Quantcast Medical Emergency?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Medical Emergency?

We will be taking our DD's friend with us to WDW this May. If we would have a real medical emergency with this girl and need to take her to a medical center in the area what will I need to have in order for them to treat her? I'm thinking of having a permission slip from her parents of some sort along with their insurance card, but should we have it notarized with witnesses? I don't want to go unprepared and need help for her. She doesn't have any medical problems, I just want to be prepared for the worst if need be. Can anyone give me some answers or point me in the right direction for an answer. Thanks ahead of time.

Diane

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You will need a power of attorney for medical attention in order to get medical assistance for a child that is not your own. You can Google for what the form has to say or download one from several free sites, get the parents of the girl to sign it in front of a notary public and that will give you legal ability to act on their behalf in an emergency. This is the ONLY way to guarantee a hospital, doctor or anyone would view you as a legal guardian while the child is in your care during a vacation. If you have an attorney or the other child's parents have one it's an easy form to obtain and most legal offices are used to this type of request. Once you get the power of attorney all you need is a copy of an insurance card and you are set!
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Great planning homeschool mom and great reply NotaGeek!

I've had a copy of the insurance card, a letter from the parents and cellphone/homephone numbers but the POA is best to avoid any delays in treatment. Also good for evidence you are allowed to take a minor across state lines.
    Steve "I'm Grumpy because you're Dopey"
    90Treehouse, 93Clubhouse Villa(DD2), 96Hotel Plaza(DD5&2), 99CR, 01OKW(expecting DS), 03POR (luv the trundle), 04AKL, 06ASMo(DW40, DD2), 07DLRP/PC, 08Y&BC/PC/DLRP, 09ASMusic/Cruise, 10ASSp/Pop, 11POR/Cruise, 12DLR, 13PC/Cruise, 14ASMu, 15CRx2, 16CR&ASMo(DW50)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, NotAGeek for that great answer. You have been very helpful. I will head on over to Google right now to try and find that form.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Also remember in a real life threatening emergency, they will treat the patient while they are working on getting consent. We never delay treatment if that delay could harm or even kill someone , while we wait to get consent. Usually in the ER where I work 2 of us will obtain phone consent when it's needed. I would make sure to have every phone number possible to contact the parents at any time.

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that is good advice.....

Also, coming from someone who works on an ambulance....if it's a life-threatening emergency.... We'll do what we need to do to save a life....period. Paperwork or no paperwork.

But - what we like to have IF it is life-threatening is a list of:
    - name
    - PCP
    - ALLERGIES
    - Past Medical History

- SS#
    - Paren'ts info /phone
    - insurance

Allergies and Past Medical History are the most important.
    WDW is my happy place

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carolee View Post
    But - what we like to have IF it is life-threatening is a list of:
    - name
    - PCP
    - ALLERGIES
    - Past Medical History
    - SS#
    - Paren'ts info /phone
    - insurance

Allergies and Past Medical History are the most important.

Oh yes, make sure you have all this too!!!! I can't believe I forgot all that Carolee

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Stephanie ---- I think you and I were sending a message at the same time because you didn't have a message up when I read the thread.

You can see a difference in the pre-hospital setting vs. the definitive care setting. he he

We don't worry about phone calls....just helping the patient and getting them to ya'll.
    WDW is my happy place

Post Thanks / Like

My cousin went on a far-away trip with a friend and had a horrible asthma attack while they were gone. They were able to get consent from her mother over the telephone to treat her.
    Last trips: August 06, May 07, November 08, June 09
    Next trip: May 21-30, 2012

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone for the great advice. You've all been a great help. Hopefully, we won't need to use any of your advice.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Ya'll will be fine. Just remember to be calm....don't let emotions rule the situation. Let logic.....
    WDW is my happy place

Natazu Guest

Good planning and good responses. Five stars!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: