Quantcast Texting While Driving

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Texting While Driving

I heard on the news the other day that a person (didn't catch age or M/F) was text messaging while driving, hit the car in front of them so hard that, that car hit the one in front of them and that car burst into flames. Everyone in that car died.

I can't understand how people can text message while driving. As you can see it's very dangerous. If I was the parents of the people who died, I would definately bring up legal charges to the person who was texting. I hope that person was put in jail
    So many ideas, so little time. I need a part-time job to support my craft habit.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

That is very sad to hear. I think people get so used to texting all the time that when they receive a message when they're driving they feel they have to respond. I have texted while I'm in my car on my way somewhere, but I'm sitting at a stop light waiting for it to change, not moving when I text. I don't see how you can find they keys while you're moving.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

I heard about this on an episode of the Dr. Phil Show a while back that featured a teenaged girl who had a terrible habit of while driving. And she was driving a stick! So, she's texting with one hand, shifting with the other... how is she steering the car?! She'd been in multiple minor accidents, had a few near-misses with pedestrians, etc and still couldn't see why everyone was making such a big deal out of what she was doing. There was a young man on the show who had got into an accident while texting and someone had died as a result. When the girl heard this story and asked what she thought about it, guess what her reply was? "He must not have been very coordinated. I'll never be involved in something like that because I'm well practiced at what I'm doing." HUH!?

This, to me, shows just how self-involved some people can be. Car accidents are already occurring far too often, why people would just further endanger themselves and others over something so trivial is simply beyond me. Can you imagine being the family member of someone who was injured or, heaven forbid, died so needlessly? Grr...
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

Mr. & Mrs. Mouse are heading back to WDW! We're celebrating our 1st anniversary at the Wilderness Lodge in July!!

Post Thanks / Like

Very simply put, the laws CANNOT be strong enough against things like this. And then the enforcement has to be equally as strong.

It is bad enough that people show no respect for others by talking on/texting from their cell phones when they are talking to others but it just simply goes over the line when it is done while driving! Where have simple manners and simple common sense gone?

Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit that I have in the past text messaged while driving. Not very often and it is usually followed by the thought that I should not be doing it. I try my best not to do it anymore and to limit even talking on the phone while driving. I would expect my daughter to be safe and NOT do it, so why should I allow myself to?
    Accidents occuring and people dying are horrible and I can't imagine the guilt that people have to live with from causing that because of such an avoidable circumstance.

I also agree that people who are texting or constantly checking their phones while with a group of friends drive me NUTS! I have a close friend who does that and it makes me crazy.
    Liz
    March 2006-POP!
    September 2007-POP!

Post Thanks / Like

2Epcot hit it on the nose. People have gotten so used to texting and instant gratification that you sometimes feel you need to reply right away. Very selfish, yes. I've also texted at stop lights before, but only because I have a friend that is extremely phobic and won't call you and gets panic attacks if you're running late. If it's something long I pull over and if I'm in traffic or on the highway I won't even look at the phone.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

This is very disturbing. As I said in another post, as a former EMT who at the time was seeing a funeral director, I have seen what being in a hurry and inattentiveness can do. We both learned how precious life was after seeing the results of a poor decision made while behind the wheel.
    1988,97,98*,99, 2000,01*,02*,04*,05*,07,08*,09,11,12*,13*'14*,15&, 16*,17(*=2x that year &=3x) on site WDW
    Next trip to WDW: Planning October 2017 and beyond! I love my AP!
    1991 DL 1993 DL Paris
    "If we can dream it, we can do it"
    "The harder I work, the luckier I get"

Post Thanks / Like

There have been way to many people just not paying attention without any type of distraction like texting while driving. Today while at lunch there were 3 cars that made a right-turn only lane into a straight-thru. Then when coming back from lunch one car decided to cut straight-thru from a left-turn only. That wasn't the end from him. He then cut back and forth a couple of times between the two available lanes and then made a u-turn in the middle of the road with on-coming traffic. I just looked at him like "What on Earth are you doing?". He had this blank I haven't a clue what I'm doing stare. Last night had 3 people within 15 seconds decide they didn't want to be in the lane they are in, and tried to access lanes over median--right in front of me!!

I have to keep all of my attention on the road and the other drivers just to avoid being hit by people that can't drive. How can someone find time to text message?!? It's absurd.

I really believe that driver's licenses should be MUCH harder to get than they currently are. Along with re-testing every-so-often.

I'll get off my now.
    Dave
    PAP Since Oct-2007
    Too many visits to count.
    VMK: StormyNewTurtle

Latest: DW (Fallendroplet) and I are expecting a new Disney fan!!! Due mid-July 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

I must be hopelessy archaic, because the whole texting thing just escapes me. With all due respect to texters out there, in my personal experience, I find it rude and impersonal. I've had people text while holding a face to face conversation, had grocery checkout girls stop in the middle of my check out to text. I have a co-worker who has actually stopped mid-procedure to text (I work in Radiology). Saddest of all, I can't count the number of times I've been in restaurants and seen families at the same table, with kids texting and moms and dads looking like the most forgotten folks on the planet. A rare chance for a family to be together and interact and all I see are thumbs flying and no conversation. When I was a kid, I couldn't bring anything to the table but my appetite and my mom wasn't even strict. But manners were very important to her and me and I really think there is a loss of ettiquette with texting. Of course, not everyone...I wouldn't generalize like that, but enough to make you wonder what the heck is going on!
    :)Don, Steph, Kacey, Hayley and James

"What's this?...There's magic in the air!"-Jack SKellington

1972-1985 DLR Too many to list!
    1989- Off-site WDW
    1990- CBR Honeymoon!
    1992- CBR
    2003- ASM
    2006- POR
    2008- CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Should people attempt to text message while driving, absolutely no.

However, before condemning those guilty of such irresponsible behavior, perhaps we should reflect on our own behavior. I would be willing to bet that many of us, myself included, are guilty of occasionally allowing ourselves to be unnecessarily distracted while driving. Perhaps not from texting, but from an endless list of other possibilities.... making a phone call, tuning the radio, looking for a cd, lighting a cigarette, searching for a lighter, searching for toll money, talking to someone in the seat beside you, yelling at the kids in the back seat, taking a drink from the soft drink, fishing a burger out of a bag, reading, putting on make-up, flipping off the driver next to you, car dancing, trying to operate you new GPS unit, etc, etc, etc. All voluntary choices of behavior and all distracting from attentive driving.

And in reality, how do you enforce a law against texting while driving. How do you prove someone was texting while driving?

Now what I'd really like to see is a way of outlawing driving while stupid. You know, running red lights, u-turns in the median, entering a highway at 30 mph and THEN speed up, stopping at the end of an on ramp, driving past a line of backed up traffic only to attempt to merge in at the front of the backup, endlessly honking for the person in front of you to go when there is no possible way they can go anywhere.... again, the list goes on and on and on.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

entering a highway at 30 mph and THEN speed up, stopping at the end of an on ramp, driving past a line of backed up traffic only to attempt to merge in at the front of the backu
    OMG, I see this every day on my way home. Especially doing 30 on the ON ramp. I don't care what time of day it is, it happens every day.

I do change radio stations, look for CD's (but they are in my middle console and I just pick the first CD on top) and sometimes car dance (if it's the right song and I'm in the mood).
    So many ideas, so little time. I need a part-time job to support my craft habit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    However, before condemning those guilty of such irresponsible behavior, perhaps we should reflect on our own behavior. I would be willing to bet that many of us, myself included, are guilty of occasionally allowing ourselves to be unnecessarily distracted while driving. Perhaps not from texting, but from an endless list of other possibilities.... making a phone call, tuning the radio, looking for a cd, lighting a cigarette, searching for a lighter, searching for toll money, talking to someone in the seat beside you, yelling at the kids in the back seat, taking a drink from the soft drink, fishing a burger out of a bag, reading, putting on make-up, flipping off the driver next to you, car dancing, trying to operate you new GPS unit, etc, etc, etc. All voluntary choices of behavior and all distracting from attentive driving.
    I would have to say that I completely agree with you!
    Former WDW MK BTM CM.

Engaged at MGM's OFSL on NYE 2006.

Married to DisneyDave4479 (June 16, 2007).

PAP since October 2007.

Been enjoying WDW since 1986...with hundreds of visits...just call me lucky!

VMK: PoorPuzzledFish.

Post Thanks / Like

We don't have cell phones that do anything that fancy, and I don't even like to answer my phone while I'm driving. I'm 63, and I have M.S. My reflex's are moderately poor. I'm a really poor risk to do any more than drive from point A to point B with a minimum of distractions. My DH drives a stick shift at a "little" (cough), over the speed limit, eating, changing CD's, and occasionally, reading something, and it scares the **** out of me.

In Phoenix, if you get caught texting while driving, you get arrested !!!!!

Folks, do what everyone I know does. Text in church - sometimes it helps.
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

Angry

Waiting at a red light the other day, I glanced over at the car next to me and the girl driving was talking on her cell phone with her left hand and texting on another cell with her right hand.
    OK, I thought she would probably at the very least hang one or the other up when the light changed. Oh no, she proceeded to drive on steering with her elbow!
    Needless to say I made a hasty turn at the next street and took an alternate way home.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 18 and three of my best girlfriend all text while they're driving. Ever since the sidekicks came out they've been doing it and it's so dangerous. Sometimes at a red light they will be talking to someone and the light will turn green and they don't even notice but they don't pay attention and I have to yell at them to drive! They are so oblivious to the danger of it and it scares me. Sometimes I do talk on the phone while driving but I make sure it's on speakerphone and the phone is on my lap so no hand contact is involved.
    My prayers go to that family in the accident.
    Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of years ago, a teenaged girl was driving along a rural highway near here. She was downloading ringtones to her cell at the same time. She got so far off the road, that she hit the guy riding his bike way off on the shoulder of the road. She didn't see him until she heard the thump he made bouncing off her car.
    He later died. He was in his mid 20s. She was 17 or 18. They charged her with something like "improper lane usage" because there was no law against using your cell while driving. She says she has nightmares. His parents are trying to get the laws in Illinois changed. Countless lives ruined by one thoughtless moment. It's tragic.
    Holly
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    "Think of the safety. Think of the sense of well-being. At last, your family can be protected from the heartbreak of gorilla invasion." Dr. B. Honeydew

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJMommy3 View Post
    I must be hopelessy archaic, because the whole texting thing just escapes me. With all due respect to texters out there, in my personal experience, I find it rude and impersonal. I've had people text while holding a face to face conversation, had grocery checkout girls stop in the middle of my check out to text. I have a co-worker who has actually stopped mid-procedure to text (I work in Radiology). Saddest of all, I can't count the number of times I've been in restaurants and seen families at the same table, with kids texting and moms and dads looking like the most forgotten folks on the planet. A rare chance for a family to be together and interact and all I see are thumbs flying and no conversation. When I was a kid, I couldn't bring anything to the table but my appetite and my mom wasn't even strict. But manners were very important to her and me and I really think there is a loss of ettiquette with texting. Of course, not everyone...I wouldn't generalize like that, but enough to make you wonder what the heck is going on!
    I totally agree with you... and mostly b/c I just don't get the popularity of texting!! I've only done it once, after a friend sent me a picture of her new puppy on my phone... so I sent her a note back, the whole time not even sure if I was doing it right!! And boy did it take me longer than just calling her... I could've said all I'd texted and then some!! It seems cold, impersonal and impossibly dull... I'd much prefer a conversation. If something's that important and the person is unavailable, I suppose it works well as a message - but so would a phone message! I'd never want to be interrupted in the middle of something important for a text message, esp. if it was an emergency - I'd much prefer some kind of a phone call, even if it pulled me away from what I was doing. I guess I just don't get it. (And I'm not that old, either! Just a pen & paper girl in a computer driven world... )
    And then to consider that people are dying just so others can converse on their phones, if you want to call it that... I hope the laws get stricter, I can tell you that!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

can't count the number of times I've been in restaurants and seen families at the same table, with kids texting and moms and dads looking like the most forgotten folks on the planet. A rare chance for a family to be together and interact and all I see are thumbs flying and no conversation.
    I agree! If I ever get a text message when I'm out to dinner with my family or anyone for that matter I never respond because it's so rude. Especially when two people are texting back and forth- it makes it seem like the person you are talking to is more interesting than the one sitting right in front of you! I get very upset when my friends do this to me.
    One time I was hanging out with my girlfriends and they actually were texting each other instead of talking to one another! That baffles me.

Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm another person who is baffled by texting. I think I've gotten two, maybe three, in my whole life, and they were messages that could have just as easily been told over the phone. I just don't understand why you would take the time to text someone when you could simply pick up the phone and say, "I've only got a minute but I wanted you to know..."
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Default .........

Just another reason as to why "I" don't have a cell phone and never will. Everyone STILL tries to convince me that I need one "in case of an emergency" or "in case they need to get hold of me" or "......." and my response is --- I have lived 45 1/2 years of my life WITHOUT a cell phone. I have traveled 1000's (across the United States several times) BY CAR WITHOUT a cell phone. I have made millions of trips to the department store, grocery store, mini mart, etc WITHOUT a cell phone. I raised 2 kids (they are 26 & 25) WITHOUT a cell phone. I will continue to live my life without a cell phone.
    Carribean Beach / Saratoga Springs
    Boardwalk Villas / Saratoga Springs
    Wilderness Lodge Villas / Saratoga Springs
    Saratoga Springs
    SARATOGA SPRINGS & THE DISNEY WONDER

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: