Quantcast GF or Poly

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GF or Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Default GF or Poly

We are trying to decide where to stay for our 40th Anniversary next year in August. What are the pros and cons of both? We have been to the GF to eat and looked around a little and to the Poly for Breakfast. Other than that, we know nothing about them. Any hints as to which rooms, floors, buildings are best in each?
    Thanks!
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Poly, Poly, Poly.

I stayed in both earlier this year and I liked Poly a lot better. I had a standard room at Poly, and was upgraded to concierge for free at GF. Even if I was offered a free upgrade at GF, I would probably still take the standard at Poly. The rooms are newer at the Poly, and much nicer. The plasma TV at Poly is great, and there is much more storage and drawers at the poly. The ambiance is a lot nicer, and relaxing, wheras the GF was dead silent.

Post Thanks / Like

We've loved staying at both resorts, but we keep returning to the Polynesian every year. The primary reasons why we usually pick the Polynesian over the GF are: 1) the Polynesian's lush tropical atmosphere is unique and makes it feel like a vacation-within-a-vacation, and 2) we really like being able to walk to the TTC from the Polynesian to catch the Epcot monorail. I don't think you can go wrong with either resort, though. Have a wonderful time!
    ºOº April ºOº

Next trips: GF Sept. '14, WL Jan. - Feb. '15!
    Previous stays: WL, AKL, Polynesian, POFQ, Newport Bay Club (DLP), DL Hotel, GF, DxL

Post Thanks / Like

Both resorts have a totally different feel to them. We've been to the GF many times to eat, but have no desire to stay there. It's the Poly for us all the way!
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Since its your anniversary, why not stay at the Grand Floridian? Its such a beautiful resort!

I've stayed at both the GF and Poly and if I had to choose, I would stay at the GF. To me, the GF seemed to be less busy and a lot more quiet. The Poly was nice, but there were just too many people coming and going.
    '00 - Boardwalk Villas
    '04 - Grand Floridian
    '08 - Polynesian
    '10 - Grand Floridian!!!

GO WHITE SOX!

Post Thanks / Like

Default GF is my choice

My wife and I stayed booked a stay here on our 5th anniversary and it was everything we were expecting. When the manager learned it was our anniversary at check in we were moved to a beautiful corner room with views of the Poly and the Magic Kingdom. Also, a beautiful basket with champagne and sparkling cider (my wife was visibly pregnant at the time) were waiting for us when we returned to the room after our first meal...i'm sure our special event would have been recognized at the Poly as well....

Post Thanks / Like

I love Poly, it is fun and kid-friendly which might not be what you are going for. But at night poly can be romantic. You can go on the beach and watch the electrical water pagent and mk fireworks.
    I've never stayed at GF but its pretty and seems like an anniversary type-place!
    Dec 27- Best of Both Worlds Tour, Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus with Jonas Brothers
    Mar 21- Look Me In The Eyes Tour, Jonas Brothers with Rooney
    Aug 27- Burnin' Up Tour, Jonas Brothers with Demi Lovato, The Veronicas, and BIG ROB!

march 09 SENIOR TRIP

Post Thanks / Like

We prefer the GF, but it really depends on your taste. The Polynesian is our second favorite.

The GF is relaxed elegance, great shops, lovely rooms, two fantastic pools, and hot tubs. The Polynesian is casual, exotic, and you can feel whisked away to an island paradise if you walk the grounds and allow yourself to get lost in the fantasy. But the volcano pool is often crowded and the quiet pool is nothing special. No hot tub. Both have great lounges and restaurants. The GF has guest laundry in each building, but the Poly has one central guest laundry location. Otherwise, they are both amazing resorts in excellent locations.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

DH and I have stayed at the GF many times (honeymoon plus many return trips), and will be there again in October for our 12th anniversary. It's our favorite resort on property. It's elegant, yet comfy. Nice and quiet, especially if you stay in one of the buildings other than the main building (even though our concierge room on the Royal Palm level in the main building was beautiful).

We stayed at the Poly once, last December. We really enjoyed our stay, and would stay there again, but the relaxed elegance of the GF keeps drawing us back.

By the way....the GF has the plasma TV's, and a large chest of drawers for clothing. They also have a nice big closet. I found the storage to be equal to the Poly.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

If you haven't stayed at either, I don't think you're can make a mistake by picking either one. We've stayed at the Poly a couple times and are going to the GF next month for the first time.
    2012 - AoA
    2008, 2006, 2005, 2003, 2002, 2001, 1999, 1997, 1986, 1985, 1974, 1973
    When you're a little kid you're a bit of everything; Scientist, Philosopher, Artist. Sometimes it seems like growing up is giving these things up one at a time. - The Wonder Years

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone kind of give me an idea of what the rooms look like? I know some here described some of the GF rooms. Thanks! I like the idea of the plasma TV and quiet rooms. Are there preferred rooms or buildings at GF?

August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pixiesmimi View Post
    Can anyone kind of give me an idea of what the rooms look like? I know some here described some of the GF rooms. Thanks! I like the idea of the plasma TV and quiet rooms. Are there preferred rooms or buildings at GF?
    There are no preferred rooms or buildings at the deluxes. You'll find that both the GF and Poly are a little spread out, but you're still within a few minutes walking distance to everything.

Both resorts offer upgraded levels and rooms though. There are 2 concierges at the GF. One is located in the main building and this is also where the deluxe rooms are located and the honeymoon suites. There is also a lodge concierge, which is a bit smaller scale and has mainly standard room layouts. The Poly has a building set aside for concierge standard rooms and they also have an area with suites, including honeymoon rooms.

I've stayed in one of the larger honeymoon suites at the GF. It was a complimentary upgrade given to us a few years ago from a regular concierge room. It was huge and it was amazing.

Standard rooms are priced by view, which includes garden, water and theme park views. The next level room at the GF is a tower room, which is a bigger room and has a small living room type setup. Then you would go into concierge, deluxe and suites. The Poly has a similar setup with their rooms, but they don't have the tower room level. Both resorts have had their rooms recently renovated and the amenities are pretty similar.

A few differences include the GF having a hot tub where the Poly does not. The GF has pool side cabana rentals. The Poly offers a convenient location to the TTC for ease in getting to Epcot. The Poly has a much larger beach area with hammocks.

I don't think one is any better than the other, people tend to choose based on the theme that appeals to them the most and how the resort makes them feel when they're there.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Tammi. That helps a little bit. DH says he would choose the GF but I can't make up my mind. I love both. We stayed at CBR last year and I loved the island theme and am leaning towards the Poly but am getting advice from others to go with the GF. Decisions, decisions!

August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

Love them both but for an anniversary, I think I would choose the GF. If, however, I was staying for more than 3 or 4 days I would be very tempted to split my stay and enjoy them both.
    Happy Anniversary!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andreallybadeggs View Post
    Love them both but for an anniversary, I think I would choose the GF. If, however, I was staying for more than 3 or 4 days I would be very tempted to split my stay and enjoy them both.
    Happy Anniversary!
    Hmm! That is an interesting idea. Wonder if DH will go along with that. I have been reading about people doing this and thought it sounded like a lot of trouble but no further apart than they are, it might be an idea. I'm still not sure if I want to spend that much money on a resort we might not be in much but if we were going on a cruise, would probably spend that much anyway.

August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

Well, with all the help I got here, DH decided he would like to stay at the Poly. Yea! I'm still torn between the two but DH says the GF looks a little too fancy for him. He is the outdoors type. We watched a DVD tonight showing all the resorts. Boy! They all look great to me and wish we could go back often enough to stay at them all. But this is probably the trip of a lifetime for our anniversary and we probably will be going back to the moderates from now on except for special discounts and occasions. I tried to get him to split a stay between the two and at first he was game but then he decided it would waste too much precious time at the parks to pack up and move. I'm with him there! I think we will really enjoy the Poly and can't wait! Thanks for all your help!

By the way, do the Deluxes have food courts like the values and moderates?

August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pixiesmimi View Post
    By the way, do the Deluxes have food courts like the values and moderates?
    No they don't. The Poly does offer a counter service restaurant though, Captain Cooks. There's also the coffee bar and pool bar for drinks and some light snacks.

I think it's wise to choose the theme that you're most drawn to. The only drawback that I can think of is with the king beds. Hopefully a Poly expert can confirm this, but I'm only aware of king beds being available in their honeymoon suites. I don't think you can request one in a regular room. At the GF, they're also guaranteed with the honeymoon suites, but they do also offer some in their standard rooms (you just need to request it on your reservation). Considering it's your anniversary, I don't how important having one big bed is.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

It would be nice to have the King but I forgot to ask for it. Thanks for letting me know that they might not be available. We can make do without it, though, because they aren't always available in other hotels we stay in. It isn't a big deal to us. Do they have queens? That is kind of strange that Kings aren't available except in the honeymoon suites in a deluxe resort. Usually that is where you find them more often. We even had one in CBR.

Where is the coffee bar located? That in itself sounds good to me. We are just used to getting up and eating at the food court before heading out but that won't be a big deal as far as eating elsewhere since we will be so close to the MK. I kind of figured they didn't have one since they have the TS restaurants that the others don't have.

August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

Love all the comments. We have always preferred the Poly, but could not get the bounceback offer. We could for the GF and figured why not. We have never stayed there before.
    Besides it will be a great place to celebrate our 50th anniversary.
    Any suggestions on building choices? We thought maybe, Boca-Chica.
    1990-2000=20+
    2001 - Con
    2002 - Poly
    2003 - Con
    2004 - Poly
    2004 - Poly
    2005 - Poly
    2006 - Poly CL
    2007 - Poly CL
    2008 - Bdwlk Villas
    2008 - GF, Club Level
    2009 - Poly, CL
    2010 - Sept. BCV
    2011 - May BCV
    2011 - Nov. Poly
    2012 - May Beach Club Villas
    2012 - Sept Beach Club Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TammiMcMan View Post
    No they don't. The Poly does offer a counter service restaurant though, Captain Cooks. There's also the coffee bar and pool bar for drinks and some light snacks.
    Tammi, the GF also offers a counter service, Gasparilla Grill. Open 24 hours, like Captain Cook's, for premade items. During regular operating hours, they have a nice selection of breakfast items and things like chicken sandwices, burgers, and pizza.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: