We have utilized the child swap at attractions where our daughter did not meet the height requirement. When we did this, we were given a rider switch pass where the parent that waited with our daughter used the pass to go through the fast pass que. When we were there on our last visit we encountered a different situation. Our son is 9 years old and meets the height requirement on all attractions at the 4 parks. He has autism, and we get a GAC for him. There are some rides that he could ride but does not want to ride, such as Space Mountain and Splash Mountain. When we went to ride Space Mtn we explained to the cast member about our son not wanting to ride and thought we might could get a Rider Switch Pass. The cast member explained how the switch pass was just for a child that did not meet the height requirement. However, he instructed us to go through the que together, and then once we got to the loading area, inform the cast member that our son did not want to ride and say we wanted switch out. My wife was then told to wait with our son in an area while I rode with our daughter. Then once we had ridden, my daughter then went to where my wife was, and she then rode with our daughter while I waited with our son.

Is this a normal practice in a situation where a child meets the height requirement but does not want to ride, or did they just make an exception in this case?