Quantcast Need Advice for buying a stroller

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Advice for buying a stroller

Hello. I have a 3 year old son who weighs about 35-38 pounds. I have a stroller right now but it totally stinks: hard to push, he seems to long for it. Anyways, I absolutely can't deal with it at Disney for 5 days. I thought about renting which still is an option but I am worried that I won't have a stroller for DD. So, I need suggestions on buying a stroller. I am looking to spend around 100.00, it needs to be easy to push, comfortable for tall people to push, and most of all be able to handle my sons weight. Thank so much!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a Graco LiteRider Stroller, spent about $60 on it. My DD is 3 and weighs about 35 lbs and it is very sturdy for her. I even have the double one of the same brand and my 5 year old 44lbs. sits in that with no problem.

The steering is very easy, lots of storage underneath and it folds up really easily as well. Great stroller for the money. We take ours to WDW. We walk around with it at the airport and take it right up the the airplane on our trips.
    Tara

"It's a Small World after all..."

Post Thanks / Like

Default choosing a stroller

We just visited Disney World in june and we too were looking for a stroller for our son. My son is 5 years old and 46 inches tall and weighs 41lbs I went to babies r us and tried many strollers with him and found that the Maclaren stroller was the best. It is a little pricey @ $150 but it is built very well and it is small so it works great on the buses. This stroller holds up to 55 lbs and is good for tall people to push my husband is 6foot five and he said it was comfortable to push. Since disney we have used it for a trip to Boston and several trips to the zoo, I think this is my new favorite stroller and we have had two others( a full size Eddie Bauer and a Jeep jogging stroller). Hope this was some help.

Post Thanks / Like

If your budget is $100, maybe it will be better to rent for those 5 days. You'll spend less. Then again, if you think you will re-use the stroller alot after the vacation, then do invest in a new one. I find that the Graco brands are best, especially the ones that recline for a nap. Much more comfy than any umbrella stroller. I've seen many with children asleep and the parents have to push it down and ride it inclined, breaking their backs all the way. The wheels are bad too.
    2000 - All Star Movies
    2001 - All Star Music
    2002 - All Star Sports & Coronado Springs
    2003 - Old Key West
    2004 - Pop Century
    2005 & 2007 - All Star Movies
    2008 - Pop Century
    2010 - DCL - Disney Wonder & Caribbean Beach Resort - Pirate Room

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carebears1stjt View Post
    We just visited Disney World in june and we too were looking for a stroller for our son. My son is 5 years old and 46 inches tall and weighs 41lbs I went to babies r us and tried many strollers with him and found that the Maclaren stroller was the best. It is a little pricey @ $150 but it is built very well and it is small so it works great on the buses. This stroller holds up to 55 lbs and is good for tall people to push my husband is 6foot five and he said it was comfortable to push. Since disney we have used it for a trip to Boston and several trips to the zoo, I think this is my new favorite stroller and we have had two others( a full size Eddie Bauer and a Jeep jogging stroller). Hope this was some help.
    We also have a Maclaren and LOVE it. We use it for DD's 5 & 7 on an as needed basis. If you shop around online you can find free shipping and some pretty good deals. I think we got ours for $120 with free shipping.
    April 29-May 3- Coronado springs! Engage celeb
    Feb 21-March 1- DCL Bahamas/PORS Royal guest
    November 15th-22nd Marriott's Grande Villas
    May 2-5th Wilderness Lodge surprise engagement!
    Nov 27th-Dec 4rd 2012- Art Of Animation
    March 7-13th 2012 Fort Wilderness cabin
    100+ since 1977

Post Thanks / Like

We bought the Graco Ipo stroller just for Disney last year. It is awesome and is under $100. It holds up to 50lbs, has a tall handle so it's comfortable for someone 5'11" to push, has storage space underneath, and folds up nice and small.

[link removed per Intercot's terms of service]
    Last edited by faline; 07-30-2008 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Link to external site

Post Thanks / Like

We also have a McClaren. I LOVE it! It is so lightweight and easy to push! It has decent sun coverage with the hood down and reclines! My DDs 2 & 4 love it! I use it everyday! It has been to WDW and Disneyland, among other places and we've never had a problem with it! It's very easy to carry on/off the buses with the attached shoulder strap! We have the Triumph, I think we paid around $120-150 for it and it was well worth the money! If you shop around, you can sometimes find really good deals, coupons, etc. Watch for free shipping on some of the internet sites!! Hope this helps!
    April
    Up Next: April 19-26th 40th Birthday
    Past trips:
    Dec./Jan.2001/2002 OP (engaged @ Castle!)
    Oct. 03 YC (6mos pregnant)
    May. 05 BC (DD 1st trip)
    April/May 06 DL (1st trip
    Oct. 07 BWI (DD2 1st trip)
    Oct. 08 WL (Grand Gathering)
    Dec. 09 Timeshare
    2011, 2013 POFQ
    Mar/Apr 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much for all of the suggestions. WE do want a stroller that will last for at least another 2 years, we live about 40 minutes away from Hershey park, and have a season pass so we use it there a lot.

If we did decide to rent at WDW, do you think it would be a problem if we didn't have one for DTD? This was my one reservation about not bringing our own. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I also see that Maclaren has a stroller called the Volo that is a bit cheaper. Does anyone have this one?

Post Thanks / Like

We debated the same thing last year about DTD. In the end, I was very glad that we brought our own strollers, as both the girls ended up falling asleep while we were there! I guess it depends on your child and whether you think your kids can handle the walking after a long day at the park, etc. As for the Volo, I don't have that one, what I do know is it does not recline. I would assume that it handles in the same way as the other Maclaren strollers. Hope you have a great trip!
    April
    Up Next: April 19-26th 40th Birthday
    Past trips:
    Dec./Jan.2001/2002 OP (engaged @ Castle!)
    Oct. 03 YC (6mos pregnant)
    May. 05 BC (DD 1st trip)
    April/May 06 DL (1st trip
    Oct. 07 BWI (DD2 1st trip)
    Oct. 08 WL (Grand Gathering)
    Dec. 09 Timeshare
    2011, 2013 POFQ
    Mar/Apr 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Volo for my 4 year old DS. I love it. It folds up so quick, great for when the bus is coming. It has a strap so you can carry it on your shoulder and is super lightweight. He is over 40" and fits in it perfectly. I bought it at Babies R Us in bright orange. It is easy to find in a crowd of strollers (great when there are a zillion strollers parked together). I have tried other strollers and none of them hold up to the rigors of Disney like this one. It also is part mesh which I find keeps him cooler and it dries out faster if stuck out in the rain. Buy this stroller you will not be sorry!
    8/08 POP (DH is coming too!)
    5/08 Day Trip (DH 1st Trip!!!)
    8/07 - Poly
    10/04, 8/05, 8/06 - POP
    6/01, 11/08 - POR
    8/99, 8/00, 2/03, 8/10 - ASMovies
    7/96 - CB
    6/93 - CR
    11/81 - Golf Resort

Post Thanks / Like

I found a brand new Silver Cross micro v2 on ebay for only $55. They are abour $150 normally, but I have seen instances of sales when they were anywhere from $49-$100. It's an umbrella style, though very sturdy. It has tall handles, so you aren't hunched over when you push it. it has storage underneeath and a shade. And it's lightweight (under 10 lbs) and folds up skinny with a carrying strap. It even has a carrying bag with a strap which is great for gate checking and on buses, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for the Maclaren. I have the Triumph, which I got at Babies 'r Us for about $120. It was on sale and I used a 15% off coupon. It has a sunshade and a basket underneath and it also came with its own rain hood. It does recline, so it's really a great value. If you can swing it, go for the Triumph. I love mine. Maclaren usually bering out new colors each year, so older colors can get discounted, so search the Internet for some deals. Good luck!
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marci View Post
    Thank you very much for all of the suggestions. WE do want a stroller that will last for at least another 2 years, we live about 40 minutes away from Hershey park, and have a season pass so we use it there a lot.

If we did decide to rent at WDW, do you think it would be a problem if we didn't have one for DTD? This was my one reservation about not bringing our own. Thanks.
    Renting may cost almost as much as purchasing a new one. Also they are pretty uncomfortable.
    April 29-May 3- Coronado springs! Engage celeb
    Feb 21-March 1- DCL Bahamas/PORS Royal guest
    November 15th-22nd Marriott's Grande Villas
    May 2-5th Wilderness Lodge surprise engagement!
    Nov 27th-Dec 4rd 2012- Art Of Animation
    March 7-13th 2012 Fort Wilderness cabin
    100+ since 1977

Post Thanks / Like

On Jon and Kate Plus 8, Kate raved about the strollers at WDW, so I just assumed they were good. Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for the Maclaren Triumph. Once DS turned one this is the only stroller we have used. I am 5ft9in and DH is 5ft11in. We liked this stroller because it was one of the few that had long enough handles so we wouldn't kick the wheels when we walked. I was able to find it online cheaper than at Babies R Us. It hasn't failed us yet on our 3 trips to WDW. Definitely worth the few extra $$$
    If only everyone was as happy as Goofy is...
    89 - offsite
    90 - Disneyland
    93- offsite
    May 01 - POR
    May 06 - AKL
    February/March 07 - CS
    Nov/Dec 07 - Offsite
    Sept/Oct 08 - POFQ and DCL Wonder
    May 10 - WL
    Nov 12 - AoA
    Nov 14 - CBR

Next trip - January 2016- POR - My first 1/2 Marathon

Post Thanks / Like

Another Maclaren lover! Used it over July 4th weekend in all those crowds - handles/steers effortless and agree with the "no hunching" while pushing. I wanted the Volo when shopping because of reasons posted (mesh to keep cooler...) but have the Triumph. It is well worth it and if you use it more...even better!
    ---------------------------------
    DVC Member Since 04/08 Animal Kingdom Villas

CS 5/2010, SS 4/2010, AKV 11/2009, BW 5/2009,
    SS 2/2009, SS 10/2008, POR 7/2008, WC 8/2007
    POR 12/2006, POR 10/2005, POR 10/2004, FW 10/2002
    FW 10/1993, OS 12/1989

Post Thanks / Like

DD is 3 and we have a Maclaren Volvo and a Chicco. The Maclaren holds up to 55 lbs. but does not recline. The basket is nice but no drink holder. I also have a Chicco C6 style that reclines slightly and is very easy to manuever. We are bringing the Chicco to Disney in Sept. as is does recline every so slightly. We took the Volvo last trip and DD kept falling forward when sleeping. Both models are lightweight and fold easily for the buses. They both have carrying straps and small baskets. Both work well for an older child that does not want to ride in the stroller full time.

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote here for Maclaren. We recently bought the Techno XLR. It was very pricey but seems to be worth every penny so far. I don't think that I would go for the Volvo as reclining is an important feature to us but I think that the Triumph would be worth the extra money.
    Kim & Danelle

August 2000 - All Star Movies
    August 2001 - All Star Music
    August 2005 - All Star Movies & Pop Century
    May 2006 - Port Orleans Riverside
    May 2007 - Port Orleans Riverside
    September 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

the joovy caboose - we have the orange one and lemme tell ya its awesome! there is a bench seat in the back which is way cool my dd loves being able to stand on the platform - it makes it easy to hop in and out of - by far the best stroller we ever owned
    playdead88

boardwalk villas may 2005
    boardwalk villas may 2006
    beach club villas april 2007

wilderness lodge april 2008
    DVC member april 08
    animal kingdom villas may 09

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: