children, it's cute to see. At night they play a movie on a blow up screen, it's like going to the drive in. We felt that the food court was great, a lot to choose from, large dining area to sit in and prices were reasonable for the quantity received. Though my DH and I prefer staying at a deluxe--because you can either walk or take the monorail from most, we had a wonderful trip at ASMu. The standard room has 2 double beds and though said to be slightly smaller than the moderates, we did not feel that they were. The room was clean and neat. Comparing value with moderate--you still have to take a bus from any of the moderates and they are more expensive. According to Birnbaum ASMu converted 400 guest rooms in 2006 into family suites--192 suites that sleep up to six, have 2 bathrooms, a master bedroom (with flatscreen tv), a kitchenette with counter space, sink, microwave, coffeemaker, and under-counter fridge. I'm not sure of the cost. Hope you have a safe and wonderful trip no matter what you choose.
    P.S.-can relate to having a bad experience. On our first and only 10 day trip my DH and I both got the stomach flu--down for the count for a total of 6 days--thank goodness we liked our room... to top it off...a shin splint too
    3/82 3/85 3/88 3/91-offsite
    4/92 Poly
    5/01 Coronado
    5/02 Yacht
    5/04 Yacht
    5/05 PO RS
    11/05 PO FQ
    5/06 Yacht
    5/07 WL
    5/08 AS Music 10/08 Dolphin
    5/09 Contemp 10/09 Boardwalk Villa
    5/10 Contemp-Atrium 10/10 Beach
    5/11 Contemp 10/11 Yacht
    5/12 Yacht cl 10/12 Dolphin
    4/13 Yacht cl

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that you won't have time to ride your bike around WDW. If you did, you would just be riding around the WDW roads (and the speed limit is low), but there isn't really much to see on the roads, just a lot of trees and once in a while a tall structure from the parks peeking out from the top of the trees.

My DH rode his cruiser down to WDW three years ago (I left my bike home - it needed new brakes - so I drove my car). Once we got to WDW, the bike stayed in the resort lot for the whole week. With four theme parks, two water parks, over a dozen resorts to dine in, plus Downtown Disney, you won't even give a second thought to your bike.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

There is nothing like staying on property to add to your WDW vacation

If you can afford to stay on property then do it.

18 Previous Visits

Most Recent December 2011 (POP)
    May 2012 (Disney Fantasy !)
    Sept 2012 POP Mom/Daughter Trip

Sept 2013 40th Anniversary Adventures Disney Ireland

2014 Check out MK Makeover!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SAHDad View Post
    Bicycles are allowed, apparently. I don't know about bringing your own, but from the Disney website, bike & surrey rentals are available at the following:

Disney's BoardWalk Inn Resort
    Disney's Wilderness Lodge
    Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
    Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
    Disney's Port Orleans Resort – French Quarter
    Disney's Port Orleans Resort – Riverside
    Disney's Old Key West Resort
    Disney's BoardWalk Villas
    Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground

I've seen them (and almost been schwined by them) at WL, and I know that people bike along the path from WL to FW.
    I forgot about the bicycle rentals at the resorts , But you are still not allowed to use them inside the parks.
    Lea-Ann
    The Creative Mind that Never Rests . . .

Dreaming of Disney.......
    Last Trip - Dec 14-21, 2012 AKL!!! Next Trip - TBA!!!

Post Thanks / Like

If you decide to stay off property, remember to find one that has a shuttle to the parks. Parking costs at least 10.00 if not 11.00 each day.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

I think they raised parking to $12.00 a day.
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: