Quantcast Finger scaning

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finger scaning

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finger scaning

Hi, I have herd that they don't do finger scanning anymore at the theme parks. Just put your pass in and thats it. Anyone know if thats true?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Not true. Disney has gone to a lot of trouble to prevent their tickets from being transferable. Perhaps they had problems one day and skipped it, but I'm quite sure the biometric finger scan is still going strong.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Doubt it

I am 99.99999% sure that's not true. First, Disney has too much invested in that system to just bag it. And second, that would have been big news. As of our last trip a couple months ago, the scanners were alive and well and delaying everyone's entry into the parks!!

Post Thanks / Like

I was just there the two twweks from April 5 - April 20 and I can tell you they are still doing the finger scan thing. I don't blame disney some of those places down ther were advertising the sale of used tickets with days left on them and they were cheeper then what disney charges. Disney goes above and beyond to make my time the special and the only way to keep up the extras is to charge what they do so that they can make a profit too!
    off site at brother in laws in Sanford starting 1989 until 1999
    off site at place 5min. from main gates 2000 until 2007
    Had the best trip ever April 5th - 20th 2007
    Arriving April 3,2009

Post Thanks / Like

Bummer, they don't do it at DL last month and so I was hoping that they had discontinued with the finger scans -- oh well!
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 14 year old DD who is developmentally delayed and also has low muscle tone. She has a terrible time doing the finger scan. I feel bad for the people behind us because it takes at least a couple of tries. She tries so hard to get her fingers in there correctly. The whole time she is waiting her turn, she is saying, "Mom, is this the way?" and holding her fingers poised and ready to go. Usually after 2 or 3 tries the CMs will do something manually and let her pass through.
    Diane

Past trips to WDW:
    12/12 CBR with free dining
    5/10 CBR with free dining
    4/09 CBR couples only trip for 20th anniv.
    9/08 Pop with free dining
    5/07 Pop
    4/05 Pop
    12/04 Pop
    4/04 Pop
    12/02 AS Sports
    4/02 AS Movies
    3/00 Ft. Wilderness Cabins

TiggerRPh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by homeschool mom View Post
    I have a 14 year old DD who is developmentally delayed and also has low muscle tone. She has a terrible time doing the finger scan. I feel bad for the people behind us because it takes at least a couple of tries. She tries so hard to get her fingers in there correctly. The whole time she is waiting her turn, she is saying, "Mom, is this the way?" and holding her fingers poised and ready to go. Usually after 2 or 3 tries the CMs will do something manually and let her pass through.
    I think you might be thinking of the old "peace sign" finger scans. Now it's just one finger and it ID's points on your finger prints. It's much more "user friendly".

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there sweetie. You know, I would call guest services and ask exactly what you would need in terms of a doctor's note in order to have her bypass the scan. After all, if the rest of you are doing the scan and just she isn't, it's not like you are trying to pull anything. See what you can do, it might make your day start out better if you aren't having to constantly be worrying about people grumbling behind your back
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

TiggerRPh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyTreeGal View Post
    Hey there sweetie. You know, I would call guest services and ask exactly what you would need in terms of a doctor's note in order to have her bypass the scan. After all, if the rest of you are doing the scan and just she isn't, it's not like you are trying to pull anything. See what you can do, it might make your day start out better if you aren't having to constantly be worrying about people grumbling behind your back

She won't need any note...see my post above. They've change the type of scan they're using.

Post Thanks / Like

We go to the parks about every other weekend as we live close by. Since around the end of March they had not been doing the scan, although this past weekend it was being utilized again. I was told by a CM they just abandoned it during the spring break rush.

Post Thanks / Like

As of last month, they switched to a single finger on a pad that looks a heck of a lot like an actual fingerprint scanner.

Personally, we've been there on two trips with the biometric scanning, and never had a problem with it, especially once they switched to one finger. They are not taking enough data to be reporting it to the NSA, which is probably a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, let's go through this again

We are NOT "reading fingerprints". We ARE, however, taking a measurement of your finger each time you use your ticket to make sure that the biometric reading (measurement) matches that ticket each and every time. This is why it's VERY IMPORTANT that you *sign the back of your tickets*, even put your kids' names on the children's tickets, so that each person in your party uses the exact same ticket each and every time.

I have a 14 year old DD who is developmentally delayed and also has low muscle tone. She has a terrible time doing the finger scan.
    The Park Greeter CM (the "ticket taker") should just manually push the ticket through using their keypad, or just scan the barcode of the ticket on the back. That way, she (your daughter) won't have to do the finger scan.

Since around the end of March they had not been doing the scan, although this past weekend it was being utilized again.
    We have always done the biometrics since they were installed a few years back. Just during busy (peak) entry periods (i.e., early in the mornings, a big crossover from the other parks, etc.), we may go to what we call a "Level 3", where we TEMPORARILY shut down the biometrics and all you need is your ticket. This is NOT an "every day, all day, non-scanning" thing; again, it's only when we're receiving a LOT of guests all at once. The average entry transaction (biometrics with the ticket and getting in through the turnstile) only takes about seven seconds; without the biometrics, when they're turned off, is only about three to four seconds.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

no they still scan fingers.
    Taylor

been over 10 times and aint stoppin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by future_imagineer View Post
    As of last month, they switched to a single finger on a pad that looks a heck of a lot like an actual fingerprint scanner.
    That's good news to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post
    OK, let's go through this again
    I'm sure there are folks who are either new to the boards or new to this conversation that will benefit from the information in this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

we go in late sep. early oct. and they have ALWAYS done the finger scans and that is because barely anyone is there.
    You may leave the magic, but your heart will always be there (psst. I'm bored) (P.S. probably will be until I return to my true home {DISNEY})

Home of the World Champion White Sox and World Champion Chicago Blackhawks X's 2!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

I just got back, and they were doing it. My 3 yo didn't have to do it though, which is fine since he doesn't reach. I really didn't think it was a hassle at all, the bag check was pita but very easy to walk thru that as well without being checked, I noticed tons of people avoiding that line w/bags and nothing was said/done.

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding the 14 yr old girl, my older brother is physically disabled, and generally he wasn't required to do the finger scan. Sometimes they made him do it, and other times my dad would hand over the ticket and they'd send him through without even attempting the scan. I think it's at the CM's discression as to whether or not to have her attempt the finger scan.

Post Thanks / Like

We just returned from WDW and they are still doing the finger scan.

For some reason my DH had trouble with it - don't know if he was using a different finger or what but several times he held up the line trying to get the scanner to read his finger Everyone was really nice about the holdup though....
    Susan

'98 Villas
    '91 Polynesian
    '89 Port Orleans
    '87 Grand Floridian
    '77 Polynesian
    '76 Outside WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help!

So.. I'm a little confused. Surprisingly, this is the first time I read about this topic on the boards. Anyway, how exactly does this work? Do you do the finger scan every time you enter a park? Random times?

..a little clarification would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!
    Disneyland - California: Countless times as a kid
    WDW (1st trip): 05.30.07 - 06.06.07, POP Century
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 06.15.08
    Disneyland - California: 05.27.09 (celebrating 24th birthday)

Upcoming trips:
    12.09.2009 - 12.10.2009, Disneyland - California

Post Thanks / Like

Biometrics are used *every time* you use your park ticket to enter a park. Your finger has to match up to your ticket, which is why you need to sign the backs of your tickets and use the same finger every time. If you try to use a different finger or a different ticket, it obviously won't match what that ticket is assigned, and it won't let you in.

We *occasionally* turn off the biometrics when we're extremely busy to get guests in the park a little quicker.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: