Quantcast 'Ohana new menu - a dining review

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 'Ohana new menu - a dining review

Well, we just got back from 'Ohana and ate off the new menu.

Since it just started yesterday, it was insane... the kitchen was crazy busy. They did not have the right dishes so everything came out on huge platters. We spoke to the chef about our thoughts and he filled us in on a few things.

First, they are now serving a coconut bread. This bread will go away soon and be replaced by the pineapple bread they serve at breakfast. According to the chef, it will be as soon as they figure out how much they will have to make so they do not run out.

The veggies are changed, now broccoli and green beans. Better taste.
    Wontons are gone and steamed dumplings have replaced them. yuck. The chef said that he wants to fry them but he is getting resistance from Disney. This is all part of their Getting Healty plan.

Potatoes are still there for now, they will be gone in 8 weeks. They will be replaced by noodles. No one could tell me how those will be cooked.

The sausage is gone. The meats are:
    BBQ Pork
    Turkey
    Beef
    Shrimp

The shrimp was VERY spicy. I love seasoned food, but this was crazy. There was an after burn with this shrimp.... the next batch was much better after we said something about the seasoning. They did not brush as much on and it was better.

Pineapple and caramel is coming back... for a price. It will now be served as an appetizer at the bar for about $7. You can get it at your table for that price too.
    We got it free from the chef. He was very nice and said that a lot of the customers had the same concerns that we did.

Overall, the food was still good. Love the salad, chicken wings and skewers. Would like less seasoning on the shrimp and would like the see the wontons fried again.
    We will eat there again, but it will not be on the "must do" list.

I would love to hear what others think as you visit 'Ohana over the next couple of weeks.
    ~Angel~
    Proud DVC owners!
    SSR January 2007
    Bay Lake November 2008

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow. I am so disappointed. I guess its safe to say I won't be eating there anytime soon then. I loved the old vegetables- I can't stand broccoli and it doesn't sit well with my stomach. The wontons were just OK for me but I hate dumplings. And the potatoes are one of my favorite dishes in WDW. I can't see how I could possibly enjoy any kind of noodle more than the potatoes. The sausage was also one of my favorite skewers. I don't eat shrimp. Basically every change in this menu is for the worst according to my very picky palette. Oh well.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the dumplings would be a better addition to the menu than the wontons. Weren't there originally dumplings before the wontons? So that's a reversion back to what people preferred, and I do like steamed.

Same with the removal of sausage and return to shrimp- this is no doubt responding to what people have requested. So many of us were upset with the shrimp being taken off and served as peel-and-eat instead. And the veggies seem like an improvement, too. I do hate to lose the potatoes, delicious dish, but the noodles fit the menu better. All in all, I think you would find more people in favor of the menu changes than against. Sounds like a good move to me.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I won't miss the sausage. I never really liked it. I like the shrimp replacement.

The veggie change is okay with me. I love broccoli and green beans, but I also loved the other medley, so I'm good either way.

The dumplings sound good, even though we loved the wontons. Only problem was all I could envision was the amount of fat being consumed in all those fried wontons. I know, I know...there's plenty of fatty food that I consume in WDW, but I like steamed dumplings, so every little bit helps.

Not happy about the potatoes at all! They were so delicious. Not sure about a noodle dish...sounds like they want to cheap out a little.

I'll miss the peel-n-eat shrimp....they were awesome. BUT....at least we have them on skewers now. And I love spicy, so bring it on! I'm also glad they're keeping all of the other meats...they always cook them perfectly, and they are so juicy and delicious!

And, $7 for pineapple with caramel on it? No thanks...I'll stick with the bread pudding.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

The potatoes are going???? NOOOOOoooooooo!!!!!!!!!
    Those might possibly be the best food on Disney property.
    I just announced the potato situation to my family as they are getting ready for school and work and suddenly everybody was wide awake!!! They are aghast that the potatoes are going!!!
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this is disappointing. I will have a hard time convincing DH to go back to one of his favorites.

We can both live with the sausage change. I never liked it and DH doesn't eat it. The dumplings sound good to me, but he will miss the wontons. He doesn't eat veggies, so that is no big deal to him. Is to me. I loved the medley that they served. Seemed to me like the veggies in a stir fry.

The potatoes kill it for us. They are incredible. I guess I would try the noodles, but he won't. He doesn't like anything like that. This is sad. With the menu changes, the most he would eat would be the beef and turkey skewers and the chicken wings. Taking the potatoes away takes Ohana away. Wow, I am really bummed now.

Maybe by the time we plan to go back to Ohana, the potatoes will be back. I can only hope.
    Bethie aka BethieTink

DVC Member 2006 - BCV

Upcoming - Oct 09 - 1 night at AKL, 7 night Eastern Carribean Cruise on the Magic, 3 nights at BCV

Last Trip - Jan 09 - MLK Weekend at WLV

Post Thanks / Like

What a coincidence! We ate there last night as well and, except for this crazy family that kept complaining about the shrimp, it was really good!

After hearing the rest of my table go on and on about the shrimp, I finally gave them a try. Normally, I let the 'peel and eat' shrimp pass me by since it's just so messy and there's other things so good to eat. At first bite, the shrimp just seemed to have a blackened grill taste. About 20 seconds later though there was a seriously warm afterburner that kicked in....just the way I like it! But I know I am out of the norm, since I truly love spicy food. It was a bit of a shock to get such incredibly spicy-hot food at a mainstream Disney restaurant. Chef Greg went out of his way to send us some very lightly seasoned shrimp but for our very sensitive teen we had with us, it was still too much.

Shame the potatoes are on their way out...man, they were incredible.

Hat's off to Chef Greg who went above and beyond answering all our questions and also entertaining us for quite some time.

And he FINALLY got that crazy lady to be quiet!
    Carpe Diem!
    **WDW too many times to count since 1971!!**
    *Contemporary*All Star Movies, Music, Sports*Caribbean Beach*Pop Century*Wilderness Lodge*Polynesian*Port Orleans French Quarter*Beach Club*Grand Floridian*Animal Kingdom Lodge*Saratoga Springs*Yacht Club*Old Key West*Swan and Dolphin*

Post Thanks / Like

I went there last year for the first time and thought it was great ...I am a meat eater at heart but thought there sausages were awful so am glad to see the back of them ..

Post Thanks / Like

Huh. I didn't like the previous vegetable medley so that change is a welcome one. I love brocolli. Pineapple bread, yes, that stuff is amazing. DH really liked the fried wontons but I love steamed dumplings, and he likes them too, so I think that's okay. Do they still serve the bread pudding? That stuff is fantastic. The peel and eat shrimp was my favorite part of the meal so if that's not there I'll be so sad. I get the impression it's gone with the addition of the skewered shrimp. All in all we'll definately still return, but I'm sure it won't be the same... Oh, and the potatoes, they were so good! I hope the sauce on the noodles is good enough to replace them.

It's just after 8 in the morning, I don't have a trip planned, and I'm worrying over the state of a restaurant 900 miles away. Ah, the life of a Disney daydreamer.... Can't wait to go back!!!
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Are they pork dumplings? Veggie dumplings? Some combination?
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Teay View Post
    What a coincidence! We ate there last night as well and, except for this crazy family that kept complaining about the shrimp, it was really good!

And he FINALLY got that crazy lady to be quiet!
    First off I don't believe you that she got QUIET...........

Angel did call me last night to tell me about the changes since we had talked about them before she went.......
    I am not to sure about these changes.... I don't like a few of the things that have changes and this is just after putting Ohanas on my top 2 list of places to eat.........

It looks like I wont be doing it on my next trip after we have done it every trip..... I will wait and see what happens......

BRET/TTFN
    DVC Member 7/04 Wilderness Lodge Villas 6-08 Saratoga Springs
    Next Trip 6-16
    Disney Cruise 6-16
    Disney World tons of times

Post Thanks / Like

What a bummer about the potatoes! I loved them so much when we had them the first time last summer, that I got the recipe and made them at home. (Not quite the same as eating them at 'Ohana, though!) I wasn't a huge fan of the wontons, but I've never had a dumpling in my life. What are they exactly? Glad to see the sausage gone and my Dbf will be really happy with the shrimp skewers. I'll be happy as long as they still have the turkey and the bread pudding!! We have ADRs at 'Ohana for our May/June trip, so hopefully we won't be disappointed with the changes!
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!
    Next Up: Nov 2017 - SSR!
    DVC Member & AP holder since 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, overall i'm bummed. I guess i'll address each change individually.

Pineapple Bread: Sounds great! I've never had it before. I'm sure it will be quite filling though.

New Veggies: Score! The other ones were good but I loved the old green beans so i'm pretty excited to see them coming back even if its not exactly the same.

Wontons replaced by Dumplings: I didn't really like the wontons all that much. I only liked one of the dipping sauces. I love dumplings so i'm pretty excited to try these.

*I don't sound too disappointed at this point do I?*

Maui Potatoes are gone: *POOF* That's where they've lost me. I LOVE LOVE LOVE these darn potatoes. I even made them for Thanksgiving! If I wanted noodles i'd go to China. Grrrr....

Shrimp: SHRIMP! Yes!! DH and I don't eat red meat or foul. Just seafood. Boy am I excited to get my skewered shrimp back.

Pineapple at a price: Are you kidding me? Seven bucks for a little fruit and caramel? I've been begging them to bring it back. I guess I got what I wanted... at a very high price.

Overall, what a bummer. I'm getting some of the things that I wanted but losing the potatoes just doesnt balance it out. I honestly think that DH won't want to revist 'Ohana if his potatoes aren't there.
    -Stacey

"There is a natural hootchy-kootchy motion to a goldfish.”

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome." -Walter Elias Disney

Post Thanks / Like

We were there about a week ago and they were in the middle of changing.The veggies were good(broccoli and beans).No wontons or dumplings but we prefer steamed dumplings anyhow.The potato dish was the best we ever had so it will be sad to see them go.As long as they don't can the bread pudding we'll be happy.The peel and eat shrimp were awesome so it will be a bummer to see them go but the skewered shrimp were still the best,spicy and tasty.We'll be back every time.
    Poly10/75
    FWCabins3/93Poly11/01
    CBR4/05PORand BC2/06Pop11/06
    MarriottGrandeVista5/07
    CBR9/07
    Pop1/08
    POFQ5/08
    CS 9/08
    POFQ 5/09
    CBR9/09
    HRH11/09
    POFQ/POLY5/10
    WL12/10
    Allstar Music1/11
    POFQ 5/11
    OKW 3/31/12
    SSR 9/13
    CBR 9/14
    POR9/16
    CB Univ

Avatar in remembrance of my Dear Old Dad "Big Al"

Post Thanks / Like

Odd that everyone raved about the potatoes being the best thing there, and now they're soon to be gone. Oh well...

Can't say that I'm all that excited about the other changes. I don't care for broccoli or steamed dumplings at all. I guess it doesn't matter to me much since we decided to try other restaurants after our last trip anyway...
    Mike

Trips: 1983,1986,1988,1991 - Off-site
    Jan 2001 - WL
    Nov 2004 - WL

Sep 2005 - AKL
    Sep 2007 - Poly
    May 2009 - CBR
    May 2010 - Poly
    Oct 2010 - Pop
    May 2012 - BC
    Next trip May 2014 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

We went here for the first time on our last trip and we thought it was ok but not great. The meats were all really dry. We loved the sticky wings they had and the potatoes were what made me say I would try it again. If the potatoes are gone then we won't be trying it again.
    Tinkerfreak
    oct./nov. 2002-AKL
    oct./nov. 2003-WL
    nov. 2004-AKL
    oct./nov. 2005-AKL
    Dec. 2006 BC
    April 2007 AKL
    oct./nov. 2007 AKL/Poly
    oct./nov. 2008 POFQ/AKL
    Nov. 2009 CBR
    May 2010 BW

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Well, folks, there's only one way we can convince 'OHana that they need to keep those potatoes - we have to let them know it's not acceptable to replace them! The potatoes really are a highlight of the menu there and it baffles me why they would be replacing them. Speak up and let them know!

Post Thanks / Like

The potatoes are delicious but never fitted the theme of the menu. I understand why the chef would prefer noodles, which are more consistent with the rest of the meal.

But, like the above poster said, tell the restaurant how much you like those scalloped potatoes. That's the only way 'Ohana will consider keeping them on the menu.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Gee, everyone is raving about these Ohana potatoes that I didn't get to try because we went to brekkie instead -- can someone post the recipe somewhere? Please?!?
    FIRST EVER WDW visit Jan 2008 at ASMovies

Post Thanks / Like

Well we leave in less than 6 weeks so I hope it is really 8 weeks before the potatoes are gone. I LOVE THEM!!!!!!
    Nov. 1999 - One day trip to MK
    Aug. 2005 - All Star Movies (4 days)
    Mar. 2006 - Pop Century (5 days)
    Mar. 2007 - Pop Century (8 days)
    Mar. 2008 - Pop Century (8 days)
    June 2009 - Pop Century (8 days)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: