Quantcast which fireworks cruise is best?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default which fireworks cruise is best?

For our upcoming trip in march ive decided to book a fireworks cruise.Which is sure to have my kids flipping out!(shh its a secret!)Now the question is Wishes or Illuminations? which would you do and why?
    Wickedwitch

Port Orleans Riverside-December 2006
    Port Orleans Riverside-October2007
    All Star Movies -April 2008
    All Star Movies- May 2009-Can't wait!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Because the availability is so limited, the hardest part of your plan will be in actually snagging a reservation for either of the cruises!

I haven't done the Illuminations one but did greatly enjoy the Wishes cruise a few years ago.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Are you going with a grand gathering? If so the wishes cruise availble with that is lovely!!

Lots of fun and jokes and treats etc.

If not I guess it would much depend on which of the two shows are your faves.
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

BelleBeauty Guest

From what I have heard around Intercot, the Wishes cruise is your best bet. I have heard so-so reviews of the Illuminations crusie, and even tough I think this one would be amazing since you are so close, I think their is better viewing to be had on land. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Illuminations

A few years back there was no Wishes fireworks (Fantasy In The Sky back then) and I don't know if they had a cruise for that, but everybody seemed to be posting how great the Illuminations cruise is. Okay, so now I'm going to try it and now it's a has-been? Please make up your minds for me!

Reflections of Earth is my favorite fireworks show. We were married last year at the Boardwalk and "Promise" (which plays just after the fireworks, after "We Go On") was "our song" for it. I like MK, but I really like World Showcase, especially at night with everything lit up and the torches, etc. So it seemed a no-brainer to go for the RoE cruise. Plus, it's inside the park (although at the Int'l Gateway bridge). I have a hard time getting excited about being outside MK in Seven Seas Lagoon or Bay Lake to watch the fireworks. I just could never not be in there (hope the double negative didn't throw anyone off). Maybe it looks nice from the beach at Poly or CA Grill on 15th floor ... but I'd want to be on Main Street too bad to enjoy any other place. Does this make any sense or am I nuts?

We are having a magical/grand gathering - one that I wanted for a few years now. And I wanted something great for the first night. It's also our first time trying the dining plan and I always wanted to try the Rose & Crown. Rather than trying to get window seats for 10, I think I came up with a good idea. So the plan is to go to the Boardwalk after check-in and take the family thru IG for a 6:30PM dinner (to give us enough time) at R&C... then go back and - hey, look, a boat! Let's get on! Oh look, a birthday cake (two birthdays will take place that week)! I had been at a loss as to how to introduce WDW to some of the family that had never been there or not been there in decades. Everyone is just sooo expecting MK that I wanted to wait a lil' tiny bit.

What are the pro's/con's of either cruise? At this point I don't want to change. I war-dialed at 6:5xAM last month on the 90-day mark and I still didn't get through! When I was connected to a CM 6 mins later I kinda knew people got in ahead of me. I had multiple phone lines going (staggered seconds apart)! WHAT DOES IT TAKE? I was bummed and called a few days later to see what else there was and they had an opening! It's a Saturday night reservation - could it be more popular? I'm not sure if the usual day of the week thinking applies when you leave the regular world and enter The [WD] World. But anyhow I snagged it and now Wishes is better? Can't be, can it?

Post Thanks / Like

Hands down, the Illuminations cruise is my families favorite. Because of the limited space available for the boats though, only 5 or 6 pontoons can be rented per evening. That makes it one very tough ticket. For some reason, Epcot always feels packed to me during Illuminations and it's so nice not having to deal with crowds.

For Wishes, I personally like being in the park, standing somewhere near the central hub section. In terms of the Wishes cruise, because they stop out in the lake, they can offer more pontoon boats. It's a little easier to get a Wishes cruise reservation. I don't believe all the boats come equipped with the sound system, so that may be something you want to request.

GuestoftheMasterControlProgram, you will not be disappointed with the Illuminations cruise. The only thing I'd be concerned about is giving yourself enough time for dinner and then getting back to the marina. I'm pretty sure you meet the driver at 8:15, which leaves you less than 90 minutes for dinner (you should factor a minimum of 20 minutes to get from the R&C to BW). If you get seated closer to 7:00, then you might be rushing a bit. You may want to schedule the Rose and Crown either earlier or for another evening (especially if you are using up a day off your park passes just for dinner). When we do our Illuminations cruise, we usually have an early dinner at the Yachtsman Steakhouse and meet our driver at the YC marina.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

The primary complaints that I've heard about the Illuminations cruise are that it's hard to book since the space is so limited, the boats are crowded together, so there's no privacy, and that if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction, the smoke from the fireworks may blow at you (not much you can do about the direction the wind blows).

The primary complaints that I've heard about the Wishes cruise are that you can't always hear the music (apparently some boats have the music, and some don't), that some of the lowest fireworks may be slightly obscured, and that you aren't close enough (this is particularly true whenever it is a 'party' night because they set off fireworks around the perimeter of the park and you don't get as close as on 'regular' nights).

'Guest', I'd stick with what you've got.
    Rhonda

Post Thanks / Like

I've taken both cruises in the past 2 years.

A few notes:
    We love Illuminations as a show
    We enjoy Wishes, but don't love it

As for the Cruises, Wishes is the far better experience! You see all the MK resorts and the old Discovery Island (not to mention River Country). Then you get to see the Electrical Water Pageant FROM the Water! A very cool experience.

We found the Illumiations Cruise to be disappointing. Although we were the first boat (#1 in line), we still did not have a "great view" for Illuminations; you can't see the globe for the entire show, missing some key points. You have a better view from the bridge above you... and that's FREE.

The one thing I would HIGHLY recommend is to get the Wishes Cruise with the SOUND pumped in. Worth EVERY PENNY you spend, as I couldn't imagine the show without the music.
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

I was begining to wonder about not being able to see all of the fireworks b/c of the bridge, but I wasn't expecting the globe to be an issue. Are we completely under the bridge or mostly under it? Do any fireworks get cut off (thinking that the higher they are then maybe the bridge will block the view when we look up)? Can the globe be seen more of the time if we aren't first?

As for timing, yes, I was thinking about the issue. Since I am not sure what time we will check in (never had a party of 10, it may take longer to round up people and get them moving - let alone the issues of driving from NJ and making stops etc etc). Since there seems to not be a table for ten, I want to get there early to eat anyhow so we can wait for two ajoining tables. But on the other hand, I don't want to reserve for a time too early for us to make it. My (now) wife and I can get from NJ to GA by around midnight, often close to the FL border. I have a feeling that trying to get to lower SC or upper GA (like Savannah) might be pushing it ... and then I have to factor in getting everyone back on the road. And It'd be nice to stop at the premier outlet for them to get some discount items w/o wondering "should I wait until we go to the outlet b/c maybe they will have it cheaper?" before check-in. Then we have to check in. And last trip w/ the in-laws was our first for Pop Century and we saw a longer check-in that afternoon than I ever saw at All Stars. So... getting back to the point... if we can get to the Boardwalk before 6PM then we can get to Rose & Crown early and get out and back to BW & Y&BC area in time w/o rushing. The slowest of the bunch will have ECVs so they won't actually be the slowest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 'Guest' of the MasterControlProgram View Post
    I was begining to wonder about not being able to see all of the fireworks b/c of the bridge, but I wasn't expecting the globe to be an issue. Are we completely under the bridge or mostly under it? Do any fireworks get cut off (thinking that the higher they are then maybe the bridge will block the view when we look up)? Can the globe be seen more of the time if we aren't first?
    We were the first boat to tie up - and were directly under the bridge. We had no problem viewing the fireworks, as our upward vision was unobstructed. It was more of the horizontal line of sight that was out of view - meaning left and right.

We were really surprised that the view wasn't "awesome!" We've seen Illuminations dozens of times - and for us, this was probably one of the worst views we ever had of the show.

Now many will disagree with me, I'm sure.

The best thing about the Illumination's Cruise was no crowd when leaving! We simply got off at the marina; staying at the BW, this was great! But for others, this did lead to another problem - transportation back to your resort. Unless you're in an EPCOT resort, you'll take a bus to DTD to get a bus back to your resort. They wouldn't let any of our party back into EPCOT to get to the front of the park for buses.
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

I have anticipated not being able to get into Epcot after the cruise, being that we will get off the boat at the hotels and then would have to enter Epcot thru IG - which, as said, will be closed (exit only traffic).

We went to ESPN a few years back to watch the sunday game and meet some other Intercot board members from our area that were at WDW during the same time frame. The security guard at the parking lot gate said we could park in the lot across the street since we'd be awhile. So my plan is to tell 'em that we are there to eat and take a cruise - and thus park in that lot so as not to take away from those that should enjoy quicker access to shopping at the Boardwalk. Since we are staying at a WDW resort and have free parking anyway, and b/c of the situation explained to us before, and b/c the cruise does not require us to step foot on Epcot soil technically, I feel my conscience is clear ... but I do expect that there will be some who feel we should park in the Epcot lot and take multiple busses anyhow. With some of our group in ECVs, I feel that is going waaayyy out of our way. I mean, we could drive to DTD and take the bus to/from Boardwalk, but that doesn't seem to make much sense. But I am correct about the lot across the road (sorta behind the gas station I'd think - but I'd have to see a sat.map to be sure), no?

Post Thanks / Like

MaleficentsDad, i'm sorry that your Illuminations experience was not the best. We've done it a few times and haven't had any problem with seeing the globe. Perhaps it's where our boat was parked (I don't believe we've ever had that 1st spot) or there was some reason why the globe was positioned differently. That's a lot of money to pay and not be satisfied.

Guest, I don't think you should have any problem parking at the BW. There is more of an open lot across the street near the gas station and for a few extra dollars, you can take advantage of valet. I believe if you have a handicapped access pass, then valet is free and you'd only need to worry about the tip. Typically those resorts near a park entrance will limit parking for guests of other Disney resorts to 3 hours. From the sounds of your plans, you'd be right around that window anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Tammi,
    We didn't "hate" the Illuminations Cruise, in fact, we did enjoy ourselves. We just prefered the Wishes Cruise - by a lot! Illuminations is our favorite show in WDW, just not the cruise.
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent's Dad View Post
    Tammi,
    We didn't "hate" the Illuminations Cruise, in fact, we did enjoy ourselves.
    I understood that from your post. I just felt bad that you paid quite a bit of money for a partially obstructed view.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent's Dad View Post

The best thing about the Illumination's Cruise was no crowd when leaving! We simply got off at the marina; staying at the BW, this was great.
    To true!!! The boat we were on for our illumintions dropped us off at Int'l gateway and we walked thru EPCOT again. It was great.
    Tracy șOș

1995 Grand Floridian for honeymoon
    2004 Polynesian LVC (three kids later)
    2005 Beach Club
    2006 Polynesian, Tonga!!
    2008 Polynesian
    figured out the secret...
    2008 DVC member AKV

2009 Saratoga Springs/ Boardwalk Villa
    2009 VWL/ AKV... 2 trips in 1 year..love my DVC!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: