Day 1 - Travel Day
ME
DW
DS - 13
DD - 13
Home: Boston, Ma
Staying at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge
July 16 -July 23

It had been over 5 years since our last trip to WDW, back in May of 2006 , and my first summer trip since I was 15 years old, 26 years ago. On their first trip our twins were 3, on the second trip 6, last trip they were 8, and are now 13 going to be 14 in September. I knew this was going to be a different feel from past trips seeing the kids are now much older. I have also looked at this as our last trip with the “kids”. Will they want to go when they are 16 or 17? If they do go will they want to hang with mom and dad? I wanted to make the most of this trip, we did, and we had a blast!

Alarm rang at 3am to wake up DW. I had not slept so there was no need to wake me. I had been up all night going over check lists, packing the car, made sure we had all our paperwork, paced, worried, etc, etc.. After scurrying around and getting the kids up, we set off to my sisters at 4:30am. We were leaving my car and one of our dogs at her house, and she was driving us to the airport. We got to Logan airport at 5:45 for a 7am flight, we had our boarding passes already from checking in online and just breezed through security, good start so far. Our flight left on time and landed early, what a nice combination. We were on the ground at MCO at 9:40am, that was BOS to MCO in 2h 40m. We used DME so we bypassed baggage claim and went straight to a waiting bus with no line. The bus left almost immediately after we got on. We arrived at VWL at about 10:45. Wow, what a great first impression, I loved the feel of this resort right from the start. I knew immediately it would not disappoint. We had pre-shipped a package to ourselves with coffee, filters, sun screen, snacks, cereal, etc. ahead of time. When we checked in we were informed it had arrived. Our room was not ready but the girl at the front desk called and found one that was available and had us switched. It was perfect, room 5528 top floor on the corner, nobody above us. We were handed our package, stopped at the concierge desk to ask about Flag family and check in for HDDR for that night at 7:15, unfortunately no Flag Family. We were in our room at just about 11:20, that had to be the smoothest travel day I have ever had. We quickly checked out the room and set off to grab something to eat and explore the resort. We were on the DDP so we were off to Roaring Forks to grab a bite. Although a very limited menu, the food was good and we were starving so it hit the spot.

After lunch we walked past the DVC booth in the Lobby, they asked us if we wanted to tour Saratoga Springs, we told them we would much rather see BLT, so she set it up and we took the boat over for a tour. We loved the resort, and spoke to a few people staying there, they all loved it. The pitch felt really high pressure, we kept hearing we have to act now, all resorts are filling up. I guess for Disney that is a good problem to have. I have RCI and was considering selling my current Timeshare and buying into DVC but I am still on the fence. I think if I do follow through I would buy from the re-sale market rather from Disney anyways. We received 4 instant fast pass cards for taking the tour with 3 fast passes on each card, good for 4 days following the tour.

After the tour it was back to WL, it was about 3:30pm, the idea was to take a dip in the pool and get to Fort Wilderness for HDDR at 7:15. When we got to the room I laid on the couch for just a minute since I had been up all night. Ya right, next thing I know DW was waking me to get ready for dinner. I was kind of glad because I really needed the nap after being up for so long. We were off for a quick boat ride to FW for the HDDR. As usual, the show was great, with plenty of laughs, beer, and chicken. We all had a great time and it was a perfect start to our vacation.

When we got back to the room it took about 2.5 mins for me to fall asleep.

Wake up call scheduled for 6am. The plan for the first full day, Animal Kingdom and Evening EMH at Magic Kingdom until 3am.