Quantcast Walt Disney World Resort Unveils Bold New Vision for Downtown Disney - Page 8

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineC68 View Post
    I thought Disney was in the business of being a vacation destination for families - all families. Some of them include children, some of them don't. It seems Disney has gone out of their way to capture as many vacation dollars as possible (Magical Express & Disney Dining come to mind) So why would they turn away this opportunity?

Not everyone going to Disney brings children - it's an extremely popular honeymoon destination. But maybe, just maybe, adults that enjoy the Magic of Disney the parks provide during the day would also enjoy a place where they can dance, laugh & have a couple of drinks without kids. I don't think that's a terrible thing.

I also think they send a positive message by being the designated driver. What's wrong with that? They are the designated driver for people that Drink Around the World Showcase, do the Monorail Crawl or even just go to dinner. It's great PR and they are still going to running the buses anyway for the stores and restaurants - where some people will still drink anyway.

Clearly something needed to be done about PI - It became a big mess but I think it started out as something really fun!!
    Very, very, VERY good points.

DH and I don't have kids yet, but we are still a family.

Just because someone wants to use the bus as a designated driver doesn't mean they are getting drunk off their butts. I like knowing that I can have a COUPLE drinks and not have to drive, as does DH. It doesn't mean we get falling down drunk, because even one or two drinks impair your ability to drive. That's a fact.

And, say what you want about Walt and his idea for Disney. Walt had his alcoholic drink every day, and smoked his cigs, and liked to have VIP privileges (like Club 33, accommodations, etc) for friends, dignitaries and the like (which are topics that many have complained about on this board). I don't think Walt would have had a problem with having an adult haven for some nocturnal fun.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been reading this thread since it started and I can agree with many of the sentiments that have been posted, except for a few. I think you really need to go back to the beginning on what Pleasure Island was meant to be to see why it no longer meets those needs.
    Pleasure Island was Walt Disney World's night time adult entertainment district which originally opened up with the Disney Village Marketplace.
    Imagineers came up with a story about an island founded by Merriweather Adam Pleasure. The buildings on the island were made to look like buildings used by Pleasure and plaques were place around the Island to tell you about Mr. Pleasure and the buildings use.
    Pleasure Island was never intended to be a day time venue. Much of the Island didn't open until 6PM. It was an adult entertainmant area. Children under 21 had to be accompanied by a parent or adult gaurdian and were off the Island by 9PM. Although it wasn't required it was suggested. By opening Pleasure Island, Disney wanted to pull adult guests and locals away from Orlando's Church Street area.
    For years Pleasure Island celebrated New Year's Eve with a fireworks show at midnight from 1990 through New Year's Eve 2005. Pleasure Island was built away from all the other WDW resort areas to minimize it's effects on those areas. You could have the live bands outside with loud music and special effects, you could have nightly fireworks and you didn't have to worry about the noise bothering anyone. With the addition of the Disney Institite and later SSR and West Side within close proximity of Pleasure Island the Sound Stage & Fireworks had to go.
    Shopping had been a part of the original concept but it didn't work at that time. People wanting to party didn't go there to shop. Over the years a lot of stores were retired as Disney puts it. Some that come to mind are Yesterears, Reel Finds, Avigators Supply, Mouse of Souvenirs, Suspended Animation, Island Depot and Jessica's of Hollywood. I know there are more but you get the idea.
    Clubs evolved or were closed too. XZFR Rockin' Rollerdrome was closed quickly when it was deemed too dangerous. It became the Beach Club. The Cage, Videopolis East, Neon Armadillo and Wild Horse Saloon went too.
    The main reason that the turnstiles came down and a bridge was added was to make it easier for guests to walk from West Side to the Marketplace. They could walk through Pleasure Island without having to walk around it without a ticket. Originally guests had to walk around Pleasure Island to get from the West Side to Marketplace. You now have to show a ticket to get inside the clubs. It makes it easier to walk from one side of the Island to the other at night.
    I too hate to see it go but it's fate was sealed a long time ago. I've been a regular since it opened in 1989 and I will miss it. A petition is a good way to vent but it won't change anything. The addition of new dining and shopping facilities fit the overall concept of the area that now surrounds PI. Would it hurt to have something like the Comedy Warehouse or the Adventures Club stay? I don't think so as long as they can be developed to fit the new concept. I have a few ideas but I won't voice them here. I'm not a paid consultant or an Imagineer, but I am looking for a job.
    I guess we'll just have to wait and see just how this all works out.
    Bill
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.

AKL, Jambo, September 18 to October 2, 2012

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I'm missing something, but where are we getting that Adventurer's Club is going away? I know it's closing in September, but do we have confirmation that it will not open again?
    "Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas"
    "Go out there and kick some alien butt!"
    "That looks like water, but really it isn't."

DVC Member at Boardwalk
    84, 90, 92, 96, 94, 97 - off site
    98 DL Paris
    Many since then at BWV, OKW, and WLV.

Post Thanks / Like

Well i got a response to my email to Disney about PI etc

"Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World Resort.

Although we understand your disappointment with our recent announcement
    regarding the clubs on Pleasure Island, please know a tremendous amount
    of thought went into the decision to bring the bold new vision for
    Downtown Disney to life. Taking the Downtown Disney experience to the
    next level is consistent with our commitment to provide our Guests with
    new, exciting and one-of-a-kind experiences. As we look to the future,
    we are excited about the evolution that will occur over the next two
    years, introducing a brand new mix of shopping, dining and other
    experiences for our Guests' enjoyment.
    Our Guests' feedback, as well as their continued enthusiasm for our
    products and services, are very important to us. We genuinely
    appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts with us.

Sincerely,

Walt Disney World Resort "

Since I may not go to WDW for awhile after this trip, I may not see how it turns out.
    I have been considering stopping my vacation to WDW for a bit. Although I havent frequented PI since the changes, this just helps me in my decision.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Default First they took away Horizons!

Okay, I'm not too upset about Pleasure Island itself, since I didn't go to the clubs there (well, other than 8traxx, just for a laugh).

But Adventurer's Club?? NOOOOO!!

*grovels* Please, please, please, Disney! Don't take my AC away!

I just simply didn't get a chance to go last time, thinking, "I'll go next time". Now to find out I may never get to go again! It breaks my heart! Now I don't want to go to PI again. I'd go there for RainForest, but now I don't care about anything else.

I know Disney doesn't care what we think, but I still signed the petition, and was #3660. Kungaloosh!
    Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

WDW stays
    1998 Old Key West
    2003 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2005 Port Orleans FQ
    2007 Coronado Springs
    2009 Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

Rasafrassin taking away my club....

Nice that they sent you a letter back.

Let me take this to parts...

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World Resort.

Oh no, not another one. Steve, what form are we using this week? No...that's the one for people killed on Mission Space....it's the blue one...

Although we understand your disappointment with our recent announcement
    regarding the clubs on Pleasure Island, please know a tremendous amount
    of thought went into the decision to bring the bold new vision for
    Downtown Disney to life.

...waitresses will still just work for loose change and leftovers, right?

Taking the Downtown Disney experience to the
    next level is consistent with our commitment to provide our Guests with
    new, exciting and one-of-a-kind experiences.

Selling the Downtown Disney experience to the highest bidding contractor is totally consistent with our commitment to providing me with a bigger boat.

As we look to the future,
    we are excited about the evolution that will occur over the next two
    years, introducing a brand new mix of shopping, dining and other
    experiences for our Guests' enjoyment.

If we stick it at the exit to an attraction, you will buy anything.

Our Guests' feedback, as well as their continued enthusiasm for our
    products and services, are very important to us.

It gives the interns we don't like something to do in 95 degree weather and 85 percent humidity out in the parks. It also provides valuable employment opportunities for the people who count votes between presidential elections in Florida; It's good practice if you take our meaning.

We genuinely
    appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts with us.

We're on a quota system here and I was one short for the day before you wrote in.

Ryumo, the Guardian of Paradise (Specifically EPCOT, circa 1989)
    Seminal FDC Roo
    He who skips down the monorail ramp much to his wife's chagrin.

Post Thanks / Like

when I was in DtD I saw the outside cardboard things they put infront of new attractions at the T-Rex place. It sounds like so much fun! I love rainforest cafe and any themed restaurant so this sounds like a new fav!
    Dec 27- Best of Both Worlds Tour, Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus with Jonas Brothers
    Mar 21- Look Me In The Eyes Tour, Jonas Brothers with Rooney
    Aug 27- Burnin' Up Tour, Jonas Brothers with Demi Lovato, The Veronicas, and BIG ROB!

march 09 SENIOR TRIP

Post Thanks / Like

I am in favor of Disney making some positive changes to PI. PI hasn't been a must-do for my husband and I for a number of years (we're in our early 30s with no kids, so maybe we just "aged out").

I just finished reading all 147 responses to this thread, and as much as many people lament the potentially permanent closing of the Adventurers' Club (and to a lesser extent, Comedy Warehouse), I noticed a couple trends in the posts -- either 1) "we didn't make it there on our last trip (or last few trips)" or 2) "we were really hoping to try those places sometime in the future."

I know it's not a scientific poll, but if this is at all reflective of the general WDW visitor population, then perhaps these places really weren't so beloved and popular after all?
    șOș April șOș

Next trips: GF Sept. '14, WL Jan. - Feb. '15!
    Previous stays: WL, AKL, Polynesian, POFQ, Newport Bay Club (DLP), DL Hotel, GF, DxL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ryumo View Post
    that's the one for people killed on Mission Space....
    Killed? Like, shot to death? Stabbed? Beaten with an aged salami? I never heard of anyone getting killed on Mission: SPACE during my watch... But seriously, do you even still go if you're so bitter?

what
    Last edited by Zone Stop; 07-02-2008 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Mood Alteration

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie97 View Post

I know it's not a scientific poll, but if this is at all reflective of the general WDW visitor population, then perhaps these places really weren't so beloved and popular after all?
    You're right, it's not scientific. The reason I myself never got there is because I was waiting until I was 21 to do pleasure island. I've only been twice since then. The first time I was with my family and they had no interest in a night at PI, and the second time I was on a short trip and did not have the time. My next trip is probably going to be my honeymoon, and we were definitely going to plan a whole night at pleasure island.

I think ChristineC68 hit the nail on the head with her earlier response. The place is called Walt Disney WORLD. It's a world of entertainment for all ages and types of families. People use the transportation system as designated driver all the time. Should we ban alcohol from Studios, AK, and Epcot? I've seen a few posts complaining about people being drunk at World Showcase. Some people might say yes, but it's not gonna happen... At least with Pleasure Island, there a place to imbibe without kids around. Why should parents have to spend 24/7 with their kids? WDW is already an exhausting kind of vacation (my parents always said they needed a vacation after their vacation when we got home) so why can't parents have a night of fun without the kiddos? And what about those of us without kids? Do we just sit and twiddle our thumbs at the room or hotel bar?

I'll tell you one place I DID get to go to-Jellyrolls. That place is awesome. I wonder if it will be even more packed now with all these clubs closing.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    I'll tell you one place I DID get to go to-Jellyrolls. That place is awesome. I wonder if it will be even more packed now with all these clubs closing.
    I agree with you about Jellyrolls. I hope that Disney will consider developing more places along these lines to provide fun (and popular) evening entertainment options for adults!
    șOș April șOș

Next trips: GF Sept. '14, WL Jan. - Feb. '15!
    Previous stays: WL, AKL, Polynesian, POFQ, Newport Bay Club (DLP), DL Hotel, GF, DxL

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I love Jellyrolls!!
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wwwd?

Quote Originally Posted by Zone Stop View Post
    But seriously, do you even still go if you're so bitter?
    I love the parks, Mister Stop. But while I may have invented these bifocals I'm wearing, I can assure you they're not rose-colored.

I acknowledge both the good and the bad that TDO does. They got that bloody wand off my precious Spaceship Earth. The Mexico refurb is marvelous. I was ambivalent about Mister Toad's Wild Ride being replaced by Pooh and Toontown Faire going in; those turned out to be good ideas after all.

This is, however as someone else put it, the answer to a question nobody asked. That question being, "We created a terrible mess here. Before it comes back to bite us, how can we spin it in such a way that it looks like we did it on purpose and we get raises? Cheaply."

There was a Disney way and a "Team Disney" way to fix this. And now we have a balloon ride.
    Ryumo, the Guardian of Paradise (Specifically EPCOT, circa 1989)
    Seminal FDC Roo
    He who skips down the monorail ramp much to his wife's chagrin.

Post Thanks / Like

my questions Id like responses to
    whats happening to CMs from PI?
    Who has gone to PI lately?
    Whos has said they would rather have more shopping or Dining at DD rather than clubs or adult places?
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post

I really don't see that as an equal comparison, or a logical progression at all.

Marker--the fireworks comment was actually me being sarcastic. But Disney does seem to making way to many changes to things that people dont like. And CC is right. I meen you say its not about adult entertainment (strip clubs). No one said that. But look at what PI was originally built for and advertised by Disney themselves when it opened.." a nightime playground for adults" . It goes without saying you can go off grounds to go to clubs. I was told by a DVC sales rep the rock n roll beach club is going to be turned into a bowling alley. I dont have to travel 1200 miles to go bowling. What are adults going to do at night--when the kids should be in BED. As I said--do they really need more shops? Ive loved going to PI all these years and will truly hate having to go to bed after putting the kids to bed ( my parents always watch them while we are out). thanks agtain Disney--Marker--thats sarcastic ;-)
    73-4-5-76Cntpry-77-8-9Polnsyn-80-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-90-1-2 Disney villas-93-4-5-6-7-8 Crbn Bch-99 Grnd Flrdin -00 Anml Kngdm Ldg-01 Wldrns Ldg-02 Brdwlk-03Cntpry-04 Sratga Sprngs-05 Saratoga -06 Sratga -07 Grand California -07 Sratga- 08 Sratga- 09 Wldrns. Ldg.- 10 Treehouse villas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    Wow, this is sooooo NOT COOL!!

Instead of doing the right thing, and charging admission to enter PI again, they are turning it into more shopping and food. Just what we need....more places to stuff our faces. There was an easy way to make it an enjoyable place again....get rid of the losers by charging admission. I know WDW is a family place, but we adults sans kids do like a little adult haven now and then.

Like someone else said, they better keep the parks open later to give us something to do at night now. I can't really afford to go to PI every night and blow money on junk.

I will terribly miss the AC. We didn't go during our last trip, and I really regretted it. Now, I regret it even more! How stupid were we?? Gee, so glad we bought the PI AP. Guess I gotta complain and get some money back. Like it will matter.....

DH and I just signed the petition to save the AC. I'm #1270, and he's #1267.
    Hear hear!

This is terrible news. Sure, something needed to be done about the dance clubs, and although I didn't desire it, they needed to add a country western venue (a la the Neon Armadillo)... but to remove the unique and wonderful Adventurer's Club and the fun improv Comedy Club and replace them with....a (are they serious) balloon , dino-themed Rainforest Cafe , and a make-your-own T-shirt store .... uuuuuugggh!
    Dec '88 - off site
    Dec '91 - off site
    Mar '93 - off site
    Dec '94 - Dixie Landings
    Dec '96 - All Star Sports
    Mar '98 - Dixie Landings
    Dec '01 - Dixie Landings
    May '04 - PORS
    May '06 - PORS
    Nov '08 - PORS
    Nov '10 - PORS
    Nov '12 - PORS
    Nov '14 - PORS
    Nov '16 - PORS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenDreams View Post
    That being said, we have avoided Downtown Disney as much as possible lately. It's WAY too crowded and you can't get a quick bite to eat. We basically hit the Lego Store and leave as quickly as possible. If this new plan spreads people out a bit, that may be good.
    Good observation. The plan may work to create a more viable link. It could finally be the missing link between the colorful, fun, people-friendly classic Disney themed Marketplace and the more mainstream, concrete jungle of the commercial West End.

As to eateries, I recall only Earl of Sandwich was a good mid-level-not fast-food family friendly quick stop CS. The decor is rich and the space is not so cramped as most other CS or quick bit places at DTD. Earl is a chain but not so prevalent so for most visitors it is a treat. I'd like to see more eateries similar to Earl.
    ~~Have a Disney Day~~
    șoș WDW 9-83, 9-84, 9-88, 9-93, 5-94, 5-95, 5-96, 9-99, 9-07
    șoș TDL 6-83, 9-91
    șoș DLR many, many

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by goofy4mickey View Post
    We were at the Adventurer's Club last night and it was confirmed that it's closing in September - the cast members found out yesterday, too. I sure wish we could save it - it's one of my favorite things at WDW - totally unique and very fun.
    It's a shame - it could easily be redone with the same theme, as a "club" dining room and as a sit-down restaurant - but still be family friendly!

"RedHead! Your vacation got cancelled on you! What are you going to do?"

"I'm going to DISNEY WORLD!!!!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedHead View Post
    It's a shame - it could easily be redone with the same theme, as a "club" dining room and as a sit-down restaurant - but still be family friendly!

I think the main point is that those of us who don't have children would like a place where we could hang out - a place that isn't so 'family friendly.' I think trying to make PI a place for everyone (i.e. families) is what ultimately ruined it.
    '90 - High School Trip
    '05 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '06 - Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon!)
    '08 - VWL and BCV

Next Up:
    '09 - Wilderness Lodge Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger&Stitch View Post
    I think the main point is that those of us who don't have children would like a place where we could hang out - a place that isn't so 'family friendly.' I think trying to make PI a place for everyone (i.e. families) is what ultimately ruined it.

I agree! Even alot of people with children would like an "adults only" escape once in a while.
    September 2004: CBR...dodging Hurricanes successfully!
    September 2005: CBR again and again dodging Hurricanes with success!
    September 2006: AKL, our honeymoon, just awesome!
    September 2007: POR, anniversary celebration! was awesome:)
    December 2012: First trip with the 4 year old, yay:)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: