Quantcast Replacements that are IMPROVEMENTS? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Soarn', other then the fact that it has mad The Land pavillion soooo crazy.

I know that many will disagree with me on this, but I feel that the improvments they have made to Pirates are great.
    I was worried that they would destroy the ride by adding all the new things, but I was pleasently surprised. All of the additions add to the ride, they don't take away.
    "Tomorrow's child... seeing that knowledge keeps growing"
    Over 20 WDW trips and counting.
    Resorts stayed at: The Disney Inn, Swan, POR, CS, YC, CB, Contemp., Poly, GF, SSR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    DisneyNut2005 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tomorrowschild View Post
    I know that many will disagree with me on this, but I feel that the improvments they have made to Pirates are great.
    I was worried that they would destroy the ride by adding all the new things, but I was pleasently surprised. All of the additions add to the ride, they don't take away.
    Don't worry. I love the Pirates changes too.

I also love the enhancements that were made to It's a Small World and The Haunted Mansion as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tomorrowschild View Post
    I agree with Soarn', other then the fact that it has mad The Land pavillion soooo crazy.

I agree totally. I didn't like them at first, but they've grown on me quite a bit.

I also like the updates to IASW and I'm sure I'll like the HM updates when I see them, too.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

These threads ALWAYS seem to rub someone the wrong way...

I don't think it is the least bit disrespectful of anyone's opinion for someone to say that they think any of these newer attractions are NOT an improvement over the attractions they replaced.

Who is being disrespected if I say my family definitely preferred the original JII? Or that we wish the TIKI Room had be left alone? Or that we loved Horizons and World of Motion and wish they were still here?

People are expressing their OPINIONS here, it would be pretty boring if everybody's opinions were the same, would it? That's why these are called discussion boards; so people can DISCUSS their opinions in a friendly manner.

Just my

Time to get off the
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like

Winnie-the- Pooh wins over Toad
    Soarin' over Food Rocks
    HISTA over Captain Eo
    Mickey's Toontown Fair over Mickey's Starland
    Snow Whites Scary Adventures over original
    Laugh Floor over Timekeeper
    Circle of Life over Symbiosis
    Seas with Nemo over Sea Cabs
    Reflections of China over Wonders of China
    Mickey's Philharmagic by a nose over Legend of the Lion King.

Haven't seen the new Oh ! Canada nor the new and improved Haunted Mansion ,but I'm sure they are winners. I am , however ,holding my breath on the yet-to-be-finished Spaceship Earth.

Test Track and Buzz are pretty much dead heats , but if I had the chance to bring World of Motion or If You Had Wings or Dreamflight back ,I would. Gran Fiesta Tour is passable.

I also think that the upgrades on the Starjets , Dumbo , it's a small world , and Pirates are improvements.

But , alas , JII -3 , M:S, Tiki Birds , Sounds Dangerous , Stitch , Image Works , and Backstage Tour are all backslides , ( in my opinion , of course. ) Funny thing is ,all these attractions would be fine if they were originals , with nothing to compare them to. As replacements , they just don't hold up to the originals.

" Everybody's got a laughin' place "

Steve

Trips to Walt Disney World : many !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hubbyofadisneyholic View Post
    These threads ALWAYS seem to rub someone the wrong way...

I don't think it is the least bit disrespectful of anyone's opinion for someone to say that they think any of these newer attractions are NOT an improvement over the attractions they replaced.

Who is being disrespected if I say my family definitely preferred the original JII? Or that we wish the TIKI Room had be left alone? Or that we loved Horizons and World of Motion and wish they were still here?

People are expressing their OPINIONS here, it would be pretty boring if everybody's opinions were the same, would it? That's why these are called discussion boards; so people can DISCUSS their opinions in a friendly manner.

Just my

Time to get off the

This is an opinion thread. People will disagree. There has not been one disrespectful post here.

Anyway, I think the improvements are:
    Soarin;
    Buzz
    Expedition: Everest (whilst not a replacement, it is an addition!)
    Ellen's Energy Adventure

And well.. I just lost all my thoughts so... yeah.. those will do for now!
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

For the record, I certainly didn't mind Ian's disagreeing with me.
    I expected more heat, actually.

I'll say that although JITI with Dreamfinder was pretty, it ( like most of Epcot's original attractions) seemed to me very dated. It's first rehab was awful, I agree, but I like the new one, and more importantly, my daughter likes it.

The same for Stitch.
    I have found memories of Mission to Mars as a kid, but it was very dated.
    Alien Encounter was fun once, but definately not for the young.
    Stitch, however, is one of my (now 8 year old) daughter's favorites. In a couple of years it won't be I'm sure.
    Stich is a success because it appeals to young kids who don't have much to enjoy in Tommorowland ( and I bet it helps sell a lot of merch too.)

That's my OPINION, just like Ian had his, and like you all have yours.

Isn't great that we can disagree?
    FatherForce
    91 - Off site
    94 - Dixie Landings
    95 - Wilderness Lodge
    97 - Grand Floridian
    01 - Boardwalk/Animal Kingdom Lodge
    03 - AKL/Polynesian
    04 - AKL/All Star Movies
    05 - Grand Californian
    06 - WL/3 Day Disney Cruise
    07- Dixie Landings (PORS)
    09 - Ploy
    Jan 7-12 2013 - CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks, Father Force. I appreciate your respect and tolerance for dissenting opinions.

And for the record, if I evaluated these attractions through the eyes of my kids (as Father Force did), my answers would have been very different.

I was speaking strictly from a Disney-purist/adult point of view. My DD LOVES the Stitch attraction (and I'm sure DS will, too, when he's old enough for it). She also loves Test Track and some of the other attractions I slammed.

Although, even she hates JIYI!
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

DisneyNut2005 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Thanks, Father Force. I appreciate your respect and tolerance for dissenting opinions.

And for the record, if I evaluated these attractions through the eyes of my kids (as Father Force did), my answers would have been very different.

I was speaking strictly from a Disney-purist/adult point of view. My DD LOVES the Stitch attraction (and I'm sure DS will, too, when he's old enough for it). She also loves Test Track and some of the other attractions I slammed.

Although, even she hates JIYI!
    Well, it certainly doesn't hurt to try seeing things through the eyes of others.

Also, I guess it's probably best that we agree to disagree.

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO.....
    If You Had Wings was fun, and I have great memories...but I enjoy Buzz more.

Horizons never had a line....yet millions miss it. I do too. It was a "Must Do"....but so is Mission Space.

I have ridden the new POTC, and it is great! Looking forward to the improvements (?) they have made to HM.

Love Mickey's Philharmagic...wasn't happy when they shut down Mickey Mouse Revue....but think they got it right this time.

World of Motion also had Incredible Shrinking Lines before it was replaced. It was never a "Must Do" I do enjoy TT.

I was disappointed with the original Living Seas Hydrolators...Nemo ride must be an upgrade.

Enjoyed Laugh Floor. Will not miss Timekeeper, as I didn't miss CircleVision 360.

Stitch is my least favorite replacement....but I was not a fan of Alien nor of Mission to Mars. IMHO, only useful function that building serves is as a support structure for TTA.

I visit Walt Dated World from time to time....not to mourn, but to visit.....they may be gone, but they ain't dead while my mind, and my memories, exist.
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously, Pooh's Playful Spot is a HUGE improvement over 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

Seriously, Philharmagic is an improvement over the old Lion King attraction that was there.

I prefer Buzz Lightyear to If You Had Wings/Dreamflight.

I'd rather Winnie the Pooh than Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (I rode Mr. Toad's Wild Ride in May at DL... it really hasn't aged well).
    Geaux Tigers!

Last Trip: Honeymoon at DL and So. Cal. CityPass 5/27 - 6/2/2007

Next trip: WDW 9/6-12/2009 @ Pop for DD's 4th birthday!

Follow the trip on Twitter: scottinwdw.

Post Thanks / Like

Horizons never had a line....yet millions miss it. I do too. It was a "Must Do"....but so is Mission Space.

[/QUOTE]

I have to make one comment on this , since it seems to come up every so often.

Many people think that Horizons was removed because of poor attendance . Not true. It was removed because the building was falling apart. That , and the fact that Disney was under pressure to come up with some more thrill rides.

The thing is , because Horizons was a continual loader , it made it seem that it wasn't busy. When in fact , it's throughput was among the highest on property.

If you asked most people which ride in WDW has the highest attendance right now , very few people would even consider Spaceship Earth. Yet , it is the most attended ride in WDW. It was the same way for If You Had Wings and still is for the TTA. These rides usually are/were walk-ons , because they are continual loaders ,so therefore very easy to get on.

Sorry this was way off subject , but I felt the urge to inject ....

" Everybody's got a laughin' place "

Steve

Trips to Walt Disney World : many !

Post Thanks / Like

The only improvements I can think of are:

1. Mickey's Philarmagic - It's interesting to note that this attraction combines elements of all the previous attractions that operated in the same spot. A 3-D (Magic Journeys) musical revue (The Mickey Mouse Revue) that contains songs from a number of Disney films including The Lion King (Legend of the Lion King).

2. Soarin' - I'm not really a big fan of Soarin', however, I think it's an improvement over Food Rocks, which was IMHO a supbar revision of Kitchen Kabaret.

3. Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin - I think Buzz fits in Tomorrowland better and is slightly more interesting than its predecessor Dreamflight/Take Flight. Still there are times where I wish I could ride on Dreamflight.

For the most part, I think most replacements fail to match the quality of their predecessors.

Post Thanks / Like

Test Track is a heck of a lot better than World of Motion. Soarin is much better than whatever was there!
    *1993-CBR
    *1995-Dixie Landings
    *1999-2002 OKW (3 times)
    *2003-BCV(got engaged)
    *2005-Poly Concierge(honeymoon)
    *2007-AllStar Music(expecting 1st child)
    *2008- OKW (w/1st child)
    *2012-AKL villas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WEDTOPIA View Post

Many people think that Horizons was removed because of poor attendance . Not true. It was removed because the building was falling apart. That , and the fact that Disney was under pressure to come up with some more thrill rides.

The thing is , because Horizons was a continual loader , it made it seem that it wasn't busy. When in fact , it's throughput was among the highest on property.

I knew about the structural problem...I didn't realize know about the throughput....Horizons my most missed attraction. But Mission Space is also a Must Do....My druthers are that both be there....but I suspect the cost of redoing Horizons makes the beancounters cring. I guess my final put is that I hate what they did with the place....while I love what they did with the place!

btw....Tigers or Gamecocks? And how about Wofford!
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

For the record, I certainly didn't mind Ian's disagreeing with me.
    I expected more heat, actually.

My first thought was, "actually that is pretty mild for Ian." Love ya Ian!

To be honest I haven't seen many originals as I've only been going since 2002. I am really really really hoping that the Spaceship Earth rehab ends up being a positive as I truly love that ride.

~Amanda
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Septbride2002 View Post

My first thought was, "actually that is pretty mild for Ian." Love ya Ian!
    Hey, now ... with friends like you I don't need enemies, Amanda!
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdwfansince75 View Post
    btw....Tigers or Gamecocks?
    Check my sig.

Edit: Oh... you mean Clemson... nevermind.
    Last edited by scoot241; 09-26-2007 at 05:38 PM. Reason: grand realization
    Geaux Tigers!

Last Trip: Honeymoon at DL and So. Cal. CityPass 5/27 - 6/2/2007

Next trip: WDW 9/6-12/2009 @ Pop for DD's 4th birthday!

Follow the trip on Twitter: scottinwdw.

Post Thanks / Like

While I miss some of the old ones, if only for memory sake, I think I would give the new/replacement attractions an overall A- and at worst a B+. I am glad they don't let things get too out dated and they try to improve things. I do hope they never replace the Carousel of Progress.

If I could get rid of one the replacements it would be Stich! That was such a total waste of time. No one liked it in my family from 5 yrs of age to 40ish olds! Terrible. It is a shame they spent so much money on it.

I love the new Living Seas, Soarin, & Nemo show!
    Dawna
    TTA Traveler

Feb. 1989 - Honeymoon Offsite
    Feb. 2004 - Contemporary
    June 2005 - Coronado Springs/Swan
    Feb. 2006 - Downtown Disney
    April 2007 - Boardwalk
    October Food & Wine 2007 Boardwalk Villas
    Jan. 2008 - Boardwalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTAtravler View Post
    If I could get rid of one the replacements it would be Stich! That was such a total waste of time. No one liked it in my family from 5 yrs of age to 40ish olds! Terrible. It is a shame they spent so much money on it.
    It may make you feel a little bit better to know that they didn't spend that much money on Stitch because most of the attraction pieces (seats, pre-show animatronics, etc.) were already there as part of Alien Encounter.

To answer the topic:

1. Soarin' over Food Rocks even though I'm not as big of a fan of Soarin' as so many others seem to be.

2. Philharmagic over Legend of the Lion King

3. Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor over Timekeeper

4. Pirates of the Caribbean updates over original

5. Haunted Mansion updates over original

I consider Mission: Space to be a great replacement even though I miss Horizons and would love to have it back.

I'm sure there are others that just aren't coming to mind right now.
    I'm a dad! My daughter, Eisley, was born on December 17, 2010.

Regular WDW visitor since 1981

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: