Quantcast Another first timer with questions!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Another first timer with questions!

Hi!

I just joined you all... my friend, Terri, sent me!

DH and I are hoping to take our kiddos on a Disney Cruise next year, I've been researching different cruise options for awhile now and, frankly, I am just overwhelmed and hoping you all can help me!

First, I'm trying to narrow down the "best" time of year to go. I know it's subjective... I guess I'm just trying to figure out when you can get decent weather at a decent price. DH and I have only cruised once, in Jan., and the weather was horrible, the seas were rough - don't want to make that mistake again! We're leaning toward spring or fall... but certainly open for suggestions.

- How far in advance should we book? I'm assuming "the sooner the better"... which is why I need help with my frist question! LOL

- Is it better to book through the website or a travel agent? Or, is there an even better place to book!?!?

And, a few "general" questions:

-Our kiddos will be 3 and 6 in Sept./Oct of this year. We're thinking of a 4 day cruise, since we've never really done this before, but it looks like there is so much MORE on the 7 day cruises.... will we regret only doing 4 days? (My IL's, who live in Orlando, may be joining us too... so I'm trying to be considerate of their pocket book as well! lol)

-Which type of state room would you reccomend for a family of 4, first timers? I have NO idea how much time we'll be spending in our room... so I have no idea whether we will want to invest in a room w/ a verandah etc.

- What do you typically spend on "incedentals" on the trip? In other words, what should we plan to spend over and above the price of air and the cruise?

I know this is a LOT... I told you I was overwhelmed! If you can offer ANY insight, I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you so much for any help and I look forward to getting to know you all!
    Tonya

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Tonya!

+++WELCOME+++

Everyone here is so nice and helpful. You will enjoy it!

I am a first time cruiser and we chose the Land and Sea package. Since I get soooooooo dizzy we are only doing the 3 day cruise. Then, if I do well (which I keep telling myself I will) we will book a longer cruise. We decided to do it over spring break because I CANT imagine a summer in Orlando. We live in N Texas and that is HOT and humid enough!!!

We booked 6 months out and we booked a room with a veranda. I figured it would be horrible to be trapped in a room with no windows AND that rocks!!!!

We are just going to fly by the seat of our pants for the "WDW Treasures" I tend to buy stuff cause I like it or I think one of my friends would like it!!!

I would use magical journeys, they come HIGHLY recommended and are very helpful!!!

Have fun planning, that is one of the best parts of the whole thing!!!!!!

Michelle
    Polynesian and Wonder 3/14-3/23

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, welcome!

First, take a deep breath. Second, contact Magical Journeys. If you look at the links on the left of this page, under ICOT Sponsors, they're the first site listed. To summarize, they're a travel agency that specializes in Disney. They do NOT charge you for their services. They book the cruise at the current price, and spend every moment between when you book and when you depart looking for better deals or specials to apply to your package, so you may even save more as time goes on!

It's also important to note, that Disney's pretty set in what they charge for their cruises, so unlike other cruises, you're not going to see much if any price difference between travel agent's listed prices, and the price on the Disney Cruise website. If you do notice a price difference of a few hundred dollars or so, check to see if A) the travel agent price includes all of the taxes and fees, or if they're just showing the base price to make it appear cheaper to book with them. B) the Disney Cruise website automatically includes options like transportation from the airport to the ship and back as well as insurance in the price they show as you select your room. These options can be removed if you do not want them, lowering the price of your package (which, once removed will probably strongly resemble the prices you see on travel websites boasting such a great deal )

Magical Journey's is also staffed by knowledgeable, helpful people who really want to make sure you have the best vacation possible. If you have a question, they probably have the answer. If they don't, they'll track it down for you, and quickly! They can help remove a LOT of the stress that comes with planning, and as I mentioned earlier, it won't cost you anything extra, and may even save you additional money down the road! (Can you tell MJ is helping me significantly in planning MY first Disney Cruise? )
    There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure Island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main... and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life.
    Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Ooh.... awesome advice, thank you guys! I'll see what I can find through MJ - I KNEW you guys would have some great tips!

Thanks for the warm welcomes as well!

Please feel free to keep the tips coming!!!
    Tonya

Post Thanks / Like

Another question, are you planning on doing a land and sea package (spending some time at teh resort and parks as well as the cruise) or just a cruise? Peak times at the park could make a difference in your decisions about when to go.

Also, the fall is also hurricane season. The Disney ships are capable of going around the storm as I understand it, but it could make a difference as to when your cruise takes off and returns to port, and where! Cruise ships have been diverted to different ports due to the weather being too poor to sail to or from. While that's not to say you're definately going to hit bad weather in the fall, you should be aware that the risk is greater and you should make your choices accordingly. If it's a chance you're willing to take, you can probably save some money on your cruise.

As for spending money, it depends on how much you like to buy on vacation. Also, if you're planning on getting spa treatments on the ship, a little digging on the internet will help you find current pricing for services. Also, take a look at the different excursions offered for the cruises you're looking at book. Find out the cost of the excursions that your family would probably like to take and factor that into the cost of your vacation. (This also brings to mind the notion that the longer your cruise, the more stops the ship is going to make, thus the more options and possibilities for excursions, and the more you're going to want to budget for.)

I hope I'm not overwhelming you more than you already where! But, the way I see it, the more you know about what's in store for you, the more educated your decisions will be. For me, once I understand the big picture, it's easier to break it down into more manageable chunks.

I'm also a compuslive planner! Feel free to PM me if you want any specific tips on the planning process and stuff like that.
    There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure Island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main... and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life.
    Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

to INTERCOT!

I'm going to try to address your questions:

—For a first time out, I'd recommend the 4 day cruise. We did the 3 night to test the waters, and it was far too short. I'd also recommend the Spring over the Fall which is hurricane season. Cruises may be less expensive during that time period for that exact reason.

— We had a verandah on our first cruise... it was lovely. However, personally I wouldn't be comfortable with an active 3 year old with a verandah (but that's just me... my DS was quite the climber).

— You'll need to budget for tips first of all, and then decide whether you want to purchase a photo package. We didn't and I really don't regret that decision. Of course, we did have to buy a scrapbook album and their pack of papers, t-shirts and gifts for friends and family. Also keep in mind that alcoholic drinks, specialty coffees and smoothies cost extra. And you might want to consider dining in Palo for brunch or dinner (which has an upcharge of $15 per person and gratuity).

I also recommend Magical Journeys as we've been very happy with their service on both of our cruises!
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

WOO HOO! You guys ROCK!!! This is EXACTLY what I need! (No wonderlandsMostWanted, you didn't overwhelm me! If it's not obvious yet, I too am a compulsive planner! LOL!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by WonderlandsMostWanted View Post
    Another question, are you planning on doing a land and sea package (spending some time at teh resort and parks as well as the cruise) or just a cruise? Peak times at the park could make a difference in your decisions about when to go.
    No, we'll only be doing the cruise! We have the good fortune of having family in Orlando, so we'll be camping out at Grandma & Grandpa's for the "land" portion of our visit!

Also, the fall is also hurricane season. The Disney ships are capable of going around the storm as I understand it, but it could make a difference as to when your cruise takes off and returns to port, and where! Cruise ships have been diverted to different ports due to the weather being too poor to sail to or from. While that's not to say you're definately going to hit bad weather in the fall, you should be aware that the risk is greater and you should make your choices accordingly. If it's a chance you're willing to take, you can probably save some money on your cruise.
    This is EXACTLY what happened w/ our first cruise. My tummy didn't like the waves so much. However, our daughter's Birthday is at the end of October which was one of the reasons we were really considering the Fall. Hmmm...

As for spending money, it depends on how much you like to buy on vacation.
    A LOT! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ElenitaB View Post
    — We had a verandah on our first cruise... it was lovely. However, personally I wouldn't be comfortable with an active 3 year old with a verandah (but that's just me... my DS was quite the climber).
    This is my concern as well! lol I just didn't know if it would be nice to have, once we put them down for the night - rather than sitting in the dark!? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ElenitaB View Post
    :— You'll need to budget for tips first of all, and then decide whether you want to purchase a photo package. We didn't and I really don't regret that decision. Of course, we did have to buy a scrapbook album and their pack of papers, t-shirts and gifts for friends and family. Also keep in mind that alcoholic drinks, specialty coffees and smoothies cost extra. And you might want to consider dining in Palo for brunch or dinner (which has an upcharge of $15 per person and gratuity).
    GREAT tips! I'm a bit 'coffee' girl... looks like I'd better start saving! lol

Thank you guys so much for the help!!!!
    Tonya

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to the very knowledgable posters on this site, I'd highly recommend purchasing the Passporters Guide to DCL. It's a great resource and I always refer back to mine when I need a question answered.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

I would always recommend a 7 day cruise since I think you can really relax that way. I'd rather have a less desireable room and longer cruise if I had to consider the cost (and who doesn't.) I'm sure I'd love a balcony, but honestly on the one cruise I have been on I spend almost no time in my room. It was not a Disney cruise but we were in the pool, game rooms, kids programs, restaurants, shows. etc and hit the room only to change and sleep. Although a balcony would have been lovely after the kids went to sleep, we were so tired we found it easy to crash when they did! So this is my opinion anyway! Have a wonderful time! We are doing our first Disney Cruise during Spring Break in April.
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Natomas, California = 2908 miles from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

Tonyajo - You are going on a Disney Cruise and you are going to have the time of your life no matter what room you're in and no matter what budget you have.

I just got back from a Land Sea trip and we had a blast. We did have a veranda but our kids are 6 & 7 and I was also concerned about my kids being out there. We didn't allow them out on the veranda unless we were with them. My only regret is now I will "never" cruise without a veranda. I wanted to be in my cabin and found myself returning there again and again just to sit out there and relax, but believe me there is so much more to do.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions about our trip.

Bon Voyage
    Polynesian & DCL - 1st trip Jan 3rd '08 șOș
    Many Trips to Disneyland Resort șOș

Even if you're on the right track - you'll get run over if you just sit there!!
    - Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Great! Thank you guys for those tips... you've all been SO helpful!

Abeenormal... I just may have to take you up on the PM offer one of these days!
    Tonya

Post Thanks / Like

Tonya,

I think I can share some first hand experience that will help. My family and I took our first ever cruise and Disney Cruise last October 13th. We too have two children (5 and 2). It can be a bit overwhelming but we decided to go all out and do the 7 day and have no regrets. With the 7 day you get a extras like a Character Breakfast and Tea with Wendy. Every day was great and the weather was wonderful. My daughter too has an October birthday so it was fun to celebrate on the ship. I'll further endorse the Passporter Cruise book. They also have a site that will help with a forum like this. One other tip - once you pick a date see if you can find a cruise meets board for your trip on this site, disboards or the passporter board. Its great to meet people who will be on your cruise and you'll have a chance to ask a group you might even get to meet. Lastly on the TA side - I used one but could have gone it alone. I had already booked on the DCL site and didn't get much out of it. Mostly became a slow down when I had to go through them for my cruise docs. Regardless, you'll have a great time and will probably be like us, going back again!
    Nov - DW CSR 2003
    June - DL 2004
    May - DW ASM 2005
    April -DW FQ 2006
    Nov - DW CSR 2006
    Oct - DCL Magic & CSR 2007
    Aug - DCL Wonder Double Dip 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyajo View Post
    Hi!

I just joined you all... my friend, Terri, sent me!

DH and I are hoping to take our kiddos on a Disney Cruise next year, I've been researching different cruise options for awhile now and, frankly, I am just overwhelmed and hoping you all can help me!

First, I'm trying to narrow down the "best" time of year to go. I know it's subjective... I guess I'm just trying to figure out when you can get decent weather at a decent price. DH and I have only cruised once, in Jan., and the weather was horrible, the seas were rough - don't want to make that mistake again! We're leaning toward spring or fall... but certainly open for suggestions.

- How far in advance should we book? I'm assuming "the sooner the better"... which is why I need help with my frist question! LOL

- Is it better to book through the website or a travel agent? Or, is there an even better place to book!?!?

And, a few "general" questions:

-Our kiddos will be 3 and 6 in Sept./Oct of this year. We're thinking of a 4 day cruise, since we've never really done this before, but it looks like there is so much MORE on the 7 day cruises.... will we regret only doing 4 days? (My IL's, who live in Orlando, may be joining us too... so I'm trying to be considerate of their pocket book as well! lol)

-Which type of state room would you reccomend for a family of 4, first timers? I have NO idea how much time we'll be spending in our room... so I have no idea whether we will want to invest in a room w/ a verandah etc.

- What do you typically spend on "incedentals" on the trip? In other words, what should we plan to spend over and above the price of air and the cruise?

I know this is a LOT... I told you I was overwhelmed! If you can offer ANY insight, I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you so much for any help and I look forward to getting to know you all!

Hey Girlfriend!

Glad you found your way over here!
    How is the trip planning coming?
    Let me know if I can be of any more help!!!!!
    șOș

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget your passports!!! Don't forget to book your excursions as soon as you're able to (MJ will give you the date - I also recommend them) and don't forget to sign the kids up for the cool stuff.

We did a Princess cruise and there was NOTHING for our 5 year old to do. The kid's place on the DCL is 1/2 a deck!!!! And the entertainment on Princess was... bad Las Vegas. On Disney, I expect MUCH better.

to INTERCOT
    Then: #runICOT 1/16
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    VBR, OKW, Magic, & AKL 5/12
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie Power View Post
    Hey Girlfriend!

Glad you found your way over here!
    How is the trip planning coming?
    Let me know if I can be of any more help!!!!!
    Hey Ter!!!! I just stumbled across this!

I will definitely have to mark this thread, as you all have given me SO much great information! Unfortunately, we have to postpone our cruise because they dry docked the dates we needed. Hopefully we can find something that will work for everyone in 2010 (which seems TOO far away!!!!! *sigh* )
    Tonya

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: