Quantcast HELP!!! Am I being completely unreasonable? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: What is your advice?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Let DH and family watch the game at ESPN Zone - Cancel Les Chefs De France

30 29.13%
  • Let DH and family watch the first part of the game and then go to France for dinner

15 14.56%
  • Try to change the dinner reservation to lunch and let DH watch the game

41 39.81%
  • No game watching! You're in DISNEY!

17 16.50%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Some of the highlights of our trip last October was watching the LSU game @ ESPN on the boardwalk. One thing that made me miserable was the fact that LSU was headed for overtime and we had plans with the Intercot group and I couldn't break away from the TV to meet my friends I did and we didn't see the end of the game and we lost but it was so much fun there. BUT my baby is 22 so we all sat at the bar.
    Point is it's not a good idea to have ressies backed up anticipating an early decision. Our game lasted nearly 4 1/2 hours.
    Also, it was great fun there but not for a 14month old. If he is happy with you splitting I would not sit in ESPN w/ little ones. Way too much screaming. Split the party into gamers and parkers and everyone enjoy their merry time.
    I wouldn't want to miss a game for Le Chefs even in the regular season. If you can do lunch great but definitely let him watch the game. I think you will be glad you did. But put in the stipulation that he can't be Mr. Grumpy Gills if they lose.
    I do think that you and the others non sportfans should do something special-- Have you ever gone to the tea at GF? You are such a trooper for leaving this open to debate. Have a wonderful time and though I won't be watching the game. WE spent last Sunday watching Fox when they re-aired the Nat'l Championship Game (GEAUX TIGERS) I'll be thinking about you!
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I may be the dissenting voice....and I am a huge football fan, so don't get me wrong. But this whole thing is about priorities, and for me, it's family first. People get WAY TOO wrapped up with sporting events....and this is coming from someone who lives in Columbus, Ohio. The whole world is supposed to stop when it comes to Ohio State football. I mean honestly, playoffs or note...IT'S JUST A GAME. To me, spending time with family is what matters. You've made a huge investment, both in time and finances, to take this trip. Personally, I'd be very upset if my husband chose watching a football game over spending time with family. How many family vacations do you get each year? Five years from now, what's going to matter...a football game that everyone has forgotten about, or time with your family?

Now, with all that said...IF the whole family agrees that they want to watch the game, and they would rather do that than spending time in the parks, then watch the game. However, if this is dividing the family...that's a problem. Either the sports fans need to make a sacrifice for their family and stick with the original plans, or (if they refuse), then keep your original plans and take as much of the group as wants to go and do your original dinner.

And again, remember...it's just a game, and that should help keep things in perspective. I love football too...just not more than my family.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now. Good luck with the whole situation, and I hope it doesn't goof up your vacation.

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry more aren't taking your side here, but I have to agree with the majority - DH should watch the game. I know you've put a ton of time and effort into your planning, but if the schedule can't be flexible, especially for a big game like this, then no one will have fun. I remember leaving Mike at the bar at the WL to watch a Giants game on our first trip - it's what he wanted to do, and that was fine with me. Conor and I did our thing and he did his. Mike is a die-hard sports fan and it's his one big passion, aside from his family. I couldn't take that away from him, even on vacation - well, especially on vacation when it's his time to relax too. Marriage is about compromise and sacrifice - Mike has his sports, I have my hobbies and neither one gives the other grief over it because it makes us happy - and that's a good thing! The restaurant will always be there, a game like this won't.

While I like sports and follow some teams, some Sports fans are a special breed! My family still hasn't forgiven me for getting married during the last quarter of a Dallas/Giants game 10 years ago - like I had any way of knowing 18 months prior when I booked it that it would be Dallas/Giants game! (not to mention the Yankees were in a playoff game that night! There was more than 1 miniature TV at my reception!! )
    Jen aka conorsmom2000

1977 - Fort Wilderness
    1995, 2005, 2006 - Wilderness Lodge
    2017 - Coronado Springs
    2024 - Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

im with you...who cares about some dumb ol game..your in disney on vacation to have a good time..not to get there and the next day go sit in a bar to watch a stupid game!!
    your there as a family to have fun in disney with everyone!!! tell him tape it if he MUST see it that badly and watch it when you guys get home from disney...some stupid game shouldnt get in the way of fun family time..espically in disney world!!!!!
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like both sides are going to have people to visit with. I went for change the reservations to lunch then let everybody who wants to watch the game while you and the kids and anybody else goes wandering yonder to find something else to amuse you. There's soooo much stuff to do. Ya'll don't have to FLOCK together all the time.

I think many groups get together and spend half the trip trying to please somebody else and in the end everybody's miserable because nobody got to do what THEY really found "enjoyable" because they didn't want to "seperate". Splitting up for a few hours when you're in a group is OK.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thrillme View Post
    I think many groups get together and spend half the trip trying to please somebody else and in the end everybody's miserable because nobody got to do what THEY really found "enjoyable" because they didn't want to "seperate". Splitting up for a few hours when you're in a group is OK.
    I can attest to this firsthand! In Dec 2006, most of my group absolutely refused to split up even when they didn't want to all do the same things and it was a miserable trip. Even when we did split up, someone was constantly complaining about where so-and-so was since they weren't with the group. I can honestly say that I never want to take a vacation to WDW with extended family again because of this trip. We really needed to split up more and everyone would have been happier - sometimes it's a good thing.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

I made the mistake of scheduling our time at WDW during Superbowl Sunday. I am the biggest Packers fan there ever was (mostly because of Favre), but it never would have occurred to me when I planned this trip ages ago that I'd be hunting down the nearest tv. My hubby, son and I are camping, so we'll be trying out the Wilderness Lodge. Of course, we still have to beat the Giants, but I don't think that'll be a problem!

If you and the kids don't want to sit and watch the game, just let him go and enjoy yourselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kakn7294 View Post
    I can attest to this firsthand! In Dec 2006, most of my group absolutely refused to split up even when they didn't want to all do the same things and it was a miserable trip. Even when we did split up, someone was constantly complaining about where so-and-so was since they weren't with the group. I can honestly say that I never want to take a vacation to WDW with extended family again because of this trip. We really needed to split up more and everyone would have been happier - sometimes it's a good thing.

Been there, done that, hope we never do it again. We've gone with extended family twice. Splitting up is imperative to a great vacation for all. We had family that practically refused to split up & it really was hard on all of us. You can never make everyone happy at the same time.

I am the planner, I understand that you have put so much time & effort into planning a wonderful trip. But this is just a few hours out of your schedule. I am not a sports fan, but DH is. I would definitely let him see the game - but without making it seem that it is at a huge sacrifice to everyone else. He won't enjoy as much if he's on the guilt trip! It should be now up to you if you want to try & change your adr's or keep them. If you opt not to keep them, or can't change them, the ESPN Zone is a lot of fun. But when we ate there on our last trip they did not take adr's! And from previous posts it may be really crazy there! I was going to suggest eating there all together, then anyone not wanting to watch the game could check out all the things to see on the Boardwalk. It's a cool place to wander & shop! Then you could go on with your evening, to the resort or whatever you wanted to do. DH may not care if it's a zoo, he may really have his heart set on watching the game there. If you don't want to take your young kids - that is perfectly understandable & maybe you could give DH this gift of just being able to watch the game, and it sounds like he'd probably enjoy the rest of your trip alot more if he does get to see it.

Only you know what's best for your family, but there are alot of great suggestions here to think about. I hope you have a mgaical trip!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

Let him watch, life is to short. The others can do what they want.

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

I voted to let him watch the game. It's a big game! Last trip DH and his Dad wanted to watch a Giants game. It was October and I thought it was a little silly to miss time at WDW to see a game early on in the season. FIL and MIL stayed back at their room at WL that day and DH and I took our kids to Epcot. We got a little wrapped up in what we were doing and left Epcot a little later then he wanted and then took a long journey back to WL. For some reason we took the monorail to TTC, the boat to MK and the boat from MK to WL. All the while DH was calling FIL to see what the score was! He really only ended up seeing half of the game. It worked out really well because MIL and I took the kids in the pool and to relax while they watched the game. Then we went back to Epcot for dinner and illumunations well rested and everyone was happy!
    Melissa

4/87 offsite, 3/05 AKL, 10/06 WL, 3/08 GF, 1/09 WL, 3/09 Poly, 10/09 SSR, 1/10 AKV, 10/10 BLT, 12/10 AKV, 2/11 Poly, 5/11 BCV, 10/11 BLT, 12/11 WL, 5/12 1st Cruise on the Dream & BWV, 10/12 BLT!

"...That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Every one of our WDW trips has been carefully planned, and none of the plans have been followed! Life is the accident that happens while you are planning your future!

I make the plans for all of our trips. I yell "Follow me!" and charge the parks. If I turn around, and there's no one there, I do my own thing until I stumble into a familiar face.

Ever wonder why "happens" and "happiness" start the same way? Maybe it's because "happiness" is the result of what "happens". Who every heard of "planiness"?

Be flexible enough to let everyone enjoy themselves while you are enjoying each other. If you are confortable with everyone going to the Zone, do it. If you don't want to go, walk up to EPCOT and enjoy Chef's, and browse the shops of France and England while they suffer through the defeat to the Pats! Then, meet for Illuminations.
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't personally have an interest in watching the game, then I say you should go to dinner. Let your husband meet you there when he is done with the game. You shouldn't miss out on something you want to do because of what he wants to do. Compromise can mean each of you doing your own thing that night.

And if his family decides that watching the game is more important than going to dinner, then that is their choice and you shouldn't feel guilty.
    Adults are only kids grown up...

March 2013 - Beach Club
    October 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    September 2009 - Contemporary
    February 2009 - Yacht Club
    April 2008 - Contemporary/Grand Floridian
    October 2007 - DLR - GC -Honeymoon trip!
    March 2007 - Poly
    February 2006 - DLR - Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

I voted No Watching, You're at Disney. Yes it's a football game but Disney is a family thing. Football is more common than Disney (at least to my family. We only get to go every few years.) Besides, that Patriots will win and he'll be disapointed. I'd look it up on the internet the next morning. That's a better way to break the news.
    A dream is a wish your heart makes!

Aug-Sept, 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside
    April, 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside
    October, 1997 - Dixie Landings
    February, 1995 - Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

Let him watch the game. You do what you had planned. You said that some of his family wanted to watch the game. Take the rest of them to your original dinner plans and have a good time. Some of the best times I've had were when plans went awry.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to be in the minority here, and go with no game....

I can't help but think that if the Chargers lose, he'll be in one heck of a mood, especially after giving up hours of Disney family time on the first day to sit in the bar to watch the game. Don't know how much fun that will be. Just checking out the score in the evening (especially if they lose), could take out some of the sting.....

They do make these new fangled doohickies....think they're called DVR's....they can record the game while you're gone. I know, sounds fishy, but I hear they work.

I'm a huge NASCAR fan, but I would never sit and watch the Daytona 500 while I'm at WDW, and I hate to miss a race. Hence, the DVR.....
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rubato View Post
    I made the mistake of scheduling our time at WDW during Superbowl Sunday. I am the biggest Packers fan there ever was (mostly because of Favre), but it never would have occurred to me when I planned this trip ages ago that I'd be hunting down the nearest tv. My hubby, son and I are camping, so we'll be trying out the Wilderness Lodge. Of course, we still have to beat the Giants, but I don't think that'll be a problem!
    Look for us in the Wilderness Lodge lounge! The 4 of us will be decked out in our Packer finest !

When I booked the trip I COMPLETELY spaced on the fact that Superbowl Sunday fell smack in the middle of the biggest family vacation ever!
    (NOT that I could've predicted the season the Packers have had ... wow.) Just like you had no way of knowing the Chargers would upset Indy...

Think of it this way - how miserable will DH be if you make him miss this game?? There's your answer ...

I voted to let DH watch the game
    First REAL trip January/February 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

Understanding all that you have "put into" the planning of this trip (mine is planned fully for Christmas except for ADRs - waiting for 180 days), I say let DH and any family that wants to join him go watch the game and you and the rest of your family proceed without him!! I would not change my reservation either. At this point, you probably can't any way... If on the other hand the meal wasn't one of your "must dos", then you can decide if a change is in order!
    Lori

Post Thanks / Like

Default Let him go

Hey its supposed to be a vacation- if he was walking around the parks he would not be enjoying himself because he'd be checking for scores and worrying about the game.
    Its only 3 hours, it should not ruin anything- i voted for change reservations to lunch.

The Chargers were not expected to go this far so its pretty special, and if they upset NE and he misses it, he will be more upset.
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

Post Thanks / Like

Default RE: Game

Quote Originally Posted by mjaclyn View Post
    DH and I are going to WDW for a trip with his family next week. *YAY!* We leave on Saturday night, and our first big Disney day is on Sunday! I've taken charge of the planning and have all the reservations set. This trip has been in the works for over a year and we're all very excited - especially the in-laws who hardly ever get to see DD because they live on the other side of the country. Now, here is my dilemma:

DH and some of his family are big Chargers fans. DH mentioned something to me today about watching the game at ESPN Zone this Sunday while we're in Disney!!! I couldn't believe my ears...to want to watch football on our first real day in Disney when DH's parents rarely get to be with DD?? Plus, we have a reservation for Les Chefs De France at 5:40 which I would have to cancel - after making it six months ago!!! Am I being completely unreasonable for not understanding why DH has to watch football in the middle of Disney World? Help!
    I am a female from Boston, we are big in sports and I wouldn't hesitate to cancel the dinner plans. I canceled ours, for a Yankee -Red sox regular season game while we were down there and we all watched the game at ESPN. We had a great time.
    Your husband watching that game, is like you planning for Disney all year. This is the road to the Super Bowl. Get on board!!! You'll have fun.
    The food is good too.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Go Pats!!!

I would let him watch the game. You and whoever else wants to should go to dinner. then meet up with him and the sports fans afterwards at Beaches and cream for the kitchen sink.
    I can't understand how you could possibly deny him the opportunity and PRIVLEDGE of watching the PATRIOTS go to 18 - 0 !!!!!!

Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Share This Thread On Social Media: