Quantcast Day 3-Our LAST vacation with family

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Day 3-Our LAST vacation with family

Today is going to be a good day. No matter what anyone says, they aren’t going to ruin my vacation. So here’s our story…

I decided that since on the previous day everyone was upset because I woke them up, then complained all day about what we were/were not doing and how tired they were, but refused to go back and rest, I would let them sleep in. I woke up, made my coffee, showered, and dressed, with my family in tow. They woke up with no problems; after all, they were in Disney. I bumped around, started the washer with some clothes trying to encourage them to wake up. No such luck. So I decided they could sleep. After all it was their vacation as well and they may not like to get up and go that early. And we could catch up later. How dare I do such a thing…?

Before we could get to the bus stop, the phone was ringing, “Where are you, why did you leave us…” So I explained to them that they kept on and on about how tired they were and yesterday morning, they fussed about how early it was when I woke them, so I decided to let them sleep. Errrr, wrong answer. So I had to listen to that, or at least let my older DSis think I was anyway. BrieAnna caught up before the bus arrived. Two things should come to mind at that point. She got dressed quick, and why we were still at the bus stop. The busses were horrible. We had been waiting for a good 30min for the EPCOT bus. Enough said.

We headed to EPCOT and hustled to Soarin’, but got FP instead. This day, we ended up renting a wheel chair for DS1 (Gray). His feet were killing him, and we wanted to take no chances with them. Since he’s had as much surgery on them as still fights with some contractures, infection can set in quick with any blisters on his graft sites. But I must say we never used it to gain any advantages, only to keep his feet happy. He wasn’t happy with it but dealt with it.

Before noon we had hit Soarin’, Mission Space, and Test Track. That was tough, but we did it and had a ball. By this time DSis (Robin) and her kids had caught up and now I had to face the music. Oh well, I just explained that she was an adult and this was her vacation also. If her kids were tired she should take them back to rest, not drag them around kicking and screaming to hang out with my kids. I had given her 13months to help me plan this trip and to give me some input as to what to do each day and she provided minimal info. At this point I was not her alarm clock, travel agent, care taker, or events planner. She needed to take some time to spend with her family and enjoy some things with them together. Things that my kids enjoy, as older kids, may not be fun for her kids, especially the 6yo. We resolved it for the moment, and ate lunch with our respective families, BrieAnna, caught in the middle, ate with her. By 3pm all of her friends at home had heard how terrible I had been. Too bad for me…

Anyway, we finished the day together and returned to our resort to clean up for dinner. My family’s favorite was up tonight, ‘Ohana. We arrived about 30min before our reservation time and the attendant at the podium, bless her soul, was able to get us a table by the window. It was FABULOUS!!!! All the kids learned the hula, ran in coconut races and sang happy birthday to an absolute stranger. And the food was to die for. The only thing was I wish they still had the bowl of shrimp rather than on the skewers.

After dinner, we were all pooped and ready to turn in for the night. Robin and her family were in bed fast as lightning. But before turning in they all asked where were we going tomorrow, what are we doing, where are we going to eat… I just sat back, answered them with something vague, and just tried to grin and bear it. I have to say I have the best kids. They’ve played along though they have gotten irritated as well. They had a great time and didn’t let the family drama get to them. I love my boys. And as for Jeff, he’s my sounding board. He just lets me vent, gripe, & moan, but also keeps me in check bringing me back into line when I go overboard. He, by the way, was irritated more so than I was by the end of the day.

Good night, sleep tight…Tomorrow is DHS…as one big happy family…
    °O°Amy °O° DVC Member
    2011 Dec-Poly with the grandparents--whoo-hoo!!!
    2011 June-SSR!!!!!
    2008 Aug-Colbey&Gray's Birthday surprise-SSR/OKW
    2008 June-SSR
    2006 June-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 Easter-CSR
    1988 May-Graduation
    1982 Offsite
    1980 Offsite

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting trip report, we had experienced something similar when we did the whole family thing, and you’re not alone. One smart thing we did and happy about, was we secretly tacked on 2 extra days for ourselves. This was easy to do because we drove and the rest flew. We actually covered more ground those last two days then we did with 6. Never Never, Never again, never say never because it probably will happen again. Hang in there, trust me you will look back and remember the good times you did experence.
    ---------------------------------
    DVC Member Since 04/08 Animal Kingdom Villas

CS 5/2010, SS 4/2010, AKV 11/2009, BW 5/2009,
    SS 2/2009, SS 10/2008, POR 7/2008, WC 8/2007
    POR 12/2006, POR 10/2005, POR 10/2004, FW 10/2002
    FW 10/1993, OS 12/1989

Post Thanks / Like

Yep been there (the whole family experience). My Mom pulls that same "shut everything loud" thing to "help" us wake up too when she stays with us It only bothers me for a second and then I realize Im awake in WDW!!!! I should prolly thank her for it more often.

How awful of you to plan everything and want to get into the parks! (puh lease)

I hope Grays feet are feeling better.. ouch!
    '94-DVC OKW * '94-'96 OKW * '97 OKW, BWV * '98 OKW, DI * '99 OKW, FW * '00 OKW, VB * '01 OKW,Y&BC,BWV * '02 SSR * '03-'05 OKW*2006 BWV,AKL*'07 OKW * '08 AKV, SSR * '10 BLT * '11 BLT Next: 03/13 WL

Post Thanks / Like

I have come to the conclusion that doing Disney is better done with my family alone, than with extended family. As much as I love spending time with my mom and step dad, sis, etc. we all end up fighting at some point. My theory is they live in FL and can go virtually anytime they want, as for me its once a year. When we go we have a certain amount of time and we like to get in as much fun as possible before it is time to go home.

I hope that you were able to get through it all and end up having a decent time with your kids and DH. I get from your title that this will be the last time with the rest of your family however!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
    º0º Monica º0º

Resorts visited to date: *CR * ASSp * CBR * Poly * POFQ * AKL * POR *

Most recent trip: Aug '08 - Disney Cruise Line and Poly!!

Year off and then Off-Site Timeshare and WL July 2010!

"It all started with a mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear that your sister was giving you a hard time. I hope DHS goes better.
    °o° Traci ¨¨*:•

Next up, hopefully, Just me & my Honey Sept. 9-14 ASMu celebrating 30 yrs and my b-day. Thanks Denise from MJ :) for the help so far & answering all my stupid questions.

Countless previous trips

Post Thanks / Like

Bummer, I was afraid that things might escalate today . . . Notwithstanding all of the family drama, it sounds like at least YOUR immediate family had a good time today.

Honestly, some family members have mentioned going with us, but I just can't bring myself to share our Disney vacations . . . I can just see this happening with my family!

Hoping that DHS is an all-around good day tomorrow - I have to say that I would have done exactly as you did today & let them sleep in!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Been there and done that!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdrlkr View Post
    Been there and done that!
    Me too!! This past Dec. my family went by ourselves. We had a great time!
    Dec 2010 AKL
    May 2009 POFQ
    Oct 2008 Pop
    X-Mas 2007-POFQ
    May 2006 Pop
    June 2005 ASMu
    May 2002-Off Site
    Dec. 1999-Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry to hear your extended family gives you such a problem. I sure hope things improve quickly. I have a family that doesn't want to "DO" disney, so I have it easy. I do, however, have many friends, that are closer to us than some of my family, and we "DO" disney with them....you all know who you are!

Thanks for sharing.
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Charleston, SC- 395.4 miles/6 hrs. & 15 min. from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

We all know the saying..."you can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can't please ALL of the people ALL of the time." What can you do? I would have done what you did. Oh well.

At least you had dinner at Ohanas. We ate there for the first time on our trip a few weeks ago, and that is now one of my favorite dinner spots! I hope you had a big special drink from Tambu Lounge that has an umbrella in it and either comes in a pineapple or a Tiki god glass!
    Tara °O°

AP holder since '03 and DVC owner since '08

Next Up:
    April '10--DH, DS11, and me--Spring break/Saratoga Springs Resort/ Flower and Garden Festival

Post Thanks / Like

I know how difficult it can be to travel with a big group. I hope all goes well tomorrow!
    Danielle

First Trip: April 1977
    Last Trip:- June 15-June 27 BLT and Vero Beach
    Next Trip: June 20-30 Vero Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry the group isn't gelling! Sounds like it's a good thing you got a chair for your son - you certainly can't risk infections!

Dinner at O'Hana sounds as though it was fabulous!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I am so very sorry that you are having such issues with your family. Not fair to have that infringing in on your Disney time. I am glad that you were able to have some fun with your little family despite the troubles. Thanks for reporting.
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

My father's name was Ferdinand, my mama's name was Liza, they didn't know what to call me so they called me Ferdiliza!
    Billy Hill and the Hillbillies - "I'm OK!"

Please support INTERCOT'S wonderful sponsers!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for another report. Sorry about the family drama on your vacation. That always makes it tough.
    November 2010 Disneyland
    December 2009 Disneyland
    March 2008 Disneyland
    December 2007 Disneyland
    September 2007 All Star Music
    August 2007 Disneyland
    October 2006 Offsite
    December 2003 POR
    June 2001 All Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

......I've got to go find day 2....anyway
    Sorry for the family drama....my drama has already begun and we are still 186 days away from our trip! I am taking notes from your trip report!
    Thanks!
    Disney Dream'n
    ~Bev

"All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." ~Walt Disney

First Trip 1977 Fort Wilderness Campground
    Many trips in between!

Typical Disney Home- Wilderness Lodge - OUR NEW HOME AT WDW!!!
    Last Trip Feb 2010 Princess Half Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Reading your trip report really reminds me of my trip back in 2006 in which my husband, son and I went with my husbands parents. We swore never again! I have one distinct memory of being in the outlet mall and my MIL getting so mad at my FIL (because he was a major pain) that she lost it on him and kicked him in the backside in front of tons of people...so embarrassing!
    We're leaving to go to the world in 5 more sleeps and this time it's just my hubby and my DS...i think it will be a much more peaceful vacation!
    Can't wait to read more of your report!
    ***Wilderness Lodge - Woods View Room - July 2008!!!!***
    July 2006 - All Star Vacation Home****August 2002 - Comfort Inn LBV****July 2001 -- Honeymoon at Carribean Beach Resort !****December 1992 -- Epcot****1991 - MGM & MK

Post Thanks / Like

Default Aaaaarrrruuuggghh

I feel for you. I hope the magic either took them over or made them quiet!!! I'll keep reading.

Anyway, you've did a fab job planning. They should all be worshiping at your feet!

Poor Gray... Hope he's doing better
    Then: #runICOT 1/16
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    VBR, OKW, Magic, & AKL 5/12
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09