Quantcast Free dining plan = crowded?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Free dining plan = crowded?

I made reservations for POFQ during Sept. with free dining. I read on this site that September is one of the lightest crowd times of the year. Has anyone been during FDP time, and if so how were the crowds?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Free Dining and Crowds

This will be our 4 straight year of free dining. The crowds were heavier last year than the previous 3 years. You MUST have ADRs if you want to eat at a sit-down restaurant. It's virtually impossible to get in at this time without them. The good news is that the parks are very manageable. We always have plenty of time to do everything we'd like to do. You'll need a fastpass for things like Soarin and Peter Pan, but there are also times that it has been so light that the fastpass machines weren't even open. We absolutely LOVE Disney in September. I'm not sure I would consider going at any other time, free dining or not!!! Have a great trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Disney in Sept. Is great, light crowds. Just make ADR's. Try to go to the Not so Scary Mickey's Halloween if they offer it when you go. It is wonderful.
    8th trip 6 more days at the Poly

Post Thanks / Like

This will be our 3rd September in a row. It's a great time to go.

Make your ADR's asap. The restaurants are very busy. But with only a few exceptions, we didn't notice that it affected our service.

The parks are extremely manageable. Last year, the only fast pass we did was for Soarin'. Most ride wait were under 20 minutes. It was fantastic.

8/11 CSR
    8/10 - Wilderness Lodge
    2009 CSR
    2009 Ft Wilderness Cabins
    2008 Polynesian
    2008 POR
    2007 CSR
    2007 OKW
    2006 CBR
    Many offsite trips...before kids

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

The crowds are low in comparison to other times of the year. Now it is hit or miss with crowds. You never know why a particular "slow week " may be crowded. We generally have good luck in September even with free dining.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

We did the free dining in Sept 2006. The crowds in the parks really are very light. We hardly waited for anything. We never noticed the people until it was time to eat. As long as you have your ADRs you will be fine. The restaraunts definitely book up. We had a wonderful time
    Amanda, Mom of 4

ASMo Mar 2005
    Pop Sep 2006, Jan 2014, Jan 2016
    SSR Dec 2006
    Disney Magic Jan 2008, Mar 2009, Apr 2011
    OKW Jan 2009, June 2012, December 2017
    POFQ Jan 2012
    VWL Oct 2012
    AKV Jan 2013, June 2013, Aug 2015
    AOA July 2014
    All Star Sports Jan 2015

Post Thanks / Like

I do agree with the PPs, however, each year the crowds during free dining are getting heavier. More and more are finding out about the free dining and a lot of people return to take advantage of it year after year.

As also previously mentioned, if you plan on taking advantage of the free dining, ADRs are a MUST!!!! Good luck if you don't have them. Already, many restaurants are completly full for the entire month.

Have a great time and enjoy the light crowds!!
    John (aka HndrdPrcnt)

DL CM 1987 - 1994
    CM WDW Trips 87,89,90,92
    CBR 1994
    Beach Club 1998
    All Stars 2000
    POP Sept 25-Oct 2 2006

Post Thanks / Like

I agree w Sept being a good time (except some poss rain) the crowds are eating more, not as much on the rides. except poss MK which I always find being the most crowded
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

We have been during Free Dining in both 05 and 07. Yes, the crowds are "manageable", though definitely there are a lot more people in the parks during this time than there used to be. The problems are with the restaurants, which are obviously very crowded, and the resorts, which are basically all packed. Both times that we have been during Free Dining we have found that our resort (AKL in 05 and Poly in 07) was almost totally full and we could not get our room requests because there were no other rooms available.
    Mike

Trips: 1983,1986,1988,1991 - Off-site
    Jan 2001 - WL
    Nov 2004 - WL

Sep 2005 - AKL
    Sep 2007 - Poly
    May 2009 - CBR
    May 2010 - Poly
    Oct 2010 - Pop
    May 2012 - BC
    Next trip May 2014 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I would say that it really depends on your perspective as it relates to being "crowded."

If you went to Disney in September in like '02, '03, or '04 it was dead. DEAD. Like ghost town, dead. There were multiple times when I was literally alone in an entire section of the park at times.

It's definitely not like that now. But if you're comparing it to, say, summer time ... or Christmas ... then yeah it's much slower than that.

Truth be told, Disney has done a very good job of evening out their attendance levels. They've scheduled special events and things like free dining during their traditionally slow times to help to boost attendance. There really is no such thing as a true "slow time" at Disney World anymore.

One thing I can't stress enough it to make your dining reservations in advance! With the free dining, the restaurants fill up very quickly and you could literally find yourself unable to get in anywhere if you don't have advance ressies.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We went last year.The only rides we couldn't just walk on was Haunted Mansion (it had just re-opened that week with the new scenes, still was only half hour wait) and Peter Pan (Why? Don't know! We were at MK at opening, went straight back, and it was ALREADY ten minute wait!)

This was my first "off week" going, so to me, the crowds at the restaurants weren't any different than, say, going during the summer at peak season. All in all not to shabby.
    Contemporary Resort, 06/03
    Pop Century Resort, 6/05 and 12/08
    Disneyland's Paradise Pier, 10/06
    Carribbean Beach Resort, 09/07
    Coronado Springs Resort, 01/10
    Wilderness Lodge, 6/14 - The Susie Angel Celebration
    Pop Century Resort, 02/16 - Princess Half Marathon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceship Tigger View Post
    We have been during Free Dining in both 05 and 07. Yes, the crowds are "manageable", though definitely there are a lot more people in the parks during this time than there used to be. The problems are with the restaurants, which are obviously very crowded, and the resorts, which are basically all packed. Both times that we have been during Free Dining we have found that our resort (AKL in 05 and Poly in 07) was almost totally full and we could not get our room requests because there were no other rooms available.
    ITA
    We have gone to WDW in September every year since 1996. September is not what is used to be. Free Dining has brought in more people each year it has been offered. I would expect the same to be true this year.
    There just seems to be lots of people everywhere but, the waits for the most part, are still manageable.
    The resorts are busier and the restaurants are packed!!
    We were there this past September. The 13-22nd. From all reviews I have read, and from our experience, that week seemed to have been more busy then the other weeks that FD was offered.

With planning and Fast Pass you should be fine.
    DVC Members @ SSR
    19 Trips since 1996:
    Caribbean Beach Resort-2x's, Dixie Landings-2x, POFQ-2x's, POR-3x's All Star Movies-4x's, Pop-1x, Saratoga Springs-2x, BWV-1x, OKW-2x

Just got back: August 17th-22nd POR

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: