Quantcast Cranky kid

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Cranky kid

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Cranky kid

My 10 yr old daughter takes massive tantrums over everything, especially when she doesn't get what she wants. She is so embarrassing, she even takes tantrums in public! My other kids are also embarrassed by her actions, recently, she took a tantrum in public over a piece of gum. I have tried everything imaginable, but nothing works, she just becomes madder. We are planning on taking a trip and we are afraid that she will embarrass us again. She has just started doing this.my other kids have not taken tantrums to this extent. Any advice??
    Thank you,
    motherof4
    Trips To WDW
    WDW-1991-Off Site
    WDW-2001-Off Site
    WDW-2005-Off Site
    Aug 2006 all star movies
    Aug 2008 POP Century
    Aug 2009-POP

April 2010-ASMu
    Aug 2011 all star music

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You mentioned she just started this. Have you taken her to a doctor? Perhaps it's a medical issue and not a behavour one. (things like blood sugar imbalances can influlence behaviour and so can other issues)
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

My son had the same type of issue, because we have not experienced this with our other children we had him examined and also spoke with his teachers. It turned out that he has ADHD. We also noticed that it got worse when he was over stimulated. On one of our trips to DW it had gotten so bad that we actually gave him Benadryl to calm him down.

Now if it’s not a medical issue the best thing to do is to ignore her. She could be acting out for more attention, does she receive that same amount as your other kids. I know my littlest one get very jealous when others play sports.

Good luck, but remember don't give-in it will only make it worse.
    ---------------------------------
    DVC Member Since 04/08 Animal Kingdom Villas

CS 5/2010, SS 4/2010, AKV 11/2009, BW 5/2009,
    SS 2/2009, SS 10/2008, POR 7/2008, WC 8/2007
    POR 12/2006, POR 10/2005, POR 10/2004, FW 10/2002
    FW 10/1993, OS 12/1989

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if this works for everyone, but I remember throwing a tantrum when I was a little girl, and my mom simply walked away out of the store. I think it ended up embarrassing me, and I never threw one again (for the most part )!

Might be worth a try, if it's something you haven't yet...

Good luck and I hope everyone enjoys their vacation!
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Post Thanks / Like

I know she's young but could she be starting puberty? It might be something to talk to a doctor about.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

ask her why she does it. Do this when she and you are calm, the other children are not around and try to talk with her calmly about it.
    My youngest would sometimes have "fits" and I would talk with him about it much later and he told me something that really opened my eyes. he said when he was in the middle of it he knew he shouldn't be doing it but "didn't know how to stop". I told him that when he feels that way he should walk away from whatever was making him feel like he was losing it. Sometimes it worked and some times it didn't.
    Also, IF she is doing this to embarrass you and get what she wants DO NOT give in. When my kids were little they tried to embarrass me in public to get their way. I turned around an embarrassed them more. They tended to stop much quicker when I would say "you want to see what embarrassment is??"
    You do need to talk with a doctor about this though it could be several things and 10 year olds do hit puberty, blood sugar, headaches, panic attacks, all kind of things could be the cause. Good luck
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Handling tantrums -

I recall once when one of my children decided to throw a tantrum in store. I did the exact same thing. They looked at me like I was nuts, and they were embarrased..... they never did that again.

In the car once, on the way to somewhere fun, one of the kids decided a hissy fit was in order. Without saying a word, I pulled off the highway at the next exit, got back on the highway heading towards home. The kids were all very disappointed, as was I, that our plans had changed. But they knew why, and we rarely had that problem again.

When tantrums don't work, when they do not get the desired results, they tend to stop. But let a tantrum succeed, just one time, and they'll keep trying.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post

When tantrums don't work, when they do not get the desired results, they tend to stop. But let a tantrum succeed, just one time, and they'll keep trying.
    And if you give in to tantrums you get traded from the red sox to the Dodgers.... Just ask Manny his temper tantrums always paid off for him.
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Handling tantrums -

In the car once, on the way to somewhere fun, one of the kids decided a hissy fit was in order. Without saying a word, I pulled off the highway at the next exit, got back on the highway heading towards home. The kids were all very disappointed, as was I, that our plans had changed. But they knew why, and we rarely had that problem again.

Good advice! I have done the same and it works for me. I never make a threat I don't intend to keep so when I say you better straighten up or we'll go home the kids know I'm not joking. I was actually on my way out of EPCOT once with a tantrum kid when she quickly decided to regain her composure. I would have hated to leave EPCOT, but I would have and she knew it.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

The most important thing is to NEVER give up on her. My cousin started her "tantrums" when she was just 3 and she's now 13 and finally got over them (After 10 years). It could take years of patience and love, but it's worth the wait.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually have also turned around and gone home, it does work. I would talk to her Dr. My son has Asperger's but rarely throws fits (that would draw attention to him and he'd rather go un-noticed ). One day in Wal-Mart he was screaming like a banshee and freaking out, even laying on the floor kicking because I wouldn't get him what he wanted. it turns out he also has sensory integration disfunction (sp?) The stimuli in the store, lights, people talking, beeping registers, etc. overloaded his senses. That day I left a full cart and left the store with him. After he calmed down I talked to him about it and to his dr. He didn't even want the thing he was bugging for, it was just a way to distract himself from how he felt overwhelmed.There could be a hundred reasons for it and she may not even know what it is. Just don't give in and don't give up.
    °o° Traci ¨¨*:•

Next up, hopefully, Just me & my Honey Sept. 9-14 ASMu celebrating 30 yrs and my b-day. Thanks Denise from MJ :) for the help so far & answering all my stupid questions.

Countless previous trips

Post Thanks / Like

Default cranky kid

LOL motherof4 (she is my mom)
    I (used 2) play vmk ! if u think vmk going down wasnt right pm me! Ps i luv high school musical, zac efron, gymnastics ,icot, disney, and webkinz! :)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cinderellabelle View Post
    LOL motherof4 (she is my mom)
    Are you the trouble maker?
    ~Angel~
    Proud DVC owners!
    SSR January 2007
    Bay Lake November 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Here we go again... View Post
    Are you the trouble maker?

Must be.
    No response.
    Must be grounded
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Handling tantrums -

I recall once when one of my children decided to throw a tantrum in store. I did the exact same thing. They looked at me like I was nuts, and they were embarrased..... they never did that again.

I think this is the best way to handle it....if it's not a medical condition. Follow through with everything. I can understand being embarassed, but who cares what other people think. Most of the time you'll never see the people around you again.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: