Quantcast Buh-bye, globe! - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buh-bye, globe!

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Globe

The globe is essentially a spherical LED screen that opens into sections.

When they first announced it being added they must have said, "Our guests tell us they want less fireworks and more TV when they gather around World Showcase to end the day at EPCOT"

Illuminations, though a step down from original Illuminations is still one of my favorite things at WDW.

Globe or not let's hope WDW doesn't next tell us guests we only want Illuminations presented twice a week.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by passholderryan View Post
    I wish they would go back to the old illuminations. The one where they would single out each country, play music unique to each and light it up as the music played.
    I'm right there with you!

C

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, plans for Thursday night did not work out... forgot we already had plans. It's a good thing I have a wife or I'd never remember anything.

Anyhow, I'm going on Saturday. If anyone goes before then, post about it please!

K, Slater!
    I take the Ferry!
    26.08 , -77.54 , 210°, 0 kn...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    The globe is essentially a spherical LED screen that opens into sections.

When they first announced it being added they must have said, "Our guests tell us they want less fireworks and more TV when they gather around World Showcase to end the day at EPCOT"

Illuminations, though a step down from original Illuminations is still one of my favorite things at WDW.

Globe or not let's hope WDW doesn't next tell us guests we only want Illuminations presented twice a week.
    You mean you didn't say that? You seem to doubt their real reasoning.

Post Thanks / Like

{QUOTE=passholderryan;1713962]I wish they would go back to the old illuminations. The one where they would single out each country, play music unique to each and light it up as the music played.[/QUOTE]

I have only seen that version on video, and when I went to see it, it was the new version! I would love to see that in person!
    VMK: DaffyD
    Trips to WDW
    June 2001on my B-Day!Off Prop.
    August 2005 Off Prop.
    August 2006 ASMov.
    August 2008- Pop Century
    August 2009-ASMu
    April 2010-ASMu w/marching band
    Aug. 2011 ASMu
    Aug. 2012 Off Prop.
    Aug 2013 Off prop.
    Next:Aug 2014??

Post Thanks / Like

I for one am going to miss the globe. It always intrigued me to see other countries/cultures shown on it. You know you have been to disney tooooo much when you start nit picking the really cool things that made it disney in the first place. Illuminations is one of the most watched shows at WDW. I am taking someone who has never been and couldn't wait to sit with her through illuninations only now to find out it won't be a complete show.
    dm2K
    1993 - BC/Cruise; 1996 - BC; 1998 - BC; 2000 - YC; 2002 - FQ; 2004 - Campground/BC; 2005 - POR; 2007 - BWI; 2008 - AKL; Christmas 2010 - BC; 2011 - All Star Sports; 2012 - AKL & WL; 2013 - DL and CSR

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

The globe was there on Friday night as well. I'll try to check back later this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Get rid of the globe

I am so done with this version of Illuminations. I wish they had put it to rest with the Tapestry of Nations/Dreams parade way back. Illuminations 25 was the one I hope they would do something similar. And the original was so good as well. Just something new for people that come down to Disneyworld every year or so.

The only one I haven't gotten sick of yet is Spectromagic. I'm sure they will get rid of that soon as well.

Destroy the globe!!!....
    "Swoggle me eyes, it is Pan! Headed this way with some more of those scurvy brats!" - Captain Hook (Peter Pan, 1953) "He's a genius, Dawson. A genius twisted with evil. The Napoleon of crime." - Basil, of Ratigan (The Great Mouse Detective, 1986)

Post Thanks / Like

I won't be disappointed if this show is reworked and/or replaced. I loved Tapestry of Nations (and its parade!) and I liked the original Illuminations. Current version of Illuminations I guess I just don't get - especially all of the fire. I mean, it's an inferno and I don't understand what the underlying message is supposed to be - it's awful apoclyptic. The first time I saw all of that pyro I thought something had gone terribly wrong with the show - what a surprise to find out it is supposed to be like that.

Coming up! WL Villas, August 2 - 9 2013

WL Villas Aug 9-16, 2010
    POR Aug 4-11, 2008
    POR Aug 22-29, 2007
    POR May 4-9, 2007
    POR - May 2006
    POFQ - Dec 2005
    POR - May 2005
    POFQ - May 2004
    OKW - May 2003
    AKL - May 2001
    CBR Annually 1995-1997

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to buck the trend here. I like ROE better than the old Illuminations, and I LOVE the globe and am very sad it won't be there when I am in September.
    KUNGALOOSH FOREVER!!

"Will you stop this foolishness!!"
    "What kind of foolishness would you like to see?"

LAFITTE, LA, UNITED STATES( 674 MILES AWAY)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    That being said, I still think it's the best nighttime show in WDW. Wishes comes very, very close, but doesn't quite close the deal.
    i always flip flop between illminations and wishes
    Jimmy

Co-Host: The Disney Nerds Podcast

Post Thanks / Like

As of Monday night, the globe was still part of the show.
    Stan
    11/72 CR 10/73 PR 7/75 PR 7/77 PR 8/79 PR 7/81 PR 7/83 PR 7/85 PR 8/87 Grosvenor 6/89 PR 7/90 CBR 7/92 POR 8/97 POFQ 6/99 POR 9/00 BWV 1/03 OKW 6/03 POR 8/03 BCV 5/05 BWV 5/06 BCV 12/06 SSR 1/07 ASMv 8/08 BCV 1/09 BWV 8/09 PR 1/10 PC 5/11 PC 7/11 AKL&BCV 1/13 OKW 6/13 BCV&AKL 1/15 OKW 7/16 PR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by passholderryan View Post
    I wish they would go back to the old illuminations. The one where they would single out each country, play music unique to each and light it up as the music played.
    Totally agree 1000%
    DVC Member as of 11/09 BLT!!
    1992 Dolphin Resort
    1995 stayed off-site
    2002 All-Star Movies Resort
    2007 (Oct) Port Orleans French Quarter
    2008 (Nov )1 night at POP
    2008 (Nov) Old Key West Resort
    2011 (Jan) BLT 2 room suite!!!
    2011 (Oct/Nov) BLT 1 bedroom suite
    2012 (Oct) BLT 2 room suite :-)

Post Thanks / Like

I like the globe but it would be nice to see it the original way. It was my dads fave nightime show before he passed away so it would be kind of like being there with him all over again.
    °o° Traci ¨¨*:•

Next up, hopefully, Just me & my Honey Sept. 9-14 ASMu celebrating 30 yrs and my b-day. Thanks Denise from MJ :) for the help so far & answering all my stupid questions.

Countless previous trips

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the Wiki entry for IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth. It gives insight into the differently themed sections of the show (and thus why there's fire in the beginning). I've always loved this show (especially the score) and appreciate it all the more now that I know the "story" behind it.

I remember the original IllumiNations shows and honestly think you can't compare those to the current show. At least to me, everything about ROE - music, technology, execution, etc. - is just lightyears beyond the older shows. I hope whatever follows ROE down the road - whether it puts more of a spotlight on the WS countries or not - will also give us a nighttime show that's much more than just fireworks.
    11/08: CBR, Off Site (fam)
    11/07: CSR, Off Site (fam)
    2/06-3/06, 12/06: Off Site (fam)
    10/04: CBR
    5/02: ASMu
    12/01: Off Site
    6/01: CSR (honeymoon)
    3/97: Grovesnor
    2/92, 6/94: CBR
    4/90, 2/91: Off Site
    2/89: HoJo (DD), Off Site
    8/88: Buena Vista Palace
    2/83, 2/84, 2/85, 2/86: Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

I will miss the Globe. Fireworks don't impress me anymore. Living in Pittsburgh, the home of Zambelli International Fireworks Inc., we have fireworks for everything. Every friday night @ Station Square, fireworks night at PNC park a few times a month, every time a Pirate hits a homerun ( ok, that isn't often) , Light Up Night, Country Music Jamboree @ the Point, Three Rivers Regatta, New Years Eve, and let's not forget every Borough having their own display for the 4th of July !!! You get the point, we see fireworks here constantly. I personally liked the Illuminations R.O.E. show. It was something I don't get to see everyday.
    '72 Kissimee
    July '94 AS Sports
    Aug '05 AS Sports ( FREE DINING)
    Aug '06 AS Sports ( FREE DINING)
    Sept '08 POP ( FREE DINING)
    Oct '09 POP ( FREE DINING)

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be there Friday night, so I'll see if the globe is still there and report back if no one else already has.
    Tina

Life is a prize, live every minute...

Disney World x 100+
    Disney Land x 1
    Disney Land Paris x 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PittFan View Post
    I will miss the Globe. Fireworks don't impress me anymore. Living in Pittsburgh, the home of Zambelli International Fireworks Inc., we have fireworks for everything. Every friday night @ Station Square, fireworks night at PNC park a few times a month, every time a Pirate hits a homerun ( ok, that isn't often) , Light Up Night, Country Music Jamboree @ the Point, Three Rivers Regatta, New Years Eve, and let's not forget every Borough having their own display for the 4th of July !!! You get the point, we see fireworks here constantly. I personally liked the Illuminations R.O.E. show. It was something I don't get to see everyday.

I agree, but what I dont understand is both Disney and Pittsburgh use Zambelli. Why is it that Disneys fireworks are better than ours since Zambelli isnt too far away. Why dont we get a hometown discount since we use fireworks for everything. Dont forget though the pirates have regular firework nights and then we have the Skyblast nights. I think its almost hard to visit the city and not catch a glimpse of fireworks !!!
    Love my Pittsburgh Penguins and Penn State Nittany Lions !!!!

October 08 - Honeymoon CBR
    Wilderness Lodge- October 2010

CBR - Oct 2012
    Beach Club - Sept 2014

Post Thanks / Like

We were just down there for our Honeymoon last week and while at Epcot when it came to watching Illuminations we both agreed, besides the music, we didn't care for the show. Wishes on the other hand we would never miss in the parks or at the MK resort area. They definitely need to improve the show.
    Apr 87 - Offsite
    Mar 92 - Offsite
    Jul 99 - Offsite
    Aug 99 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    Jul 03 - ASMu
    Aug 05 - Pop Century
    May 07 - ASSp
    Aug 08 - Poly/ASMu
    Mar 09 - Pop
    Sept 10 - Pop
    Oct-Nov 11 - Pop
    Nov 13 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek
    Jun-Jul 14 - ASSp
    Jun 15 - Pop
    Aug 15 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TINKERBELL_82 View Post
    I'll be there Friday night, so I'll see if the globe is still there and report back if no one else already has.
    Thanks, Tink.

It was there last weekend, which means that they didn't stick to the planned schedule. So, who knows when they'll actually take it down. Tis the season to refurby, so if they're gonna do it, I'd assume it would be soon.

***added later***

Right after I posted this, I went to check Jason's "Tidbits" article. Doh. Should have checked there first. Here's what he knows:

Quote Originally Posted by Figment! View Post
    Due to further delays, Epcot Operations has announced the refurbishment for the Illuminations Earth Globe float has been rescheduled to begin August 21, 2008 and end Mid-September 2008. Although the consistent delays bring reasonable doubt to any scheduled date, this is the first date that has been internally announced to more than just those working on the project.
    That would be... TODAY! LOL. So, Tink, let us know if they stick to it this time!

K, Slater!
    I take the Ferry!
    26.08 , -77.54 , 210°, 0 kn...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: