Quantcast reasons to stay on property - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

My biggest "problem" with those staying off site is that I don't feel that people compare apples to apples when making their decision.

There are a number of "perks" that you can take advantage of staying on-site. Some of them MAY be tough to put a number around, but the convenience certainly does have a value.

Some things that I think people overlook when determining the real cost of staying off site. In addition to the cost of the room, include the daily rental costs of the car and the parking fees associated with the parking lots. You can get really technical and include the cost of the gas and try to put a price on the time and/or aggrivation of driving if you want as well.

I have nothing against staying off-site, I've done it myself on occasion. Given the choice, I'll be on-site unless there is a significant savings. $10-$20 ain't enough.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Growing up we always stayed off site and DH and I did the same for our honeymoon. When we brought our DS the first time we stayed onsite. It was totally addictive. We came back trying to save $$ and stayed offsite the next time and regretted it everytime we passed under the welcome sign on the way out. It took away a piece of the magic for us. Since then, we always stay onsite. But until we tried it staying off site was fine. We also don't go anywhere else and we stay at the parks most of the day. It would waste too much of the experience for us to have to go back to our hotel for food.
    No one thinks anything less of people staying offsite..we've just been bitten by the Disney bug..or should I say the Mouse!
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Actually, I have considered using the house rentals. But as of yet not.

As for reasons to stay on-site, well for me.....

1) I don't want to break the mood. I don't have to go back out into the "real world", or deal with traffic, or other things to distract from my "Disnification" (sorry, just made that word up)

2) I don't need a car.

3) If I use the DDP, I don't have to stop and eat, or even worse, think about fixing my own meals. I love to cook, but not on vacation.

4) When I'm with the family, I REALLY enjoy the additional freedom of other family members being able to go back to the room to nap, or swim, or relax. Or to be able to go back to the park at night or whatever. Of course if the kids are younger, that's not so much of a benefit, but with older kids, it was really a blessing.

5) I enjoy being around people. I enjoy going swimming around others who are playing and having fun. I enjoy the possibility of chatting with people I don't know. You can really meet some interesting people from some interesting places. To me, that's part of the fun.

6) though a minor reason, I enjoy the resort TV options while staying onsite. Just part of the Disney immersion I guess.

7) I REALLY like using EMH. Morning EMH works great to keep the peace in the morning. I wake up, get up, and go. I'm having fun, while those who prefer to sleep in are sleeping. I'm not getting impatient waiting on them, and they're not getting impatient with me being impatient with them. As they get up, they can call and we meet. Perhaps one at a time, or as a group. And if it's just the wife and me, believe me, it does wonders to keep the peace in the morning.

7) Here lately, it's just the wife and I, or maybe one of the kids, and we really don't need the extra space of the house. But, if I ever go with the entire clan again, we might go with the house method.

You know, in the past, when we have done Universal, and other area attractions, we've moved to a hotel closer to that attractions. I really think when we do it again, I may just stay at WDW. I'd much prefer that to finding a "nice" Comfort Inn near Universal.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

I certainly don't look down on people who stay off property, but I don't think they really understand Disney. Many people think of Disney World as 4 theme parks. It is actually a magical world that happens to incorporate 4 theme parks. I could spend a very wonderful vacation there without ever entering a theme park. Every time you leave the property, you leave the magic and it's like commuting home from work. However, if you would like a different perspective, check out the April 8 podcast of Inside the Magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Am i the only one who noticed the dead tired family with sleepy, whining kids.. leaving the monorail at the ttc saying... We'll be at the car in just a minute... or, you can sleep in ... or you can get a drink in.. or there is food to eat in ... THE CAR!!!

Leaving the car for the entire stay is part of the magic for me.

Staying offsite forces you to "max out" your stay that day at the park.

Seeing and hearing (all of the above more than once) made me a believer.

Scott
    Honeymoon, 89
    Poly 2002
    CR 2003
    Shades of Green May 2007
    GF June 2014 (25th Anniversary)

Spartanburg, South Carolina - 8 Hours away from WDW!
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

1. Disney transportation.
    2. On-property car rental options. You can rent a car for the day(s) that you venture through Orlando without having to keep it rented throughout a week.
    3. Disney 24/7. You get totally immersed into the experience that is second to none. Remember, this is the number 1 vacation destination in the world for a reason.
    4. Resort TV.
    5. Non-theme park options that are accessible. The water parks, Downtown Disney, Pleasure Island, Mini Golf, etc.
    6. Flexibility. You can split up your day, go back to your resort for a couple of hours, divide up your group, etc. Because of Disney tansportation and the proximity of the resorts, there is great flexibility based on your needs.
    30 Visits from 1986 thru 2007
    Resorts -
    All Star Music
    All Star Movies
    All Star Sports
    Caribbean Beach Club
    Port Orleans Riverside
    Boardwalk Inn
    Wilderness Lodge
    DtD Grosvenor
    DtD Courtyard(now the Holiday Inn)
    DtD Doubletree
    DtD Hilton
    Marriot World Center

Post Thanks / Like

I think the advantages and disadvantages are based on preference. Financially, it makes all the sense in the world to stay off-site. If you want 100% of the experience, staying on site is the most important.

For me, our first full family trip will be on site. It is going to cost a bundle. After this first major trip, we will be doing value or moderate resorts or staying off-site.

People just need to weigh the pros and cons of both. I don't think there is a way to convince someone one way or another. Each person needs to map out what they want from their vacation and see what it takes to meet those goals.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: