Quantcast More evidence that Disney prices are ok

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default More evidence that Disney prices are ok

I've posted my thoughts before on my belief that Disney dining prices are actually cheaper than many other entertainment venues (other theme parks specifically), with larger portions and much higher quality.

See: http://www.intercot.com/discussion/s...ad.php?t=78939

After a visit to Ringling Bros. yesterday, I was reminded of that prior discussion. Not only is Disney dining a better value than that of other events/destinations, but the dollar to enjoyment ratio is much greater as well. At the circus, I dropped $30 per person for a two hour show, $7 per box of popcorn, and $10 (yes ten) per bag of cotton candy. I resisted the pleas from my 5 year old for a lighted-spinny-thingy as they were $20.

Again, Disney isn't cheap, but dollar for dollar has got to be one of the best values in family entertainment/vacationing.
    "They've done research you know...60% of the time, it works every time"

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I circus cancharge that because it's a one time thing. But when you visit Disney, it's for a few days usually, so they have to make their prices affordable.
    Pimpin aint dead.... its just renamed.... Frozen.

Post Thanks / Like

the dollar to enjoyment ratio is much greater as well.
    I could not agree more!!
    Jim aka PrincessASquared's Daddy º0º

DVC Owners as of August 1, 2007 at SSR!!
    2007 SSR
    2008 SSR

2008 - SSR
    2009 POP/BC
    2009 SSR
    2010 POP/OKW

2010 OKW
    2011 POP/BWV

Upcoming Trips
    2011 OKW
    2012 POP/BWV

mttafire Guest

Yep, I agree 100%. Disney to me, Is in NO way too expensive at all. Not even close. (Absolutely the BEST dollar for dollar vacation value.)
    Folks are traveling ALOT the past several years. Disney like Vegas have enjoyed attendence fiqures go up-up-up. Folks have money to spend and im happy that Disney is one of their choices!!

Post Thanks / Like

I run into a similar problem here, there is a place near me called Moody Gardens, (it is a planetary, tropical rain forest, aquarium, and a IMAX theater). We talked about going to it just once. When we called up to find out how much it cost we discovered it was $30 per person not including the IMAX tickets.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I couldn't agree more. If you put the prices for a Walt Disney World vacation up against just about any other recreation or leisure activity or any other vacation destination, it's going to come out on top or equal.

It's just fashionable to complain that Disney charges too much. It's actually not true.

I mean would you rather drop $125 a person for a 3 hour football game or $75 a person for an entire day in Magic Kingdom? $250 a seat to see The Police from the front row or $75 a person to wander around Epcot all day?

No brainer ...
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I still think that Disney charges far too much. Yes, the quality is good and you get a good amount of food for your money in most cases, but it's still a budget buster for some of us. I mean, geez, I've got to save for months just to be able to eat for a week! That's nuts! However, in comparsion to other parks and such that I have been to, when you compare food quality and costs, Disney does come out on top.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

You are sooo right!! Its just the fact that when at WDW its stretched out over a week or so. So, when all is said and done its seem very expensive!

Having taken our kids to events such as Ringling Brothers (BTW, the one we saw was terrible and was NOT worth the price) I would much rather spend my $$ at WDW!
    Melissa

4/87 offsite, 3/05 AKL, 10/06 WL, 3/08 GF, 1/09 WL, 3/09 Poly, 10/09 SSR, 1/10 AKV, 10/10 BLT, 12/10 AKV, 2/11 Poly, 5/11 BCV, 10/11 BLT, 12/11 WL, 5/12 1st Cruise on the Dream & BWV, 10/12 BLT!

"...That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." Walt Disney

mttafire Guest

This topic gets brought up quite a bit. As stated earlier i feel that Disney is a VERY good value. We are about as middle class as you can get. We travel to Disney with relative ease every 2-3 years. However, Some folks can only afford to goto Disney once every 5 years or even once a lifetime and some will NEVER be able to go...Thats OK. We would love to goto Hawai'i but we will probably just go as a retirement gift to me when i retire from the fire service. It simply cost to much.Disney doesnt have to be affordable to everyone. Besides, If i cant afford something, It's MY responsibility. I chose firefighting as a livelyhood. Because of this some things may not be in reach. Bottom line... A Disney vacation is a great value. Regards, Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

DH & I have had this discussion a couple of times, and although we agree that Disney is expensive, it isn't outrageous, and to us, it is worth every penny.

Although we have to save to take a trip, we never feel like we've been ripped-off, and always decide that we've had good value for our $$.

Last night, we went on a date night to the OMNIMAX, it was $25 for two of us to see a 45-minute movie...and then dinner...amazing how it adds up so quickly, no matter what you do!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We live only about a half hour away from 6Flags Great Adventure, but I will only go there once a season. We even get free passes, b/c mom-in-law works there, but for me, once is more than enough. We had to pay FIFTEEN dollars to park!! I think we dropped around $30 for a Nathan's lunch of hot dogs and fries. It's so crowded, and not exactly clean. I'd much rather take my money to the boardwalk. Cheaper to park there, too.

To me, 6 Flags is only worth a visit once a year, even with free passes. WDW, on the other hand, LOL is much further away but I managed to get us there for 2 trips this year! Think you all know where I'd rather spend my money!!
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Disney is definately not cheap, but compared to some things out there it has some very good prices. Sure, the prices have gone up over the years, but so has the demand for tickets gone up.

Even with having to pay more employees, pay for more accomidations, and resources, Disney still manages to keep its price relatively managable for all that it gives.
    "We are not now that strength which in old days, Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,-- One equal temper of heroic hearts, Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will, To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
    -"Ulysses" A. Tennyson

Post Thanks / Like

Here's our comparison. We went to Atlanta for DD's birthday to attend the grand opening of the American Girl store.We got there Friday evening and left mid-morning on Sunday. Got a good deal on the hotel (CTYD) that included free breakfast. Ate Two suppers and had lunch at the American Girl Bistro (including birthday cake) Also visited the Aquarium. Not including the American Girl Doll and dresses (DD used birthday money for some of this), we still spent over $600. While we loved every minute of the trip, I was very surprised when DH (who is not as nuts about WDW as the rest of us) turned to me and said, "You know, we'd have gotten more for our money at Disney."

We have always said, it's not cheap, but you never feel ripped off. I can't say the same at many, many other attractions.
    Daytrip 2001
    HI FamilySuites (now Nick Hotel) 2003
    POR - 2005
    WL 2006, 2007

Cabins 2008
    Jan. '10 DS turns 5 - quick trip with Mommy at ASMo
    June '10 Grand Gathering at the Cabins
    Fall '11 POP last minute surprise
    Summer 2012 Beach Club and Cars Art of Animation

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyJayhawk View Post
    I've posted my thoughts before on my belief that Disney dining prices are actually cheaper than many other entertainment venues (other theme parks specifically), with larger portions and much higher quality.

See: http://www.intercot.com/discussion/s...ad.php?t=78939

After a visit to Ringling Bros. yesterday, I was reminded of that prior discussion. Not only is Disney dining a better value than that of other events/destinations, but the dollar to enjoyment ratio is much greater as well. At the circus, I dropped $30 per person for a two hour show, $7 per box of popcorn, and $10 (yes ten) per bag of cotton candy. I resisted the pleas from my 5 year old for a lighted-spinny-thingy as they were $20.

Again, Disney isn't cheap, but dollar for dollar has got to be one of the best values in family entertainment/vacationing.
    I agree that Disney is a bargain. We used to have Astroworld here in Houston and I always felt ripped off. It was expensive, dirty, and the food was poor quality and small portions. Disneyworld is worth every penny spent!

Post Thanks / Like

disclaimer-- the post below is in no way meant to be a political statement of any kind.

It's the good old laws of supply and demand. I wish I could remember back to my economics class 25 years ago what the curve is called. Basically, if they charge to much people will stay away and they will lose money. If they charge too little, too many people will go and the parks will be so crowded that no one will have a good time and they won't return, or they'll complain, etc. So their is some method to their madness, but remember in this capitalist society we can vote with our checkbook or with our absence. My guess is most of us on here vote with our checkbook-- or in my case a Disney Visa.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

This is a great topic. In short, I think Disney is a great value when you take advantage of their special discounts, eat free specials, etc. If I didn't get the FL resident specials I would not be able to afford it as I am a single parent.

We also have the luxury of being able to go to DTD if we just want to get a little "magic" and not have to pay any admission to any parks. All it costs is the gas (1 tank), food and a couple purchases from the stores and we have a fantastic day!
    Visted Disney World since 1975
    Disney treehouses 1980's
    All-Star Movies 1990's

All-Star Music 2000-2005
    All-Star Movies March 2007
    Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa June 2007
    All-Star Movies 11/07

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

Disney can quickly eat up your cash but so can other tourist areas/attractions. I don't think Disney is cheaper than other amusement parks but I think it is equal in price. Any tourist places I've ever gone have been more expensive than prices at home.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    It's the good old laws of supply and demand. I wish I could remember back to my economics class 25 years ago what the curve is called.
    You mean the supply and demand curve? Cause that's what my macroeconomic professor calls it. And you are right about the concept. That's how all things work.

I compare Disney to Universal since I work at one and have a seasonal pass to the other. Universal says it's cheaper for a 2 day ticket there than a one day park hopper at Disney. Yes, it is. Why? Universal has 2 parks, Disney has 4. So you actually don't have as good of a value there.

It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, it was $13-15 to park at Universal. Disney is $11.

Burger at Universal $9, Disney $7. Coke at Universal $3, Disney $2.

My family isn't the greatest and it's technically a single parent family and my mother is self employed so she scrapes by. But even we manage to save money for a trip to Disney by watching where we spent money. And it's even better now that I work here.

I think it's good that Disney isn't affordable to everyone and yet I know it really wasn't what Walt wanted it to be. I just think it would be abused if it was easy for everyone to go to (and I'm thinking of several people back home who I'm glad to say could never get here - trust me on this).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I mean would you rather drop $125 a person for a 3 hour football game or $75 a person for an entire day in Magic Kingdom? $250 a seat to see The Police from the front row or $75 a person to wander around Epcot all day?

No brainer ...
    It's even better when you plan ahead, purchase 10 day no expiration passes with the water park option, and pay just over 20.00 per day per person for all that park time! Now that's a bargain! Plus when you use them for multiple trips you protect yourself against inevitable price increases.
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merlinmagic4 View Post
    It's even better when you plan ahead, purchase 10 day no expiration passes with the water park option, and pay just over 20.00 per day per person for all that park time! Now that's a bargain! Plus when you use them for multiple trips you protect yourself against inevitable price increases.
    I'm not sure where you got your numbers, but 10 day No Exp. w/Water Park Fun & More is $455, or $45.40 /day. 10 day base tickets - no options - is $225, or $22.50/day.

In any event, the price of a WDW park ticket is a good deal, in my estimation, just for the stress relief once or twice a year. A heck of a lot cheaper than going to a therapist!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: