Quantcast Northwest Airline Changes

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Northwest Airline Changes

Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 8:26 AM EDT, Orlando Business Journal

Northwest Airlines Corp. will cut 2,500 employees and increase fees to address high fuel costs, the company announced Wednesday.

"Our fuel costs have more than doubled in the past year," Doug Steenland, president and CEO, said in a press release. "These reductions are a direct result of our extraordinary fuel costs and the necessary actions we must take to right-size our airline and eliminate unprofitable flying."

In June, the Eagan, Minn.-based company announced plans to reduce flights in the fourth quarter by 8.5 percent to 9.5 percent in comparison to the fourth quarter of 2007. As a result, the company is reducing front-line and management personnel in all employee groups through voluntary programs such as voluntary leaves and early-outs. Vin Parker, a Northwest spokesman, said furloughs will be a last resort if voluntary programs don't meet the targeted reductions.

Northwest Airlines Corp. agreed in April to merge with Atlanta-based Delta Air Lines Inc. (NYSE: DAL). Delta is the third largest airline serving Orlando International Airport, according to the Orlando Business Journal's 2008 Book of Lists.

The airline will also add a $15 fee to the first bag, a charge that will go into effect July 10. Northwest charges $25 for a second bag and $100 for a third. Checked bags have been a no-charge service for years, but in recent months other airlines have begun charging for even the first checked bag.

A service fee for WorldPerks Award tickets will be in effect Sept. 15 with a charge of $25 for domestic tickets, $50 for Trans-Atlantic tickets and $100 for Trans-Pacific tickets. And a ticket change fee will increase from $100 to $150 starting Wednesday for domestic flights and international flight ticket changes will increase by an additional $50 to $150 per ticket.

Steenland said the company hopes to generate $250 to $300 million a year from the fee increases.

Northwest (NYSE: NWA) is the ninth largest airline serving Orlando International Airport, according to the Orlando Business Journal's 2008 Book of Lists.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Joy. Something else to save for.
    Contemporary Resort, 06/03
    Pop Century Resort, 6/05 and 12/08
    Disneyland's Paradise Pier, 10/06
    Carribbean Beach Resort, 09/07
    Coronado Springs Resort, 01/10
    Wilderness Lodge, 6/14 - The Susie Angel Celebration
    Pop Century Resort, 02/16 - Princess Half Marathon

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

And this is why I use Airtran or Southwest when we travel to Disney. I'm not sure how the legacy carriers are going to stay in business if oil continues to stay this high.
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

I did get an e-mail from Northwest today saying that if you bought your tickets BEFORE the July 10th date, you were exempt from the $15 baggage charge. However, you still gotta pay the $25 for second bag, $100 for third.
    Contemporary Resort, 06/03
    Pop Century Resort, 6/05 and 12/08
    Disneyland's Paradise Pier, 10/06
    Carribbean Beach Resort, 09/07
    Coronado Springs Resort, 01/10
    Wilderness Lodge, 6/14 - The Susie Angel Celebration
    Pop Century Resort, 02/16 - Princess Half Marathon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MushuGrl View Post
    I did get an e-mail from Northwest today saying that if you bought your tickets BEFORE the July 10th date, you were exempt from the $15 baggage charge. However, you still gotta pay the $25 for second bag, $100 for third.
    1) But, for us business travelers, no such charges!
    2) I don't pay for extra or overweight bags.
    3) You get such perks at most airlines, if
    . . . you pay full-fare coach class
    . . . you fly first class
    . . . you are a gold or platinum elite flier
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofster View Post
    I'm not sure how the legacy carriers are going to stay in business if oil continues to stay this high.
    I have heard this term "legacy carrier" before and always wondered just what the definition of a legacy carrier is and who some examples of that would be. Can you fill me in?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    I have heard this term "legacy carrier" before and always wondered just what the definition of a legacy carrier is and who some examples of that would be. Can you fill me in?
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Referring to the airline industry, a "Legacy Carrier" is an airline revolving around a hub & spoke network and a corporate structure. In the U.S. market, the term specifically refers to those airlines that flew interstate routes prior to the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978. (Although Southwest Airlines began service in 1971, it did not serve destinations outside its home state of Texas until after deregulation.)

Legacy Carriers mainly include:

First Class/Business Class
    Lounges
    Frequent Flyer Programs
    Alliances
    Frills/Perks throughout the cabin (food, beverage, better service)

While mainly used in the United States (See "The Big Six" Below), other examples of legacy "mainline airline" carriers from around the world include Air Canada, Avianca, British Airways, Lufthansa, LAN Airlines and Aeromexico.

The "Big Six"

American Airlines
    Continental Airlines
    Delta Air Lines
    Northwest Airlines
    United Airlines
    US Airways

Other American Legacies not included in the "Big Six"

Alaska Airlines
    Hawaiian Airlines

~~~~~~~

Others that would be considered "legacy airlines" if they were still in business would include PanAm,TWA, Eastern and several others that have gone belly-up. Unfortunately, over the next few years, we're likely to see others join their ranks.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

I read an AP article in the Detroit News today that said that the airlines are going to start cracking down on oversized carry-on bags....
    You know, the roll around ones that will in no way fit in the sample box at the gate......
    Already I've seen families at the airport using their children as "pack mules" to avoid the baggage charges.......
    Wells
    "But...I don't want to go among mad people."

"Oh, you can't help that," said the cat, "we're all mad here"

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: