A Star Wars Wild Weekend -- A PolyGirl40 Trip Report

5/14/04 – Day Two

Who turned out the lights? – Star Wars Mania & the Best Chicken EVER!

May 14, 2004 – Hot & Humid (88/68)

Starting Line-up:
Me: Carol
#1 Son: Jeremy

Dates: May 13-17, 2004

I woke up to a very stuffy room and complete darkness. We had no power. I climbed out of bed to see if it was just our room or the entire resort. I could see the lights on across the lake and the lamps were lit on our walkway. Hmmmm. Now what? I had no idea what time it was. I needed to get up at 5:30.

I figured I’d call the main desk … but what button were they? I couldn’t see the phone! I decided to wing it and feel for button 1. Nope that was bell services. They were able to tell me that the resort was testing their backup power system. (It would have been nice to let the guests know.) The Cast Member had no idea how long it would be until power was restored and suggested that I call the Main Desk. OK – but I cannot see my phone! I asked her if she could patch me through. She said she’d try. Well – I did get the front desk and found out that the power would be back in approximately 15/20 minutes. I asked her what time it was. It was 5:08AM.

I might as well stay up. I was afraid the system would not be working for my wake-up call in 30 minutes. I wasn’t quite sure how I would get ready without power though. Nonetheless power was back up and running within that time frame. I still think they should have let guests know about the test. After all, they left us messages each day about Extra Magic Hour - why not something as important as a planned loss of power? [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

We were out the door and on our way by 7-ish. We popped into the convenient store for a coffee and Sprite. Neither Jer nor I are very big breakfast eaters. We opt to skip since we had a noon PS at 50’s Prime time Café.

I was so excited for Jeremy. [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img] Star Wars Weekend was a dream come true for him. He is such a fan! I could see his excitement swelling as the clocked ticked down. A bus pulled up shortly before 7:30. MGM is only a hop-skip-and-a-jump from Coronado Springs. (Another reason why we selected this resort.) Before long we were at the front of the turnstiles waiting to be let in. We knew it would be over an hour wait --- but that was OK with us. We were here! [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img]

Guest Relations opened up and I activated my Annual Pass while Jer listened to all of the hype from the other fans in line. At 8:45 we were let into a roped off area on the main street to alleviate some of the congestion behind us at the gates. Stormtroopers were atop the entrance roof - as Star Wars music blared over the sound system.

I must say it pays to be organized and prepared. We knew we had to head right to the Millionaire attraction to get Fast Passes for the autograph signing. As soon as they dropped the rope we were on way -- along with a few 1,000 other people. It is imperative to obtain these passes first and foremost in the morning. You are allowed one pass per park ticket. If you want the second celebrity you must go to the end of the line and start again. We opted to get one Fast Pass for each star, since Jeremy is the fan. I would be the photographer. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Even though we were among the first guests through the gates our signing times were split. I got an 11:45 time for Jeremy Bulloch, while Jer received a 2:50 time for Jake Lloyd. Of course I gave Jeremy my Fast Pass. (There are 3 signing opportunities during the day. They are limited to 45 minute sessions. Once the Fast Passes are gone – no more are issued. They do offer a stand-by line. However, an autograph is not guaranteed. It is based on time allowance after Fast Pass guests are finished.)

With a happy Star Wars fan in tow and 2 autograph Fast Passes we head on over to Tatooine Traders. Jeremy had a shopping list the size of his arm. As luck would have it they were just setting up the cart at the Backlot Express. We scored almost all of the Star Wars Weekend exclusive merchandise in one hit. The only thing missing was the Jedi Mickey beanie. Yay! We had our packages sent to our resort and headed to the Star Tours shop on an action figure and Jedi Mickey plush hunt.

The line for merchandise was HUGE .. out the door and around the corner. Since the store is small they were limiting the amount of people allowed in. We went on the attraction and got into the shop that way. Apparently the Jedi Mickey beanie had not made it to Orlando yet. Guests had to fill out a form and pay for the product. It would then be sent to the front of the park at the end of the day. OK. I guess that means we have to get into that big ol’ line - huh? It was the longest we waited in all trip. [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] The line moved so, so slowly. What are ya gonna do?

On a positive note, while waiting to check out we had a Mikki and Andrew sighting. That was very cool and a very nice treat. I think Figaro was hiding from the Wookie -- as we didn’t see the kitty.

After leaving Star Tours we meandered around the park soaking in the entire event atmosphere. We met many Star Wars characters along the way … including a visit with Jedi Mickey. Evidently Sorcerer Mickey has the next few weekends off. It was very fun!

Note; If you are going to MGM for this event do not consider it to be your MGM park day. There is no way to do the park and see all of the Star Wars stuff. The various shows and attractions offered will impede on the regular stuff. We weren’t even able to attend the Great Movie Ride INTERCOT meet since we wanted to see the 4:30 showing of Behind the Force.

Anyhoo ----

[ May 20, 2004, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: PolyGirl40 ]