Quantcast Infants in Theme Parks - a Good Idea? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it boils down to the individual/family. My family never went when my little sis and I were young (we were 10 and 11 the first time we went). My parents didn't see the point of taking us when they would have had to haul us around, when we would not have been able to enjoy all the attractions/rides, and when we were of an age that wouldn't necessarily remember it... basically it would have been too big of an inconvenience for everyone involved.

Now do I think that everyone should wait to take their kids...NO. That is their opinion and choice. Will I ever take my kids when they are young, probably not. I sortof share the same opinion as my parents. But then that is just MY opinion/decision. And trust me, when i get stuck next to a screaming child that the parents don't feel obligated to calm, I wonder if it was the best decision for them. But then, that is their decision and I just move on.
    Aubree

Disney Trips:

01/10 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    02/05 - Port Orleans - Riverside
    03/01- Polynesian
    11/97 - Polynesian
    11/91 - Off-site

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

DH doesn't want to bring our future baby to WDW while they're still a baby. We talked about it a few months ago, there might have been an age, I don't remember. I think each family is different and I just hope that everyone is safe. I agree that it changes once there's an older sibling and a baby, but when I was younger my parents wouldn't take us to WDW until we were older. There was talk about going when I was 3 (I am the baby in the family) but I didn't actually get to go until I was 6. DH on the other hand had his first trip when he was just a toddler, around 2 years old, and he turned out just fine. I don't want to take an infant to the park because I would worry about their safety with all the crowds and germs and heat and just plain being so far from home at that age. But I'm not a mother yet and can't speak from experience.
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

You know, it doesn't matter whether it is WDW or any other place, there will always be parents that don't exactly make the right decisions for their children. But the majority of mothers know what is good for their children and what isn't and won't do anything to intentionally harm them just so that they can do what they want themselves. Mothers are very protective of their young by nature. We took our two girls to DL when one was 5 and the other had just turned 1. The 5 year old had a blast with her Dad while the one year old and I watched and enjoyed and rode the things she was able to go on. She still has her Pooh that we bought her 30 years later as does the older one have her original Mickey. They love them and love the memories of playing with them all those years. We have recently taken all of our DGKs ranging in ages from 6 mo. to 15 to WDW and everyone has enjoyed. We did not keep any out past their endurance. Our youngest DD did not want to take her children until they were over 3, which was her choice. But she did end up taking her 3 yr. old and 1 yr. old this year on a short trip to MK. They loved it and I wouldn't have missed the DGS's reaction to all the characters for the world. It is something he will always remember. The youngest one may not remember it but we will when we look at the pictures of him pinching Mickey's nose or touching Tigger. There aren't many places you can take your children these days that is as much fun for the adults as the children and as safe as WDW. We will enjoy it as long as we can, no matter what the age.

By the way, this says this is my 100th post, whoo hoo!, but something is wrong with the counter because I posted about 4 times yesterday and each one said number 99. Oh, well, 100 now!
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

My nephew will be 7 weeks and 6 days when we go at the end of the month. Will he have fun? Well, he's only little so who knows? It's not like he can talk yet and tell us what he wants to do. As long as he is fed and changed, he's happy. Is the trip for him? Heck no, it's for us. Is this the only time he'll ever go? Not a chance! His brother was only 2.5 when he went the first time and he had a ball. And we were those people you see out late with the kid. But he's a night owl. He'll stay up till midnite here at home if he can. And if he's tired, he'll fall asleep in the stroller. Did he have fun the first time? Absolutely!
    șoșKathyșoș TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

We didn't start taking our boys to Disney until they were 7 and 8 years old, so I have never been with an infant or toddler. I can tell you, however, that every time I see an exhausted overheated, bored screaming baby, I say "Thank God, that's not me"!
    Before Kids:
    Off-Site - September/91 & September/92

With Kids:
    Off-site - November/03 & September/05
    FREE DINING:
    POP Century - Aug/Sept/06 (w/ my parents)
    POP Century - Aug/Sept/07
    POP Century - Aug/Sept/08 (w/Bro's family)
    POP Century - Sept/09 (NO KIDS!!!!!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
    The first time I went to WDW I was 9 months old, do I remember it? no, do my parents? you bet they do! They still talk about how Pirates was my first ride and how much I smiled during Dumbo. I'm proud of being indoctrinated to WDW at such a young age and I'm happy to know I litterally cannot remember a time before the magic touched my life. I'm sure my parents were responsible for my well being in the parks, but for arguements sake, even if they did keep me out to 1am, I obviously suffered no lasting side effects (except for Disney obsession ). I love seeing children in the park, even infants. I think that is part of what makes Disney so special is that everyone, from babies to grandparents can come together and have the times of thier lives (even if neither of them remember it). I can't wait to have children and take them to the parks and introduce them to something that has been such a positive force in my life. I'm certainly not going to waste years waiting until they are old enough to remember, because even if they don't remember with thier mind, they'll hold the memories in thier hearts forever.
    Beautifully said!
    Jane Agnes Banks
    I was aka Agnes in VMK

"Course heading, Captain?"
    "Second star to the right... and straight on 'til morning."
    --Chekov and Kirk
    The Undiscovered Country

Post Thanks / Like

My oldest daughter is now 5. Her first trip was when she was 2 and this Oct will be her 8th time to WDW. Does she remember her first trip? Very little of it, but she does remember some of it. Do my wife and I remember her first trip? Every single second of it! We love every trip to WDW but nothing will ever top my daughters first trip. Watching her take in everything for the first time, I wish she was 2 every time we went. My youngest will be 7 months when we go in Oct. Am I expecting her to get anything out of it? No but, we will be traveling as a FAMILY to the happiset place on earth. To each is own.
    Planned for 2015, SSR in June, BWV in July
    14 AKL & BCV
    13 WLV & BCV & SSR
    12 AKV, BCV, POFQ
    11 Akv, BCV, SSR
    10 AKV, BCV, WLV
    09 AKV, BCV,POFQ
    08 BWV, WL & BC
    07 OKW
    06 SSR, OKW, BC, PR & DVC
    05 AKL, CBR, WL & HARDROCK
    04 CS & DISNEYLAND
    98 CS
    77, 87, 94 OFF SITE

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

My DH and I took our 2 1/2 year old to Disneyland Paris when we were stationed in Europe. I might have waited til he was older if we had been stateside, but the opportunity to see DLP was there are we grabbed it with both hands and we had a wonderful time. We did it at a time of year when the sun wasnt blistering down on us. He was in a child backpack a good portion of time. With a sunshade and a hat on as well. And I can prove he had a ball because from that height he had a birds eye view of everything and was grinning from ear to ear. He enjoyed the day trip so much that 6 months later we booked a 4 day trip there and had even more fun. We just factored in quiet time and nap time and snack time and it was great! So no, I don't think the little ones should be left behind if at all possible.
    Disneyland every summer of my childhood!
    Disneyland Paris May 2003
    All Star Movies - February 2004
    All Star Sports - August 2006
    Pop Century - January 2007
    THE MOUSE RULES!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,
    Not taking a young-one to a Disney park because they wouldn't remember it, is like, not taking a vitamin because you can't taste it.
    If we can't enjoy something like Disney, as a family, I think our country is in real trouble.
    Ask yourself this; would Walt tell you to leave a child out of a Disney vacation? In his opening day ceremony, didn't he say " I built Walt Disneyland for children and grownups of all ages to enjoy"
    Temblackwell
    I won the "Name the crocodile" contest.
    Anyone want a slightly used Pygmy war canoe?

1984 WDW-first trip
    1998 DLR
    July 2003 CBR
    Nov 2004 POP Century
    2005 DLR- Paradise Pier
    2009/2010 DLR- Halloween Party
    April 2011 - BW Park Place
    October 25, 2011 Halloween Party
    Sept 17-27 POR-RGR

Post Thanks / Like

My kids have been everywhere we go since birth.
    My 2 have never stayed away from me as babies, toddlers or pre schoolers.
    I had them, they were mine to raise! (my mother's words!)
    Some people don't have family or friends they can leave the young ones with!

Of course I took after my mother, she had 8 kids, moved around the world with every one of them and took everyone with her! . She moved from Maryland to Mass with about a 6 week old! just tossed everything in the cars and off we went!
    Most of these moves were without a husband around to help out, he had already shipped out.

Just a couple weeks ago my sisters and I were talking about all the "Stuff" you "need" now bringing a newborn anywhere!

I said I don't remember mom even having a stroller or a diaper bag, to which Payroll princess replied " she didn't that's what the older kids were for"
    I remember changing diapers on my younger siblings and I was only 18 months older than one of them!
    So, I say if you want to and can do it then go right ahead.
    A good parent does know their kids limits and abides by those.
    I know that #1 son loves thrill rides, we enjoy them together!
    #2 son thinks of the TTA as a thrill ride I don't push him to do RNRC he enjoys the TTA with his dad!
    #1 loves to adventure with foods
    #2 does not AT ALL
    We also had them out late at the parks, the loved it and were very well behaved. If they did not like it or wanted to go back to the room for a nap, then we would go back.
    both boys were early speakers ( FULL sentences by age 1!)and would not hesitate to tell me what they wanted or needed.

WE are going with a 7 week old in 3 weeks. HE also has 4 year old brother. IF the 7 week old or him mom needs to go back for a break then we keep the 4 year old with us ( if he wants to stay)
    As a family you make adjustments as needed for whomever needs the adjustment.
    I'm sure the teen boys will want to sleep in and meet up with us later, that's fine
    IF the young ones are early risers then off we go!
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teamblackwell View Post
    Not taking a young-one to a Disney park because they wouldn't remember it is like not taking a vitamin because you can't taste it.
    Brilliant!
    Jane Agnes Banks
    I was aka Agnes in VMK

"Course heading, Captain?"
    "Second star to the right... and straight on 'til morning."
    --Chekov and Kirk
    The Undiscovered Country

Post Thanks / Like

I think that it doesn't matter how old the child is... if the parents are good parents. I applaud all of you who plan your trips around your child to include naps and breaks and multiple applications of sunscreen etc.

But yes, it DOES break my heart to see cranky children being drug around the MK at 1am, and to see sunburned babies, and toddlers with no hats/sun protection who look as if they are about to pass out in the midday heat while mom and dad are obliviously staring at the map deciding where to go next. And yes, these instances DO stand out more than the babies who are properly attended to, because it is the mistreatment that draws the attention in the first place! Sometime I want to smack these parents over the head.

When I have my first child, if funds allow, I would love to take him or her to WDW as a baby to get their first haircut and see how they react to the characters etc. And of course it will be a trip "for me" but if my child is anything like me, he/she will love to look at pictures and videos from times that they can't remember to see how much mommy and daddy loved them from the very beginning.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crazypoohbear View Post
    Some people don't have family or friends they can leave the young ones with!
    Yes, and nursing babies can't stay behind either!
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Post Thanks / Like

I am the father of 3 and we have taken infants on two trips. The enjoyed it, we enjoyed ourselves. We didn't have the family split up to go. Yes they have to catered to and we go in the late fall to avoid the heat. And we risk taking our own stroller which is very comfortable for napping. We adjust our sleep schedule slightly before leaving so we can stay out late while our little one is crashed in the stroller. Both trips were great, feed em, change em, let them play, and most importantly let them sleep. I plan everything so I plan the daily itinerary for naps that aren't interupted.
    2014 POR Alligator Bayou & Beach Club.
    1978-2007 Several Visits off Property.

"Come to the Tiki Room...No one ever takes a Siesta"

"Parents hold your kids by the hair and we're clear"

"I am happy to see they brought back Orange Bird!!"

Post Thanks / Like

Default a family tradition...

Hey, all. My husband read the beginning topic to me this morning and I have been thinking about it ever since...

My husband took me to WDW for first time for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party in December 2004. I grew up in California and have been to Disney Land but never WDW until then. During our fist evening there on Main Street, admid the Christmas carols and falling snow, he proposed to me. As soon as I accepted, I knew this trip could very well become a tradition for us, and the four children we share together from our previous marriages. We married in 2006 and soon after discovered we were expecting our own little bundle. We were already in the midst of planning the first "floogen-family vacation" (floogen being our nickname since we share 2 different last names between all 6 of us) and when we arrived for our week-long excursion I was 6 months pregnant. Our children were 12, 9, 7, and 5 years old at the time and all did great with our long days. We did plan on breaking our days up and heading back to our rooms at Carribean Beach to rest in the middle of each day, believing at least the younger two and pregnant me could use the time in the pool or just to get off our feet. After only one time, the kids didn't want to leave whatever park we were at and I was holding my own just fine. We went off their cues and made decisions based on how we were all feeling as a group. The one evening we chose to do the "extra-magic hours" at Magic Kingdom, it was agreed that I would take the two youngest and head back to our resort to have a calmer, quieter night. They appreciated it and all went just fine. Our whole trip turned out to be so much better than either myself or my husband could have imagined, and we decided while we were still down there that we would be coming back for 2008's Christmas Party.
    Our daughter was born December 2006 and obviously will be just turning 2 years old when we arrive to celebrate. We have also invited MANY extended family members to join us for a reunion of sorts to share what fun we have discovered. Our daughter will be the youngest of the whole gang, but will not be left behind our left out. Just this morning we were discussing what slow-paced rides she would be able to go on with us and how some family memebers would probably have NO PROBLEM staying back at whatever resort we end up in so that she can have her down time. Even if it is myself or my husband, we understand the responsiblity to EACH of our children, taking each age into consideration as we make our plans.
    I apologize for being so long-winded, but my point comes down to this...

We are planning a FAMILY VACATION. That means non of our 5 children be left out. Just because we will have a 2 year old in tow, we will not be leaving her behind, only paying attention to the appropriateness of rides and time schedules and weather. Strollers recline for sleeping, blankets keep her warm, and I would like to think we are pretty dang responsible when it comes to being parents. Our littlest one may not remember her first trip (outside my belly) to Disney World, but she will have pictures of herself with the whole family that she will be able to look back on as an older child and know that she was just as much a part of our celebrating as her brothers and sisters!!
    Last edited by floogen6; 08-04-2007 at 02:53 PM. Reason: typos
    As of Dec 06 we are now 7
    Off site 1982
    Off site 1983
    Caribbean Beach 1989
    Pop Century 2004 (DW's first visit)
    Caribbean Beach 2006

Contemporary CL Youngests first trip December 2012

Post Thanks / Like

I'm the kind of person that could not go on a trip (unless it was a business trip and I had to go) without taking one of my children regardless of their ages until they reach adulthood. We have always taken great pains to ensure that our girls have a great vacation. They were allowed to nap when they need to as infants, they are protected from the sun as much as possible, and they are encouraged to take part in vacation planning. We took our oldest when she was 13 mo old and she had a great time and no, she doesn't remember a thing but we do and we have plenty of pictures. And yes, that trip was for us more than her but we chose to share it with her rather than leave her behind. Our children are a vital part of our family and Walt's vision for the parks was to create a place where families can spend time together - why not take them?
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

as with many other posters, it depends solely on your family. every one knows the limits of their children and themselves. i wouldn't take my 5 month old for the weekend this past January because i knew the physical toll it would take on me. i was still nursing and i was not looking forward to hauling her around disney with only my husband, who was not very into her yet. . i can honestly say that, while i do really want to go, this trip is for my dd. i can't wait to see her reactions and watch her eyes light up. however, we began planning a trip for November. will i keep her out till 1am....i doubt it. it will depend on her. currently she stays up till 9, sometimes 10pm. perhaps we'll leave her with my dm and our best friend who will be going with us. they're not big night owls like dh and i. so we may have to have a night out.

but a side note, she was there at 5 weeks conception, so it is never too early to start.
    Last edited by tigger24601; 08-04-2007 at 11:13 PM. Reason: typo
    199?-Off Site 2004-Grand Floridian 2005-Coronado & Off Site
    2007-Caribbean Beach
    2007 & 2009-POFQ
    2008-All Star Movies 2010-planning now

Post Thanks / Like

ok, I don't know why people are complaining about people taking their infants to WDW at a young age and staying out late. I took DD at 9mos and will be taking DS at 9mos too. What about the people that take their infants and kids to Vegas and expose them to all of the secondhand smoke and the heat and nothing to do? At least at WDW there are things that kids would like!
    Kris
    BWV owner May 07

1995- DxL
    1999- CBR
    2001- POR & 3d DCL
    2002- Swan & 7d DCL
    2004- CSR
    2005- Off Property
    2006- WL
    2007- DLR off property

May 2008 - First trip home to BWV

Post Thanks / Like

Default I remember my first time

I come from a large family, and am the youngest of six. The first time I was in the parks was when I was maybe 3 months old, and I can say thanks to the rest of my family I remember that first trip. We have Super 8 movies that are now on DVD. We've been to the parks about 16 times since including the seven times with my own family (four kids). Everyone of my kids has been to the parks within their first year and thanks to all the video we shoot during those trips, they too will have memories forever. As for staying out late, remember your on vacation and not going to school the next day. Relax and worry less about what other people may think.

Post Thanks / Like

we took my infant to WDW, but we kept our days short. Also, it was not about what she was going to remember. We went for one more trip before it was all about what the children would want to go on. It was funny though, the trip soon became about her and her reactions to fireworks and the characters. She loved it. Her first trip was 15 months and my sons first trip was when he was 10 months. He loved the characters too.
    Countless Disneyland trips
    May 2000 Honeymoon 1st DW Trip
    April 2001 AS Music
    May 2003 Off-site
    December 2003 AS Movies
    July 2004 Disneyland
    December 2005 AS Movies
    September 2007 Pop
    March 2009 Pop
    Christmas 2010 Movies
    June 2011 off-site
    Christmas 2012 Caribbean Beach