Quantcast Child ID Tag

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Child ID Tag

Post Thanks / Like

Default Child ID Tag

Hi,

I searched for something similar on the site with no luck. I'm looking for a suggestion for an ID tag for my little one in case she happens to get separated from us in the parks. Ideally I was thinking of something that would provide my wife's or my name and number to call.

Anyone have any ideas or practical experience with something like this?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.mypreciouskid.com/temporary-tattoos.html

I like the temporary tattoo idea.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the temp tattoos for my kids as well and also just found out about Road ID tags as well.

I just got one of these shoe tags for my running shoes for ID when I run.

Just another option.

- Fryguy
    - DVC Member Since 2001 (WL & SS)
    - Cisco CCIE

Post Thanks / Like

When I took my nephew I went to the local pet supply store and made a dog tag with my cell # and tied it into his sneaker shoelaces.
    ~~Allison~~ °O°
    Snarky will miss VMK!!!

Happy DVC BWV owner since 1998!!
    PoTC: Rusty Saber, a Proud Seafury!

Post Thanks / Like

I love the tattoo idea! I was going to do shoe tags for DD, then I remembered she's wearing crocs while we're there.
    "That’s the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." ~Walt Disney

Disneyland 1987
    WDW 1992
    POFQ 6/25/01-7/1/01
    POP 6/26/06-7/1/06
    POP 8/4/08-8/9/08
    POR 8/5/09-8/12/09
    POR 10/27-10/31
    Next Trip- POR 6/23-6/28

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

Just remember that CM's are not allowed to physically touch the children so if it's something small, we may not see it. Most parents use the tattoos, or permanent marker on their arms.

That way it is visible.

Post Thanks / Like

In 2006 I made small laminated cards with my name and phone number that we put in DS short pocket or shoe depending on what he was wearing that day. He was 5 at the time and helped store it every morning so he knew wear it was and he knew to give it to a cast member if Mommy and Daddy got lost.
    2011 Oct 29- Nov 5 MNSSHP
    2010 Nov 5-13 POFQ MVMCP
    2008 Nov 8-15 POFQ MVMCP
    2006 POFQ
    2000 Poly Honeymoon
    1987 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I have used Who's Shoes ID tags and was very please with them. If your child wears the heel piece to the front on his/her crocs as many do, you could still slip the who's shoes around that part.

I'd never heard the temporary tattoo idea - that's a good one!
    1980 off-site
    1988 off-site
    1995 CBR
    2006,2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013 SOG
    2014 DoubleTree Suites

Post Thanks / Like

As a girl scout leader, when taking our girls on trips we would have them decorate an index card that contained emergency information including our cell phone numbers in case we were separated. The day of the trip we would saftey pin the index card to the inside of the bottom of their tshirts.
    Let's Go Phils!

First trip: CBR Halloween 2007
    Last trip: WL September 2008
    Next trip:WL September 2009

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." ~Walt Disney

See, and on the shirts, we will never know it's there and we can't physically check for it.

Sometimes a child will be so upset that they can't communicate with us and it's hard to get that information out of them. I remember having a little boy who was so upset he was almost hyperventilating and couldn't even get his name out.

So in that situation, having the tags on the inside is useless for us, not to mention it can lead to all kinds of trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

So Jessica, as a CM, what do you recommend using to identify a lost child? Temporary tatoo or bracelet or something else? I'm trying to decide what to use on DS just in case something should happen and wnat to know if there's something you see or are trained to look for the most.
    5/04 - Caribbean Beach
    5/05 - Caribbean Beach
    11/06 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Honeymoon)
    6/07 - Caribbean Beach
    10/08 - SSR (for DS's 1st B-day)

DVC Owners @ AKV as of 4/08
    Next Trip: 6/09 - SWW!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OhToodles! View Post
    So Jessica, as a CM, what do you recommend using to identify a lost child? Temporary tatoo or bracelet or something else? I'm trying to decide what to use on DS just in case something should happen and wnat to know if there's something you see or are trained to look for the most.
    Agreed! I think the insight of a cast member would be very helpful. My only concern with the tattoos is them wearing off due to any number of reasons. Some of the velcro bracelet thingys is what we're leaning toward, because to her it will be jewelry.

Sharpies on the arm work well because they don't come off that easily in regular rain or water (but you can use rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover to get it off). I've seen parents put signs on the back with their info (which is fine because it's outside, in a visible location). The bracelets might work if they know what it's used for. I've seen stickers on the front that have the info on them. If you put it on their shoes, I'd suggest a bright neon color so it stands out.

Just avoid putting it somewhere inside their clothes. Like I said, we can't physically touch them so anything that is hard to see would be difficult for a CM to get to. If they are older, give them a piece of paper to give to us to make sure. Also, make sure they know that we are good people who will help them if they get lost and that they know where to find a CM (usually by a ride or shop) and point out the name tag so they can identify us.

Post Thanks / Like

How about the lanyards with the plastic pocket - you can put a card with the info on it inside - it will not get wet and the kids will not object because it is "mickey themed" also a number of other people wear them - and they can attach pins if they want
    GMGDISNEYMOM
    6/14 BCV
    7/13 DL-Paradise Pier
    4/12 AKL
    12/11 SSR
    11/10 VWL
    11/09 AKL
    4/09 FWC
    10/08 - VWL
    6/08 BV (1st DVC trip!)
    1/08 - AKL
    4/07 - FWC
    12/96 - OKW
    5/88- C
    11/84 - LBVV
    11/77 - C

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJessicaSparrow View Post
    Sharpies on the arm work well because they don't come off that easily in regular rain or water (but you can use rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover to get it off). I've seen parents put signs on the back with their info (which is fine because it's outside, in a visible location). The bracelets might work if they know what it's used for. I've seen stickers on the front that have the info on them. If you put it on their shoes, I'd suggest a bright neon color so it stands out.

Just avoid putting it somewhere inside their clothes. Like I said, we can't physically touch them so anything that is hard to see would be difficult for a CM to get to. If they are older, give them a piece of paper to give to us to make sure. Also, make sure they know that we are good people who will help them if they get lost and that they know where to find a CM (usually by a ride or shop) and point out the name tag so they can identify us.
    Thanks for the tips. That's great information.

Quote Originally Posted by gmgdisneymom View Post
    How about the lanyards with the plastic pocket - you can put a card with the info on it inside - it will not get wet and the kids will not object because it is "mickey themed" also a number of other people wear them - and they can attach pins if they want
    That's not a bad idea. I may actually have something similar to this from a previous trip. I'm all little paranoid so we may use a couple of these ideas.

Thanks to all who replied!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJessicaSparrow View Post

Thanks Jessica for the input. The Sharpie is a good idea - and by far the cheapest! With the bracelets I worry about them being removed - unless you get the type that they use for EMH that almost have to be cut off.
    5/04 - Caribbean Beach
    5/05 - Caribbean Beach
    6/07 - Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

There is a careful balance that has to be made here to be sure that the information is visible and detailed enough that a CM can find it and make the connection to Mom or Dad but not so much information that a bad person could use it to lead a small child into a bad situation. I am no expert but I would think that only first names should be used and since you will be at WDW only use a cell phone number and not a home phone number.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    There is a careful balance that has to be made here to be sure that the information is visible and detailed enough that a CM can find it and make the connection to Mom or Dad but not so much information that a bad person could use it to lead a small child into a bad situation. I am no expert but I would think that only first names should be used and since you will be at WDW only use a cell phone number and not a home phone number.
    100% agree!
    5/04 - Caribbean Beach
    5/05 - Caribbean Beach
    6/07 - Caribbean Beach

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: