So, we bought a Netbook a few months ago. Primary reason was for use while traveling. We also need a new portable dvd player, so we figured we'd just use the netbook for that purpose, and we bought an external DVD drive ($60).

I only recently opened the drive to see how it would work with the netbook (no need for it previously). It will NOT play any DVD's!!! It will play an audio cd, and will load software cd-rom, but when I put in a DVD, it will not play it at all, won't give me any auto play options, and when I click on the title of the movie, all I get are a bunch of audio and video file folders.

My problem is that I cannot return this drive now. We got it from Best Buy and they only have a 30 day return policy. However, this drive is useless to us without the capability to play DVD's!

Is there something I am doing wrong? Our netbook runs Windows 7 starter. Or, is this DVD drive just a piece of junk?

I am ready to go buy a portable dvd player, but I don't want to spend more money if there is a simple fix for this problem.

Any tech advice???