Quantcast Girl Lies about Death of Father in Iraq to Win Hanna Montana Tickets

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dallas, TX (1424.06 miles from the Disneyland Resort)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Girl Lies about Death of Father in Iraq to Win Hanna Montana Tickets

AP-An essay that won a 6-year-old girl four tickets to a Hannah Montana concert began with the powerful line: "My daddy died this year in Iraq."

While gripping, it wasn't true and now the girl may lose her tickets after her mom acknowledged to contest organizers it was all a lie.

The sponsor of the contest was Club Libby Lu, a Chicago-based store that sells clothes, accessories and games intended for young girls.

The saga began Friday with company officials surprising the girl at a Club Libby Lu at a mall in suburban Garland, about 20 miles northeast of Dallas. The girl won a makeover that included a blonde Hannah Montana wig, as well as the grand prize: airfare for four to Albany, N.Y., and four tickets to the sold-out Hannah Montana concert on Jan. 9.

The mother had told company officials that the girl's father died April 17 in a roadside bombing in Iraq, company spokeswoman Robyn Caulfield said.

She had identified the soldier as Sgt. Jonathon Menjivar, but the Department of Defense has no record of anyone with that name dying in Iraq. Caulfield said the mother has admitted to the deception.

"We regret that the original intent of the contest, which was to make a little girl's holiday extra special, has not been realized in the way we anticipated," said Mary Drolet, the CEO of Club Libby Lu.

Drolet said the company is reviewing the matter, and is considering taking away the girl's tickets.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Its sad but thats how popular hannah montana is.

Post Thanks / Like

A 6 year old doesn't come up with something like that on her own. Shame on that mother!

Post Thanks / Like

That's pretty low! That mom had to have more than a hand in fabricating this child's story. It's terrible when real people are dying in Iraq that they made up a story like that to win Hannah Montana concert tickets. What a disgrace!
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely despicable
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly.....I'm speechless.
    WDW is my happy place

Post Thanks / Like

This is just sad. In all honesty, I can understand the greed. What I miss is how a parent could inspire their own child to write such things. Is there any morale left in our times?
    "But you've read it twice!" -The Bookseller

02-1987 Off-Site, 09-2005 Pop Century, 09-2006 Pop Century,
    09 2007 All-Star Sports

Next trip: 09-2006

Yes, I am a Browncoat.

Post Thanks / Like

What a terrible thing to do.
    1988,97,98*,99, 2000,01*,02*,04*,05*,07,08*,09,11,12*,13*'14*,15&, 16*,17(*=2x that year &=3x) on site WDW
    Next trip to WDW: Planning October 2017 and beyond! I love my AP!
    1991 DL 1993 DL Paris
    "If we can dream it, we can do it"
    "The harder I work, the luckier I get"

Post Thanks / Like

I truly hope they do take away the tickets - to do anything less would show that little girl that while lying may be embarassing and troublesome, there really aren't any consequences. How horrid of a thing to lie about, when there are young people facing this reality daily.... She really needs to be taught a lesson - unfortunately, I think it's too late for her mom.
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with all of you. The tickets should be taken away.

Salisbury, Md 14 hours, 21 minutes or 903.36 miles From Disney
    Post Thanks / Like

this story has just made me absolutely sick.. some people have no morals what so ever I also hope the tickets are taken back and given to a lil girl who actually deserves em . I am sure the 6 yr old had little to do with this though but still it is a sad shame. what is this world coming to?
    șoș Josette șoș
    ~*~Next up~*~
    November 2015
    Surprise trip(Pop Century)

Just because I cannot see it, doesn't mean I can't believe it! -Jack Skellington

Post Thanks / Like

Would I sound harsh if I said it doesn't surprise me? I work with the public and I've seen that people will do anything to get what they want including lying. I hope the girl loses the tickets, because she doesn't deserve them.
    Carol

May 14 ???
    Oct. 13 ???
    Oct. 12 DVC-OKW.
    Feb 12 DVC-AKL-Kidani
    Oct. 11 DVC-AKL-Kidani
    Feb. 11 AKL-Jambo
    Feb. 10 POFQ
    Dec. 09 POFQ
    Dec. 08--POFQ
    Oct. 08--POFQ
    Dec. 07--Wilderness Lodge,
    May 06--Grand Floridian

Post Thanks / Like

This makes me so unbelievably angry. The tickets should be taken away & she should have to write an apology essay! She needs to learn that it is not ok to lie like that...even if mommy said it was ok!

There are real people losing their lives in Iraq & Afghanistan everyday and this is not ok. My brother lost two very close comrades while in Irag and it happened on Veteran's Day...of all days! This is not something that should be taken lightly.....not even for a 6-year old to win Hanna Montana tickets.

Possible 3rd Trip: Sept 2008
    ?

2nd Trip:
    Nov 23 - Dec 9 2007
    POP Century

POFQ 2006 (Honeymoon)- July 2-July 16
    First WDW trip

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, what kind of parent does that to a child. I hope they take away the tickets from them. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't.
    Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dsnygirl View Post
    I truly hope they do take away the tickets - to do anything less would show that little girl that while lying may be embarassing and troublesome, there really aren't any consequences. How horrid of a thing to lie about, when there are young people facing this reality daily.... She really needs to be taught a lesson - unfortunately, I think it's too late for her mom.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

While this story appalls me, I am almost positive that the 6 year old had nothing whatsoever to do with the whole thing. I think it's more likely that the mother wrote the entire essay and sent it in without this little girl's knowledge. The sad part is, this little girl thought she won tickets to her idol's concert and now will probably not be allowed to go. Furthermore, I can't help but think of the damage to the mother/daughter relationship! It absolutely sickens me, that this "mother" would risk such heartbreak to her child, as well as the poor example she sets for her!
    Last edited by Beach Club Babe; 12-29-2007 at 11:42 AM. Reason: spelling
    Heather

YC-7/99,00,8/07
    BC-8/01
    Poly-8/02,03,7/05

POR-12/03,9/11
    WL-7/04
    POFQ-12/04,8/06
    Pop-10/05,5/07,12/08,8/09,1/11,3/13
    CBR-11/07,09,10/11,5/12
    ASMo-1/09
    ASSp-1/10,8/12

Offsite-8/08,5/09
    ASMu-8/10,11/10
    CSR-8/10
    AoA-12/12, 9/13

Post Thanks / Like

I not only hope the tickets are taken away but that charges are pressed against the mother maybe this way the daughter will see there are consequences to your actions since obviously the mother isn't teaching here anything.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    I not only hope the tickets are taken away but that charges are pressed against the mother maybe this way the daughter will see there are consequences to your actions since obviously the mother isn't teaching here anything.
    I am with you on this one Jeff... I hope the mom is brought up on charges... And I hope that little 6 year old does not get to see Hannah Montana.... Give the tickets to a TRUE winner....
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Disgusting.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    I am with you on this one Jeff... I hope the mom is brought up on charges... And I hope that little 6 year old does not get to see Hannah Montana.... Give the tickets to a TRUE winner....
    Actually, it's a shame that the little girl will be punished for the what I assume are the actions of her mother. The little girl is really the one caught in the middle. Allowing her to go to the concert sends the message that it's okay to lie and cheat the system to get what you want but not allowing her to go punishes her for the actions of her mother since it's unlikely that a 6 yo came up with this scheme herself. Regardless, I still feel she shouldn't be allowed to go and that mom should be punished somehow.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: