When: August 20 – 28, 2013

Who: Gene & Me

Today: August 21, 2013 - Wednesday

Plan for the Day: Blizzard Beach; Lunch at Rose and Crown

The Reality:

It’s 7 in the morning before we begin to stir.

Since the vacation club was running a special on premium annual passes last year, we bought our vouchers during our trip in October. We have not been to any of the water parks for a number of years but, since they are included with our current annual passes, we thought we’d give them a go this time around.

By time we get out of bed and get ourselves ready to go, it’s close to 9. We drive over to Blizzard Beach (visiting the water parks was my main impetus for wanting a rental on this trip) and arrive around 9:15. My annual pass will not work at the turnstile to allow me in. The cast member who is going to square this away for me wants picture ID. I did not bring my license with me – only my annual pass and my room key. Because Gene drove over, he has his license with him and offers that picture ID which they accept – along with my answer as to which park I had visited the day before. He tells me he will reset my pass for me. Whew!

Once in the park, we rent a locker and a couple of towels. We find a lounge down by the pool. Since we don’t plan to spend a considerable amount of time here, we probably will not need two lounges. We spend a little while in the pool then head over to the Lazy River. We make one complete circuit – I take a tumble getting out of the tube and bang my knee on the bottom – probably wouldn’t have done that if the water had been just a little bit deeper.

We then decide to do Teamboat Springs family raft. We climb all the stairs and are quickly put into a raft with a dad and his two sons. That was a really fun ride!! We decide to do it again but to take the ski lift to the top this time. The ski lift line is the longest of the morning! Once at the top, we are paired with another couple and have another fun ride to the bottom – it’s hard to get out of that tube!! Back to the lazy river though we don’t do a complete circuit this time.

We’re back home around noon for showers and to dress. Our toilet tissue holder has broken so Gene calls to have that repaired. The person arrives within minutes of the call and it is quickly fixed.

We walk over to the Epcot. Boy, is it steamy out!! We enter through the International Gateway and, thankfully, my park pass behaves and allows me a problem free admission! After wandering through the United Kingdom shops, we’re still about 40 minutes or so early for our reservation at Rose n Crown but check in anyway. I’m asked if we would like to be seated now. Yes, please. We are led to an indoor table and ask if we could dine outside. Request allowed. Wonderful!! There is a lovely breeze on the patio so we have a wonderful luncheon of fish and chips.

Since I know Spaceship Early is about to go down for refurb, we head there directly after lunch. This is a walk-on. I check on Test Track but My Disney Experience says it is temporarily down so we head, instead, into Mouse Gears. Gene buys me a wonderful Mickey case for my new camera. We are about ready to head out but decide to wait a while since we’re in the midst of another downpour.
Once the rain ends, we head back out and towards Mexico. After visiting with Mickey and the Caballeros, we check out the tequila bar which is totally empty but decide to forgo having a drink here.

The standby time for the ride in Norway is 130 minutes?!!! Are you kidding me??!! It’s a cute ride but not worth standing in line for 2+ hours for so on we go.

We arrive at the bridge just as it is being raised for the Illuminations barges to come through so watch that until the operation is complete and the bridge lowered again. It’s beginning to look quite threatening again and it smells like rain in the air. We stop in Germany for beers and are able to find a table under cover. While the wind picks up and the skies are quite dark, it does not rain the entire time we are there.

Once again, we head out into World Showcase. We wander through shops as whim dictates and check out the new French sandwich and dessert restaurant. Just as we exit International Gateway, it begins to rain though not hard. The rain persists as we head towards home. We stop in the bakery and purchase a couple of roast beef sandwiches for later along with a couple of chocolate chip cookies. I want a Mickey bar so we head over to the general store but they are out of them. Disappointed, we head back to our room. Still raining but not very hard.

We just get into our room and the skies open up – look at that downpour!

I get on line to inform Sunpass that we have a rental and register our rental car with them. I also check and see that they have correctly deducted the tolls we went through yesterday on our way here. Then I sat down to catch up on these notes.

The rain has ended now so it is time for me to enjoy some time out on the balcony. Gene is already out there!!

We ate our sandwiches on the balcony. Boardwalk seemed rather subdued – I think the earlier rains kept folks away. Still, a number of folks showed up shortly before Illuminations to watch the fireworks. We watched them as well. Shortly after that, it was time for me to put a bath bomb in the tub and have a relaxing tubbie for me before bed!!