Quantcast Little pet peeve about the buses! - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think anyone would deny a little assistance to those that truly need it.
    But, when you see someone jump out of their ECV and hop the chains in the queue to get to the front of the line to "save" a place for the rest of their group or hear a family discuss getting an ECV so they can take turns riding it, it does make you cast a somewhat skeptical eye at people that don't appear to need it. Is it fair? Probably not; but it is human nature.
    It's just another example of how people trying to scam the system make it bad for those with a legitimate need.

As far as 14 people having to accompany the person in the wheelchair...c'mon give me a break. Do all 14 REALLY need to go with? Sorry, even if it's a family reunion I think they have to show a little consideration for others.
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjm12000 View Post
    I do not consider people who eat themselves half to death and weigh hundreds of pounds to have a medical condition beyond their control. Maybe that sounds mean but after two weeks of having to constantly move out of th eway, give up seats, and be run over in crowds my patience and understanding for many of these people has all but run out. Now before you all go jumping on me for being mean to the plus size people out there I should let you know that my own family is anything but petite but you know what we all freaking walk. Maybe if some of these folks would walk once in a while they would not need the chairs in the first place.
    Stop and think for a minute that maybe these "plus size" people are that way because they are unable to walk or exercise.
    Or, maybe they have an illness that makes them obese.

Or, maybe they eat too much out of depression from the pain.... or the fact that they are dying.
    You do not know what caused their problem. I hope you never have to find out the hard way.
    Every one here should walk a mile in the shoes of person in a wheelchair (or try to) before being so judgemental.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems those that have a negative comment/opinion of others using a wheelchair or ECV may be looking for something to complain about, maybe its being tired, cranky from heat or walking. We all know that people try and cheat the system all the time, but don't sweat the small stuff. If your conscience is clean that is all that matters. Yes, I have been in a line before where a women was trying to back her ECV up onto the bus. Literally, took 25 minutes and she still could not get it on, the bus driver would not help, thats another issue though. Everyone knows how long those lines can get after the park closes! She could not get her ECV to steer right. People were heckling and calling her names and yelling at the bus driver! She was a large women and there were a few yelling at her because of her size. No one truly knew why this women was in a ECV. My son was with us and was trying to understand why this women was being attacked. It was very sad. She started yelling back and the bus driver had to call for someone to come and calm the crowd. IT got that bad. What has this world come to. If you are standing in line busy yourself with your family, talking, looking at your camera you took pictures on. Be a good role model. Usually once one person is heard complaining, the crowd starts.
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
    Disney Transport drivers are specifically NOT permitted to do that, even if the wheelchair user requests it. It has to be unfolded and tied down in the specified place on the bus. I know this from reading the posts, over the years, of several Disney Transport drivers on another board. There are very specific rules they must follow, and they don't want to lose their jobs.

So if you walked or rode your chair through the normal line and waited until it was your turn, you'd need to wait for the next bus because the driver isn't permitted to load and tie down a chair or ECV while there are ANY other passengers on the bus. So not only does the person have to deal with a physical disability, they'd ALSO have to deal with waiting even longer for a bus than you or I would.

So when faced with the decision, what would you decide ... let a person with a disability go first, or make them go last???
    That's strange DW broke her foot a couple of years back, and for most trips on the bus we folded the wheel chair we got for her and she boarded using her crutches. We did this so that we did not cut in front of people who had been waiting longer than us, and also so that more people could get on the bus, when you fold the seats you lose 3 spots.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that there are people with a disability that can't be seen. However, I think it is naive to believe that all people who are using wheelchairs at WDW (from which they get special treatment) are actually disabled. It just makes all w/c or ECV users look bad, which isn't fair to them.

Also, I do agree that allowing yourself to become morbidly obese is not an actual disability. And yes, there are some people who have medical conditions that cause them to become obese, but those people are very few. Most obese people have a problem of their own making concerning their choice not to eat healthily and exercise. The Mayo Clinic says it is uncommon for a medical condition to lead to obesity and it is unlikely for obesity to be caused by a low metabolic rate. I remember reading an article in a women's health magazine that said about 1% of cases of obesity are caused by factors beyond the person's control.

Sorry if I seem about this, but I am a college student with a medical condition that will not be fixed by me getting off the couch, and I struggle to find health insurance because health care costs are skyrocketing in part to the extreme costs of obesity, inactivity, and an unhealthy diet (among other things). I personally think people who choose to allow themselves to become such a strain on the healthcare system should have higher premiums (this includes people like smokers). Sorry that this is kind of off topic...off my soapbox now!
    Last edited by Melanie; 01-26-2008 at 09:32 PM. Reason: language

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you Cleverocks

I just wanted to thank Cleverock for the wonderful way you helped explain about the use of wheelchairs at the parks.
    I am one of those people that can not walk far because of my health and if it wasn't for the use of the chair I would never be able to enjoy something as wonderful as WDW.
    It's hard because when you do stand up people look at you so mean like I'm trying to just butt in front of them, I don't I just want to enjoy the same thing they are I just can stand for more than a few minutes without my legs and back giving out.
    Anyway thank you for making me feel like it's ok to want to be there too.
    Jean
    Remember it all started with a Mouse

Summer 1972
    Pop May 2006
    Pop June 2009

Post Thanks / Like

The point is you don't what someone ailments are unless you are in their place. If they are lying then thats on them not for us to judge. I think this post is on a dangerous path to hurting peoples feelings and it will probably be shut down soon.
    Cassi
    1987 on site and Disney cruise
    1995 off site
    January 2006 Pop
    Feb. 2008 Bonnet Creek
    Sept.28- Oct.4 2008 Bonnet Creek F&W Festival
    January 2009 Bonnet Creek
    Sept 28 - Oct. 4 2009 Bonnet Creek F&W Festival
    Jan. 9-Jan. 14 2011 POFQ
    Coming Soon! Feb. 12-19 2012 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by linedropper View Post
    Moderator Close this subject
    Closing this since it has gotten out of hand, and the original poster has requested that it be closed.
    Rhonda

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: