Quantcast 'Ohana new menu - a dining review - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm disappointed to see the wontons go. My DH loves wontons. I'm curious to try the shrimp since I've never had it and love spicy food. Why get rid of the potatoes? I rather have potatoes than noodles.
    Go Nashville Predators!
    9/09 ASMo
    10/08 ASMu
    9/07 Caribbean Beach
    1/07 Marriott - family trip

9/06 Coronado Springs

09/03 Coronado Springs - Honeymoon
    10/99 Coronado Springs

06/96 Old Key West
    07/93 Beach Club
    12/91 Offsite - High School Trip

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We will be dining at Ohana on February 16 so I will let you know! I have never been and we have dinner reservations. I am excited to try those potatoes though, I have not heard a bad thing about them!!!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Here we go again...;1538215]Well, we just got back from 'Ohana and ate off the new menu.

Wontons are gone and steamed dumplings have replaced them. yuck. The chef said that he wants to fry them but he is getting resistance from Disney. This is all part of their Getting Healty plan.

do you try the dumplings? are they pork?
    will be going to Ohana's twice in June , we made the ADR'S before we knew anything about a menu change, maybe we'll have to make it back for 1 visit?? the shrimp doesn't bother me since im alergic, and i dont mind the sausage being gone either , but the wontons and the potatoes were really good so they'll be missed, i surely hope that they don't take the wings away, because they are awesome.

VIctor
    95-97,99(dixie landings)
    06/06(asmo- mighty ducks)
    06/07(asmu - jazz inn)
    12/07(asmu - broadway)
    06/08(asmu - calypso)
    12/08(asmu - rock inn)
    09/09(asmu - broadway)
    03/10(boardwalk)free upgrade
    09/10-(asmu- rock inn)
    10/11-(asmu-country+7 day west carib cruise)
    3/12- (okw resort dvc)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    I do hate to lose the potatoes, delicious dish, but the noodles fit the menu better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    The potatoes are delicious but never fitted the theme of the menu. I understand why the chef would prefer noodles, which are more consistent with the rest of the meal.
    I guess since I'm not a "foodie", I don't really get this whole idea of switching out a great dish just because it doesn't fit the "theme." I can understand the rest of the changes because I realize that I'm not a typical eater and those changes may have more of a mass appeal, but it seems obvious from the responses that the potatoes are widely considered the best part of the meal. I may be alone here, but when I go out to eat I don't care a drop about "themes", I just want delicious food.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Maui Potatoes

Does anyone have recepi for Maui Potatoes- ?
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    I guess since I'm not a "foodie", I don't really get this whole idea of switching out a great dish just because it doesn't fit the "theme." I can understand the rest of the changes because I realize that I'm not a typical eater and those changes may have more of a mass appeal, but it seems obvious from the responses that the potatoes are widely considered the best part of the meal. I may be alone here, but when I go out to eat I don't care a drop about "themes", I just want delicious food.
    Well, the whole meal has a sort of Polynesian theme to it and it used to be rice, not potatoes. Potatoes aren't really the first thing to come to mind with the style of meal. There was a big uproar when they changed to potatoes-- until everyone tried the potatoes and they are so good. I agree that all things considered, I prefer the potatoes.

But if switching out dishes for healthier options is part of the reasoning behind it, I definitely understand the switch. White potatoes are one of the worst food choices to make, when covered with what I suspect are large amounts of butter and cheese. Noodles, probably not much better but not sure what kind of noodles. I'm imagining a lo mein type dish with lots of veggies and maybe soba noodles or something which would make it lighter.

And back to themes, attention to detail is what makes Disney so special. You wouldn't find spaghetti on the table with turkey and trimmings at the Liberty Tree Tavern, for instance. Delicious as it may be, it just wouldn't fit. There's a theme.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Sherri I totally understand everything you're saying but I guess I'm also tired of getting healthy forced upon me. When I'm on vacation I like to indulge. Well I just talked to my fiance about this whole menu change (he is on the same page as me, every change I told him was met with a "yuck") but he also took the position that it will just force us to try other restaurants!

Quote Originally Posted by Mackflava99 View Post
    Does anyone have recepi for Maui Potatoes- ?
    Ingredients

1 pound Russet potatoes (washed and sliced)

1 cup heavy cream

1/4 cup cheddar cheese

2 tbsp Parmesan cheese

1/4 cup thinly sliced sweet onions

1 tsp kosher salt

1/4 tsp black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a greased baking pan. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees. Let stand five minutes before serving.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

why can't they just leave a good thing alone? Ohana was our favorire place and we loved the potatoes and the peel and eat shrimp! we are planning on going back in september so i will have to watch for more reviews of this new menu.
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the whole meal has a sort of Polynesian theme to it and it used to be rice, not potatoes. Potatoes aren't really the first thing to come to mind with the style of meal. There was a big uproar when they changed to potatoes-- until everyone tried the potatoes and they are so good. I agree that all things considered, I prefer the potatoes.
    I agree, Sherri, but I also understand PirateLover's perspective.

When the menu changed the first time, people on the boards argued the addition of the potatoes was an unusual and unwelcome substitution. It turned out they were delicious.

If the noodles are good, we'll probably forget about the potatoes after a few weeks.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mouseketeer mom View Post
    The potatoes are going???? NOOOOOoooooooo!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    I can't see how I could possibly enjoy any kind of noodle more than the potatoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    Not happy about the potatoes at all! They were so delicious.
    Quote Originally Posted by BethieTink View Post
    The potatoes kill it for us. They are incredible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teay View Post
    Shame the potatoes are on their way out...man, they were incredible.
    Quote Originally Posted by laprana View Post
    What a bummer about the potatoes! I loved them so much when we had them the first time last summer, that I got the recipe and made them at home.
    Quote Originally Posted by poeticeclipse View Post
    Maui Potatoes are gone: *POOF* That's where they've lost me. I LOVE LOVE LOVE these darn potatoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by PetefromRI View Post
    The potato dish was the best we ever had so it will be sad to see them go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerfreak View Post
    . . .the potatoes were what made me say I would try it again. If the potatoes are gone then we won't be trying it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaycee's Mom View Post
    Well we leave in less than 6 weeks so I hope it is really 8 weeks before the potatoes are gone. I LOVE THEM!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by BelleLovesTheBeast View Post
    Why get rid of the potatoes?
    Quote Originally Posted by crltkcagle View Post
    why can't they just leave a good thing alone? Ohana was our favorire place and we loved the potatoes . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ThanxForNoticin View Post
    Well, folks, there's only one way we can convince 'OHana that they need to keep those potatoes - we have to let them know it's not acceptable to replace them! The potatoes really are a highlight of the menu there and it baffles me why they would be replacing them. Speak up and let them know!
    Okay people ThanxForNoticin is right! I certainly hope that someone from Disney is lurking here. Has a potato dish ever been loved so much? I also will hate to see the Maui Potatoes go! I love them. I'm on vacation and I couldn't care less if noodles are better for me. I'm sure the Lapu Lapu isn't that great for me either!!! LOL!!!
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Teay View Post
    What a coincidence! We ate there last night as well and, except for this crazy family that kept complaining about the shrimp, it was really good!

Hat's off to Chef Greg who went above and beyond answering all our questions and also entertaining us for quite some time.

And he FINALLY got that crazy lady to be quiet!
    Ahhhhh... my friend... revenge is sweet. This from the person sleeping in Old Ket West for $30?????
    And yes, Chef Greg did a fine job.... even though some crazy lady was trying to set up my 13 year old DD with him.

Are they pork dumplings? Veggie dumplings? Some combination?
    Yes, pork and veggie.

Quote Originally Posted by lightyearfan View Post
    do you try the dumplings? are they pork?
    will be going to Ohana's twice in June , we made the ADR'S before we knew anything about a menu change, maybe we'll have to make it back for 1 visit?? the shrimp doesn't bother me since im alergic, and i dont mind the sausage being gone either , but the wontons and the potatoes were really good so they'll be missed, i surely hope that they don't take the wings away, because they are awesome.

VIctor
    I do not think the wings will go away. I think everyone should try 'Ohana... you may love the changes.

But if switching out dishes for healthier options is part of the reasoning behind it, I definitely understand the switch. White potatoes are one of the worst food choices to make, when covered with what I suspect are large amounts of butter and cheese. Noodles, probably not much better but not sure what kind of noodles. I'm imagining a lo mein type dish with lots of veggies and maybe soba noodles or something which would make it lighter.
    It looks like Disney is going healthy with everything. We were asked to do a survey at Epcot and the whole thing was about healthy eating in Disney.

I agree that there should be healthy options, but they should be OPTIONS. I hate that the fries have been taken out of the kids meals, parents should be able to choose if their kids get fries or applesauce. My DD would only eat fries and chicken for a while.

Here is the kicker, we went to Pop Century tonight. Teay was looking forward to the Twinkie Tirimisu. It is gone, It has been removed beacuse it contained trans fat.
    Once again I think we should have an option... put up a sign saying the dessert contains trans fat and let us decide. Don't remove it and tell us that we can not have it.

I am eating healthier and have lost a lot of weight. I would probably make the healthy choices now on my own, However, for those that want those foods they should be able to have them.
    ~Angel~
    Proud DVC owners!
    SSR January 2007
    Bay Lake November 2008

Post Thanks / Like

This is fairly good news, I think. I pretty much only eat the turkey at 'Ohana, but the switching out of some of the other stuff that I don't really touch anyway isn't that big a deal. But they need to toss out that banana pudding altogether. That stuff is just completely . I'm glad to see the pineapple and caramel sauce will be back, but it's pretty stupid to have to pay an additional charge for it. It should just be a normal desert option.

Post Thanks / Like

If the noodles are good, we'll probably forget about the potatoes after a few weeks.
    Not us, DH doesn't eat noodles, especially if they will presumably have an Asian sauce on them. We will just take Ohana off our list. This kills me, it really is one of our favorites.

We took a bunch of friends to Ohana the first night of our trip in October and everyone loved it. We asked for seconds and thirds on the potatoes. They were a huge hit.

I could understand a change, if the potatoes were going back to the kitchen untouched by a majority, but I don't think that is happening.

In regard to the healthy eating, I have been a Weight Watchers member for almost 2 years and have managed to lose 70 pounds and get to my goal weight. When I go to WDW, I go to indulge. I don't need Disney telling me what healthy options are. I am all for offering them, but not forcing them on people.
    Bethie aka BethieTink

DVC Member 2006 - BCV

Upcoming - Oct 09 - 1 night at AKL, 7 night Eastern Carribean Cruise on the Magic, 3 nights at BCV

Last Trip - Jan 09 - MLK Weekend at WLV

Post Thanks / Like

Just a note on that recipe. It's really easy! I've made it twice now and everyone really liked them. They don't taste EXACTLY like the ones at 'Ohana. They're pretty close though. Next time I make them I might use a little less heavy cream though. I feel that it was a bit overpowering. I added more cheddar cheese to it though.

Now that I think about it... if the noodles that are replacing our beloved potatoes are anything like the ones that they serve in their vegetarian dish... they're really not bad. In the vegetarian dish they are served with a huge pot of soy sauce (or something like soy sauce). The noodles were bland on their own though.

Question about the dumplings - Do you get both pork and veggie? I don't eat meat so I want to be prepared that we won't have to skip an entire part of the meal.
    -Stacey

"There is a natural hootchy-kootchy motion to a goldfish.”

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome." -Walter Elias Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Here we go again... View Post

Here is the kicker, we went to Pop Century tonight. Teay was looking forward to the Twinkie Tirimisu. It is gone, It has been removed beacuse it contained trans fat.
    Wait wait wait!! It's gone gone? For good? Geez, what are they doing to us?
    -Stacey

"There is a natural hootchy-kootchy motion to a goldfish.”

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome." -Walter Elias Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Question about the dumplings - Do you get both pork and veggie? I don't eat meat so I want to be prepared that we won't have to skip an entire part of the meal.
    I was wondering the same. I eat meat but don't eat pork.

Post Thanks / Like

We ate at 'Ohana Monday night. We were served pork dumplings (they may have had some veggies mixed in, but they weren't veggie dumplings).

We didn't mind most of the menu changes. We preferred the new bread to the fried wontons. My husband liked the shrimp skewers (I don't eat seafood).

I think I'm fine with the upcoming noodle replacement -- I thought that the previously served rice matched the menu better than potatoes, and noodles may do the same. We had good gratin potatoes at Narcoossee's.

My only disappointment was the change in dipping sauce -- the red harissa sauce was replaced by a sweet-and-sour sauce (intended for the shrimp).
    ºOº April ºOº

Next trips: GF Sept. '14, WL Jan. - Feb. '15!
    Previous stays: WL, AKL, Polynesian, POFQ, Newport Bay Club (DLP), DL Hotel, GF, DxL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Here we go again... View Post
    Here is the kicker, we went to Pop Century tonight. Teay was looking forward to the Twinkie Tirimisu. It is gone.......
    Still crying about THAT!
    Carpe Diem!
    **WDW too many times to count since 1971!!**
    *Contemporary*All Star Movies, Music, Sports*Caribbean Beach*Pop Century*Wilderness Lodge*Polynesian*Port Orleans French Quarter*Beach Club*Grand Floridian*Animal Kingdom Lodge*Saratoga Springs*Yacht Club*Old Key West*Swan and Dolphin*

Post Thanks / Like

So long they didn't eliminate the peanut sauce, I can handle virtually any change.

Post Thanks / Like

I see a lot of people saying they will not return to Ohana given the menu change. Ohana is one of my favorites and I would encourage everyone to give the new menu a try before you write them off. As for me, I'm not too concerned about the menu changes. I don't like sausage or shrimp. The won tons and potatoes were good, but I'm all for trying new things. So far it doesn't sound like the new foods are terrible just different. You never know until you give it a try.

I like that Disney is trying to be more healthy and I think there are still plenty of opportunities to splurge on unhealthy choices. However, I can see how some people would be annoyed about Disney taking the choice out of it.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: