Quantcast Spaceship Earth Revamp - Wonderful AND Woeful - Page 10

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    So, when you do a rehab, and have a chance to do something rather than nothing and make it less than a "little dull", that doesn't bother you?

Opportunity knocked and they closed the door.
    I have to agree with you John. The door was closed right in my face. I hate the "ending" that never ends. They have completely left us hanging as we come down. I also really do not like this new female's voice. Jeremy Irons rocked it....."Like a grand and miraculous spaceship....." Her voice annoys me as you can hear it echo in the other cars. I don't recall hearing JI's voice echoing over and over. (not that I would mind that)
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool My Report On the "new" Spaceship Earth

Okay, Disneyphiles - and especially those of you obsessed with Epcot, uh, excuse me, Epcot CENTER....here is my impressions of my preview of the new and maybe not so improved Spaceship Earth.....

The entrance - Everything is pretty much the same, except for the signage. It's sleeker, and yes, there's a new, modern symbol. No, they didn't bring the old one back. The nerve! But aren't we used to them doing that to the things we hold dear? Moving on....the mural is still there. Thank God. I was worried. The circular boarding area and the cars are pretty much the same, save two things: The costumes for the cast members have changed to fit the colors and logo, and the "time machines" are now fitted with touch-sensitive LCD screens. I had high hopes....

The ride - Going up the hill, I was greeted by a seemingly over-caffinated Dame Judi Dench hyterically telling me that I am uncivilized and the Egyptians are resposible for taxes. I miss Jeremy Irons. Scratch that. I miss Walter Kronkite. WHY do we keep changing narrorators? Siigghhhhhh. Okay. The caveman/mammoth scene is cool, and the animatronics are definitely more fluid and lifelike. The boat scene is very cool, with convincing rocking of the waves.
    Much of the interior scenes were jezzed up, and for the most part, are well done.
    The Greek theatre scene is now a mathematics lesson in progress. Okay. In the Renaissance scene, they covered up the sculpture's bare breast, because that was SO offensive. They added a new scene where mainframe computers get invented in the 1970's, and then introduced as desktop versions in
    the late 70's/early 80's in someone's garage- both scenes are pretty cool.
    The "paper boy" by the large turning steam-powered wheels is now facing away from you and is down the alley a ways. Why? All the papers are still piled up near the front! At least they gave him a kid's voice instead of that weird deep voice coming out of a 12-year-old. Further down, the movie scenes now show vintage Olympics footage on a single screen, NOT the 20,000 Leagues clips that used to grace the multiple screens. Are they purposefully trying to purge it from EVERY fond memory I have? On the other side, a 1969 family is watching the moon landing. Where's Walt? That's just wrong. At least they left the starry sky.
    The music changed, but I expected that. I sill miss the old soundtrack terribly, though. It seemed to fit so much better.

The "return to earth" - this is where it all went wrong. The Dame asks you to answer a bunch of random questions about yourself in order for the ride to "design your future". I was excited at first. What I didn't realize was that I was cleverly being drawn to my tiny screen so I couldn't see what was going on around me which was ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! They tore everything out! No fiber optics, no flashing lights, no futuristic newscasts, no lasers, no cool virtual field trips or anything! Just blackness....the absence of creativity. All that space, and you're staring at a screen, going backwards for no good reason. Well, I thought, maybe the "future" I helped design will make up for it. Wrong. What I saw next was a Jetson-esque cartoon that pretty advertises gadgets of the future. Are you kidding me? Then Judy Dench respectfully told me to get out and enjoy playing in the Project Tomorrow room.

Overall Impression - Most of the ride was nicely done. The animatronics are very fluid, and the new or improved scenes are cool- except for covering the breast (seriously?), taking out the 20,000 leagues clips (BOOOOO!!!), and removing Walt (WTF?). The biggest issue for me is the "return to earth". There's gotta be more. Please tell me there's more. That killed the whole thing for me.
    Last edited by John; 12-29-2007 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Implied Cursing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Red Randal View Post
    WHAT!?! I've never heard that tidbit before. Is that why he's gone from the ride? Because Kodak owns rights to the character? Can that be right?
    I thought this to be true myself until I did my homework...I was wrong about Kodak's ownership being the reason. I apologize for that.

What really happened was HISTA. Michael Eisner used the Imagination Institute theme as a weapon to kill off Dreamfinder and Figment, leaving us with an unimaginative pavilion about imagination. Enough people complained to bring back Figment, but somehow Dreamfinder got left out of things. That "somehow" can be summed up, I believe, by a quote from David Koenig's "Realityland" book:

Quote Originally Posted by David Koenig
    What guests failed to realize was that the theme parks had been taken over by executives who looked down on the Ways of Walt and found classic entertainment quaint, out of step. They preferred their attractions hip and affordable.
    Even though Eisner's out, I don't think I'm too far off in assuming this way of thinking hasn't quite left the helm yet...that Spaceship Earth has been cheapened by this brand of thinking, but not entirely wrecked (thankfully).

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up New Spaceship Earth

Rode it twice today with the wife. Overall we liked it (her more than me I think). A few thoughts from me -

Better effects and scenes (may sound stupid, but I found the *spoiler moving cave paintings end spoiler* amazing for some reason).

Judy Dench just wasn't as good as past voice-overs in my opinion.

The much complained about finally to the ride wasn't as bad as I had feared from here. It isn't just "black curtains" as described. There's a "star field" that at least gives it something. From the reports I expected just plain black curtains. And the video display is fun with *spoiler how your pictures are inserted in it end spoiler*. Was very fun.

Loved the *spoiler computer room scene end spoiler*.

All in and all, pretty good. Not a Pirates or Haunted Mansion level of rehab in my opinion, but it is pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seminole_kev View Post
    The much complained about finally to the ride wasn't as bad as I had feared from here. It isn't just "black curtains" as described. There's a "star field" that at least gives it something. From the reports I expected just plain black curtains.
    To be clear, though, that star field is only at the very beginning of the descent sequence. It's gone once you're past the point where the old T.V. news broadcast scene was.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default star field

There's two types. There's the mirror/blue-ish lights one towards the start of the descent, and then there's the lights for the remainder (granted in front of black curtains) but a "stars" look for the remainder of the descent as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I also really liked the animated cave paintings.

I think the storyline is a lot better than the old version. The going backwards part however was interesting... the interactive screen I mean... but they could have added more decorations than just lights.

Overall: Great Job Disney!
    ºoº Matt | DisFan01 ºoº

"Playful spooks have interrupted our tour..."

Post Thanks / Like

Quite frankly (even though I haven't been on it yet) I always thought the finale was FINE the way it was, and wasn't dated in the least. The music and narration in the descent almost always moved me to tears, even having been on it a million times. Something tells me I'm not going to be a fan of this when I get to ride it in March.
    Visits: Too many to count!

College Programs: 3

What's next? We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

Wow...this is getting a lot of attention. We just returned and yes, the line was long to get into Spaceship Earth. I enjoyed the changes made to a few of the scenes, but there were too many things not working right.
    SPOILERS AHEAD

1. The scene where the Roman soldier was and you could see the chariot in the background that looked like it came into the city and then left??? It worked the first time we saw it and not the next 2. Now, this has been a staple of this scene for years and years. What happened?

2. The ride back down was cool the first time because it was different. My husband and I rode in one car and our oldest son in the one behind us. WE got our picture on the characters on screen, our son was some woman's head.

3. When we rode it with all our sons, we got the cartoon version on the screen even though we all got our picture taken. When I asked a ride attendant if the screens were not working, he barked NO at me. (Not very Disneyesque but I save that for another comment thread.) We rode it one last time before we left and again, the kids didn't get their picture on the screen. THAT was very disappointing because it was the only thing to look forward to on the way down.
    Disney Institute December 1999
    Ft. Wilderness June 1993, 1997, 2002, 2006-December 2007
    Caribbean Beach January 2008
    Port Orleans Riverside - January 2009
    Pop Century January 2007, December 2009, November 2010
    Pop CenturyOctober 2011

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Camping Mom]
    1. The scene where the Roman soldier was and you could see the chariot in the background that looked like it came into the city and then left??? It worked the first time we saw it and not the next 2. Now, this has been a staple of this scene for years and years. What happened?
    [QUOTE]

I am glad that the chariot is still there!

That was a favorite part of the ride for me.
    I watched the video on You Tube, but I did not see the chariot and I was afraid that it was gone. I will miss the part where Jeremy Irons said "All roads led to Rome". but at least we still have the visual.

The fact that your kids had only the video of their heads on the cartoon to look forward to on the descent of the ride, says volumes of how the ride has not lived up to the previous version. The touch screen seems much better suited to the post show. How can such a cheesy cartoon take the place of half of one of the best rides ever at WDW?
    "Im a storyteller. Of all the things I've ever done, I'd like to be remembered as a storyteller." Walt Disney

The mighty Roman Empire bridged 3 continents with a vast system of roads. The fastest information highways the world had ever known.
    East, West, North and South, all roads led to Rome

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't ridden SSE since the refurb, but I have seen a video, and I must say that the narration and script is disappointing. I loved Jeremy Irons delivery and while Judi Densch's voice is okay, the script-both in the writing and tone- is awful. It went from being this majestic oration to sounding like a tour guide talking to small children on a field trip.

Jeff
    Disney Vacation Club Member

The Beach Club
    Remember the Magic!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post
    OK, so we "got lucky" and got into a "sneak preview" Thursday morning. Didn't really know what to expect...but we were very disappointed with the way the attraction is at this time. The new narration is really "dumbed down" and makes us (that would be human civilization) sound and feel like idiots. I don't like the Judi Dench narration - a female voice just doesn't fit the attraction at all in my opinion. As for the new show scenes, they took out the "Walt Disney Presents" on the living room TV, took out the Greek theatre scene (it's now Greek scholars) ("Mathematics..."), and after the telegraph/movie theater/living room scene - which represents the mid-20th century, you go - BANG! - right to some guy's garage (Steve Jobs) working on the first Apple computer. Then....NOTHING. Once you get to the top and your vehicle rotates backwards, you're literally in the dark for the ride down. Sure, your touch-screen turns on, but there's absolutely NOTHING else to look at on the way down.

We're are comparing this to the first re-make of the Imagination pavilion, when Figment was removed completely. We're both very disappointed with the way SSE is right now. She (my girlfriend) had made a comment: "They've now managed to destroy every pavilion in Future World now. There's nothing left of the original Future World." Sure, SSE was re-done before, but it kept its original Epcot feel. This thing now is just an abomination, much like the WoM-to-Test Track, Horizons-to-Mission: Space, Figment-to-non-Figment Imagination, Kitchen Kabaret-to-Food Rocks!-to-Soarin'...<sigh...>
    Jim - just curious - do they take Cast Member feedback seriously when changes to attractions occur?

Since this is a soft opening - could improvements be made prior to the "official" opening?
    SSR & BC DVC Member
    Coming up - BWV July '18
    BWI '98, BWV '05, '08-16
    BLT - '15, '17
    Beach Club '96, BCV - '04, '06, 09
    Swan '07
    Contemporary - '91, '94, '02, '04
    Wilderness Lodge '00, VWL, 08
    Off Site - '80's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jefmblrd View Post
    I loved Jeremy Irons delivery and while Judi Densch's voice is okay, the script-both in the writing and tone- is awful. It went from being this majestic oration to sounding like a tour guide talking to small children on a field trip.
    I agree with this statement 100%. It was as if we were all 6 years old; very disappointing!
    i stopped counting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGiant View Post
    Jim - just curious - do they take Cast Member feedback seriously when changes to attractions occur?
    Front line CMs don't have any say in pretty much anytihng going on, certainly not a refurb. I'm going to guess that all of the design comes from WDI with maybe some input from the sponsor, but probably mostly trhings like product placement, etc.

As with most feedback given though. It MAY make it's way back to someone who cares, but by the time they hit the soft-opening phase, everything is mostly set in stone. I'm sure there will be a few tweaks here and there, but overall, I'm not expecting much to change. Most of the money ihas already been spent, so unless someone is willing to fork over more money... I would guess the people who worked on the SSE refurb are already either looking for more work, or are in the middle of transitioning over to a new project.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    I would guess the people who worked on the SSE refurb are already either looking for more work, or are in the middle of transitioning over to a new project.
    Hopefully at another theme park.
    1995 - Grand Floridian (Honeymoon)
    1997 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    1998 - All-Star Music
    2005 - All-Star Music & Movies
    2006 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip View Post
    Hopefully at another theme park.
    Well I didn't mean it that way, but one could hope. WDI is project based now from what I hear. Meaning, there is a very small contingent of WDI empoyees and more hired contractors depending on the job. So, since the majority fo the design is done on SSE, that project would in effect be over and those contractors would be gone and out looking for more work.

I understand you are thinking they were maybe fired, but one could only hope that the stooge responsible for the ending is gone and gone for good. Sadly, I doubt it. I've found you get promoted to the level of your incompetence, so I'm sure the person got a raise and a nice cushy office.

Post Thanks / Like

i have to say that reading through this thread has made me really sad. Spaceship Earth is one of my favorite rides at Epcot. I was hoping for a change at the end, but really wanted them to leave the rest of the ride alone. (except maybe the ultra uncomfortable seats and the bumpy/jerky track)

I am bummed that they took Jeremy Irons out. he has such a cool voice.
    Everybodys got a laughin place!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sagitarius View Post
    I agree with this statement 100%. It was as if we were all 6 years old; very disappointing!
    I totally agree. I watched a video ride through and thought "Am I watching a kindergarten educational video? 'That man is writing on papyrus, children. Can you say "Papyrus"?'"

I just got back, and couldn't bear to ride it. Once one of my favorite rides in all of Disney World, I couldn't bring myself to ride it. My friend did, I went to the Norway pavilion to watch Spellmans Gelldje (always one of my favorite performers in World Showcase). She tried to get me to ride it, but I just couldn't bear it. Watching that video ride through--they just really butchered this one. I've seen too much of what I loved about EPCOT lost, I couldn't bear seeing even Spaceship Earth dumbed down.
    KUNGALOOSH FOREVER!!

"Will you stop this foolishness!!"
    "What kind of foolishness would you like to see?"

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I am in the minority but liked the changes, including the way down. I was pretty happy with it.
    But I'm the lady that is still sad they replaced World of Motion and Horizons with thrill rides.
    Shows you what I know.

Post Thanks / Like

I got to ride Spaceship Earth just last week. I have been fortunate enough to see every single change or upgrade since the attraction opened in 1982. I must say, I was not crushed or greatly disappointed by the changes. I think...

1. They are straining just a little to create a new storyline, while trying to keep as much of the old ride as possible.

2. Judy Dench is fine - she is not as evocative or powerful as any of the former narrators, but she is NOT horrible.

3. Yes, it is a bit dumbed down, but after all, it was probably WAY over your average child's understanding before - this change does not bother me as much as the change in story line.

4. The Animatronics are gorgeous. The new scene for ancient Greece (Math instead of Theater) is truly remarkable. (Vehicle stalled here for a long time - got to watch him go through his routine many times - he is WONDERFUL.)

5. Agree with and like the changes concerning the development of the computer.

6. Miss the old "exit" (I'm still missing "Tomorrow's Child" for crying out loud! But I got over it...) but am not totally angry with the new exit - heard people all around me laughing and REALLY enjoying the cartoons. After all, "What will YOUR future be like" is not a bad subject, and can be updated VERY easily (think about it.) It is a drastic change - the old exit was "inspiring" but the new exit is "fun."

MAYBE JUST MAYBE more people will ride this wonderful ICON because it is more FUN!

I'd rather have people riding it, than people ignoring it (think what happened to Horizons - gripe and complain all you want, I know it was fabulous, but it went away because of poor attendance. So did Figment. So did World of Motion).
    "I wanted something alive, something that could grow. Something I can keep plussing with ideas. You see? The park is that. Not only can I add things but even the trees will keep growing. The thing will get more beautiful every year."

Walt Disney

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: