Quantcast Air tran airlines?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Air tran airlines?

Anyone with experience on airtran? What did you think? Would you do it again?

thanks
    Simbajr4ever!

Planning 2014
    May
    September

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Flown with them twice

We've flown with them twice out of BWI - no problems at all, and are using them again in Sept.
    Mel

Fort Wilderness - and Off property condo - 1980ish-2006
    First Trip Home MNSSHP Oct. 06. - OKW
    07 SSR - Jan and Preggo and the Poly - Oct

Baby's 1st trip - OKW Jan 08
    Land and Sea - Wonder and POFQ - Sept. 08
    SSR - Happy New Year! Jan 09

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LilBugsMa View Post
    We've flown with them twice out of BWI - no problems at all, and are using them again in Sept.
    I read they are included in the airline check in programme part of magical express is that true?

&

What type of boarding do they use? Is there assigned seats or the cattle merge technique?

any other info appreciated, thanks sj
    Simbajr4ever!

Planning 2014
    May
    September

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simbajr4ever View Post
    I read they are included in the airline check in programme part of magical express is that true?
    Yes - they are a participating airline with DME.
    Quote Originally Posted by Simbajr4ever View Post
    What type of boarding do they use? Is there assigned seats or the cattle merge technique?
    There are essentially two options with Airtran.

Option 1 - when you book your flight, you pay an additional fee (I believe it's between $5-10 per seat) to reserve your seat. Can get pricey for round trip flights for larger families.

Option 2 - Seats are assigned at check-in. In this case, when you check in (24 hours in advance from home, or the morning of your departure from WDW at DME counter), your seats are assigned.

You could, of course, check in at the airport, and then seats will be provided for you then.
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

We're also flying AirTran in Sept. We didn't pay the extra to reserve seats. When we are assigned, will we be sat together?? We have 3 small children.
    January 1993-Off Property
    September 1996-Dixie Landings (POR)
    September 2006-Pop Century
    September 2007-Pop Century
    September 2008-Contemporary
    May 2009-Caribbean Beach
    Oct/Nov-2011-Wilderness Lodge
    December- 2013--Pop Century
    May 2015--Give Kids The World

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferS. View Post
    We're also flying AirTran in Sept. We didn't pay the extra to reserve seats. When we are assigned, will we be sat together?? We have 3 small children.
    The simple answer is: MOST likely you will.

Airtran does not "guarantee" that you will be seated with each other. However, there are several factors that work in your favor:

1. Check in ahead of time - as in 24 hours before your flight from home. Also check in early from your resort (return flight) at DME. These early check-in's will help ensure that you are seated together.

2. I've been on flights where they ask people to voluntarily move as there are families aboard not seated together. This has worked out on board (my experiences).

The worst I've seen is when one parent might be separated. I've never seen children seated without at least one parent, and frankly, I'm not sure Airtran would allow it to happen.
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Do keep in mind that, like most other airlines, AirTran does change scheduled quite often, up until about three weeks prior to your flight, when they send you or your travel agent notification of the final change (if any). You should keep an eye on your reservation online, and if you don't like any of the changes they make to your reservation, consider contacting them to see if they're willing to change you to more amenable flight (but be prepared for the possibility that your only options will be to accept their change or get a refund and start over).
    bicker
    Don't take it personally, it's only business!

Post Thanks / Like

We have been flying Air Tran since '99 and really never had a major issue. There was only one instance where we had a HUGE flight delay and were stuck at the Orlando airport for the better part of the day. that was in January and due to some freak snow that hit Atlanta and threw everything off. But even then, they compensated our wait with not only an upgrade to first class, but gave each of us vouchers for a free flight to be used in the next year.

On our last trip to Disney, my husband was unable to go. My kids and I drove down with my parents, but then were going to fly home as my parents were extending their trip to other parts of Florida. I too worried about me and the kiddos all having our seats together. I made a trip to the concierge desk at POFQ the night before our flight and they were able to pull up the on line check in for AirTran and let me hand pick our seats Took about 5 minutes of my time.
    Jen

Always ready to talk Disney
    Grand Floridian**Contemporary**Polynesian**Wilderness Lodge**Yacht Club**Dolphin**Port Orleans French Quarter**All Star Movies**All Star Music**POP Century**Disney Wonder**Disney Magic**Disney Dream**VWL**Old Key West**Animal Kingdom Lodge**Bay Lake Tower

Post Thanks / Like

The only issues with airtran I have had was changing flight times, but it is months before usually and they will let you cancel without a fee(this happened to us this year). Probably is I had to give up my $74 flight unless i wanted to go the day before or the day after.

As far as sitting together, I would pay extra for it. Before they had the pay extra, I had assigned seats for myself and my 2 daughters, but when it came time to get boarding passes we were separated. It ended up the only three seats together left on the whole plane was the last row(no window and very cramped)..... they said they could not ask people to move. In hindsight, I should have asked people myself as I doubt they would have wanted to fly 2 hours with my kids while I was rows ahead of them reading a book. I hate having to pay the extra, but I wouldn't take any chance.
    MK 1980 FOUR hours(July & 105) * Nov 04 POLY.. with my 2 princesses *Nov 05 Contemporary *Nov 06 split stay Cont/POFQ , making memories with my 21 yr old neice who has cancer. Sweet Lindsey passed March 2007 :(
    Nov 07 WL *Nov 08 VWL *Nov 09 Bay Lake Tower WDW/DC/SW/DCL*April 2011 B2B Disney Dream

Post Thanks / Like

If you are traveling with your family and sitting together is important to you then you should pay ahead for your seat assignments. You really can't expect other people who paid for their seat assignments to move their seats. If you don't then try as Maleficent's Dad suggests and you should be ok. Also, click the seat assignments button on the flights page. That will tell you how full the flight is. If most of the seats are already take then you might want to reserve yours too. However, if there are alot of open seats and rows then you should be ok waiting until check in to get your seats.
    Sept 2005 - All Star Movies
    Sept 2006 - Pop Century!
    Sept 2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    Sept 2008 - All Star Sports
    Dec 2008 - All Star Music
    Aug 2009 - Coronado Springs
    Dec 2009 - All Star Music
    Aug 2010 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

We're flying AirTran for the first time this December. We got the reserved seating, since it's just the two of us. Glad to hear they offer good service.
    I love Walt Disney World!!!!! :)
    A Happy Visitor since 1974!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I just got out tickets with Airtran for our upcoming trip in Dec. I was thrilled to get nonstop flights for $63 each way. I have not flown with AirTran but after reading the previous posts - I'm not too worried anymore. I did get the reserved seating because we are a family of 5 and I looked at the seats that were already reserved and I figured it would be best to reserve seats to guarantee we'd all be in the general vicinity. And I love the price--I have been shopping for airfare for awhile but couldn't find anything for under $275 roundtrip -and with a family of 5 - that's a bit too much--so when found the Airtran at $126 roundtrip - I jumped on it.
    08/07 Ft. Wilderness Cabins (WAHOO!)
    10/06 All Stars Music (me & dd)
    6/06 POFQ
    6/05 Ft. Wilderness Cabins
    1/05 Offsite and Ft. Wilderness Cabins
    8/03 Offsite
    3/02 Offsite
    9/99 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

We just flew AirTran in Dec- family of 4 w/ kids ages 6 & 8-and I did not pre-reserve any seats. When we checked in, we were all seated together. I have noticed that the hold some seats sporatically throughout the plane-possibly to accomodate families.

We love using AirTran and plan on using them again in November.
    All Star Sports-Hurricane Jeanne & Old Key West-2004
    All Star Movie, Old Key West, Coronado Spring-2005
    Wilderness Lodge-Club Level-2007
    All-Star Movies-November 2008
    AKL-Jambo House, Club Level - Feb 2011
    Contemporary Resort-May 2014
    Grand Floridian Resort- November 2015

Post Thanks / Like

AirTran just changed our DNs' flight home. They're connecting through Akron OH (huh?!?). I hope that's okay, given that they're 15 and 10, traveling only with each other, but all the non-stops are gone so there is no other choice.
    bicker
    Don't take it personally, it's only business!

Post Thanks / Like

No frills, no problems. Going AirTran again in September.
    Autism Awareness-Solve the Puzzle
    June 1989-Off Site
    May 2002-Off Site
    October 2006-All Star Movies
    March 2007-All Star Sports
    March 2008-Pop Century
    September 2008-Pop Century
    October 2009-All Star Movies
    February 2010-Dolphin

November 2010-Birthday & Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

We are planning to try Airtran on our trip in March because we can get 5 RT tickets for 1097.50.
    Missouri Nurse
    Me (Kim), DH (Kenny), DS (Charlie)
    DD (Kimbra) DD Kaitlyn

March 2008 offsite-First trip Me and Kids
    March 2009 POR First Family Vacation

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: