Quantcast HM "Ring" Gone - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HM "Ring" Gone

Post Thanks / Like

The umbrella actually comes and goes quite a bit... I wouldn't be surprised to see it come back one day.
    Proud Movie Rider since 6/03
    "Everybody just sit tight.... Running a red light's against the law! And I'd NEVER break the law... hey kid - watch this! (Shoots out light) No more red light!
    Look out, the bank's gonna blow! YEEEEEEHAW!!"

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Wilcox
    The umbrella actually comes and goes quite a bit... I wouldn't be surprised to see it come back one day.
    Do you really think so Jeremy? How long is it usually gone for? Based on things I've been reading it seems like it's been gone for a good few months now. I really hope they put it back because I was looking forward to it on my next trip. We never spotted it before.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Charleston, SC- 395.4 miles/6 hrs. & 15 min. from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ring seen in October

As many times as we have been to WDW, we had never heard that legend before. Then on our way down to WDW for this past Halloween, we were listening to a podcast that was doing a Disney Halloween tribute. In this tribute, they told about the legend of the ring. So, when we rode HM, we happened to strike up a conversation with the guy in line behind us. Turns out, he was an off duty CM. On the way out, he showed us the spot where the alleged ring is. We saw it in October, so that may have been our first and last time to see it. I've walked by that spot so many times and never even knew to look for it!
    Tara °O°

AP holder since '03 and DVC owner since '08

Next Up:
    April '10--DH, DS11, and me--Spring break/Saratoga Springs Resort/ Flower and Garden Festival

Post Thanks / Like

"They tooks the precious!! I told you they was tricksey!"

Sorry, I had to.
    We have 999 Happy Haunts here...but there's always room for a thousand.

Post Thanks / Like

We were just there the 15th thru the 24th....alas...we looked too and it is gone!!!! Asked a CM....got the same "it has been cemented over story.......
    ---------------------------------
    DVC Member Since 04/08 Animal Kingdom Villas

CS 5/2010, SS 4/2010, AKV 11/2009, BW 5/2009,
    SS 2/2009, SS 10/2008, POR 7/2008, WC 8/2007
    POR 12/2006, POR 10/2005, POR 10/2004, FW 10/2002
    FW 10/1993, OS 12/1989

Post Thanks / Like

I'll look. I'll be at MK on Monday, so I'll look then. I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (PS- I'm probably gonna forget by then, so, don't expect it out of me)
    A llama? He's supposed to be dead!

(starting last year...)
    Feb 08- 4 days at Saratoga Springs
    Apr 08- 6 days at Old Key West
    July 08- 10 days at Beach Club Villas
    Christmas 08- 6 days at Beach Club Villas
    April 09- 2 days at Universal Studios Orlando

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

I guess Imagineering felt threatened that a small, accidental, and random act by a park maintenance CM could possibly spark more imagination than and entire attaction such as Stitch's Great Escape which cost who knows how much more.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

I hope it is not true. I love the little back stories, park generated or fan generated. It makes the ride more interesting, and showing those who don't know about them is a joy in itself.
    DigitalDaredevil
    VMK: EpcotRay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox
    I have heard several times it's not really a ring, but a coincidence. One of those urban legends and I would imagine Disney just let it propogate. It may have finally been time to fix the walkway.

I'm not sure though, it did look pretty "authentic"...
    I was told this by CM's at the HM. They said its not even a ring - but some sort of construction.
    SSR & BC DVC Member
    Coming up - BWV July '18
    BWI '98, BWV '05, '08-16
    BLT - '15, '17
    Beach Club '96, BCV - '04, '06, 09
    Swan '07
    Contemporary - '91, '94, '02, '04
    Wilderness Lodge '00, VWL, 08
    Off Site - '80's

Post Thanks / Like

I never really thought it looked that much like a ring...it looked a lot more like a pipe and a broken screwdriver to me. It would be cool if Disney put in a REAL ring to replace it though.....
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

I can confirm that the "ring" is now gone. They only cemented over the two old post holes nothing else. So this "ring" thing must have really bothered someone.
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Altair
    I can confirm that the "ring" is now gone. They only cemented over the two old post holes nothing else. So this "ring" thing must have really bothered someone.
    Yes, if something is not part of the original concept, or "Imagineering Approved" it really is fair game.

The Hidden Mickey on the banquet table is a good example. I hear it's not suposed to be there, so it's not uncommon for an Imagineer to "fix" the table settings to remove the hidden Mickey, only to have it magically appear at some point.

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Altair
    Thanks for the confirmation, we'll update the Hidden Treasures Guide soon with an Archive section to list items that are no longer available.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

wow... can't believe its gone... good thing i got to see it while it was around. but i guess my next trip in may will have to be without it
    -Corey-

Excuse me? Are you lookin' at me? Did you rub my lamp? Did you wake me up? Did you bring me here? And all of a sudden you're walking out on me? I don't think so, not right now. You're getting your wishes, so sit down!

Post Thanks / Like

I was there today and saw the ring.

Many, many visits since 1973....

Post Thanks / Like

That's awful. Too bad.
    90- CR/Poly
    92- off-site
    93- Poly
    94- CBR
    96- CR
    99- CR
    01- off-site
    02- off-site
    03- off-site
    03- CR/Poly
    04- CR/Poly
    06- Poly
    17- Poly

Post Thanks / Like

the ring was a piece of pipe. if anything, it looked like an engagement ring.. for the branch of a twig.

this is a photo i took of it a couple of years ago:

but you can't really see just how tiny it is. i also took this shot as a guide to help locate it, so it puts it into more perspective

in any case, it was presumably kept because it became such an integral part of unofficial HM lore but gone because the word is that during the huge HM renovation, the HM will retroactively get the official backstory as they did with Disneyland's HM revolving around the serial killer bride as opposed to some intricate love triangle.

Post Thanks / Like

this must have been done quite recently because after reading numerous posts before heading down in the beginning of march we had thought it to be gone too, but much to our surprise we were able to find it right exactly where its supposed to be...its a shame because its one of the few treasures left at the HM location...now if they get rid of Mr. Toad I will be very disappointed, but i dont see that happening
    "Tomorrowland Transit Authority Metroliner non-stop now departing Rocket Tower Plaza for a round trip Super Skyway Tour."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FormerCastMember View Post
    this must have been done quite recently because after reading numerous posts before heading down in the beginning of march we had thought it to be gone too, but much to our surprise we were able to find it right exactly where its supposed to be...
    I agree!!! I forgot to post this weeks ago as I forgot all about this topic - which is not accurate, apparently!
    We were there in late February and the ring was there - exactly where we've always seen it! DD and DS always locate it - they found it immediately upon exiting the ride.
    Mr. Toad's headstone/monument was still there as well...

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if Disney people removed the cement or if enterprising quests did it? It wouldn't take much to remove the little patch of concrete. There is no doubt is was covered in January.

It could have been done by ghosts.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: