Being a huge Disney fan, I can't believe I'm considering vacationing somewhere else. But with the kids getting older, having logged 12 trips in the past 13 years to WDW - and with all the closures and construction at DHS in the next couple of years - we thought we might give Universal a try next year. I'd like to do as much research as possible before we go - so I can feel prepared and make the best decisions in my planning.

First - a little about us. No one in our family is into Harry Potter - although we will probably want to see it since everyone raves about it so much. The kids are into roller coasters and the little one is into the Minions. The kids - not really so little -will be 14 and 10 by the time we go so I don't anticipate any issues with height restrictions.

Guess the things I'm curious about are: accommodations, dining and park tickets. On-site vs. off-site accommodations. Dining recommendations (we are usually a counter service family at WDW - how does Universal compare to WDW's options (price, selection, etc.). Park tickets - front of line pass necessary? We'd be looking at spring break - which is not near Easter next year, but I assume it will be busy at end of March anyway.

I'd really appreciate any and all thoughts on Universal. It's just going to be out of my "comfort zone" - which as you can tell by my 12 trips to WDW in 13 years - I like to be comfortable and know what to expect when possible. We usually stay at Coronado Springs at WDW and rely on bus transportation to parks. I assume the best way to do Universal is with a rental car. Is there any benefit to staying on-site with parking at the parks - like at Disney?

Thanks again for all comments/opinions/reviews of all aspects of Universal!