Quantcast Our Disney Vacation - What Footwear to Bring?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Our Disney Vacation - What Footwear to Bring?

Hi all,
    We're planning our next Disney vacation for this September and I'm thinking about getting some of those 'Crocs' shoes. I've never worn them but everything I read about them is very positive. Several Disney books have said they are great shoes to use in Disney. To those of you who own Crocs - are they really that comfortable? Would they be a good choice?

Thanks!!
    See You Real Soon!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You either love them or you hate them! Having heard so much about them, and seeing them all over Disneyworld on our trips, I ordered some for our trip last month...needless to say, I never wore them, and ended up sending them back! I just couldn't bring myself to put those things on!!! I stuck with my tried and true cozy sneaks and other cozy slip ons for dressier dinners and such. I couldn't quite pull off the crocs without feeling goofy , but as I said, people love them! So decide and happy feet to you!
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

I'm wary of Crocs because for every person who loves them, I've heard of a person who got horrible blisters from them. I find that a good pair(or two, alternate) of athletic shoes works best for me. I wear mine with padded white socks, like I wear to the gym. I pack a lot of socks. I'm always shocked to see women walking around parks in high heels. I don't know how they do it.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I just got back last week. After a few days in tennis shoes, my feet were killing me. I decided I had nothing to lose and bought a pair of Disney crocs from the Emporium.

It was the difference between night and day! No blisters, no sweating or sliding, total comfort. I don't think they are the prettiest things, but they sure saved my feet!!
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I too was wary of the Crocs...but I took the plunge and bought some....during my previous 3 trips, my feet hurt by then end of day 1..for this trip, my feet did not hurt until day 3 even then never as bad as before...usually by the end of the day, I could barely walk to my room, but I wore Crocs everyday for this trip and never had a problem making back to the room in the evenings.

I wore them prior to the trip for a few weeks only on the weekend and never had any blisters. My niece did develop a blister prior to the trip, but did fine during our visit.

DJ
    1978-offsite
    December 2003-POR
    June 2005-POFQ
    February 2006-Off site
    June 2006-POFQ
    March 2007-POFQ
    June 6-13, 2008- POFQ

Next: Christmas-New Year's Disneyland or World...not sure yet, but I will be at one!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I took a pair of Croc Caymens and Croc Athens. I did not like the Caymens at all, my feet ached at the end of the 1st day and I found that I needed socks with them I didn't like the way they "stuck" to my skin. (I had worn them to work to "break them in" before we left.) I don't see what the deal with them is, my Asics Gel's athletic shoes are much more comfy than those Caymens were.

Now my Athens (flip flops) are a whole nother story - They have thicker padding than the Caymens or Beach style. They are the most comfortable things I have ever put on my feet and I wore them for the remaining 8 days of our trip. My DD also chose to wear her Athens every day after day 1.

I would suggest with the Athens that they are broken in since the foot strap sits high up and it took my foot a little while to get used to it.
    MamaCatNV
    Married 19 yrs Mom to:
    DS 17 & DD 8

POFQ-1/1-1/9/07- No More NYE for Awhile
    ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 - NYE
    ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 - NYE/Turn of the Century
    DL lived near too many visits to count

Post Thanks / Like

I wore Crocs at Disneyland last year, and hate to say that my feet did indeed sweat in them. I didn't care for that at all. I only wear them around home now when it rains.

I'll be sticking with my Teva's for park touring from now on! They've never given me any problems through the years. Tried and true!

Post Thanks / Like

We bring our Crocs for after the parks (going to the pool) or DTD.

We all wear really comfy socks and a good pair of running style sneakers during the day. No blisters or achy feet.

Too scared to try anything other then what works so well.
    DVC Members @ SSR
    19 Trips since 1996:
    Caribbean Beach Resort-2x's, Dixie Landings-2x, POFQ-2x's, POR-3x's All Star Movies-4x's, Pop-1x, Saratoga Springs-2x, BWV-1x, OKW-2x

Just got back: August 17th-22nd POR

Post Thanks / Like

I've worn Tevas and been very comfortable but I, too, have been considering Crocs. I might try those Athens that were mentioned.....
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears View Post
    I wore Crocs at Disneyland last year, and hate to say that my feet did indeed sweat in them. I didn't care for that at all. I only wear them around home now when it rains.

I'll be sticking with my Teva's for park touring from now on! They've never given me any problems through the years. Tried and true!
    I'm with you. My same pair of teva's have comfortably taken me through 3 trips to the world! And, they are still in great shape. I am not a big tennis shoe fan and i find the Teva's to be perfect
    Jen

Always ready to talk Disney
    Grand Floridian**Contemporary**Polynesian**Wilderness Lodge**Yacht Club**Dolphin**Port Orleans French Quarter**All Star Movies**All Star Music**POP Century**Disney Wonder**Disney Magic**Disney Dream**VWL**Old Key West**Animal Kingdom Lodge**Bay Lake Tower

Post Thanks / Like

Comfortable, comfortable shoes. Try to have them worn in and bring some bandages for potential blisters. You don't want to let uncomfortable shoes or a blister ruin your vacation.
    90- CR/Poly
    92- off-site
    93- Poly
    94- CBR
    96- CR
    99- CR
    01- off-site
    02- off-site
    03- off-site
    03- CR/Poly
    04- CR/Poly
    06- Poly
    17- Poly

Post Thanks / Like

When we went last fall, I took two pair of athletic shoes and a pair of Crocs. For the most part, I alternated between the athletic shoes, but I wore my Crocs to the pool and to the Animal Kingdom (anticipating wet feet on Kali River Rapids) so I wouldn't have to be in wet socks and shoes. During the hottest part of the day they did slip a little, but I just switched the strap from the "clogs" position to sit on my heel and that solved the problem. I think that regardless of your choice, it helps to have at least two pair of shoes to switch around.
    Kim
    1st Trip - 1986 - Howard Johnsons in DTD for our honeymoon
    2nd Trip - Sept, 2006 - Wilderness Lodge for our anniversary w/2 sons 7 & 9
    3rd Trip - Sept, 2008 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Crocs and while they're ok, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Birki Beach Sandals the most. I have them in pink and white. They are, oh so comfortable. I got them from QVC.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/m...&cm_ite=A19700
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ž.•*š)ž.•*š)ž.•*šMagicž.•*š)ž.•*š)ž.•*š

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

'Nother Crocs vote here. Though I haven't subjected them to the World, I did do an entire day in Ontario Place in the height of summer (in Southern Ontario, this is basically summer Florida weather - hot sun and the humidity is like breathing in a wet cloth) with no blisters or aches. They have basically the same surfaces as Disney - concrete, brick, some grass - and we were there from 9 AM to well after 10 PM, went everywhere, did everything...

I was a bit concerned because we spent a couple hours in the waterpark as well as doing the amusements and the Chinese Lantern festival - waterparks leave my feet soft and liable to blister, so I had extra socks and tennies, but I didn't need them. Seriously, I'm buying another pair to go to Disney with, and will have a set of more "normal" shoes just in case we go somewhere dressy.
    Once as a kid
    Sept 1992 with hubby offsite
    May 2005 Disneyland Paris!
    Sept 2005 with hubby POP!
    Sept 2007 with hubby POP!
    Sept 2009 with hubby - AS Sports!
    Sept 2014 with hubby - POP!

Post Thanks / Like

I usually alternate my Adidas Climacool sneakers with a pair of Keens. Both keep the feet cool and are very comfortable. My wife had those Croc flip flops last trip and really liked them.
    "They've done research you know...60% of the time, it works every time"

Post Thanks / Like

I alternate two different pairs of ASICS running shoes with good thick socks with a little Body Glide on the places that I have blistered in the past. Body Glide is a great product.

I second having the bandages on hand. Nothing worse than having a blister with all the walking at WDW.

Most important thing is to make sure you've broken in whatever feels/works best for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I wear my crocs everyday - I don't even wear sneakers anymore and I have a really comfy pair. I work 12 hr shifts as a nurse and love them for work since I'm on my feet more than I sit. I do like them better with socks although I can wear mine both ways. I intend to get a pair or 2 of the flip-flop styles since I love flip-flops for the warmer weather. If you decide you want crocs, I suggest that you definately try them out all day - a marathon shopping day at the mall or something - to be sure that they are not going to bother you. Try them both with and without socks. The Payless Shoes brand is cheaper and has nearly the same feel as "real" crocs but the Walmart knock-offs are much stiffer and not nearly as comfy.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest you wear whatever is most comfortable for you. For this family, we choose to wear our comfortable well worn tennis shoes with a pair of padded athletic socks (the ankle kind not the knee type ) My DDs always take their favorite flip-flops from Old Navy. They say they are the most comfortable flip-flops you can buy. I have some trouble with my feet and I always have worn my New Balance tennis shoes and make it back to the room each day with no foot pain at all. Tired feet, yes, sore feet, no. Whatever you choose, make sure they are broken in real good before you go. By the way, we have never had trouble with blisters either!
    Diane

Past trips to WDW:
    12/12 CBR with free dining
    5/10 CBR with free dining
    4/09 CBR couples only trip for 20th anniv.
    9/08 Pop with free dining
    5/07 Pop
    4/05 Pop
    12/04 Pop
    4/04 Pop
    12/02 AS Sports
    4/02 AS Movies
    3/00 Ft. Wilderness Cabins

Post Thanks / Like

This is a very individual question.

If I'm there any length of time, I like to bring two pairs of light sneakers to alternate. It takes more than overnight to really dry them out. I also bring a pair of water shoes or Teva's for days I anticipate rain, or for riding Kali, etc. Also good to have the water shoes for waterparks

Post Thanks / Like

i got a pair of Reef flips, the nice cushy thick ones, and my feet didn't hurt once during the week of walking! I swear by them!
    Last visit to Disneyland : Oct/07
    WDW: Sept/06!!

Dreaming of the next trip...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: