Quantcast Live from FAY

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Live from FAY

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Live from FAY

Okay, I don't have a lot of time, but I'll do my best to give our trip overview so far...

BASICALLY - Everyone is putting up with the storm (more rain than anything else, some wind) by putting on rain gear and hitting the parks. Crowds are NOT as light as I would've thought... but that's fine. We're still here.

When in the world will FAY leave the state of FL?

Day 1 - Weds., 8/20
    We leave NY area on time and the flight is good; with TS Fay down in FL, we expected a bumpy ride. Captain was on the announcements 1 hour out of Orlando - had everyone buckle up and prepare for a lot of turbulence. We had about three bumps, and a very smooth landing at a rainy MCO.

DME was no quick venture, but we made it to the BWV by noon. Rooms not ready, but get this: I got a room upgrade! (DVC Members on points rarely if ever get such things! So we were pumped!)

We head into EPCOT with ponchos on. Crowds are medium - waits at TT, Soarin', MS are long (all over an hour). Even SSE was 30 minutes. We dined at Les Chefs (on a whim) and had a nice experience. FP for TT, rode Ellen, SSE, and hit Club Cool.

After a break at the resort (and unpacking in our room), we went back to the park. Rode TT and Donald the missing Duck adventure in Mexico. Brats and Beers in Germany sufficed for dinner. Illuminations was not crowded.

Something I've never seen before - Illuminations went off with NO fireworks - "No Pyrotechnics" in CM speak. The GLOBE was operating. The inferno barge was operating, but NO fireworks. It made for a weird show...

I hit ESPN enroute home to check scores, had a brew, then met up with the family for bed-time.

Day 2 - Thursday, 8/21
    Up early for DHS. We walked there (due to our location, even with rain, it's not a far walk).

Were about 10 back for the rope drop, and we headed for Toy Story Midway Mania. Good ride, barely any wait, FP lines were insane (the lines to GET a FP). By the time we got out of the ride (9:20 AM), FP times were 12:30 and Standby was almost an hour. That is one POPULAR ATTRACTION.

We rode RNR, TOT, and Star Tours. Our neighbors who are here with us were on Star Tours with us. My friend won an incredible WISH that we were part of. To summize, it was called the "Lights Motor Action TAILGATE PARTY." We were treated to lunch, VIP seating, backstage tour, and some free FP's to any attraction in the park (except TSM).

That's it for now. Just wanted people to know that parks are busy to medium, even with TS Fay in town. Raining on and off (and even peaks of sunshine at times!) but everyone seems to don the poncho and head out. Us included!
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing! Glad you are having a great time despite the rain. We leave in 3 days--can't wait!
    Yo Ho Yo Ho a Pirates Life for Me

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the 'live' update. Trips like this are just too important for rain to slow you down too much. Look forward to hearing more.
    Kim
    1st Trip - 1986 - Howard Johnsons in DTD for our honeymoon
    2nd Trip - Sept, 2006 - Wilderness Lodge for our anniversary w/2 sons 7 & 9
    3rd Trip - Sept, 2008 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report!

Glad that Fay isn't keeping you down and in the resort!

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing. Its great to hear about whats going on. Sounds like your still having a great time.
    November 2010 Disneyland
    December 2009 Disneyland
    March 2008 Disneyland
    December 2007 Disneyland
    September 2007 All Star Music
    August 2007 Disneyland
    October 2006 Offsite
    December 2003 POR
    June 2001 All Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the post. Sounds like you guys are making the best of it. I'm surprised to hear how long the lines are even in the storm.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you are having fun even with the rain. I hope the rest of your trip goes great.
    ~Beth~
    1st trip Nov. 24, 2006-ASmovies (4nights)
    Nov. 25, 2007-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Sept. 6, 2008-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Nov. 28, 2009 ASMovies (7nights)
    Nov 28, 2015 AOA (7 nights)
    December 10, 2016 AKL/Pop (7nights)
    Nov. 25, 2017 AsMusic (8 Nights)
    Next Trip March 4 AsSports (4 nights)

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

I'll add to this live update on this rainy and windy Thursday evening. So far we've been dealing with the storm pretty well, but tonight it became too much for us. The almost constant rain was joined by high wind gusts tonight, and it was bad enough for Illuminations and Wishes to be cancelled. We tried walking around World Showcase, but all the vendor carts were sealed up, and the wind and rain was just too much punishment. Hopefully tomorrow it goes back to JUST raining constantly.

Another minor issue with us on this trip has been the "new" automated bus dispatch system that WDW has been testing this week. Yesterday we waited 45 minutes for a bus from AK to BCV, while 5 EPCOT and AllStar buses came and went, 4 Saratoga Springs and Coronado Springs buses, but zero Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge or EPCOT resort buses. Obviously they have some bugs to work out with the system, and lots of people have been complaining to management.

We are still having a good time despite the weather and the buses. After all, it's hard not to have a great time here! But we've had to be extremely flexible with our plans on this trip, especially with the outdoor ones.
    Stan
    11/72 CR 10/73 PR 7/75 PR 7/77 PR 8/79 PR 7/81 PR 7/83 PR 7/85 PR 8/87 Grosvenor 6/89 PR 7/90 CBR 7/92 POR 8/97 POFQ 6/99 POR 9/00 BWV 1/03 OKW 6/03 POR 8/03 BCV 5/05 BWV 5/06 BCV 12/06 SSR 1/07 ASMv 8/08 BCV 1/09 BWV 8/09 PR 1/10 PC 5/11 PC 7/11 AKL&BCV 1/13 OKW 6/13 BCV&AKL 1/15 OKW 7/16 PR

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting report. The part about no fireworks at Illuminations was surprising. I would have expected the world globe to be gone, but to still have the pyrotechnics.

Post Thanks / Like

We appreciate your update, we are flying out of Milwaukee, WI tomorrow into Orlando. Just slightly worried about our landing at 11:30a.m. with the potential wind gusts. Will have to put on a brave face for DD's. We are going to La Nouba tomorrow evening, so, the rain won't spoil our day / night. Have our ponchos packed too, so, we still plan on doing everything we wanted to.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like your family is taking rainy Fay in stride and making the best of it. That tailgate dream sounded pretty cool. Congrats on getting to be a part of that. Thanks for reporting, and good luck with the weather.
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

My father's name was Ferdinand, my mama's name was Liza, they didn't know what to call me so they called me Ferdiliza!
    Billy Hill and the Hillbillies - "I'm OK!"

Please support INTERCOT'S wonderful sponsers!

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like you guys are making the best of it..hope it gets better weather wise..some time soon!!
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report, I hope we only get rain from Fay too

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update, sounds like you are weathering the storm well and making the best of it. Looking forward to hearing more.
    Danielle

First Trip: April 1977
    Last Trip:- June 15-June 27 BLT and Vero Beach
    Next Trip: June 20-30 Vero Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report. Sorry about the rain, but sounds like your making the most of a bad situation and having a good time. I hope it gets better.
    LIZ
    Disneyland-Too many times to count
    WDW
    APRIL 2005 - Offsite
    DECEMBER 2006 - Fort Wilderness
    OCTOBER 2007-Saratoga Springs Resort
    SEPTEMBER 2009-OKW

Natazu Guest

DVC upgrade, awesome. Almost makes the downpours worth it, huh Frank?

Post Thanks / Like

UPDATED

Friday, August 22

We hit MK in the morning - and the rain was just Non-Stop. We all agreed - we don't mind the ponchos occasionally, and we certainly can "weather a storm." But this is getting ridiculous!!! Three straight days with rain, rain, rain...

Hit all the major attractions (as well as others ), and as the day went on, the rain diminished.

Now before anyone thinks the rain actually "stopped," let me explain. We actually had some "breaks" where it didn't rain for a while. But then you'd get a deluge once again and the wind would be blowing the rain sideways...

We dined at the LTT for lunch, and we had a great server and meal.

By the afternoon, crowds were growing (schools in the area were closed, so I'm told), and weather *SEEMED* to be improving.

We left the park, back to the BW, and actually went into the pool. And guess what. It rained cats & dogs on us in the pool... UGH!!!

The evening found us in a wet, wet, wet EPCOT. We found ourselves in the familiar Rose & Crown Pub, and took turns taking the kids around WS to see characters or visit the two boat rides. These were often wet adventures.

So summize, weather is wet.
    Forecast is for still more wet.
    But we watch the news and are VERY GRATEFUL that we're here in WDW; the damage to surrounding communities is very, very bad. People are losing much and for whatever reason, government(s) seem slow in their response (watching TV, anyways).

Please pray for these folks; or at least keep them in your thoughts.

Anyways, it's Saturday morning. We're all awake, and we're looking at a...BLUE SKY!!! Clouds are moving by quickly (still lots of wind), but even with the "passing showers," the forecast is better than it's been in four days.

Grab those ponchos!
    Quote Originally Posted by Natazu View Post
    DVC upgrade, awesome. Almost makes the downpours worth it, huh Frank?
    Jym,
    I was shocked when we got a "DVC Upgrade." Never saw that coming. Upgraded room for four nights, upgraded view for all nine nights. Who woulda thunk it?

I see your buddies at FF tonight!!! Really looking forward to it.
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

I feel so sorry for the people in Florida, for a tropical storm Fay's been very hard on them...we are already get rain and winds from it even though its not supposed to be over us until tomorrow....on a positive note, it sounds like you guys made the most of it

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for the report!
    șoș David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

You're clearing Disney World troupers - soldiering on despite the weather! Thanks for keeping us updated!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: