Quantcast American Idol - Season 6 - Page 24

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    If I may use this as an example.... This strikes me as a pretty good attempt to justify the bad behavior or a lot of people based only on what we think he thinks. Money and fame do not always make everything ok, and doesn't make bad behavior good. Honestly, I hope he has a good publicist who can help him parlay this into a much more positive experience.
    I guess I'm a little confused as to what bad behavior I'm justifying? As I've stated before in this thread, I certainly don't think people should have voted for Sanjaya because of any kind Vote for the Worst type of campaign--I think that is making a mockery of the competition and of him. And of course, I don't know what Sanjaya was thinking, I was just stating an opinion based on my own observation and perception (which is all any of us can do unless he eventually talks about his experience). And my perception is that he took a bad situation and went as far as he could with it. That's all.

Now I only hope that those who don't care about the show will STEP OFF AND LEAVE IT ALONE. But I suppose that's not likely.
    Now that I can agree with you on. I would like to get back to the basics of the competition, and see the best man (or woman) win, so to speak.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    I guess I'm a little confused as to what bad behavior I'm justifying?
    Yeah, you're right. You weren't justifying the bad behavior, but what you wrote sounded somewhat like what you'd hear from someone who was doing just that. I really wasn't meaning you in particular. It's more just the feeling you get from some who justify behavior such as this by presumptions about how the other person feels, or what they think. It's just generally frustrating.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

If I may use this as an example.... This strikes me as a pretty good attempt to justify the bad behavior or a lot of people based only on what we think he thinks. Money and fame do not always make everything ok, and doesn't make bad behavior good. Honestly, I hope he has a good publicist who can help him parlay this into a much more positive experience.
    Well, he's already been invited by People magazine to be their guest at the White House Correspondent's dinner. I think he'll be ok. Anyone think there might be a possible reality show in the works? I think one with Sanj and his Sister Shyamali might get decent ratings. She seems to have gained quite a fanbase of her own.

I don't think it's necessarily justifying bad bahavior by pointing out the truth- Sanjaya is a performer. He didn't wander into the auditions having never sung before. There are plenty of videos out there of him performing, reports of him going on school choir trips, doing everybody's hair and how everyone loves his voice back home. They say he's always been a showman. According to his friends, he always wanted this - to be in the spotlight. Of course it wasn't the way he necessarily wanted but he'll be OK.

I think those first few weeks he was just having a hard time taking it all in- which is why he seemed so shy. But then he relaxed and did his thing. Yes it was torture for all of us who wanted to see contestants like Sundance or Brandon or Stephanie or Chris Sligh get one more chance at it. But at the end of the day I don't think he'll be scarred from the negativity. He seems like he has a great family support system and I honestly wish him the best in his future. I just hope he doesn't get a record deal-though he probaby will. Maybe he could be part of the new Menudo
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bye-Bye Sanjaya!

I'm doing the happy dance since Sanjaya's gone!

My husband heard a rumor that when Sanjaya was wiping his tears away, he was doing it with his middle finger. Does anyone recall this?

I thought it was pompous for him to change the words to "Let's give 'em something to talk about other than hair ..." Of course, I know he's only 17 years old.
    " But you see, I have the other slipper! "

1987 - Off Site
    1995 - Off Site
    2001 - All-Star Sports
    2005 - All-Star Music
    Next Trip - September 2009 - Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lakesha Question

Does anyone know why Lakesha says she is from Michigan (I think it's Michigan)? She works at a bank here in Maryland.

I started out favoring her because she lives here and I thought she could really sing. I agree that her performances aren't what they were at the beginning and I definitely think there's a bit much hanging out of her outfits which is distracting. I like her better than Melinda. Lakesha seems genuine; I'm tired of Melinda's surprised look, too! I missed Simon's comments about that. I think Melinda has an unfair advantage since she already sings professionally.

1987 - Off Site
    1995 - Off Site
    2001 - All-Star Sports
    2005 - All-Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by imaprincess! View Post
    My husband heard a rumor that when Sanjaya was wiping his tears away, he was doing it with his middle finger. Does anyone recall this?
    Not sure but I did notice Simon resting his head on his middle finger and thought oh no here we go again. I've noticed Simon do that a lot. Maybe 2 rumors got mixed up?

I thought it was pompous for him to change the words to "Let's give 'em something to talk about other than hair ..." Of course, I know he's only 17 years old.
    I dunno, it didn't bother me. It's true. Now that he's kicked off, we'll have something to talk about, other than hair!
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Please don't read anything into whether or not someone wipes away tears with a middle finger. In many cultures, the middle finger is the pointer and I know many Americans who are second and third generation who are just the salt of the earth who will still point things out using that finger. It is just ingrained in them from a young age. It took me a while to get used to it, and now I don't notice anymore. I see it a lot in people who are descended from India.
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Well, he's already been invited by People magazine to be their guest at the White House Correspondent's dinner. I think he'll be ok.
    I have no doubt that he will be ok. And if he can translate this into some kind of success, more power to him.

But for me, no matter how ok his is or isn't, and no matter how much success it brings him or doesn't, it still in now way excuse what I consider to be bad behavior. Intentionally subjecting someone to ridicule for your own enjoyment to me is wrong. To me, intentionally trying to distroy something that other people like simply because you don't like it, is wrong. It's rude, it's very disrespectful, it's mean, it's selfish, it's bad behavior. Whether or not Sanjaya is ok or not is not the issue at all, wrong is wrong. At least, that's my opinion.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

Intentionally subjecting someone to ridicule for your own enjoyment to me is wrong. To me, intentionally trying to distroy something that other people like simply because you don't like it, is wrong. It's rude, it's very disrespectful, it's mean, it's selfish, it's bad behavior. Whether or not Sanjaya is ok or not is not the issue at all, wrong is wrong. At least, that's my opinion.
    Well Said!
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

To me, intentionally trying to distroy something that other people like simply because you don't like it, is wrong. It's rude, it's very disrespectful, it's mean, it's selfish, it's bad behavior. Whether or not Sanjaya is ok or not is not the issue at all, wrong is wrong. At least, that's my opinion.
    I was voting for Sanjaya and I Love American Idol. It was fun in an otherwise mediocre year for the show. It also made Howard Stern's show even funnier whenever they talked about it. And I think the "effect" on the show has been blown way out of proportion. The people voted out before him weren't all that great either and it made the show much more fun to watch every week. Now that he's been KICKED OFF BY THE PRODUCERS, I'll still watch, but it won't be as fun.

Yes I am selfish. Too bad.
    Rude and Disrespectful is a stretch.

I just hope next year they wake up and pick people with actual talent and marketability. I think the producers wanted Sanjaya on the show because it'd be funny or entertaining and it blew up in their face.
    "It's called a salute to all nations but MOSTLY America"

Been to WDW so many times, I've lost count

Visited Disneyland Paris in May 2002

Disneyland & Cali Adventure in June 2007

Hope to someday make it to Japan, China, and back to Paris for Disney Studios!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jedigrrrl View Post
    Now that he's been KICKED OFF BY THE PRODUCERS
    Ummm.... Conspiracy theory much? I think that sometimes the bottom 3 is manipulated but I don't think they would rig the actual elimination.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Ummm.... Conspiracy theory much? I think that sometimes the bottom 3 is manipulated but I don't think they would rig the actual elimination.
    According to the official voting rules of the show, “Rules and procedures are subject to change at producer’s discretion without notice.”

The results show was shady. It was obvious that Simon knew, in advance, that Sanjaya was getting the boot and even Sanjaya was crying the entire time, like he knew. It was weird, especially since he hadn't even been in the bottom 3 for many weeks. My husband thinks they might have even paid Sanjaya off, LOL. Also, the next morning, the top 6 was scheduled to be on OPRAH to talk about the Africa thing next week and I doubt the producers wanted Sanjaya around for that. It all seemed weird to me. Even Blake being in the bottom was waaaay weird, since he's probably the most popular contestant on the show. I think they tampered with the voting in a way that also affected Blake's votes. Maybe they didn't count any vote that was made using the online auto-dialers. I think that would affect Blake, too because many young girls that vote for him know how to use that type of technology.

i know you all think I sound crazy, LOL, but the producers tampering with the results tarnishes the show way more than the "Sanjaya Movement."

This Thread is fun.

Post Thanks / Like

I think EVERYBODY had the inkling that Sanjaya was a goner. I predicted the night before that I thought this may have been his final week, and when he was anounced in the bottom 3, I was smirking as well. As far as him not having been in the bottom 3 the prior few weeks, it means nothing. Do you remember Chris Daughtry? He was the heavy favorite and then BAM he was gone.

And I don't think they blocked the autodialers because Dial Idol's predictions were dead on. I just think some people who had been voting finally got tired of him, and fans of other singers voted more than they had in previous weeks. The joke got old. Everyone had their fun and now its over. I don't see the need to question the validity of the vote at this point. If the producers were going to mess around with the vote why would they wait this long to do it???? I'm sorry but I just can't buy the arguement.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jedigrrrl View Post
    i know you all think I sound crazy,
    That about sums it up for me.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to add one more thing.. even if the producers DID step in, I don't really care. It's not like he was good. And it doesn't seem like they've ever exercised that power before. Nikki McKibban staying on longer than Tamyra?? Reuben winning over Clay?? And I highly doubt they wanted Hicks to win the whole thing last year... I mean they still signed Daughtry and his album is doing great. They are using his song as the "kickoff" song. Why wouldn't they have used their powers to keep him on? OK well that's it for me wasting my time thinking about this. I'm glad that Sanjaya is gone. Back to the focus on talent.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I can tell you that among the people I know, we voted about 4 times MORE for Sanjaya than previous weeks. I went from about 125 or so up to 510, someone else I know went from about 150 to 639 last week.

According to my stats, there were significantly more busy signals encountered than previous weeks, which is indicitive of more people calling.

They won't release it, and if they did, no one would believe it anyway, but among our group (it's a small group and statistically insignificant) it doesn't add up.

Oh well, not a huge deal, it was fun while it lasted. Onto bigger and better things. PHIL!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sanjaya Conspiracy

Really, you think the producers kicked him off? Honestly, I figured that even the people who were voting for him realized there was no denying how bad his version of "Let's Give Them Something To Talk About" was
    and didn't vote for him. And I'm not a total Sanjaya basher -- I thought his performance the week before (Latino music) was very good, as did Simon.

1987 - Off Site
    1995 - Off Site
    2001 - All-Star Sports
    2005 - All-Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

I think two things happened that contributed to Sanjaya's demise ....

#1, I think his performance was clearly the worst and I think that hurt his vote totals from the "average" folks who watch this show and just vote based on who does best from week to week.

#2, I suspect the non-Vote the Worst contingent got sick of seeing him trotted out there week after week and went into overdrive voting for everyone other than him (notice Ryan said they had like 38 million votes that night, which is a huge number).

I know I personally haven't voted once up until this week, but I voted 10 times this week for Phil because I was afraid he was going to go and he didn't deserve to.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to add one more thing.. even if the producers DID step in, I don't really care. It's not like he was good. And it doesn't seem like they've ever exercised that power before. Nikki McKibban staying on longer than Tamyra?? Reuben winning over Clay?? And I highly doubt they wanted Hicks to win the whole thing last year... I mean they still signed Daughtry and his album is doing great. They are using his song as the "kickoff" song. Why wouldn't they have used their powers to keep him on? OK well that's it for me wasting my time thinking about this. I'm glad that Sanjaya is gone. Back to the focus on talent.
    this argument doesn't make sense because all those people had talent and there wasn't any hoopla surrounding them. They had no REASON to exercise that power before. All your examples are America getting lazy and not voting because they think "oh, (insert name here) is so good that there will be enough people voting that I don't have to waste my time voting, too." and then, oops, fans of the other contestants stepped it up and what you cited above happens. It's COMPLETELY different.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by imaprincess! View Post
    Really, you think the producers kicked him off? Honestly, I figured that even the people who were voting for him realized there was no denying how bad his version of "Let's Give Them Something To Talk About" was
    and didn't vote for him. And I'm not a total Sanjaya basher -- I thought his performance the week before (Latino music) was very good, as did Simon.

The whole point of this whole thing was that he is TERRIBLE, so the more terrible, the better. Most of the people voting for Sanjaya never even watched the show. At 9pm, the phone number to vote for Sanjaya was posted online and scrolled across the Sirius satellite radio.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: