Quantcast Kids with games in the parks? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have kids but I don't see the harm in it as long as the sound is kept down and it's done in moderation. During summer time when lines are an hour a piece, I'm sure it gets boring just standing there in a line. With everything else that is tolerated in parks, children playing a video game quietly in a line should be the least of our worries.
    1988 Family Trip as a kid (offsite)
    1989-Family Trip (First time at MGM)
    2001-Daytrip
    2003-Trip with Friends (First time AK)
    2005-Sept 25-30-POP Century
    2006-Sept 25-Oct 1- All Star Music
    2007-Sept 9-17-All Star Music
    2008-closing of PI only
    2009-May 21-22 Disneyland/DCA

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Personally, I think it's a little ridiculous that kids can't occupy themselves (or, heaven forbid, actually TALK to someone) while waiting in line...Family vacations are for family time, not video game time.

I could not agree more! First, the parents are paying A LOT for the kid to be at Disney. It is one thing if they are getting the Disney downloads (i.e. POTC) - but if they are just playing games for amusement purposes - then that is where I have a problem. Hello - you're in the happiest place on earth - if you're bored, then stay at home with grandma and save your parents some $$$.

Second, I know it is hard to wait in long lines when you are a kid - but the parents should try to engage the children in conversation instead of just sticking a toy in their hand. If that is too hard, then give them a book - at least that way they can work on their reading and vocabulary skills while standing there.
    Adults are only kids grown up...

March 2013 - Beach Club
    October 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    September 2009 - Contemporary
    February 2009 - Yacht Club
    April 2008 - Contemporary/Grand Floridian
    October 2007 - DLR - GC -Honeymoon trip!
    March 2007 - Poly
    February 2006 - DLR - Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

To each his or her own, but there's no way our would bring theirs to a park and I wouldn't let them if they wanted to. They spend enough time tuned in to the computer at home and vacation is family time. I think there's something wrong with teaching our kids that they have to be totally occupied and absorbed 100% of their waking hours. Conversly I think we SHOULD teach them to take a break every once in a while and just be aware of what's going on around them. Especially in a place like the WORLD.
    Keven

06/76 Disneyland
    06/05 PoP Century - First time for the kids
    08/06 PoP Century - Celebrating DD's B-Day
    07/07 Pop Century - Celebrating DW's B-Day
    06/11 Caribbean Beach Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Add us to the list of parents who don't allow their kids to take their games into the parks. First of all, we feel that kids need to learn to learn to behave and be patient even when they don't have something to entertain them. Plus with what the silly things cost we don't want to take the chance of the equipment getting lost, stolen or damaged.

If others want to let their kids bring them into the parks then that is their choice. However, if they do bring them then they need to show respect to others by turning the volume down or off and by not trying to walk while they are playing. We were sitting on the curb waiting for a parade to start in the MK several years ago and watched this kid bump into at least 6 different people because he had his head down trying to play his game while following his parents down the street. To make matters worse, we never saw him say "sorry" or "excuse me" to anyone he hit!! Needless to say, that child is in need of a lesson in manners (as are the parents.)

Post Thanks / Like

My parents just got back from WDW a few days ago and both my brothers brought their handhelds. My youngest brother brought his Nintendo DS b/c you get to download extra features to the POTC AWE game at the actual ride. My other brother always brings his PSP and listens to all his songs while he is walking around and waiting for things. I don't see what the big deal is??

Post Thanks / Like

I can understand waiting in a long line, because that just kills so much time! But not while at the parks. Luckly, DH and I rarely wait in lines how we plan our trips, so less waiting and more riding!
    **WDW: December 8th-19th 2007~Celebrating our 4yr Anniversey~Pop Century Resort**

WDW: November 9-15th 2003 **HoneyMoon***
    ~All-Star Music Resort ~Broadway~

Disneyland Resort September 5th-9th
    (Please note I've been to DLR countless times. Just posting recent trips.)

British Columbia, Canada (3408 miles from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

We don't take our gameboys at all when we go on vacation. Not even for the plane. Our vacations are electronics free. My boys read, watch the movie on plane, do activities in an activity book, play travel games etc. They don't miss it at all. It is nice to just watch what is going on around us. At WDW, they never complain about lines. There is just so much to see.
    ~Lynne~

On deck, you scabrous dogs! Man the braces! Let down and haul to run free. Now...bring me that horizon

DCL 2008 Mexico, 2011 Alaska, 2013 Caribbean
    WDW 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    Disneyland 2015, 2004,1993,1992, 1991,1973

Post Thanks / Like

wow, some of you are harsh.

marker has an extremely good point, i mean, would you rather the kid is line jumping, spitting and using foul language, i think not. If the poor kid was just being quiet and waiting for someone, thats perfectly fine by me, now on the other hand if a kid was blasting annoying beeps and music from a game and kept holding up the line in splash mountain, yes, i would be upset, so i guess it all just depends on the manner in wich the child is using the game
    AP Holder since 2015

LAFITTE, LA, UNITED STATES( 674 MILES AWAY)
    Post Thanks / Like

im ok with my kids having them on the trip for the ride there and mabey in the room, but the games wont go into the parks at all
    Jimmy

Co-Host: The Disney Nerds Podcast

Post Thanks / Like

It will be a better world when we can all be more understanding and not assume we know everything about a child or a parent based on one moment in Walt Disney World. And, no, my children do not take electronics into the park but I certainly would not judge other parents for the choices they make. I guess I tend not to let innocent things like this annoy me. I'm too busy having a great time with my family (and trying to be extra careful that they are not annoying anyone!!!!!!)
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merlinmagic4 View Post
    It will be a better world when we can all be more understanding and not assume we know everything about a child or a parent based on one moment in Walt Disney World. And, no, my children do not take electronics into the park but I certainly would not judge other parents for the choices they make. I guess I tend not to let innocent things like this annoy me. I'm too busy having a great time with my family (and trying to be extra careful that they are not annoying anyone!!!!!!)
    I totally agree with you. My kids take their DS's on the plane, never in the parks. I would hate for someone to see them playing them while on the plane and think that my kids are addicted to video games. If they play them 30 minutes a week that is a lot. The plane ride is probably the most they will play them at a time.

If I walked by a child sitting on a bench playing a handheld I would probably just think they needed a break.
    DVC Members @ SSR
    19 Trips since 1996:
    Caribbean Beach Resort-2x's, Dixie Landings-2x, POFQ-2x's, POR-3x's All Star Movies-4x's, Pop-1x, Saratoga Springs-2x, BWV-1x, OKW-2x

Just got back: August 17th-22nd POR

Post Thanks / Like

My son has ADD and sensory issues. Disney is TOTAL overload for him. Standing in line is really, really difficult for him - he probably qualifies for one of those passes but I'm afraid of the dirty looks. Shopping is even harder, since he goes into overload and needs to touch everything and can't stay in one place for more than 30 seconds in a store. The DS is a HUGE help for us keeping him busy while we're waiting in line or if I want to spend 10 minutes shopping.
    Life is Beautiful - pass it on. Sign your organ donor card.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nekochan View Post
    My son has ADD and sensory issues. Disney is TOTAL overload for him. Standing in line is really, really difficult for him - he probably qualifies for one of those passes but I'm afraid of the dirty looks. Shopping is even harder, since he goes into overload and needs to touch everything and can't stay in one place for more than 30 seconds in a store. The DS is a HUGE help for us keeping him busy while we're waiting in line or if I want to spend 10 minutes shopping.
    THANK YOU! That is exactly what I was going to say. People must remember that every child is different. Some kids may be happy to converse with mom and dad for an hour at a time several times per day, or even look at scenery, but for other kids, this is not only torturous, but next to impossible. I want my children to ENJOY their entire vacation, including waiting for rides, waiting for others to get out of the washrooms, waiting for parades.

That doesn't mean I would let them play non-stop, or play noisy games that disturb others. It just means I will let them be entertained. If it means bringing a deck of cards / bubble blowers / colouring books / hot wheels OR even Gameboy, it doesn't matter to me.

(And of course, being a "tekkie", I have no problem with technology. We will have cell phone, walkie talkies, digital camera and laptop ourselves, so why can't the kids have some as well)?
    Hi ho, hi ho
    To Disney World I go!

Post Thanks / Like

My girls just each got a Nintendo DS for their birthdays. I will definetly be bringing them for our trip in 2009. My youngest (now 7) has ADD. It will help her from trying to run around while we will be in line or sitting down to eat. Also, it will help my oldest (now 10, as of today 6/21/07) to not try to run people over to get to the rides (she is in a wheelchair and very impatient). I will not let them play them during rides or shows. Just when waiting.
    Brandy, Elizabeth and Rebecca

Next Visit to Disney World June 2009

Post Thanks / Like

I wish parents would spend more time talking with their children at disney instead of allowing them to tune out the magic all around them. my children never wanted to bring their game boys or ipods with them and they were never bored. there is always something to see, do, watch or talk about there.

Post Thanks / Like

altough i don't have kids, here's my view on this. i don't have a problem with kids with handheld games (they help make the time in long lines go quicker). in fact, i often carry my DS, Game Boy Color, or even the Sega Game Gear whenever i go to disney

Post Thanks / Like

I asked my 14 year old DS this one. Even though he is very "plugged in" to my surprise, he said, no way. He said he would not waste his time at WDW playing video games, even if he got free downloads.

I posed the same question to a friend who has an autistic child. She said that definately, a hand held game would be a must for waiting in lines.

So, as is the norm on this site... to each his own.

Post Thanks / Like

I am going on a quick trip to DL without the kids. I will problably bring it into the parks just becuase I am planning on waiting in long lines, and because I can without the kids. When we go to DW in September I won't get a chance to pull it out even waiting in the airport.
    November 2010 Disneyland
    December 2009 Disneyland
    March 2008 Disneyland
    December 2007 Disneyland
    September 2007 All Star Music
    August 2007 Disneyland
    October 2006 Offsite
    December 2003 POR
    June 2001 All Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

My kids haven't taken their games into the parks yet, but I'm encouraging it for our July trip. In fact, I just bought a copy of the latest Pirates game for the DS so they can download the special codes while in the MK. I'm hoping this will keep my kids from growing bored and bickering while in line. Personally, I'd rather listen to a fairly quiet game being played by children (or adults, for that matter) than all the adults we frequently hear chatting loudly on their cell phones. Before I get flamed for saying this, we take our cell phones into the parks to locate each other if we get separated. We don't use them to call friends and family at home to tell them (and the hundred or so other people standing in line for Peter Pan) about the stomach ailment that developed after dining at O'Hana the night before -- true story -- we got to hear about the fellow's discomfort in GREAT detail. Ugh!
    Squeaky Mouse

Too Many Trips to List (PAP holders)

Upcoming:
    Spring Break -- POP
    May -- AKL ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Personally, I think it's a little ridiculous that kids can't occupy themselves (or, heaven forbid, actually TALK to someone) while waiting in line..
    I can tell you one thing, though ... no way my kids would ever even bring one on vacation. Family vacations are for family time, not video game time.
    AMEN!! I have 3 kids (11, 9, 6) and we have been going to Disney for the past 6 years, and yes, believe it or not, we go video gameless. And get this, we drive down from PA!!! Thankfully, my kids all get along extremely well and know how to occupy themselves otherwise - talking to each other, using their imagination to play games or even reading. I feel so bad when I see families doing something as simple as going out to dinner and the kids are sitting their playing handhelds instead of communicating with one another.
    '86,'87,'92 - Offsite
    '93 - Disneyland Hotel
    '95 - Disneyland Hotel - Honeymoon
    '01 - Fort Wilderness Cabins - MVMCP
    '03 - Wilderness Lodge
    '03 - Caribbean Beach
    '04 - POR
    '05 - POR/Polynesian - SW Weekends
    '06 - Polynesian - MNSSHP
    '07 - POR - MNSSHP
    '09 - Grand Floridian

Share This Thread On Social Media: