I bought the Unofficial Guide to walt Disney World because so many people on here say they loved it.

I'm on page 300 (of 700) and get such negative vibes from it.

I'm not looking for hype, we have Birnbaums for that, I just want information presented straight forward.

There seems to be so many negative comments, most of which I don't agree at all with.

A few observations...

I don't think the 2003 edition of a book should be telling you to visit River Country during your break from the MK.

It definately shouldn't be refering to the Poly longhouses by thier old names (see page 119). Didn't they chnage names in 1999?
(it seems a lot of old text has been repeated, which is fine if the info is still true)

They state the resorts have so many "seasons" that is too confusing. I didnt realize 4 seasons were so confusing. (No wonder i see so many people heading to the beach in winter in New York) okay i'll cut the sarcasm but we all know when holiday season is.. if you ask once you know peak is presidents week thru april/easter. The only surprise maybe is that the deluxes have value season in the summer after July 4th.

There are many letters by readers but they all seem to have the same condescending tone as if heavily edited by the same person.....telling how horrible their experiences were and how they should have listened to the book.

It amazes me that so many people who claim to have kids don't know thier young children need to take naps. But everyone who doesnt have them does know this.

They seem to put down so many restaurants ("...remember it is still just buffet food which isn't as good as freshly cooked") even when a glance at the readers rating give it 90% approval.

The advice to take a break midday is good but there is no one who could convince me that you can stay offsite and still be back at your hotel in 20 minutes from the MK. Counting from when you leave the gates I'd think it would take you at least 15 min to get to your room at the GF using the monorail.

They tell you to join the Disney Club ( through your employer...didn't that stop a few years ago...) even though the program has stopped taking new applications as of dec 2002 and the employer part was even before that.

There were quite a few others that i kept bouncing off my wife as i read it.
(they made it seem typical that your rented stroller will be "stolen" 6 times in one day at one park and 5 times a day at another)

My wife seemed as confused as I was the way they described many aspects. There was even profanity used in a letter from a reader.

I'm not even half way through but I woudn't recommend this book. I enjoyed Passporter a great deal more for its information and intercot for its variety.

Any opinions?

[ May 26, 2003, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: MR.MIKE ]