Quantcast Do you remember going to WDW and it was empty? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

My first trip back in '91 was very deserted. It was awesome...walked onto every ride and was able to walk right up to all the characters. No mob or anything. And on another trip, there was a tropical storm coming through so that got rid of a lot of people. I actually don't mind the rain..keeps things cool and the crowds away.
    Aubree

Disney Trips:

01/10 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    02/05 - Port Orleans - Riverside
    03/01- Polynesian
    11/97 - Polynesian
    11/91 - Off-site

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The 2nd or 3rd week of September 1996 it was relatively. It was the year before our DS started school. It was great. We were able to walk on just about anything we wanted.

Jacksboro, Texas (Northwest of Dallas Fort Worth)
    Post Thanks / Like

That has happend with us a few times..far less as time goes on...most recent was Dec 15-16 2004..not sure why..but i remember the dates well...we walked right on every ride in all the parks...walked in most of our dining and hardly no wait..wow...of course by the 17 on it was wall to wall...
    First trip 1981

Married at Disney's wedding pavillion 12-22-04
    DVC owners @ SSR Dec 2005
    OKW-DEC-2004-Wedding
    VERO BEACH-DEC-2004-(honeymoon)
    ASM-DEC-2005
    SSR-OCT-2006
    SSR-DEC-2007
    AKV owners Jul 08
    SSR Dec 08
    SSR June 09
    New Baby Boy arrived Aug 3 2009 !! (our first)

Post Thanks / Like

Never!!

We seem to go when it is PACKED!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MMouse6937 View Post
    We were there the week after 9/11. Could have fired a cannon down main street and not hit anyone. It actually was a little strange, but we were able to see everything and do everything with no wait/crowds. Not a good reason though, would have rathered it wasn't that way really.
    You should have been there the day after.Alot of people just packed up and drove home and a lot had to rent cars since all the airports were shut down.
    VMK: RoyalRoseBlue

10 trips before 2000
    2000 - All Star Sports (Senior Trip)
    2001 - CP CM @ CBR

Post Thanks / Like

It sure doesn't happen very often anymore.

I can remember going to then MGM Studios a couple of years ago when they opened and walked back to the city streets and they were very, very quiet for a short time.

The other time I remember not too long ago was a day that had some intense thunderstorms that went on for quite some time. We had late (8:00ish) dinner reservations in Epcot and were considering not going, but around 7:30, the rain finally let up. We went over to San Angel and went in early to our reservation...they were happy to seat us because they had close to 50% no shows due to the weather. Once we were done, Illuminations was going to start and it was strange because there were no crowds at all...you could pretty much pick your spot. The other thing I remember about that night is that it didn't take long to leave Epcot, which is unusual and it was difficult to navigate to and from the left side of the World SHowcase (Mexico) because of the flooding from the storms. Luckily it was warm, so we didn't mind taking our shoes off!

Post Thanks / Like

We have been there when it has been not busy , but then we have been when it is really busy. We have learned to make the most of it. We love to go in October because the crowds have not been bad at the parks. Well this has all changed. We just know that now when we go the crowds will be there no matter what. This gives us a chance not to get over stresses since the knowledge helps you cope. WIth more people comes more uptight and unfitting behavior. We have just keep telling ourselves This is the happiest place on earth and we are on vacation.

Post Thanks / Like

Default five weeks after 9-11!

We were at WDW four or five weeks after 9-11.

All the parks (not just Disney) were almost empty.
    We walked around the Animal Kingdom animal exhibits and saw no one except staff. That was very eerie!
    We were able to get bookings at any restaurant, any time we wanted.
    At no time did we queue for a ride.
    Pleasure Island was deserted for most of the week.

While at MK I took the greatest video (I’ve every taken) of SpectroMagic.
    We were standing at Frontier land and I had no one standing next to me. I mean there was no one within 30 feet of me!
    It was the most bizarre thing.
    To think in the past I had waited for an hour and a half to get a “front row” spot on occasions and also watched the parade in a crowd four or five deep.

Even though it was a nice experience for us, because of the reason it being so empty, I hope I will never see WDW that empty again.
    Kevin AKA Womble
    Disneyland Ca. 91-92 / Offsite 93-96-97-98-02-03-07 /
    Caribbean Beach 94-95-98 / All-star 99-01 / PO French Quater 00 / Coronado Springs 04 / PO Riverside 05-06

Post Thanks / Like

Two weeks before Christmas in '93. Nobody at Epcot, walked onto everything. Maybe waited 10 minutes for Dumbo at MK. Everything was decorated for Xmas... Ahh, the good old days.

I remember asking a CM if there was something wrong and they said it was always this slow at that time of the year. Little kids are all in school, college kids are going home for the holidays, and international travel is at a low before the holiday, etc. It was great.
    Steve "I'm Grumpy because you're Dopey"
    90Treehouse, 93Clubhouse Villa(DD2), 96Hotel Plaza(DD5&2), 99CR, 01OKW(expecting DS), 03POR (luv the trundle), 04AKL, 06ASMo(DW40, DD2), 07DLRP/PC, 08Y&BC/PC/DLRP, 09ASMusic/Cruise, 10ASSp/Pop, 11POR/Cruise, 12DLR, 13PC/Cruise, 14ASMu, 15CRx2, 16CR&ASMo(DW50)

Post Thanks / Like

It used to be that way for my family when we went between Thanskgiving and the first week of December. (Before it was "discovered.") NOBODY was there. I remember going on Space Mountain at least 7 times in a row on one day - I'd get off, run up the escalator and back into the ride and be on in less than 5 minutes.

And ADRs? My father was called a control freak for making them because you could commonly walk up to Le Cellier for dinner and be seated in 15 minutes. On a Saturday.
    Next trip DLR in February 2014

Post Thanks / Like

The trip we made in January 1999. We went on Tower of Terror 13 times in a row....with NO lines. It was a really fun experience. Also during the same trip we took advantage of extra magic hours at MK and that was fantastic. The cast member, when asked, said there were about 4,000 people in the park that night. We had it to ourselves.

It was a bit cold, but we came prepared. We enjoyed the trip very much and still talk about the lack of crowds at the parks during that trip!

18 Previous Visits

Most Recent December 2011 (POP)
    May 2012 (Disney Fantasy !)
    Sept 2012 POP Mom/Daughter Trip

Sept 2013 40th Anniversary Adventures Disney Ireland

2014 Check out MK Makeover!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSmee View Post
    You were there right after 9/11 when attendance and travel was at an all time low, so yes there was no one there. It has steadily increased each year since and this year is going to be a record high attendance. I still enjoy going and find that off peak times are still the most enjoyable.
    No, we were there in October 1991 not 2001.
    10/91-Honeymoon YC Concierge
    6/92, 5/93, 9/95, 9/99-YC
    9/00-BWI,YC
    6/01-AKL,YC
    9/02-BCV,YC
    5/03-BCV
    8/03-WLV,BWV
    1/04-HH,BWV,OKW
    6/04, 5/05-BWV
    8/05, 11/07-SSR
    2/09-BCV
    11/09-BCV
    5/11-AKL
    4/12-OKW

Post Thanks / Like

We were there the week after 9/11 as well. There was only one or two times that we even had anyone on our bus with us going to the parks. It was the first time that I had been when I was able to ride all rides more than once. Often when we went on the rides there was no one there except for the CM's. That was a slow time of the year any way and 9/11 made it even slower. It was a very sad time, but I am glad we were able to go.
    Justin ├o┤﴾o﴿├o┤

Apr 83 - Offsite
    Aug 83 - FW
    Aug 85 - FW
    Aug 87 - FW
    Sep 01 - All Star(Honeymoon)
    Jun 05 - FW
    Dec 07 - FW
    Mar 08 - FW
    Aug 08 - Disneyland (Offsite)
    Dec 09 - FW
    Feb 10 - Offsite-Business Trip
    Sep 10 - All Star
    Next Trip?

Post Thanks / Like

January of 2005. We just arrived for the disney college program, and it was empty! It was so much fun! However...it wasn't like that in January of 2007..wasn't super crowded, but not empty like before! hehe
    College Program Spring 05
    6/92-Tree House Villas
    5/98-Poly
    5/01-ASM
    1/05-Pop
    3/05-OKW
    5/05-SS
    5/06-ASMus
    1/07- Honeymoon at the Boardwalk!
    6/07- OKW
    11/07-Babymoon Pop/Poly
    12/08-Christmas at the Poly! DS 1st Christmas and Disney Trip!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: