Quantcast Should I attempt Disney w/dh?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Should I attempt Disney w/dh?

I want to plan a wdw trip for june of next year and am worried b/c dh & I have completely different ideas as to what is fun in a vacation. we just got back from wisconsin dells and stayed at a waterpark resort and it was not very fun...I am a get up early and do as much as possible before I collapse onto the bed at night person (well, not quite that bad since we have dd-4 and dd-1). But dh is a take it slow, sleep in and take his time getting ready then mosey out the door around 11 am person. Mind you, I am tending to the kids while he's taking his time getting ready! So I don't know if we could do disney together if we didn't do very well for 3 days in wisconsin dells. Any advice from people in similar marriages will be GREATLY appreciated.
    Thanks!!!
    mommy2maddi

Aug. 2010 at POP
    4/27-5/3/15 AoA Nemo suites
    Getting married at WDW in 2018- Staying at WDW Swan for 4 nights and Polynesian for 4 nights.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

im not in the same boat as you... hubby and i roll out of bed and go go go till we drop in bed at night...but

why not get up in the morning with your little ones...get them ready and head to the park for some quailty time just you and your kids...then when your husband is up and ready for the day have him meet you and the kids at a planned ahead of time spot.. example..at the magic kingdom plan to meet in front of cinderella's castle...

or if you both have cell phones he could call you when he gets to the park and ask where are you....then u guys can finish the day as a family...

hubby gets his morning time to relax and get ready...and u get some good quality time with the little ones

and you both have many memories to last a life time on a wonderful vacation with the family

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the previous poster. Just because you have different ideas on how to do your vacation does mean either has to give up what they enjoy.

Get up early - take the kids and go. While DH is sleeping in, why not head out to a terrific breakfast. Maybe go to the O'Hana character breakfast and take some time to explore the Polynesian resort. Or since you have 2 DD's how about the Princess breakfast in Norway? Or make early morning appointments for your DD's at BBB. Or focus on hitting some attractions that maybe DH isn't terribly excited about seeing.

There are plenty of things you can do until DH joins you. Then, you can enjoy the rest of the day together.

8/11 CSR
    8/10 - Wilderness Lodge
    2009 CSR
    2009 Ft Wilderness Cabins
    2008 Polynesian
    2008 POR
    2007 CSR
    2007 OKW
    2006 CBR
    Many offsite trips...before kids

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to offer up the same suggestion. You get up early and take the kids, then DH can join you later in the day. Especially with the Magic Kingdom, you can hit Fantasyland early before it gets too crowded, then take it easier as the crowds build during the day.
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

If you are worried about getting on and off the busses with 2 children and a stroller and bag... DON'T. Just ask for help. I have found so many people who are willing to help if you only ask for it!

I guarantee you that if you strike up a conversation with the family in front of or behind you, and explain your situation... the wife in that family with direct the husband to help you if he doesn't already offer on his own!

Another option if you don't want to go to the parks is to tkae the girls swimming while hubby is taking his time in the morning. Bring a float for the baby, and a swim vest for your daughter... If they are anything like my daughters they will be happy just to "bob up and down"
    Trish

Next Trip Jan 2015 1 night POR, then BWV renting points
    Sept 2013 BWV renting points
    Nov 2012 BWV renting points for my big 4-0
    Sept 2011 BWV renting points
    Sept 2009 POP
    Sept 2008 POP
    Sept. 2007 POP
    Sept 2003 ASMu

Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks for the great suggestions!

This is why I love Intercot!!! I appreciate the great suggestions and you are right. there are a lot of things to do while dh sleeps in and that way we all win! Thanks Again!!!
    mommy2maddi

Aug. 2010 at POP
    4/27-5/3/15 AoA Nemo suites
    Getting married at WDW in 2018- Staying at WDW Swan for 4 nights and Polynesian for 4 nights.

Post Thanks / Like

I just have to say that a trip to the Wisconsin Dells can in no way be compared to a vacation to Disney World. While the Dells is great for waterparks, kitschy roadside attractions like Ripley's Believe it or Not, wax museums, and mini-golf, it can't compare to Disney World and what families do together.

DH and I have only been married four months (together for four years). We've been to the Dells several times together and Disney World, most recently, just for our honeymoon. He's an early riser and likes to try and do as much as possible during the day. I'm the take it easy, sit on a bench and people watch for an hour.

We made it work great. I think if you have the two different people work together on the planning, like coming up with a compromise on how to do everything, or alloting enough days for all-out marathons in the park, and some days for just relaxing, I definitely think Disney is a great vacation for you.
    DW of lotrfan
    Offsite - '81-'86
    DL - '89, '97, '05
    POFQ - '94, '95
    FW - '96
    POR - '98, '01
    CBR - '08 (Honeymoon)
    AsMo - '09 (Princess 5K & 1st Anniversary)
    DCL - Dec. '11 (30th b-day gift)

Post Thanks / Like

i agree with everyone - wdw works well for all types. i tend to be a "seek and destroy" vacationer, up and out with a to do list at the crack of dawn, while the wife moves as fast as molasses in winter. we usually coordinate where we'll meet at in each park at around 11 or 12. make sure you bring your cell phones or those walkie talkie deals- they work great on coordinating the hook up times- the times when ive been in a line or something she'll spend the xtra time souvenir shopping or just people watching. have a great time

Post Thanks / Like

My husband had trouble in the beginning with our commando style trips to WDW. Mind you, this was many years ago now. His idea of a vacation was to park on a beach, ALL DAY. That has since changed. He is a WDW convert. He helps plan, knows what he likes, suggests other things to do..(water mice, tours..etc..even insists on the Poly! He misses it if we stay anywhere else!) We do compromise tho. There are down days on our trips now..Days where we plan very little and the family has a resort day. Also, when my 3 kids and DH want more pool time in the afternoons.., I take myself to the parks alone and I love it that way. Compromise, compromise! WDW offers such a flexible vacation, and staying onsite helps with flexibility!
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

We no longer have small children to attend to so that does simplify things.

If my wife and I, or my daugher and I, or anyone in our family, felt we all needed to stay together and keep the same schedule while at WDW, we'd simply go Bonkers.

We have become very comfortable with allowing each other to do what best suits them. We'll spend as much time together as we can. but we'd much rather avoid the stress of waiting for someone to get up, or having to cut the day short, in order to keep everyone happy.

Normally, I get up and get out the door at the crack of dawn. When the others get up and are ready to join me, they call to see where I am and we decide where to meet. That way, I didn't get frustrated waiting for them, and they didn't get frustrated feeling they HAD to get up.

There are days we're together most of the day, and others where we barely find each other for meals. Actually, that's been one benefit of the DDP, we at least all meet for the table service meal.

Ultimately, I think we all make the most of our time at WDW this way and don't have near as much stress.

So, to answer the question of should you attempt it... If you all are the sort that feel you need to stay together 24/7, then you'll be headed for a lot of frustration. On the other hand, if you're comfortable with doing at least some of your own thing, then absolutely, it should be no problem.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think he would go with a compromise, so that you each give a little... alternating commando-style days with later-start days? On the later-start days, you could take the kids to breakfast, swim, or enjoy other resort activities while your husband sleeps in/gets ready in the room.

My husband and I "alternate compromise" all the time, both at WDW and at home, and it works really well for us. We still get to spend time together, and we enjoy both feelings -- giving to one another sometimes, and other times getting to do exactly what we want!
    ºOº April ºOº

Next trips: GF Sept. '14, WL Jan. - Feb. '15!
    Previous stays: WL, AKL, Polynesian, POFQ, Newport Bay Club (DLP), DL Hotel, GF, DxL

Post Thanks / Like

Default Keep it simple

Have to agree with most of the posters - let your DH sleep in while you and the girls head out. We have done similar on a couple of trips and it's worked out very well. We evolved into this after trying to fit everyone into the get up and get going early model.

With the ages that your daughters are I recommend a short trip of perhaps 4 days at Disney World. Kind of a Disney sampler. Stay at a monorail resort - the Polynesian would be my recommendation.

Keep your touring to the Magic Kingdom in the mornings and Epcot for supper in the evening, after an afternoon nap/swim. Toddlers actually like Epcot as there's a lot of interesting things to see and watch.

Our toddlers, over the years, have enjoyed the suppper entertainment at the Biergarten in Germany and Marrakesh in Morocco. The Coral Reef Restaurant in the Living Seas at Epcot would be good - what kid doesn't like to watch fish swim around.

Taking the monorail allows you to keep using your stroller, which you can't do on the busses. Staying at the Poly gives you many fun breakfast choices - Crystal Palace inside MK, Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary, the character breakfast at the Poly at 'Ohana's and 1900 Park Faire at Grand Floridian. I think for toddlers, this is the best way to meet and greet the characters.

If the short trip works well, then your next trip could be a week, at a non-monorail resort if you chose, and including the Studios, Animal Kingdom and a water park, maybe. And breakfast at Cindy's (Cinderella's Royal Table, in MK).

This is how many of us got started. A decade maybe of the Magic Kingdom. Then several years of MK and Epcot. Then we added the Studios and finally Animal Kingdom.

Who knows, your DH may evolve into the get up and get going early kind of guy - at Disney.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, yes...I can totally relate. I am just like you and my DH is just like yours. My DH loves to sleep late (both at Disney and at home) so I usually experience early morning frustrations while trying to get everyone ready to go. But, hey...like they say...opposites do attract.

Our last trip, I actually got up and headed out...leaving the DH and kids in bed. I was pretty excited about my potential "me time" at MK. My DH called me right before I boarded the MK bus. One of the boys had woke him up. I think he kinda freaked when he thought he would have to get himself and the 2 boys ready. He called me and asked me to come back to the room. Needless to say, the rest of the trip, we had no problems getting out of the room early.
    Multiple wonderful trips; Next June 2012
    "All it takes is faith and trust...and just a little bit of pixie dust."

Post Thanks / Like

I think you should go for it! Like someone else said, you can leave early with the kids and meet up with your DH later and then spend the rest of the day together.
    Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmmmmmm. A tough one that is! MY DW and I are both early risers. Actually I was like your DH, but adapted to her early riser schedule due to her job. I am a natural morning person so that made it easy.

I would cajol DH into altering his routine for the trip. You can still plan some late rising days to make him happy, but 11AM seems awfull late unless your doing a resort day, which I would build into your trip plans. We are not commando Disney touring people. I don't want a marathon or a vacation from my vacation. We take it in relaxed pieces so it is restfull. See if that is a compromise.

Offer him another trip where his habits fit in. The Jersey Shore for us is that type of vacation. MY thinking from a practical matter is WDW really is not the type of place to rise late and then begin the day. Unless you have been there many times before and want to take it in that way.

First, crowds build as time passes. By the time you get to any of the parks they will be crowded. Certainly more crowded that when they open. No I am not advocating a rope drop opening, but one can get a liesurely start and arrive by 9:30 or so at a non EMH park and get a lot done.

Second, your going in June. Your going to start your touring in the hottest part of the day. That can make for a yucky touring experience. Go to the parks early, get out of dodge by 1 or 2 PM. Go back to your resort and chill, then go back out again. That may help with his style of vacationing and give him chill time.

Three, being in a tropical place, rain often builds in the later part of the day, cutting down on your touring time and making for a less than nice time.

I can't imagine not having the whole family together at WDW unless someone just absolutely hates it. With the age of the children, you will probably head back to the hotel for naps anyway, so he can relax and chill. With 2 children that age it will take BOTH of you to handle the situation. Putting that on 1 persons back could lead to some stressfull moments. Just work with him to change his habits for your trip and see what perks you can build into it for him...and you!
    Ralph
    1996: CB (Oct)
    1997: PO (Sept)
    1998: PO (Sept)
    1999: Poly/BC (Aug)
    2000: PO/BC (Sept)
    2001: BC (Aug)
    2002: BC (Aug)
    2004: BC (Aug)
    2004: BC (Dec)
    2005: BC (June)
    2006: BC (Aug)