Quantcast Is this really offensive? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Again, while I am not offended by what the shirt said, I wouldn't wear it either.
    Personally I don't want to walk around with a shirt on that says "ta-tas" on it

I see where you are coming from with the point of "is it really necessary to use the slang" and it's not, but t-shirts with edgy sayings are all the rage right now and this shirt fits into that category while touting an awareness for a worthy cause.
    Liz
    March 2006-POP!
    September 2007-POP!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't find it offensive at all although I can see how some people might. I think it's an effective way to get the message out there to girls of that age group. If my DD's (ages 8 and 13) asked what ta-ta's are, I would explain it to them - I don't see it as a big deal.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

I would explain it to them - I don't see it as a big deal.
    I don't see what the big deal is either. If they ask I would simply explain- it's just a body part.

Overall, I don't think its offensive for that girl to wear that t-shirt and if it were me wearing that t-shirt and some lady came over to me lecturing me about putting on something else I would be offended- who knows who that girl knew that was affected by breast cancer? I've seen people wear much more offensive and revealing clothing than that at WDW.
    Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pink View Post
    Overall, I don't think its offensive for that girl to wear that t-shirt and if it were me wearing that t-shirt and some lady came over to me lecturing me about putting on something else I would be offended- who knows who that girl knew that was affected by breast cancer? I've seen people wear much more offensive and revealing clothing than that at WDW.
    I agree. How would you feel if you spoke to the girl and you found out she lost a family member to this terrible disease? I see the t-shirt as bringing awareness to the disease. As women, this is one of the things we need to be totally aware of because it can hit hit anyone at anytime. You don't have to be an adult.

I'm really sorry, but this is a very sensitive subject with me and we really need to get the message out, to women and girls of all ages.
    Carol

May 14 ???
    Oct. 13 ???
    Oct. 12 DVC-OKW.
    Feb 12 DVC-AKL-Kidani
    Oct. 11 DVC-AKL-Kidani
    Feb. 11 AKL-Jambo
    Feb. 10 POFQ
    Dec. 09 POFQ
    Dec. 08--POFQ
    Oct. 08--POFQ
    Dec. 07--Wilderness Lodge,
    May 06--Grand Floridian

Post Thanks / Like

I guarantee you that if the t-shirt had said something as straight forward as "breast cancer awareness", that woman would have still complained. Part of the reason that slogan was created was to grab people's attention and get an important women's health issue out in the open, instead of keeping it as something that people don't talk about. I understand that not everyone is as comfortable with that and that's okay. But personally I don't see anything vulgar about it.

If a child were to ask a question about it, I think it would be a good opportunity (depending on their age) to talk about it. If my son had asked me when he was younger I would have taken him aside and given him a simple explanation.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post

I also agree that it is tacky and not in the best of taste, especially worn at WDW. However, for the offended party to carry on for 25 minutes about it was also tacky. If they felt that strongly about it then they should have VERY nicely told the wearer that they found it offensive and then let it go. Or better yet, they should have gone into the nearest gift shop (you know there is one within 5 feet of any location in WDW anyway) and buy the offender a nice Disney shirt and give it to the offender as a gift and ask her to consider going into a restroom and changing!
    Are you joking????
    I disagree wholeheartedly with both of these suggestions. I am a firm believer in minding your own business if something isn't really affecting you, and to start something up about a t-shirt is...well....offensive.
    Why is "ta-ta" a "no-no" anyway??
    Don't little kids have names like that for lots of different body parts? I surely didn't expect my kids to use the proper anatomical terms when they were younger.
    Frequent WDW visitor since 1976!
    Laughter is timeless.Imagination has no age.And dreams are forever.....

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not offended by the shirt...
    here's my take...

If this woman was so offended by the ta-tas shirt that she went on about it for 25 minutes, then it will probably be one of her more vivid memories of the trip. Hopefully, she gets home and retells the story to anyone who'll listen...she'll inadvertantly be promoting awareness. Kind of along the lines of "all publicity is good publicity."

I bet that if the young woman had been wearing a simple "breast cancer awareness" T-shirt, the offended woman probably wouldn't even have noticed it. Which, I think, is the point of the ta-tas shirt.
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    If they felt that strongly about it then they should have VERY nicely told the wearer that they found it offensive and then let it go. Or better yet, they should have gone into the nearest gift shop (you know there is one within 5 feet of any location in WDW anyway) and buy the offender a nice Disney shirt and give it to the offender as a gift and ask her to consider going into a restroom and changing!
    Um no if they felt that strongly about it they should just quietly stew about it. It's not their place to suggest that this girl change her shirt. What kind of people find themselves that wrapped up in someone else's t-shirt while at WDW?

Even if the shirt is not your taste surely you can appreciate the meaning behind the message. I absolutely think that it's more eye catching and more noticable than a shirt that just said breast cancer awareness. Hey, we're all talking about it so it's done the job it was intended to do. If my kid asked about ta-tas I'd explain. It's no big deal. Talking about boobs is okay.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

I find it more rude that this woman went on about the shirt for 25 minutes. If that expression is the most distressing thing in her life, I guess she's a very lucky woman.
    As for the suggestion about buying her a shirt and telling/asking her to go change, that would be even more out of line.
    We go to the summer concert series at the Hatch Shell here in Boston and let me tell you, some of the things you see would make you cringe. But my sisters and I quietly poke fun at them between ourselves. We don't rant and rave for 25 minutes for everyone to hear.
    I don't think there was anything wrong with that shirt.
    șoșKathyșoș TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Here's my take on it ....

Do I find it offensive? No, not really. But it is tasteless, and I just don't understand why it's necessary to be tacky in order to raise awareness for breast cancer.

I actually find it doubly tasteless to wear a shirt like that in Disney World with so many kids around. I really don't feel like standing in line with my DD6 and having to answer the question, "Daddy, what are ta-tas?"
    I realize it's not like the end of the world or anything, but I just don't get the need for the coarseness of the shirt. I actually find that it cheapens the cause to a degree.

Why not just make a nice, tasteful shirt that says, "Breast Cancer Awareness" on it or something? What do you gain by adding the tasteless slang to the shirt?

I dunno ... I find this to be just another part of the overall coarsening of our society. I just don't see the benefit ... keep it clean and more people will be interested.

Look at that woman that was offended. Did the shirt do anything to help her become more interested in fighting breast cancer? A potentially offensive shirt alienates some people, while a nice, tasteful shirt is going to help your cause across the board.
    100%
    STEELER SUPERBOWL CHAMPS: 1974, 1975, 1978, 1979, 2005, and 2008 !

[SIZE="1"]1978 OFF SITE CAMPING
    JUNE 2004 POR
    JULY 2005 POR
    AUGUST 2006 POR
    JUNE - JULY 2007 POR
    DEC 2008- JAN 2009 POR
    JUNE 2009 POR
    JUNE 2010 POR
    JANUARY 2011 POP CENTURY
    APRIL 2011 Planning Stages

Post Thanks / Like

This thread made me laugh, because my nickname as a child was Ta Ta! My little cousin couldn't say Sonja, so I became a big boob obviously!

And there are far worse slang terms for breasts...in fact, a few that I find offensive. I personally find "ta ta" funny.

I guess some of you would have found my young daughter and I offensive recently. We were at a Health Expo and one of the stands was giving out stickers with the words "feel your boobies" and their internet site. Since we have a good friend that has terminal breast cancer we thought it was great to wear those stickers on our shirts. Any time we can raise awareness we're glad to do it.
    Sonja

Spay and neuter your pets!

Post Thanks / Like

Why not just make a nice, tasteful shirt that says, "Breast Cancer Awareness" on it or something? What do you gain by adding the tasteless slang to the shirt?.
    ...because people would not be talking about it. Getting people to question things is the first step in educating them.

That said -- I would not wear the shirt, but I would chuckle when I saw it -- and if my sons questionned its meaning, I would tell them that ta-ta's are breasts and that too many people die every year from Breast Cancer and other cancers.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

I've see the shirt. I really don't take any offense to it at all. If I had a child that was old enough to read and ask the question...I'd welcome it.

A "breast cancer" shirt says very "little". I think this shirt has done a WONDERFUL thing. For 25 minutes people started talking about the shirt. If this is the shirt I've seen (I'm sure it is)...it's pretty unmistakeable that it's advertising breast cancer awareness. Humor too is a great advertisement.

I know if my child was 5 or 6 and asked what a "ta-ta" was...It'd be simple...I'd tell him straight out what they were...maybe even throw in that the shirt was telling all ladies to take care of themselves to keep from getting very sick. 99% of the time that would end the discussion right there.

I think it's absolutely fantastic that they've found a campaign that even teens can relate too.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

I first saw this shirt on my 7 yr. old cousin last summer. We were visiting my wife's parents and she was outside playing with my 3 kids. (DD13, DD11, DS7). My DD11, who is the most naive of the 3, comes in with tears in her eyes, also the most sensitive. She just found out what the shirt meant. You see my wife's cousin of 45 had died of cancer the previous year and my 7 yr. old cousin was making a statement about breast cancer or any cancer awareness. I have no problem with that whatsoever.

If someone would've asked this girl standing in line for the 25 min. she may have explained that either she or a close friend lost a mother, grandmother, aunt, sister, whomever to breast cancer. Now who would be offended?
    WDW '71-'81(numerous)
    Yearly '98 - '08
    Last Trip July 2014

Next Trip ???
    Keep to the code... If you fall behind, you get left behind.

Post Thanks / Like

I really have never understood why breasts are meant to be "rude".

6YearOld - Mummy what are ta-tas?

Mummy - Well, sweetheart, they're a sillyish word for breasts.

I mean....what?.....Am I missing something here?

Although I personally have never heard the phrase ta-tas before. Not a British phrase. Maybe it could be, though. I try it and see what happens the next time they come up in conversation.
    I've got a dirty thumb.

The People of Anandapur and the Royal Anandapur Wildlife and Forestry Authority trust you will enjoy your walk and ask that you respect and honor these lovely creatures with behavior appropriate for peaceful co-existence.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rhetoric2000 View Post
    Although I personally have never heard the phrase ta-tas before. Not a British phrase. Maybe it could be, though. I try it and see what happens the next time they come up in conversation.
    It is often prefaced with "bodacious".... as in "Wow! What bodacious ta-tas!" ...
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

As someone who is getting ready to undergo breast cancer surgery and treatment (I'm stage 0 so my outcome is great!) I do not find the shirt offensive at all. My guess (like most of you) is that she has personal experience with this awful disease.

I just may get one and wear it to WDW to celebrate when I am on the other side of this inconvenience!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought the shirt was a cute way to promote breast cancer awareness! I mean really, BC has become such a part of our society, who hasn't seen the commercials on tv promoting all the walks, runs, etc.. I just thought for her to go on and on when most kids probably wouldn't know what it means and probably most aren't really paying attention to those things while in Disney anyway, was a bit ridiculous. BC awareness has come a long way, but still not long enough, and if turning it to slang to get the younger generation involved and aware, then I am all for it. The biggest hope for survival is early detection, and yet people still aren't doing it, so if this helps one woman or man (yes men can get BC too) go home and do a self exam, then I am all for it!!! I mean I was only 17 when my mom passed. She missed seeing me go off to my prom, my HS graduation, my wedding, and she will never get to see any of her grandchildren. If this "offensive" shirt will help one woman so she doesn't have to miss out on seeing her kids grow up, then I am all for it! Thanks for the support!
    Hold on to your hats, cuz this here's the wildest ride in the west!

Post Thanks / Like

This one is hard for me. Because I do not find the shirt offensive. I have no problem explaining the shirt ot my 5 year old daughters. I also agree, that it gets peoples attention.

However, I do agree with Ian in that, our country has gotten so 'okay' with 'sexifying our children' (I know that is not a word, but I am sure you get what I mean.). I assume the Ta Ta wording was right on the Breasts. Just as when I see all those young kids running around with words like "cutie" or "hot stuff" on their behinds, I think it is tasteless.
    Lori Ann
    Mother of twin 9 year old girls
    Dixie Landings 11/96 (honeymoon)
    Dixie Landings/Cruise 12/2000
    CBR 11/2005
    Riverside - 9/2006,
    FQ - 11/2007, 9/2008, 9/2009
    CSR 5/2010, AKL 5/2010 (split stay)
    FQ 11/2010
    CSR 11/2011
    CBR 05/2012
    GF 06/2012
    CSR 11/2012

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFanatic View Post
    As someone who is getting ready to undergo breast cancer surgery and treatment (I'm stage 0 so my outcome is great!) I do not find the shirt offensive at all. My guess (like most of you) is that she has personal experience with this awful disease.

I just may get one and wear it to WDW to celebrate when I am on the other side of this inconvenience!
    I just wanted to say good luck to you with your surgery and treatment! Thank goodness it was caught early, and your right, I have done so much research, your outcome is fantastic!! My thoughts and prayers are with you, and I too might go get one of these shirts too, now!!
    Hold on to your hats, cuz this here's the wildest ride in the west!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: