Quantcast Carousel of Progress to be replaced by 2009?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Carousel of Progress to be replaced by 2009?

I've been hearing a lot of rumors lately that WDW's Carousel of Progress and Disneyland's Innoventions will both be replaced with a video screen attraction based on Pixar's Wall-E. Does anybody have more information concerning this matter?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as Innoventions in DL, I read a report yesterday that they have closed the lower portion of Innoventions and that Microsoft is installing a new exhibit in this space. Whether its tied to Wall-E is not clear.

As for COP, rumors of an Incredibles ride and other attractions have been floating around the net for a while. Nothing of any substance has surfaced thus far.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Walt specificly requested that CoP stay in operation? Well, I supose if he did request that and if they did want to replace it with something else, I guess they could always move it to a different park, Paris or whatever, I think his request was only that it stayed in Operation right?

Post Thanks / Like

I highly doubt that would plan to close an attraction to replace it with an attraction based on an unreleased movie. Wall-E could be the biggest flop ever for all we know. I believe this is pure speculation on the orignator of the rumour. For now I would really take this with a grain of salt.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Toad
    ... a video screen attraction based on Pixar's Wall-E.Does anybody have more information concerning this matter?
    According to few sources with connections to Imagineering, the Wall-E based attraction is currently a conceptual project and has not been greenlit.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

Default Please dont

COP is such a tradition, it would be terrible if it was removed.
    As old as it is its still so cool to imagine how advanced it was for the time it was originally made.
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

Post Thanks / Like

This is not directed at the OP but I loathe these CoP shutdown or replacement rumors. The loss of CoP is a thought I don't care to entertain.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

im afraid it may happen....
    sorta got that feelin when had dinner w Imagineer in Sept
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

When I was there in November '06 they had just renovated our theater section. I hope the CoP stays. It was Walt Disney's pride ever since he debuted it at the World's Fair. It is about as "classic" as anything in all of the Magic Kingdom!
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    April '91, '93 Magic Kingdom with HS Band
    November '93, '03, '04, '06, '10
    January '08, December '08
    Fall '11 New Central Florida Resident
    February '10: Disney Wonder Cruise
    November '12: Disney Dream Cruise
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is a shame that these new movies come out and we are subjected to new attractions based on them. Can we PLEASE keep some tradition at WDW? It can't all be about the newest and latest thing. Remember, Walt wanted a place where families can have fun together? Keep some older, cherished attractions.
    1988,97,98*,99, 2000,01*,02*,04*,05*,07,08*,09,11,12*,13*'14*,15&, 16*,17(*=2x that year &=3x) on site WDW
    Next trip to WDW: Planning October 2017 and beyond! I love my AP!
    1991 DL 1993 DL Paris
    "If we can dream it, we can do it"
    "The harder I work, the luckier I get"

Post Thanks / Like

I will miss COP that is my favorite ride! And I Do love The Incredibles! I hope The Incredibles ride will be official!
    JEANY SANCHEZ
    January 2022 Polynesian Village Resort

Post Thanks / Like

While anything can happen at any time with The Disney Company the stories about CoP closing down have been a dime a dozen for many years now. The stories really pick up when CoP goes on a shorter operating schedule or when it closes for maintenance. Until Disney itself announces something official there is no point in getting too worried about it.

By the way, one way to get any ride, including CoP to stay open is for Disney to see that LOTS of people are visiting it. As we all know CoP is not exactly the first attraction most people run for when they get to the Magic Kingdom. If all of us who really love CoP can get just a couple more people to visit it each time we go that would increase the odds that it stays open. Of course that is still no guarantee that it will stay open but it can't hurt.

Post Thanks / Like

How was the COP extra fastpass program working with crowds? Was it bringing in more people to the ride or did people just discard them? I didn't see or recieve any fastpasses to it on my last couple of trips. On a good day you can get half of the theather full and if they would actually advertise the thing just a little more it would get the attention it deserves.

If they wanted to move the ride, Epcot would be perfect for it since it deals with how technology and how everything has progressed through the years.
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

I would be soooo sad if CoP closed! Maybe I'm naieve, but I would also be very suprised. It seems like CoP is a tradition that imagineers would preserve. I hope so!
    "Have a Magical Day"

WDW Obsessed since 1984!

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a COP at Disneyland?
    Which one is the "Original"?
    just wondering...
    I think it is a cool ride too, but we have to admit that it is pretty corny...
    "It's a great big beautiful tomorrow..."
    Forever
    Rely
    On
    God!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Why do they have to replace anything to put in a new ride? Wasn't part of the reasoning for purchasing 40+ square miles of land to never be restricted for expansion?
    Tom

DLR '76, '81-2x, '85-2x, '01, '03, '04, '05-2x, '07-3x All off-site

DLR '02 PPH
    DLR '07, '13 GCH
    DLR '08, '12 DLH
    DLR '09, '10 GCV
    WDW '82 Royal Plaza
    WDW '98 ASMu
    WDW '06 POR
    WDW '08 POP
    WDW '08, '09, '11 BWV
    WDW '14 OKW, DCL, BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    Is there a COP at Disneyland?
    Which one is the "Original"?
    just wondering...
    I think it is a cool ride too, but we have to admit that it is pretty corny...
    "It's a great big beautiful tomorrow..."
    The COP at Disneyland was moved to WDW and the location at DLR became "America Sings." It is currently Innoventions, with many of the America Sings characters residing in Splash Mountain at DLR.
    Tom

DLR '76, '81-2x, '85-2x, '01, '03, '04, '05-2x, '07-3x All off-site

DLR '02 PPH
    DLR '07, '13 GCH
    DLR '08, '12 DLH
    DLR '09, '10 GCV
    WDW '82 Royal Plaza
    WDW '98 ASMu
    WDW '06 POR
    WDW '08 POP
    WDW '08, '09, '11 BWV
    WDW '14 OKW, DCL, BLT

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Disney_Barbie View Post
    I thought Walt specificly requested that CoP stay in operation? Well, I supose if he did request that and if they did want to replace it with something else, I guess they could always move it to a different park, Paris or whatever, I think his request was only that it stayed in Operation right?
    Walt Disney....seemed to never think he would die....but beyond that, he had rapidly progressing lung cancer that killed him within a short amount of time after it was discovered....he didn't actually have enough time to really take care of any of his affairs.....his brother had too

So by all accounts...it would've been highly unlikely that he had any standing orders on how to use theme park rides....remember that the Carousel had only recently arrived in California when he died in 1966....and WDW was swampland with barely a bulldozer moving at the time....
    I don't believe there is any way that he "requested" or ordered anything about one thing in all of his dealings....

Disney has been hesitant to remove anything with original Disney stamps ever since....hence perhaps the perception that they are acting on somekind of marching orders from walt disney...

By all the accounts I've seen...Disney was consumed by his EPCOT city and the Mineral King Ski Resort in the time leading up to his death...

morale of the story: don't smoke

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SignguyTom View Post
    Why do they have to replace anything to put in a new ride? Wasn't part of the reasoning for purchasing 40+ square miles of land to never be restricted for expansion?
    the service areas of the parks at WDW ring the outside of the existing park footprints...therefore ride "sprawl" is not a feasible option....

There's also operational expenses, staffing, maintenance and a bunch of other issues that become greater as expansion proceeds...

So no....adding without subtraction is not a workable plan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post

So no....adding without subtraction is not a workable plan.
    Actually right now it is a possibility, because they replaced 20K with something Pooh's playground which is so much smaller, and was supposed be temporary when it was built.

I love COP, but IMHO it should be moved to FutureWorld. I have always thought it would make an excellent addition to an expanded Universe of Energy pavilion.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: