Quantcast Uh oh, another smoking thread - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a smoker, but for the most part I agree with the anti-smoking views on here. Yes I have tried to quit unsuccesfully, Yes I am a big wimp. Probably would be easier if my lovely DW quit as well. Anyhow I dont have any issues with finding smoking areas in the parks or resorts. Last year it did not bother me at all having to go to certain areas. It is a choice to smoke, it is also a choice to stay at certain resorts. I want to stay at and visit WDW more than I want to smoke everywhere.
    Please stop for a moment set aside an hour and go find a police officer working a beat and thank them..164 officers last year never got that thank you.. ~ Borrowed and Edited from Nick Ruggiero
    April 24th-29th 2012 WL

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmosher View Post
    The other and most realistic option:
    2) Florida as a whole needs to implement a statewide ban on smoking the way a few states and individual cities/counties have....

If the State of Fl would implement this ban, then Disney would be off the hook as would all other theme parks, and attendance would not suffer. Sadly there is a rather large chuck of the so called "smoking dollar" going into WDW and if those people did not come to WDW out of inconvenience or just a general protest, our beloved WDW would greatly suffer. I know there will be those who disagree with me but believe me, I have seen the numbers, it's a fact.

So, yes write your letters, but not just to Disney, write to the State Comptroller or if you live in FL, write to your Congressman, write to anyone and everyone and tell them how you feel. Just because on occasion your vote may not be seen, doesn't mean you voice will not be heard.
    Actually, Florida has had a state-wide ban on smoking for at least four years. It covers restaurants, the workplace and enclosed public places. It does allow for smoking in designated areas outdoors, providing they are a certain distance away from entryways and other areas where people pass through or congregate.

I would be interested to hear about other state-wide bans that are even more strict, and whether they cover venues such as theme parks. I agree that it would be tough to enforce such a ban at Disney World--it is so big that it would essentially eliminate all smokers from going there if there weren't anyplace on property for them to smoke.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LilHooligan74 View Post
    I am a smoker, but for the most part I agree with the anti-smoking views on here. Yes I have tried to quit unsuccesfully, Yes I am a big wimp. Probably would be easier if my lovely DW quit as well.

I see you're in SC--so am I. What part? I work for a smoking cessation program that has had great results in the past 3 years that I've been here. It especially works well when both partners decide to stop because you can become a support system for each other. PM me if you would like more info.
    Next Trip: 2008 (hoping and praying)
    POR-August 2007

Post Thanks / Like

i think it would be stupid for disney to ban smoking..they would lose alot of business...if they are willing to do it i say go for it..but i think it would be very unfair..almost like a racist kinda thing if you think about it....i hope someone out there understands what im trying to say....
    i think disney should do more advertising about it being smoke free mostly and have more signs as to where the smoking areas are! they dont exactly do a good job on this..so i can see why people dont know about the areas...
    granted i use to be a smoker..and i would go to the areas..but i wouldnt of known.. if i wasnt an avid disney freak..and kept up on everything that happens..
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Disney enforcing the rules. Looks like they need a lesson on that in a few area's. I luckily have not encountered anybody breaking the rules. My Mom is a smoker and has always used the designated spots, which most are out of the way, at least the ones she used. My husband has asthma and my son is allergic, so I know what it's like to stay away. Even sometimes my mothers clothes makes my husband wheeze. Banning it parkwide I think will never happen at least I hope not. Not that I am for smoking, but it is unfair to those who follow the rules. I know if they ever did ban smoking altogether I know quite a few people who would not go.
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

Post Thanks / Like

Would it be to much for Disney to just create a park for smokers. The park would have lots of trees to filter out the smoke and tons of benches and ashtrays to keep everything clean. And all the smokers would gather here to get their fill of nicotine without bothering any other guests. I can just hear it now on the busses "Next Stop Is Smokers Haven Park, All Smokers Exit Here" LOL "And as a courtesy to other guests we would appreciate if you could wait until the bus has departed the station before lighting up. Thank you."
    Ariel
    Disneyland Annual Pass Holder

VMK Name: IzzyInWonderland

1996-Disneyland Hotel
    1998-Disneyland Hotel
    2002-WDW All-Star Music Resort

COUNTLESS TRIPS TO DLR BUT ONLY 1 TRIP TO WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizNee143 View Post
    i think it would be stupid for disney to ban smoking..they would lose alot of business...
    I've got to disagree with this. Studies done in states and cities that have smoking bans in bars and restaurants conclude that the bans have little to no impact upon business.
    "They've done research you know...60% of the time, it works every time"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizNee143 View Post
    but i think it would be very unfair..almost like a racist kinda thing if you think about it....i hope someone out there understands what im trying to say....
    Err I don't get it, sorry. Smokers are not a constitutionally protected group. Smoking is a recreational activity that turns into an addiction. Plenty of places are now smoke free without issue. Disney rooms are also smoke free now, so it's not that far fetched to think they could ban it from the parks. I don't see at all how it could be compared to racism.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose as more and more states have bans it would be just a matter of time until the Parks do as well. Hard to say though since the smoking areas are outside and I think most state bans ban from smoking inside don't they or within so many feet of building entraces/exits?
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    I would be interested to hear about other state-wide bans that are even more strict, and whether they cover venues such as theme parks.
    I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you can smoke anywhere in Disneyland.

California has a statewide ban on smoking in public places. I think it even includes outdoor public areas. Like the only place you're allowed to smoke is in your car, at home, and in certain designated areas at your workplace.

I'm not 100% sure on that, though. There may be exceptions that I'm not aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyJayhawk View Post
    I've got to disagree with this. Studies done in states and cities that have smoking bans in bars and restaurants conclude that the bans have little to no impact upon business.
    Yeah, here in Philly that was the claim, too. That bars and restaurants would lose all this business if they banned smokers.

Truth is, virtually all of them have reported upswings in business as people with smoke allergies or just general aversions to being slowly poisoned while eating have come back to them and replaced the few smokers who are incapable of going even a few hours without smoking.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Just checked and I'm wrong about DL:

Smokers Guide to the Disneyland Resort

California has tough smoking restrictions and Disneyland is even tougher. Smoking is prohibited even in outdoor areas except for designated smoking areas.
    Designated smoking areas:

Disneyland:
    • New Orleans Square, outside Harbor Galley
    • Frontierland, near Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    • Fantasyland, near Matterhorn Bobsleds
    • Main Entry Plaza outside both theme parks
    Disney's California Adventure:
    • Hollywood Pictures Backlot, near Muppet*Vision 3D
    • Golden State, near Soarin' Over California
    • Golden State, near Grizzly River Run
    • Paradise Pier, near Golden Zephyr
    • Paradise Pier, near Sun Wheel
    Downtown Disney District:
    Smoking is prohibited inside stores, dining areas and restrooms.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

In the study does it mention that every one of those bars or restaurants have ashtrays and or receptacles outside the establishment? At least every bar and restaurant I have seen in NY, CT, and MA are like that. The majority of smokers did not take their business elsewhere they just started to go outside and smoke at the front door.
    I grew up close to New York City and I remember all the ruckus going on about the ban that happened there for restaurants not containing bars or pubs. They soon changed it to all bars and restaurants. Connecticut followed suit shortly after but made it a ban for bars and Restaurants right away. We visit Ct. four times a year, if we are at a restaurant and want to smoke we go outside. All these bans essentially did was move the smokers outside for smoke breaks, which achieved the goal of removing it from restaurants. I truthfully hope the ban happens here in South Carolina as well, but then again this was big bacca country so who knows.
    I smoke I have said it before, but I don't like people smoking when I am eating. I don't smoke in my house.
    I agree with most posts on this thread. Many posters appear to be angered by a few that don't follow the rules. Enforcement is the key, not punishment. The rules would work if they could be enforced but how many more CM's would that take to be enforced 100% and how much more would a park ticket be because of it? Which would affect the bottom line more? The hiring more CMs to enforce the rules or WDW going 100% smoke free?
    WDW going completely smoke free is not going to stop it. I think there would be financial ramifications to WDW going completely smoke free. You can not compare restaurants being smoke free to WDW being smoke free. Logistically it is two different things. If it were to happen just like New York and Connecticut, where would the smoking area be? The park entrance, just like right outside the front door of bars and restaurants in New York and Connecticut. I am positive there soon would be people complaining about that as well.
    A little off subject but along the same lines. How come when you go to gas stations do you see signs that state gas fumes contain carcinogens but the gas stations have removed the device that allows the nozzle to dispense fuel with out you standing over the nozzle inhaling the fumes.
    I just want to end with saying I love everyone on Intercot, just remember that when you read this.
    Just raising some points not trying to argue.
    Please stop for a moment set aside an hour and go find a police officer working a beat and thank them..164 officers last year never got that thank you.. ~ Borrowed and Edited from Nick Ruggiero
    April 24th-29th 2012 WL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Just checked and I'm wrong
    Ahhhh.... Sorry Ian, I just had to see that in print one more time.

Anyway, I would love to see a total ban in the parks but agree that you would have some people that light up anyway. But, those are probably the same people that are breaking the rules right now anyway.

I quit 13 years ago because I was pregnant with my 2nd child. I smoked while pregnant with my first DD who is now 27... she has had a smoker's cough since she was a child and it gets worse with age. The only smoking she ever did was because of me... 2nd hand.
    Knowing what I did to her will bother me for the rest of my life.

For those of you that still smoke, check into Chantix... it is an amazing drug that helps you stop smoking... FAST. And, think of how much money you can save for that next Disney trip.
    ~Angel~
    Proud DVC owners!
    SSR January 2007
    Bay Lake November 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Tennessee banned smoking in restaurants and clubs that serve anyone under 21 a few months ago....so far it hasn't impacted the businesses.
    Go Nashville Predators!
    9/09 ASMo
    10/08 ASMu
    9/07 Caribbean Beach
    1/07 Marriott - family trip

9/06 Coronado Springs

09/03 Coronado Springs - Honeymoon
    10/99 Coronado Springs

06/96 Old Key West
    07/93 Beach Club
    12/91 Offsite - High School Trip

Post Thanks / Like

They banned smoking in public places in Scotland a few years ago and its been the best thing ever. I love being able to go to a pub and not come out reeking of smoke, nor does my sister who has rapunzel hair have to worry about ciggarette burns in her hair.

As far as I am aware pubs and restaurants did not lose business over this, however you do tend to see crowds of smokers standing outside even on the coldest of nights.

For WDW I think theat the smoking areas should be kept but there needs to be more enforcement on people who break the rules. A warning and then exclusion from the park.

Unfortunatley there is a mentality among a lot of people that the rules don't apply to them only to other people. This needs to stop.

If a child breaks a rule then they are punished.
    Adults need to realise that the same thing applies to them
    Dragongirlx (AkA Ruth)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

2004 - offsite
    2006 - Dolphin
    2007- WL
    2008 - Poly
    2009 - WL
    2010 - GF
    2012 - WL
    2013 - WL
    2014 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

While I agree the best solution is probably enforcement of current rules. I believe most smokers would be courteous enough to move to the proper locations. That being said, I doubt if Disney would lose any business if they did implement a smoking ban.
    °O° Von Drake °O°
    10 trips before 2000 | 2001 Offsite | 2001 SOG | 2002 CR | 2005 ASSp & SOG | 2006 OffSite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 POP | 2008 POP & SOG

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Here we go again... View Post
    Ahhhh.... Sorry Ian, I just had to see that in print one more time.
    Ha! You need to stop by my house some time. You'll hear me proclaimed "wrong" multiple times per hour.

Sometimes by my wife ... sometimes by DD5 ... it happens very, very frequently.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Ha! You need to stop by my house some time. You'll hear me proclaimed "wrong" multiple times per hour.

Sometimes by my wife ... sometimes by DD5 ... it happens very, very frequently.
    Wow your girls and my girls must have read the same handbook.
    April 24th-29th 2012 WL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian;1565051
    Yeah, here in Philly that was the claim, too. That bars and restaurants would lose all this business if they banned smokers.

Truth is, virtually all of them have reported [I
    upswings[/I] in business as people with smoke allergies or just general aversions to being slowly poisoned while eating have come back to them and replaced the few smokers who are incapable of going even a few hours without smoking.
    I've got to tell ya, being prime bar/clubbing age, this is absolutely true. Bars are still oh so very crowded. Even the local corner bars where people have been coming for decades. You wanna light up? Pop your head outside, not that hard. I don't care if smokers congregate by the door. It's so refreshing to not come home hacking your lungs up from other people's smoke.

As far as Disney, I do think they need to enforce smoking areas more strictly before they ban altogether, but I don't think a ban would have terrible consequences.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Disclaimer: I am in no way trying to start another smoking debate here on Intercot. I just want to pass on some info.

We were at the parks a few weeks ago when my wife encountered a person smoking outside Playhouse Disney Live (not a smoking area). When DW politely informed the woman that it wasn't a smoking area, her only reaction was to tell DW to move. DW then had a CM explain the policy to the smoker who subsequently cursed at my wife in front of our children.

When this was related to me, I went to guest relations to tell them I'd like to see a total smoking ban at the parks. I have know idea if they care about such requests, or keep track of them, but I wanted to let someone know. The CM said that the best way to get the message across was to email my request to [email protected]. I have done so.

The problem is not that smoking is allowed at the parks, the problem is that way too many people ignore the rules and smoke wherever they want. I am proceeding under the assumption that a total smoking ban would be easier to enforce than the current partial-ban. I may be right, I may be wrong. At any rate, I know this issue has come up on the boards here before, and I just wanted to pass the email address along so others would have the opportunity to join, or oppose, my request.
    There was a day when things like this would surprise me, I find it quite typical with today, they seem to think the rules dont apply to them......
    BC DVC Member10/06 BLT Member1/09
    Outside Park New Years 03
    PO 10/03 PO 10/04 HONEYMOOM PC 12/05 PC 12/06 BC 1/07 BCV 11/07 BCV 02/08
    BCV 11/08 SS 2/09
    NEVER ENOUGH!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: