My boyfriend's company is sending him as part of the sales team to a conference in Vegas at the end of June, and I get to go with him! He's exhibiting at American Library Association so in addition to collecting free books from the publisher's booths, I am looking for things to do and need your suggestions! Here are some things to consider:

-I have never been to Vegas before.
-I don't really gamble but will play some slot machines and maaaaybe a game of 21 or two (at the $5 tables!)
-My DBF will be working at the exhibit hall most of the day so I am looking for good solo activities. He's been to Vegas a bunch of times but won't be able to spend much time with me.
-We are not staying on the strip. The conference is at the Las Vegas Convention Center but I know the monorail (they have those outside Disney?? Who knew!) runs from the Convention Center to the strip.
-I will arrive on a Thursday afternoon and taking the red eye home the following Tuesday night.

Here are the activities I know about that I want to do:
-Pool time
-Fountain show
-Pirate show
-Lions at the MGM Grand
-Walk around and see the following hotels: Caesar's Palace, The Venetian, The Bellagio, Luxor, New York New York, Paris.
-See at least one Cirque show

Here's where I need help!
-What other hotels should I add to my list?
-What else is there to do that's free and/or low cost (like $25 to $30?)
-Are there affordable places to eat like food courts? How much are meals at mid-priced restaurants (not the super upscale places)
-Which Cirque show should we see? I've never seen one at all, and DBF has seen Ka and Zumanity. We are splurging on tickets for good seats so the price isn't that much a concern here.
-Is downtown Las Vegas worth it? We may go see Book of Mormon at the Smith Center for the Performing Arts and would make an evening of spending time off the strip.
-Anything else I should know?

Thanks so much for your help!