Quantcast Too young for Disney World?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Too young for Disney World?

So, Everyone on this site will laugh, but I just need some silly reassurance... more than one person has said to me "they" would never take small children to Disney World because they (the small children) are too young to appreciate it- they won't remember it OR taking little kids is just crazy - too much work! Well duh? Kids are work, so is everything else in life worth doing. Please tell me none of these remarks are founded. I refuse to believe Walt Disney World is not for little ones. My boys will be 2 and 5 when we go in Feb. My older son is very enthusiastic about the idea. He loves the old Chip and Dale movies.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We have been taking our youngest since he was 6 months old. He is now three and will be going on his fifth trip in 4 days. He tells us what rides he wants to go on, what he wants to see. He has enjoyed every moment in the parks. We as parents, enjoyed seeing his face light up as sees Mickey everytime.

Sure the little ones are work, but so is life itself. All we made sure to do was take midday breaks to get out of the midday sun.

Go, enjoy your trip with your family and don't look back!
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, that is the best time to take them!! My kids started when DD was not quite 2 and DS was only 4 months! Okay, 4 months was a little young, but I loved watching my daughter take everything in, and seeing her face when she saw Cinderella! Next trip (5th one!) they will be 7 and 8, but I still love watching them have so much fun!
    Shelley
    Do you believe in Magic?

Jan. 2001 - AS Music
    Nov. 2003 - AS Movies
    May 2004 - AS Movies
    Nov. 2005 - Pop Century
    Nov. 2007 - Pop Century
    Nov. 2010 - AS Sports
    Nov. 2013 - Caribbean Beach
    Jan. 2016 - Pop Century
    Nov. 2017 - AS Music/AK Lodge - Brand new DVC Members!

Post Thanks / Like

I just took DD who was 21months and DS who was 3.5 in January and they were perfect ages

Post Thanks / Like

Your 5 yr old will be the perfect age to appreciate the magic. The 2 yr old will enjoy looking around. The one thing I say to parents taking very young kids (and I'm taking my own will be 2 yr old this fall) is don't have expectations of how the kids should react. Let the kid react as they experience things rather than having the parent determine their reactions.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

We lived in Orlando for the first year of my daughters life and we went to the parks quite often and had a lot of fun. We now live out of the state and are planning our first trip back in May when DD will be 16 months. I can't wait. While I know she may not remember this trip when she is 20, she will have fun and the pictures will be priceless and I know my husband and I will remember.

Have fun!!

Post Thanks / Like

My kids were also 3 1/2 and 21 months when we took them for their first trip last fall.

And I used to feel the same way - why go if they won't remember it.

Well, my older child still talks about his trip. even if he doesn't remember it as an adult, it is a treasured memory now.

But, once I saw the smiles on their faces when we walked into MK, I no longer cared if they remembered or not. It was priceless.

8/11 CSR
    8/10 - Wilderness Lodge
    2009 CSR
    2009 Ft Wilderness Cabins
    2008 Polynesian
    2008 POR
    2007 CSR
    2007 OKW
    2006 CBR
    Many offsite trips...before kids

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know why people worry so much about their kids remembering it... I used to go and visit my great grandmother as a young child, and I have no recollection of it at all.....She enjoyed the visits and so did the rest of my family. I apply the same philosophy to travel.....the baby may not remember it, but there are "family" memories too. I say go and have a great time! Enjoy watching your child, and then telling him all about it in the future.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

I think anytime after they are able to walk well is a great time to take them. Even before if the trip is more for your enjoyment than theirs.

I think the best age is almost 3. Still free, but potty trained and still believes in real magic. Then 5 is a good time, still believes and will build some real memories. Then about 12 where is changes from magical kiddy fun to thrills and adventure.

Your kids are at a perfect age. Bottomline, if you feel it's a good time, then it's a good time.

Feb is also a great time. Might be a little chilly some morning and I'll doubt you'll want to swim but the parks will be nice.

Have a great trip!!!
    Steve "I'm Grumpy because you're Dopey"
    90Treehouse, 93Clubhouse Villa(DD2), 96Hotel Plaza(DD5&2), 99CR, 01OKW(expecting DS), 03POR (luv the trundle), 04AKL, 06ASMo(DW40, DD2), 07DLRP/PC, 08Y&BC/PC/DLRP, 09ASMusic/Cruise, 10ASSp/Pop, 11POR/Cruise, 12DLR, 13PC/Cruise, 14ASMu, 15CRx2, 16CR&ASMo(DW50)

Post Thanks / Like

We took our kids at very young ages - our DD's first trip was at four months old!

Keep in mind however, 2 things:

1. We go just as much for ourselves as we do for the kids - now we adjust our trips accordingly for the kids, but we get a ton of enjoyment by going there, even with severely modified schedules!

2. We go there often - several trips a year. So we knew (when the kids were young) that they'd be going again and again.

WDW is wonderfully suited for kids and parents with young children. DS ate dinner at the Cali Grill on his first b-day, baggies of Cheerios and all!

I can not begin to tell you how easy it is to travel to WDW with children - regardless of age. The CM's are used to young 'uns, the parks and resorts are designed with young children in mind. We've brought our kids to every restaurant in EPCOT! They've been to the water parks (very child friendly), mini-golfing, and of course, the wonderful theme parks.

We have always modified our schedules & itineraries based on our childrens' needs. Rarely are we in the parks after lunch time (even today: DD is 6, DS is 8). But every family and every kid is different - so do as you need.

The last thing to tell you about is the character interaction - it is GREAT! The characters are wonderful with little children! Most will not hold young babies, but we did have Minnie and some of the princesses hold her for pics. It's a wonderful experience.

Only you can determine if it's right for your kids to go now. Sure you'll find a lot of biased people here for WDW. But there is one indisputable fact: WDW is one of the easiest places on earth to vacation with young children!

Post Thanks / Like

We took our kids when they were 2 and 4 , and are going back with them at 4 and 6. To me they were perfect ages the first time - for both of them everything was REAL - no way can you recreate that as they get older (even though we all know at INTERCOT that the Disney magic is real). Even this June trip with DS who will be 6 he now understands the difference between what is in the movies/TV vs. real life so I am somewhat afraid of how he will react to some things.

And both kids still bring up the trip from 2 years ago on their own mentioning things that they remember - and most importantly you will remember those memories. So just ignore everyone else and savor the trip!
    ASMov/CSR - Oct 2010
    CSR/Ft Wilderness Cabins - June 2009
    POFQ - June 2007
    AKL - First time to WDW! - Dec 2005

Anytime I purchase, read, watch, promote, or travel to (and purchase some more) anything Disney I am not spending money - I am investing in my future as a proud disney stock holder.

Post Thanks / Like

The next time anyone suggests a child is too young to go WDW because they won't remember it, ask them, if they have children, what they did for their child's first birthday. I'll bet they had a cake, decorations, invited family and friends, the whole shebang, and lots of presents. Then you ask that person why would they do all that if the kid isn't going to remember it. Same question for any holiday or going to the zoo for that matter. A memory isn't required to live in and enjoy the present, and these "too young" children will definitely have a fun time. Besides, YOU will remember it, just like the extravagant first birthday party, first few Christmas/Hannakuh celebrations, first Halloween costumes, you get the idea.

So go and have fun. And remember the great advice that others have given you. Don't push your children, at any age, to do too much and follow their lead for breaks and the like. The other nice thing about the under-3 bunch, at least in my case and some others from the trip reports I've read, they'll just take their nap right in the stroller at the park, which is a nice time to find a sweet treat and quiet spot for yourselves, or to do some shopping, or take turns taking the older kids on rides the little one can't do.
    Tracy

*** All it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of pixie dust ***

Numerous family trips in the 70's and 80's growing up
    Introduced DH to the magic in '92 and we can't get enough...

Post Thanks / Like

oooh. scrappy is my new hero. where were you when i went back in 2003?!?

i think that you're going at the perfect age. for one, there's a good chance that your DS5 will still know the characters are real. if you wait much longer, he'll mistakenly believe they're just costumes.

i took my youngest DD when she was 11.5 months (not walking at all, lazy girl!) and again at 2.5. both trips were priceless. she still talks about the second one. but the first trip, we have pictures of her kissing pooh's nose, minnie mouse feeding her peas one at a time, and so much more. at 4.5, she still talks about her second trip and is so excited for our next one.

just be prepared to use a lot of baby swap. it will work out well for your older one, though-- he'll get double rides! we're actually going to miss that a bit this time.
    ~~Julie~~

Post Thanks / Like

What about your memories of watching your child(ren) discover Disney World for the first time? Now, I am not recommending you take them just for your benefit, but when they grow up and you show them photos or video of their early Disney trips and you share with them how excited their enjoyment made you then it will all be worthwhile. And if nothing else, even if neither you or your child(ren) get anything out of Disney World then at the very least it won't harm them!

As for the work, what isn't work with small children? Now I will say that we did not take our children until they were old enough to walk (which with most children is somewhere between 8 and 16 months.) But we did that simply because we didn't want to have to make them stay in the stroller or have to carry them the entire day. Once they start walking you can start alternating stroller, walking, and carrying.

Do what you feel is best for you and your family and don't worry about what others say.

Post Thanks / Like

When our son was 18mths old, my husband and I took him to Disneyland. At first, I thought it was a bit silly, but we were visiting friends and really wanted to go. I will never forget the looks on his face...the wonder, the excitement...everything. We are both so glad we got to share that with him.
    We also went to WDW a few years later with our 2 yr old (turned 2 while we were there) and our oldest who was then 5. Loved it...loved it...loved it! Our oldest still remembers the trip (he is 9 now) and my daughter loves seeing the pictures.
    Before children, I had been to Disneyland at least a dozen times, but nothing compares to the memories of sharing that joy with your children...whether they remember it or not!
    Karen
    California Dreamin' with "JustCallMePhil"

WDW - 2002 OFF SITE
    Disneyland - Many, Many times
    DCL & WDW at POP- Nov 2007!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not silly at all!

Coming from someone who was practically "born" in the parks I don't think it's silly at all. My son's first trip was priceless. Yes, he did not understand and sometimes cried at the characters but all and all was enjoyed by all. I don't think it's any more work than heading to the mall! You have to carry stroller, extra diapers, food and a set of clothes anyway so why not in Disney! Just remember to not over do it. Take lots of breaks.

My son has been traveling since he was a week old. He has been to Disney (of course!) numerous times, Niagra Falls, numerous camping trips, Arizona, Ohio, Wildwood New Jersey and Ocean City Maryland.

It's all of what you make it. Expect delays, don't stick to a schedule and most of all ENJOY it. I think one day I will look back on all of this and wonder where the time went. I know people who think that travelling with children is silly but then again they have never had the pleasure of seeing their child smile as wide as the Grand Canyon when they approach Mickey!
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I agree with what you all said and will take your advice to heart. We are going for our own memories and pleasure as much as the kids and dare I say it, can't wait for next winter!

Post Thanks / Like

I think a lot of folks say don't take the young ones that won't remember because WDW can be a very expensive vacation and many people can't/don't want to afford it w/o the kids "getting something out of it". Not that I am in that group--we took DD when she was 18 mos and even though she may not really remember it, she "remembers" from the pictures and the stories we tell about it. Kids don't remember a lot (I LOVE the analogy of going to grandma's house--PERFECT!!!) but that doesn't mean don't do it. Take the kids, take it easy and take LOTS and LOTS of pics/video!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

You shouldn't worry about what "they" think. Everyone has an opinion about everything. If I do or don't do everything that "they" say I should or shouldn't do, I wouldn't need a brain at all and might as well be a robot. So, I'm just going to tell you that you should do what you think is best. As long as you are willing to deal with the little ones while at WDW, then it doesn't matter what anybody else thinks about it. Don't worry about if they will remember it or not. You'll definitely remember it either way. I've been going to WDW since I was 6 months old, and I obviously don't remember all of those trips, but the sum of all of those trips has been very influential in my life and has brought me great joy and numerous positive experiences. It has led me to become a life-long Disney fan. Your kids are only that young once, and you shouldn't deprive yourself and them of the WDW experience since you obviously want to take them. Besides, if you take your kids to WDW, and the experience isn't that great, then you'll know to wait a few years before you go again. Otherwise, you'll never know.
    I'm a dad! My daughter, Eisley, was born on December 17, 2010.

Regular WDW visitor since 1981

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with what others on here have said. Don't worry about what other people think. If you are able to handle 2 young kids in the parks all day, then go for it. You should remember that taking young kids can mean diaper stops, lots of bathroom breaks, folding up strollers for the monorail, bus, trains, etc. and can mean fussing, whining or whatever, but your right...this can be everyday occurances too. Even young, your kids can still enjoy their time at Disney, even if they don't remember it for years to come. This of course is where pictures and video's come into play and usually you can get a lot of memorable pics of your children's first experiences at Disney.
    1996...Magic Music Days...Off Site
    2000...With family...Off site
    2004...Honeymoon...POFQ
    2005...1 yr anniv...POR
    2008...4 year anniv...Windsor Hills
    2011...8 year anniv...Lighthouse Key
    2015...10 Year Anniv...Windsor Hills

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: