Quantcast I'm about to have a nervous breakdown!! - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I am also going to vote to downgrade the meal plan. We get the regular meal plan and pay out of pocket for breakfasts and sometimes for lunch if we do a 2 table service place for dinner. For breakfast for me and my boyfriend, it's no more than $20 combined. I get waffels or eggs, bacon and milk and he gets pretty much the same. The waffels are HUGE so they are more than enough. As for lunch, you can get stuff that won't break the bank and is more than enough food. Also, like Wendy said, your estimated cost may go down once the 2009 packages are released in a few months. Don't start stressing yet. Worse case scenerio, if your package doesn't change in price when the 2009 prices come out, just downgrade the dining plan. Trust me you will have more than enough food! Also, a downfall to the Deluxe Dining Plan is that it includes more table service meals. You might regret getting it cause a lot of your time will be spent eating or getting to and from meals. As I write this, I don't recall if you've been to Dinsey recently, but if you have to leave one park to go to another park or resort for a meal, the travel time could be quite long. You have to give yourself AT LEAST an hour to get from one place to another, unless you use the monorail.
    Disney World
    May 1995 - Off Site
    January 1998 - Off Site
    January 2001 - Off Site
    July 2001 - Off Site
    August - September 2005 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    September 2006 - Pop Century
    December 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    New Year's 2010 - POP
    May 2010 - Caribbean Beach

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you seen how much food the dining plan gives you?
    Why not get a fridge and have fruit, cereal and a bagel for breakfast? And then go with counter service for the other two meals except for a few table service meals. Check into the menus for the counter service. I have heard good things about many of them. And you can't go wrong in World Showcase. That would save a lot of money. And then if you need to cut back even more stay at POP!

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coloradowendyl View Post
    2009 rates and Packages are not out as of yet. No travel agent, even us lol, can give a 2009 package price or any price other than a non guaranteed 2009 room only rate! A non guaranteed room rate will be quoted by Disney at 2008 peak season pricing until the 2009 rates actually release.

That is why I posted earlier that the OP should just relax and wait until the rates are released to see what the cost would actually be for her trip!

Wendy
    OOPS! Sorry, I didn't see (read) your signature. My bad!!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh gosh, yes, totally downgrade to the regular dining plan. It really does take care of everything.

Use the snack point to grab a pastry or fruit for breakfast, use the counter service for lunch and use the table service for dinner.

I loooooove food, but the deluxe just sounds like way too much. We did the basic dining last trip and were stuffed to capacity.

You can also do three squares without the dining plan and save a ton of money if you just stick to Counter Service places for all meals, including your resort food court.
    Coming Soon.....
    March 2011 - Beach Club

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with BronxTigger (i.e. no dining plan at all).

In my opinion, the dining plan is no longer worth the value, and you can likely eat for the same amount of money - or even less - by paying for meals out of pocket.

With the recent changes to the dining plan, tips are no longer included, and the appetizers for the table service meals have been removed. Essentially, you are almost 'forced' to eat dessert to get the value from the daily price of the meal plan.

Of course, none of us know what the 2009 plan will be, but you can always add the dining plan on at a later time.

As others have mentioned, you'll have a refrigerator in your room, and lots of options for meals throughout the parks, resorts and Downtown Disney.

Intercot has all the menus (including prices) in the Information section, so you can get a feel for what you'd actually like to eat throughout the day and how much it might cost. If you have the time, you can do a little comparison to see if the dining plan would work better for you (remember some restaurants require two table service credits).

And yes, breathe! You're going to Disneyworld!
    '90 - High School Trip
    '05 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '06 - Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon!)
    '08 - VWL and BCV

Next Up:
    '09 - Wilderness Lodge Villas

Post Thanks / Like

First I would turn your reservation over to Magical Journeys. They will take care of getting you the best deals. That's what they specialize in.
    I would also only go with the basic Dining Plan. Even my nephew Joe couldn't eat all the food they give you on that plan never mind the bigger dining plan. And you can use your "snack" credit to get something light for breakfast instead of a big meal then. Or just pay out of pocket for breakfast as it's the least expensive meal of the day (usually).
    If you can I'd stick with Port Orleans. The value resorts are great but I had no patience with getting from them to anywhere. It seemed to take forever! But then I'm spoiled by staying at the Dolphin for most of my trips.
    And if you go with the Mod, Port Orleans French Quarter is smaller and you'd have less walking to do so it wouldn't be as likely to trigger an asthma attack, if that's one of your triggers.
    Also, take advantage of any links here that may offer discounted passes. Even if you only save a few dollars, it's more in your pocket. And check with your employer to see if they have any companies that they do business with that might sell tickets. I just signed my company up with a vendor that gives us a great deal on passes. I'd gotten the info through my BIL at UPS so I've used them before and they were reputable.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Take a deep breath. Breathe out. Breathe in. Breathe out....

Okay, now relax just a bit!

You really need to wait for the 2009 packages and rates to be released before you can make any decisions.

However, based on current packages/DDP, I would down grade to the regular DDP and possibly a value resort room, as well.

With the Deluxe DDP, you will be spending about 6 hours daily dealing with TS. Getting to your ADR, waiting to be seated, and actually dining. That's going to cut into your park time big time!

And, while POR/POFQ is a lovely resort, the values can be a lot of fun--for significantly less money! Slightly smaller rooms, but for the two of you, that shouldn't be an issue.

So think about the alternatives while you wait for the 2009 information to become available. Then you can review the options and pricing and determine what will provide a wonderful experience for you and your mother without breaking the bank!

Post Thanks / Like

Drop the dining plan all together-buy food that you can eat in the room for breakfast and then eat as you go and as you need when in the parks or at your resort ( POR is beautiful). I have found that all the sit down meals take away alot of time from your day and you will need to plan way ahead as to which park you will be in for your meals. I need to eat 3 times a day as well as snacks and find I do very well without the dining plan (I am much older than your mother as well)

Post Thanks / Like

I would say go down to the regular DDP because, if you do your research, you can maximize your food. You can just pay for breakfast OOP instead of paying the big $$$ for the DxDDP.
    ~Cristabel~
    Disney World 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Default ca sera

I think that you will find deluxe dining to be a bit over the top. haha, imagine that with disney. You will spend your whole trip eating. As a matter of fact, my friends come to me with Disney advice and I never ever suggest getting a dining plan when they haven't ever ben there. It uses up a lot of your time in the parks, you have to get to your reservation and if you dont know "the World" that may be frustrating to you. I understand she needs the meals so get the reg dining and if you have a day you don't have breakfast then use your snack to go to MK bakery and get a cinnomin roll for a snack they are huge and delish! If you got park hoppers you can take that option out and just do a bit more planning, we didnt do hoppers this time because we have seen the parks and we think hopping wastes a lot of our day. You can vow not to eat out til then and save some money. You can take this time to "eat healthy" and be good to your body and you will be suprised how much money you save.If you havent yet, get a disney chase card, it really is a good deal. I wouldn't downgrade from your resort though. You will be much happier where you are. Once the rates come out, you can play with the dates on their website and you will find that one week to the other the rates change quite a bit, pick a date that gives you the best rates. Believe me, I understand the freak out. We have given Disney $6100 in the past 18mths and we are a little concerned about our trip, however, we also know that life is precious and time cannot be purchased for ANY amount of cash. You will find that somehow life has a way of taking care of you; if you believe that to be God, the earth, or whatever it is.......something out there is going to find you through this. So, keep your plans, rebudget your life as to what you can do without between now and then, downgrade in little areas that won't upset your trip, and when you get there have fun!
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

We've never had a dining plan, but from what I read here, it seems like folks with it spend all their time eating, or waiting to eat. We make two or three ADR's and just "wing it" the rest of the time. It's so much more fun.:
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

I soooo feel your pain, its a trip of a lifetime, you've got to get it right,we come all the way from the UK and we felt that the basic dining plan is plenty plenty plenty.

Walked through POR never stayed, it looks FANTASTIC, but definatly not worth getting youself into debt. If you stay at a moderate like Carribean you will not be dissapointed. Remember its DISNEY they dont do anything by halves.To pay a little bit less doesnt mean you get less 'Disney Magic'.
    1991 CBR
    1996 ASS
    2006 PC
    2008 PC
    2010 BC
    Next visiting May 2012 YC

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of people have said it. Douglas Adams said it best,

"DON'T PANIC!"

I personally think that the Deluxe Dining Plan is way too much food. Even if you or your mother need(s) three square meals a day, it's way too much food. All you will be doing is moving from one eating venue to another.

Not that that is a terribly bad thing...

Downgrade to the regular dining plan and just relax, breathe and have fun. Or just pay for food out of pocket.

As for the resort, I would recommend Port Orleans French Quarter to you. It is smaller than any other resort so there is less walking involved to anywhere in the resort including food, pool and buses. You share buses with Riverside but most of the park buses drop you off first at the end of the day.

You may be tempted to request a disabled accessible room. I would only do this if either of you are in wheelchairs. We ended up in a disabled accessible room last trip. It is a nice room, but there is no bathtub! If you or your mother suffer from discomfort from your condition, as my beloved wife does, I am sure you would rather have a nice bath at the end of the day instead of a shower with a shower seat.
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

The basic ddp gives you alot of food. I think sit down meals are great but they take up alot of time

Good luck
    Moe
    1991 CBR, Honeymoon
    2004 POFQ
    2005 BC & Poly
    2006 Yacht Club
    2007 Yacht Club

2009 Boardwalk Inn
    2010 Boardwalk Inn
    2011 Boardwalk Inn

Post Thanks / Like

Actually from what I've gathered from people on the Deluxe Plan....they choose it so they can eat at several Signature Restaurants, not because they need more food....

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

I would NOT get rid of POR - because it is a lovely, moderate resort, and is incredibly relaxing. ( And it sounds like you need to relax)

That said, I would definately drop down your deluxe dining plan to basic. Now check your finances. Still tight? if your finances are still tight, then I would TOTALLY drop the dining plan. You could do much better on your own. You can bring your own box of cereal, and buy milk and bananas in the food court.
    The mods have a small fridge for you to put the milk in. You don't have to eat breakfast in your room EVERY day, either.

and P.S. My asthma is always fine when I am in Disney in the cooler months.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: