Quantcast What kind of home do you live in - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

We live in a 4 bedroom, 3.5 bathroom single family home, about 2400 sq. ft. It was built last year. It's just my husband and I, so we have plenty of room to spread out. Previously we were in a 1600 sq. ft. townhouse, so we are still getting extra furniture and such for this house.

Our game room has Disney decor. When we were at DLR, we purchased eight of the vintage ride posters with the black frames, and we have a big bookcase with collectibles, picture frames, etc. I've forced myself to limit Disney decor to that room so that it doesn't get out hand!
    Last edited by Aggie97; 02-16-2008 at 06:56 PM. Reason: typo
    ºOº April ºOº

Next trips: GF Sept. '14, WL Jan. - Feb. '15!
    Previous stays: WL, AKL, Polynesian, POFQ, Newport Bay Club (DLP), DL Hotel, GF, DxL

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We live in a 1400 sq ft ranch on about an acre of land. It was built in 1956 with an addition from 1988. We bought the house in 2001 and had to paint the entire interior of the house (and rip wallpaper off the walls in almost every room!). It's not big but it suits our needs well. For most I think this would be a starter home but for us it's perfect. It has 3 bedrooms, 2 full baths, a great basement with finished and unfinished space, a deck, and a partially fenced yard. The only complaint I would have about the house is that we don't have a dining room and the living room is fairly small (12X18).

TikiG
    Many trips from childhood to 2008, WDW/DLP
    8/09: Ultimate Adventurer Trip, WL Concierge/AKL
    6/10: POFQ
    12/10: Mousefan Reunion (Pop)
    8/11, 7/12: AKL Concierge
    10/12: ICOT 15th solo trip (Pop)
    4/13: Pop
    7/13: Hilton Bonnet Creek
    7/14: 3 nights at BLT
    12/14: US, IOA, and WDW

Post Thanks / Like

I live in a 2 bed 2 bath apt, about 900 square feet with my husband and brother. It'll do for now!
    Karen

2009 ~ Hopefully next trip!
    1/2006 ~Coronado Springs
    12/1999 ~Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

DH-to-be and I live in a 990 square foot, 1 bedroom, 2 bathroom condo. It's quite spatious, with few dividing walls so it feels much bigger than it is.

We moved in when it was brand new, and we got to pick everything, which is just great. We're most likely going to be here for at least a few more years, but we'd like to sell this particular place and move to another unit in the building with 2 bedrooms. Don't know if I see that happening anytime in the near future though!
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

Mr. & Mrs. Mouse are heading back to WDW! We're celebrating our 1st anniversary at the Wilderness Lodge in July!!

Post Thanks / Like

I live in a single story, single family ranch with 2 bedrooms and 1 bath, 1 car garage and a fire place. It's about 1000 sq feet and I think I have about 1/2 acre of land. I can mow the whole lawn in about 45 minutes.
    Melanie-I know what you mean about the concrete homes in Okinawa. How well I remember them!
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    One creepy thing though is that apparently 100 years ago people used to be laid out in their homes after death instead of funeral parlors. When my parents moved in they found a desk with pictures of dead people in it!!!!
    That's so funny you mention that! We found the same thing! The original owners of the house were a couple and the woman was apparently the first female organist to ever play at a large NYC venue (I believe it was the Metropolitan Opera but I can't be sure. My brother would remember). Anyway, my brother used to work in the town library and one day while shelving books, he found a book that the husband wrote about his wife - this man loved her to pieces and wrote this little book about her! We know for sure it's about the couple who owned our house (my parents house) because there was an original hand written letter from the publisher stapled inside the front cover, addressed to him at our address. Inside the book there is a photo of the wife being laid out in our dining room!!! We were about 15 years old when he found this book and we were more than a little creeped out - we had never heard of such a thing. My brother took the book out a few times but sadly at one point it went missing. Now that I'm older I would definitely be more interested in reading it and finding out about their history.

The other funny thing is that there is a painting of her (I believe her name was Margaret) that is up in the attic. When my Dad found it, he called the previous owners to ask them about it. They told him it was the wife and original owner and they were superstitious about removing it from the house. I guess my parents agreed because the painting has stayed in the same spot since it was put there. I guess no one wants to upset the spirits of a 110+ year old house!

Our neighbors, who's house was built at the same time, found a trunk in their attic that they won't remove either. They do swear their house has a ghost (they call him the Captain). Some of their stories definitely creep me out a little!
    Jen aka conorsmom2000

1977 - Fort Wilderness
    1995, 2005, 2006 - Wilderness Lodge
    2017 - Coronado Springs
    2024 - Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears View Post
    We live in a typhoon-proof cement block. It's all the rage around here.
    Mel
    Learn how to make them and come down here you could make a ton of money.....

BRET/TTFN
    DVC Member 7/04 Wilderness Lodge Villas 6-08 Saratoga Springs
    Next Trip 6-16
    Disney Cruise 6-16
    Disney World tons of times

Post Thanks / Like

We have a 2100 sq ft house...3 bedrooms 2 baths completely remodeled with a pool/spa/rock waterfall! We LOVE it!

We also have a ranch in SE Oklahoma that is really pretty with a cabin and 5 ponds (1 is 3 acres big, so we call it the plake 1/2 pond 1/2 lake)! We love it as well!
    Polynesian and Wonder 3/14-3/23

BostonChic Guest

Smile our home

We have a single family campello;3 bdr. with no basement which I'd rather a garage anyways.
    The color siding we chose was a sort of dark blue with white since we see alot of light blue or yellow.
    We will be getting a shed and possibly a pool in the near future

Post Thanks / Like

We live in a ranch about 1320 sq. ft. 3 bedrooms, one bath an older home. When we sided the house we found newspaper from 1927 that was used to insulate it. We have 1 1/2acres. A two car detached garage. A corner lot in a wonderful neighborhood with great neighbors. Only 20 homes.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears View Post
    We live in a typhoon-proof cement block. It's all the rage around here.

I remember those houses too, don't put down rugs and just use a corn husk broom to sweep the water out the front door!

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post

One creepy thing though is that apparently 100 years ago people used to be laid out in their homes after death instead of funeral parlors. When my parents moved in they found a desk with pictures of dead people in it!!!!

My MIL STILL takes pictures at every wake she goes to!!! I tell my sister in law that that photo album is definately going to HER when the parents die I do not want it in my house.

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    I love the story of our house. My father is a Norwegian who grew up in a Norwegian neighborhood in Brooklyn. A bunch of the families there got together and bought parcels of former farmland in central Jersey to build summer cottages, apparently a Scandinavian tradition that everyone, except the very poor, had summer homes. My Grandfather built the small cottage in 1941 with wood from the torn down pavilions from the 1939 World’s Fair (my Grandfather was a carpenter for The NYC Dept. of Transit.) He built it by himself on weekends (and a few friends and my 10 - 14 year old uncles.) The full basement was dug out with a scoop drawn by a team of horses. My father’s family spent summers there during and after the War, with my Grandfather only being there on weekends. There was no plumbing or electricity, water was from several hand pumps located throughout the community, still there but not working. The outhouse is still in my backyard. In 1955 they put on an addition with a kitchen and bathroom, plumbing, insulation, electricity, and my father and my uncle lived there for a few years. In 1961 they added a second small addition (making 1350 sq ft on 1st floor and about 500 sq ft in the now unused attic rooms) and my Grandfather retired and moved there with my Step-Grandmother full time (my Grandmother died in 1957.) My Grandfather died in 1968 and my Step-Grandmother lived there alone until she died in 1994. During those 26 years the house fell into disrepair. Then I made a deal with my uncle that if I could live there for taxes, insurance, and maintenance cost, that I would fix up the house. I got married 4 years later and in 2002 we bought the house. With no kids 1350 sq ft is plenty. Although with only 1 bath, we could use another ½.

This is a really cool story! I loved it til I saw the giants fan at the end

I live in a ranch house about 1000 sq ft. 3 small bedrooms 1 bathroom, half finished cellar 2 fireplaces,2 car garage and just under an acre of land
    it belongs to my inlaws and we rent
    I would love another bathroom but we have no money and no place to put it. I envision winning mega millions and really redoing the whole house but.....
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

We built our house 6 years ago.

We have a 2400 sq ft. Cape Cod style home. We have three bedrooms, three baths, living room, den, kitchen, dining room and a play room. My favorite part of our home is my 40' covered front porch. We love to curl up on the rocking chairs with a quilt during a good rain.

Our back yard is fenced in for our kids and dogs.

We have room for a pool and garage. In time, no rush.

It is just our family here. DH and I with our three kiddos. We have two dogs, one cat and a rabbit too.
    DVC Members @ SSR
    19 Trips since 1996:
    Caribbean Beach Resort-2x's, Dixie Landings-2x, POFQ-2x's, POR-3x's All Star Movies-4x's, Pop-1x, Saratoga Springs-2x, BWV-1x, OKW-2x

Just got back: August 17th-22nd POR

Post Thanks / Like

2400 sq ft colonial 4 bdrm 2 1/2 bath plenty of space for me ,DW and 2 dogs we spend most of our time in family room or in our back yard
    1085.35 miles from Fort Wilderness
    92-Port
    93-Poly
    99-Fort
    00-Fort
    01-Fort
    02-Fort
    03-Fort
    04-Fort
    05-Fort
    06-Fort
    07-Fort
    oct. 08-Fort

Post Thanks / Like

We just moved from our starter home.

We purchased house #1 in 1994, got married in 96 and had DD#1 in 2000. DD#2 arrived in 2001. It was a great house for us until 2 years ago. It was cheap living, but we had no room. I mean the Princess Castle and all the toys were always cluttered in the living room. I think it was about 1200 square feet and had a tall narrow stair case with 13 steps to the up stairs bedrooms.
    It took 7 months to sell in this horrible market here in the Northeast, and living with my mom for 4 months until we found the perfect house for us.
    We bought a 4-bedroom 2 bath cape with 2200 square feet, garage and a full finished basement in a very nice neighborhood. God is Good! My DH is too much, with moving. We want our girls to have a good life, and we could afford many extras with our little house (ie, boat, nice vacations, fun day trips, and we have them in a Christian School). He was always with the calculator figuring out different scenerios. It is working out. I continue to work part-time (25 hours per week). Our little house served us well, it allowed us a good life and great down payment on our new house.
    I love our new house. Plenty of room for everyone!
    Julie
    P.S. Just an aside, my office relocated to a 200 year old Dutch farm house. It's pretty cool. There are a lot of interesting things in that place. The most common theme is no closet space. People in the 1800's didn't have much clothing. LOL!
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

We just bought our first house last October and we moved in the day we got home from our honeymoon.

It is a 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath ranch with a huge deck and yard and we're planning on finishing the basement this summer. This will be my husband's project, but I think I may have to find a place down there to sneak in a hidden Mickey!
    Adults are only kids grown up...

March 2013 - Beach Club
    October 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    September 2009 - Contemporary
    February 2009 - Yacht Club
    April 2008 - Contemporary/Grand Floridian
    October 2007 - DLR - GC -Honeymoon trip!
    March 2007 - Poly
    February 2006 - DLR - Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Victorian style 4 BR 2 1/2 ba very lg backyard culdesac. We are outside Atlanta so there's some neat Civil War history here. I used one bed for my sewing and design studio (and catchall room). We don't have a basement like many people here, and I want to go back to FL, so we are hoping to get a 5/6 Bed 3 ba there.

Post Thanks / Like

First house was a 900 square foot story and a half with 2 bedrooms on less than 1/4 acre that we lived in for the first ten years we were married. Oddly enough we moved out EXACTLY 10 years to the day after we moved in. Didn't plan it that way it just happened.

Second house was a 1500 square foot ranch with 3 bedrooms and basement on 3/4 acre that we lived in for the second 10 years that we were married. Oddly enough we moved out EXACTLY 10 years to the day after we moved in. Didn't plan it that way it just happened. No, that wasn't a typo, we really did live in each of our first two homes exactly 10 years apiece.

Our current home is a log home that is about 2100 square feet story and a half with a gorgeous loft on about 2 acres of land that is heavily wooded. We also have a pond that is about 1/4 acre. That makes the pond on our current place about the same size as our entire property was when we were first married.

We now live out in the country and love it immensely. Of course, we will have been in this house for five years this fall so everyone is kidding us that we only have five more years to go in it.

You want to know the really weird thing? A highway is slated to take our property and we are being told that it is likely that we will have to move in five years!! What are the odds of that?

Of course, even if the road doesn't take us we will probably have to sell about that time if not before because of all my back problems. Five years from now will make my youngest son a senior in high school and there is no way I will be able to take care of this place without any of my kids to help. It really has been great to have three kids who are so willing to help!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie97 View Post
    We live in a 4 bedroom, 3.5 bathroom single family home, about 2400 sq. ft. It was built last year. It's just my husband and I, so we have plenty of room to spread out. Previously we were in a 1600 sq. ft. townhouse, so we are still getting extra furniture and such for this house.

Our game room has Disney decor. When we were at DLR, we purchased eight of the vintage ride posters with the black frames, and we have a big bookcase with collectibles, picture frames, etc. I've forced myself to limit Disney decor to that room so that it doesn't get out hand!
    Hi April, you are my neighbor! Yeah, we have a 2200 sf house now and no kids when we moved in. We have since added our three little girls another cat (making two) and a crazy border collie, needless to say, it is crazy trying to keep it all organized! I remember when we moved in, one room, which became the nursery was empty that whole time and another was the guest room and our room and my office. I couldn't believe how much space it was! I would in a way like to keep this place AND get something in FL in a rural area.

Post Thanks / Like

3 bedroom 2 1/2 bath traditional, 1900sq feet and taxes 1/3 of what they were when we lived in NJ in a 1500sq foot house.
    Up Next
    15 Disney Hilton Head Jul 5 - Jul 7
    15 Disney Dream Jul 1 - Jul 5
    15 Beach Club Jun 27- Jul 1
    14 Dolphin Resort Jun 12-16
    13 Fort Wilderness Christmas Dec 20- Dec 26

Post Thanks / Like

We live in a 4 bedroom home with 2.5 bathrooms.

I don't know anything about stories or sq footage, but it's got a basement, and 3 additional floors. We also have HUGE backyard which is about the size of a little league baseball field.
    Janine
    -----------------
    Disney World: 87, 89, 92, 96-97, 99-00, 02-05, 07-14
    Disneyland: 05, 10-14
    RunDisney: 13 (Princess, Dumbo, ToT), 14 (Dopey, Tink, Glass Slipper, Dumbo, Wine & Dine, Avengers), 15 (Dopey, Rebel Challenge)
    DVC Member: 07-NOW

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: