Quantcast Garden Grill Lunch Ends 10/08 & Liberty Tree Tavern Character Dinner Ends 1/09 - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Belt Tightening

I don't blame Disney for cutting expenses. I'm not even surprised. The rising costs of fuel must be a big issue at WDW with driving costs up and flying costs over the fence.

I just wish they'd say they're cost cutting rather than some blather about "listened to our guests"

I wonder how the DVC members feel about changes like this? How many families looked forward to years of LTT character meals with their children and their children's children?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I can actually believe that for LTT. I mean there's a big shortage of sit-downs at MK anyway and 50% of them were character meals before.

But why GG? I mean Epcot is loaded to the gills with non-character meal places to eat. I don't get this one at all.

Personally, I think the entire thing is bogus. It's a money saving move. I mean think about it ... the way they always justified the outrageous prices for their character buffets was by comparing them to dinner shows.

Now they're going to have the same prices and no characters?? That's shady if you ask me.

I agree with your assesment of the situation. It's always about the bottom line..right or wrong, that's just the way it is with Disney..or any company for that matter. Just seems a shame, we enjoyed Liberty Tree Tavern. Was always a nice way to end a day, and then see the fireworks. Our kids have grown up going to Disney..first trip with them all was '91..and we've seen a lot of changes over the years. Guess these latest cut backs are just going to be added to a host of changes that we reminisce about. Too bad..I'm sorry to see it go.

I think when you go to the MK..you expect it to be about fantasy, and the characters are a part of that. Our family is grown now..and we still enjoy them. When we don't want a character interaction..we schedule something for Epcot or Downtown Disney. Shame about the Liberty Tree.
    Phyllis

Post Thanks / Like

The Liberty Tree move makes sense the more I think about it. I mean, you already have character dining all day at Cinderella's Royal Table and Crystal Palace, plus it's the MAGIC KINGDOM for Pete's sake! It's not like there are no other character opportunities around. LTT is in one of the most "adult" areas of the park. I don't mind it being turned into a more adult restaurant too. Now, if they were to mess around with the Columbia Harbour House THEN they would be in trouble!

As far as Garden Grill goes, that makes less sense considering there are tons of "adult" restaurants at the park. I don't really see the need to take out a character meal there unless they plan on putting one somewhere else. Of course, I used to be able to walk in there without ADR's in the pre-dining plan days, so maybe it's just not doing the kind of business year-round to justify the lunch.
    Walt Disney World:
    93, PO FQ
    94-95, Caribbean
    96, Off Site
    99, Coronado
    00, Caribbean
    03, Poly & Wilderness Lodge
    04, Pop Cent
    06, Contemp
    07, Beach Club
    07, Pop Cent
    09, Pop Cent
    10, Off Site
    11, PO FQ
    12, Coronado
    13, Off Site
    14, PO FQ
    16, PO RS

Only 1110.89 miles...

Post Thanks / Like

Between these changes & PI...I geuss I will just wait and see.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Red Randal View Post
    The Liberty Tree move makes sense the more I think about it. I mean, you already have character dining all day at Cinderella's Royal Table and Crystal Palace, plus it's the MAGIC KINGDOM for Pete's sake! It's not like there are no other character opportunities around. LTT is in one of the most "adult" areas of the park. I don't mind it being turned into a more adult restaurant too. Now, if they were to mess around with the Columbia Harbour House THEN they would be in trouble!

As far as Garden Grill goes, that makes less sense considering there are tons of "adult" restaurants at the park. I don't really see the need to take out a character meal there unless they plan on putting one somewhere else. Of course, I used to be able to walk in there without ADR's in the pre-dining plan days, so maybe it's just not doing the kind of business year-round to justify the lunch.
    What I liked about Liberty Tree was that the characters were old standards. Mickey, Minnie,..Goofy, that sort of thing. Also..we're not much into the Cinderella thing anymore. I think it's great especially if you've got a little girl. However, once you're passed that age with the kids..or want a character interaction that isn't so...hmm..girlie...your options are more limited. The pooh and friends strikes me as more for really little ones. That's why we will miss the Liberty Tree character dining.
    Phyllis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SHORTY View Post
    Wow! People asking for less character interaction is very un-disney like
    The LTT character meal will be greatly missed by us. It's been a must do every vacation.
    Actually, I can understand this. Especially from adults coming to Disney without kids. I have actually gone to lunch at LTT just so we could have a meal where we got to choose our food. And on our last trip, after dining at Sci-fi my parents were commenting on how nice it was to eat a meal with out stopping every few minutes to take pictures of the kids.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

I'll add my voice to the chorus disappointed with the decision to remove the characters at LTT. That's a meal that we enjoy with our kids every trip. As fate would have it, our next trip with the kids won't be until late January '09. Oh well.
    "They've done research you know...60% of the time, it works every time"

Post Thanks / Like

My understanding was that the GG lunch was simply being discontinued. Maybe I didn't read that correctly, but even that makes little sense. As has been stated, there are a dozen noncharacter table service locations at Epcot, and comparatively few character MnGs.

I liked the LTT, but that restaurant never seemed to be big enough for the characters to move comfortably around the dining room.

Personally, I've always felt that Disney should do more character meals with different characters. Crystal Palace (Pooh Bear), the Castle (princesses), Ohana (Lilo and Stitch), and the Studios location? (Playhouse) are great because of the more unique characters. Seriously, how many places do we need to meet Mickey and Goofy? I'd love to see a Pixar char. meal. Or Adventurers, like the men that match with the princesses (Aladdin & Genie, Beast, even Herc). Or what about a Star Wars meal during the weekends? Of course, with a son, I wish something existed as a complement to the princess stuff. Well, a dad can hope.

Post Thanks / Like

That stinks, we love going to GG for lunch and a break and this is probably the best character interaction, even if we are day guests.

Post Thanks / Like

Just made our ADR this morning for LTT.

January 4, 2009....the last night for their character dining.
    Randy

It all started with a mouse. WD

*85 thru 98 - Offsite
    *Oct 99 - CBR
    *Aug 02 - CBR
    *May 03 - Offsite
    *May 05 - POFQ
    *Sept 05 - POFQ
    *June 07 - Offsite
    *July 07 - Offsite
    *Oct 07 - POFQ
    *Dec 07 - Offsite
    *May 08 - Offsite
    *Sept 08 - CBR
    *May 09 - POFQ
    *Lost count!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Figment! View Post
    Internally it has been justified as addressing Guest complaints that there are too few non-character, table service dining options inside the parks.
    According to website that contains Disney news it is being reported that it is due to budget cuts because the stockholders are looking for a bigger profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey91 View Post
    Does anyone have a good email and snail mail address we can all write to?
    I have heard that there is a petition with over 4000 signatures on it already. I don't know where it is but you might want to google it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    My wife and I have been there twice without kids and we went to the Character Meals as much as now with the kids. I go to WDW to be a kid again (that's really why I hate all the alcohol over at Epcot-not very kidlike). Taking out character meals is really a dumb budget cut, if that's what it is.
    Same here. My DH and I have no children but love to go to Disney, find characters and have character meals. I'm glad we are going to LTT this Oct. The ONLY reason we are going is because of Character Dining. I can easily make the food that they serve at home and honestly don't care to eat when I'm dining out. But I really want the character experience so we'll be eating there. It is a shame that Disney is making these budget cuts. I understand PI closing. It costs an awful lot of money to run a club. A lot more than most people think. If they replace it with some late night restaurants with live music (like HOB or Raglan Rd.) it will be a smart move. However getting rid of characters in the restaurants I feel isn't a smart move.
    Go Nashville Predators!
    9/09 ASMo
    10/08 ASMu
    9/07 Caribbean Beach
    1/07 Marriott - family trip

9/06 Coronado Springs

09/03 Coronado Springs - Honeymoon
    10/99 Coronado Springs

06/96 Old Key West
    07/93 Beach Club
    12/91 Offsite - High School Trip

Post Thanks / Like

cost cut..unfortunately a lot of the recent cuts are affecting CMs.
    why dont they take the princesses away from Akershus & leave 1 of the others?
    while i really appreciate the princesses
    the old buffet meal was a lot better before.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a bit on the fence with these changes.

The one I'm more wavering on is the removal of the LTT character meal. First thing I have to say though, with the thought of full disclosure, is that the one time my brother and I ate here for dinner the food was horrible but the characters were fun. On one hand, it's nice at times to be able to find a non-character meal, and MK is definatly the hardest one to find a non-character meal in. On the other hand, the removal of the one character meal with Mickey and friends is an odd choice. I doubt they'll do anything about the princess meals, but there are 2 Pooh themed meals now at Crystal Palace. From my perspective it would've been better to either remove the characters from the CP dinner buffet and leave LTT dinner intact, or to change at least one of the Pooh themed meals to Mickey. I clearly wasn't one of the "guests : asked though.

Honestly, the GG lunch removal doesn't bother me as much. Dinner is still avaliable for meals with characters. Although it's odd that they're removing a lunch time meal place, as other posters have mentioned, it's not like Epcot is particularly lacking in places to eat. Another thing I'm curious about is if the restaraunt is permenatly rotating or if it has to be turned on. The restaraunt would loose some of it's charm if it's not rotating. That could be another way in which Disney is trying to cut costs, and not necessarily just because it's a character meal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BelleLovesTheBeast View Post
    According to website that contains Disney news it is being reported that it is due to budget cuts because the stockholders are looking for a bigger profit.
    1) I do not believe it.
    2) The parks generate HUGE profits.
    3) What hurts is the bonuses of executives.
    4) It is Ogre (I mean Iger) that is charge.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stock

Quote Originally Posted by BelleLovesTheBeast View Post
    That's It!

The answer to Disney World cost cutting is buy Disney stock!

That way, when we hear, "No more extra magic hours" We can say, "Whee! Up goes the dividend!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    That's It!

The answer to Disney World cost cutting is buy Disney stock!

That way, when we hear, "No more extra magic hours" We can say, "Whee! Up goes the dividend!"
    I already own stock - DD got it for me for my birthday a few years ago. Granted, it's just one stock, but maybe with all these cost cutting measures I'll see more than the .30 cent or so dividend I normally get.

Post Thanks / Like

I am sadden about LLT as I felt this was a very special dinner. If they want more sit down why don't they create some more places to have a sit down meal. They have so much space to expand. One place they could add a TS is in Toon Town.
    Hugpug

Have stayed at FW,ASM,POP,WL,CS,POR,POFQ,CB,POLY,Grovesnor,Offsit e over the years past. LOVED THEM ALL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harriet View Post
    One place they could add a TS is in Toon Town.
    That would be a really fun location for a character meal!
    ºOº April ºOº

Next trips: GF Sept. '14, WL Jan. - Feb. '15!
    Previous stays: WL, AKL, Polynesian, POFQ, Newport Bay Club (DLP), DL Hotel, GF, DxL

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie97 View Post
    That would be a really fun location for a character meal!
    My hope has and always will be that they add a Blue Bayou or Blue Lagoon restaurant to pirates.....as they have in Cali and Paris.....

One of the best meals i've ever had at any disney location was at the blue lagoon in disneyland paris.....

wonderful experience.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    My hope has and always will be that they add a Blue Bayou or Blue Lagoon restaurant to pirates.....as they have in Cali and Paris.....

One of the best meals i've ever had at any disney location was at the blue lagoon in disneyland paris.....

wonderful experience.....
    I agree -- we also have enjoyed wonderful meals at both of these restaurants... another great idea for WDW.
    ºOº April ºOº

Next trips: GF Sept. '14, WL Jan. - Feb. '15!
    Previous stays: WL, AKL, Polynesian, POFQ, Newport Bay Club (DLP), DL Hotel, GF, DxL

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: