Quantcast Lost Season 3 - Page 12

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost Season 3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walstib View Post
    This is just pointless ! Still no examples of specific "shark-jumping". None for "insulting our intelligence" either.

Every episode of Lost should answer questions, and never create more. Each episode should be measurably better than the last. No other series ever had any weak episodes.
    They better explain everything to us in very easy to consume little bites or we'll all jump off the bandwagon.

Oh wait, apparently we all already have...

Sorry, if sarcasm has offended anyone. I know it against TOS. Lost is still one of the best written shows on television, regardless of the ratings dive the show took after switching times, and taking a long break.

We'll agree to disagree...I just thought the thread originator would be able to justify the weekly bashing.
    Wow, so you know that sarcasm is against the INTERCOT Terms of Service and you post anyway, Hmmmmmmmmmmm??? My intention was just to share my point of view, not to upset the loyal fans of Lost.

I (the thread originator)intended to list a few of the Shark Jumps to justify my "weekly bashing", but this 2006 article from MSNBC covers most of the points I had planned to mention, plus a few more. Bear in mind, I am still watching each weekly episode and hoping for better things to come. Remeber all are entitled to an opinion, that what makes it so much fun.

"In final moments of its second season, ABC's “Lost” revealed that in an arctic location somewhere two men were alerted to electromagnetic activity on the island, and alerted the lover of one of the island’s inhabitants. For the first time, viewers saw the outside world, and the possibility of rescue became very real.
    Or maybe not. In Entertainment Weekly’s fall TV preview issue, one of the executive producers, of “Lost,” Carlton Cuse, said, “That scene obviously suggests a new direction for the show.” His writing partner Damon Lindelof said, “Hanging over the storytelling in season 3 is this idea that there is an outside world…or is there? I mean, what did we see?”
    Reading those final four nonsensical words, I knew I was done watching “Lost.” I mean, what was I thinking? Once the overlords of “Lost” finally allowed the show to take off running in an actual direction, they plan to haul out their increasingly thin smoke and cracked mirrors once again.
    Giving up the series now is the only way to prevent the inevitable disappointment that awaits in the future. Besides, I can no longer bear to watch one of television’s best casts and most intriguing concepts be destroyed by this half-baked mystery machine stupidity.
    With its debut a mere two years ago, “Lost” excited the broadcast television viewing world by presenting an incredibly well-produced drama underscored by a mystery: Where in the world were these plane crash survivors, and, more significantly, who are they, really?
    Instead of keeping viewers on those two paths, “Lost” has instead followed the Path of Network TV Shows Doomed to Slip into Absurdity and Alienate The Audience. Mostly, that’s happened thanks to the monster, and the polar bear, and any number of other all-consuming but then-forgotten oddities on the island.
    The writers’ obsessive compulsion with making the story even more convoluted and mysterious every episode is obvious, as they’re all too consumed with giving viewers something else to wonder about. Like small children playing with toys, they drop each mystery after a few minutes and then run to the next one, hoping viewers will follow.
    In the very first episode, the survivors heard a violent, machine-like noise coming from the jungle. Despite playing such a significant role early on, that monster has now essentially disappeared from the shows stories. First, though, after a long stretch of time, the monster was revealed to be a thin cloud of black smoke that can tear down trees, and which drags people into holes, eats them, or just reads their minds and reflects their past in its smoky brain. Perhaps the monster’s disappearance is better than giving it even more powers, such as the ability to make an entire meal in just one pot, like the TurboCooker.
    When answers are finally revealed on “Lost,” they’re usually complete let-downs, in part because they make little sense, and in part because all those revelations usually do is give way to more mysteries. They serve little purpose but to fuel online chatter.
    In the second-season finale, viewers finally learned why the castaways' plane crashed: Hatch-tender Desmond didn’t type in the stupid, ubiquitous numbers, a giant magnet clicked on, and the plane fell from the sky. How anticlimactic is that? And all that information did, really, was offer new questions.
    If the numbers really do have a purpose and aren’t some kind of psychological experiment, why would whoever wrote the computer program require someone to enter a bunch of numbers to stop it, instead of just pressing a button? More significantly, why wouldn’t the computer just keep the magnet off automatically? Why would someone put a gigantic electromagnet on an island anyway, or why would no one else in the world notice this?
    See, this is the real problem with “Lost”: its absurdity is frustratingly addictive. It’s difficult not to tune in next week, always hoping for an answer but getting excited when something random and new pops up instead.
    Most frustrating, however, is the producers’ and writers’ insistence upon throwing in some magical “what the...?” moment rather than focus on what really powers their series: the characters.
    The most powerful episodes of “Lost” have been those that explore the tenuous relationships between the survivors as they attempt to form a livable society. (For example, Dr. Jack’s tendency to play boss man all the time is rarely challenged, except by the now-dead Ana Lucia.) There were few more powerful moments in the series than when paranoid Ana Lucia shot Shannon by mistake; her action was shocking and completely within character, and best of all, had nothing to do with a monster or evil lottery numbers.
    The greatest mysteries often involve the passengers themselves, which are revealed through flashbacks. Locke’s relationship with his estranged father, or Sayid’s life in Iraq, for example, both gave us insight into their behavior on the island.
    The backstories also illustrate how all human beings are sometimes accidentally connected, such as those that showed the passengers interacting in the airport before boarding their flight. Increasingly, though, those flashbacks overreach, tying some of the survivors together in ridiculously far-fetched knots.
    “Lost” drew high ratings and critical attention because of this smart storytelling and highly engaging premise, which, yes, included a few mysteries (such as the polar bear). Themes of redemption, faith, and trust ran through these elements.
    Instead of subtly supporting the story, however, the writers have insisted upon illustrating these themes with ridiculously grandiose symbols and events, as if viewers are too dense to comprehend the effects of faith or belief unless some miraculous, impossible thing occurs.
    This will not end well. “Lost” will undoubtedly turn into an “X-Files” mess, perhaps losing original cast members and replacing them with brand-new, previously unseen survivors (the Cargoholdies?). It may also hemorrhage viewers until one day as it falls further and further into the hole it’s digging for itself, until someone finally cancels the show.
    The real problem is that giving up a series like “Lost” is not easy. There’s always one baby step forward that is enough to keep viewers hooked until the introduction of the next deus ex machina.
    Ultimately, though, “Lost” has become one of those papier-mâché volcanoes that erupt when vinegar is poured over baking soda in the crater. The volcano fizzes impressively for a few seconds, but then it dies. More baking soda and vinegar will keep up the eruptions, but eventually all that’s left is a big, sloppy mess."

I don't think I would have been so critical, but what do I know ???
    Frankie #1440

INTERCOT Staff

Every day there is sad news, but each day itself is glad news.----Found in fortune cookie at Nine Dragons Restaurant in Epcot while having lunch during INTERCOT's 10th Anniversary Meet

But If Not

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a single comment about how this week's show ended?
    Rhonda

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beast_fanatic View Post
    Not a single comment about how this week's show ended?
    I checked in here..but thought I was in the wrong thead and was totally "lost" after reading through the last couple of posts. Thought I missed an episode!

I really dislike Julliet. I know she is probably being blackmailed by Ben...but she is evil too. I couldnt believe that Sun(?) went with her into the tunnelI! I thought that the OTHERS were going to grab her. So the baby is her husbands..but they will probably die. I hope not...I hope they kill off Julliet instead. She should come clean with Saint Jack about everything..he is really being played for a fool. How trusting is this guy, bringing her back and acting as if she is one of them. Hellooo...anyone home?
    Phyllis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie View Post
    I checked in here..but thought I was in the wrong thead and was totally "lost" after reading through the last couple of posts. Thought I missed an episode!
    Sorry I got things a little off topic...

The creaters of Lost still claim that the Losties are not dead or in purgatory, but "all the passengers were found dead" according to the parachutist. What are the theories out there to explain this? Maybe some kind of cover-up by the Others/Darhma?
    D-A-D-D-Y needs C-O-F-F-E-E !

May '00 Honeymoon
    March '02 Easter with 7
    Jan ' 03 Romantic Getaway
    Oct '03 MNSSHP
    Aug '06 New addition's 1st trip
    Sept '07 No boys, but everyone else!
    June '09 Everyone !!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie View Post

I really dislike Julliet. I know she is probably being blackmailed by Ben...but she is evil too. I couldnt believe that Sun(?) went with her into the tunnelI! I thought that the OTHERS were going to grab her. So the baby is her husbands..but they will probably die. I hope not...I hope they kill off Julliet instead. She should come clean with Saint Jack about everything..he is really being played for a fool. How trusting is this guy, bringing her back and acting as if she is one of them. Hellooo...anyone home?
    I think Juliet could have lied to Sun about the Date of Conception. It very well could be that the baby was conceived off the island, thus resulting in Sun surviving. If Juliet made Ben believe that the baby was conceived on the island and then Sun survived, it might be her ticket home.......but, what do I know...LOLOL
    Jen

Always ready to talk Disney
    Grand Floridian**Contemporary**Polynesian**Wilderness Lodge**Yacht Club**Dolphin**Port Orleans French Quarter**All Star Movies**All Star Music**POP Century**Disney Wonder**Disney Magic**Disney Dream**VWL**Old Key West**Animal Kingdom Lodge**Bay Lake Tower

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walstib View Post
    Sorry I got things a little off topic...

The creaters of Lost still claim that the Losties are not dead or in purgatory, but "all the passengers were found dead" according to the parachutist. What are the theories out there to explain this? Maybe some kind of cover-up by the Others/Darhma?
    I was reading some other web site (What??? there are OTHER websites???!!) that had actually gone in and translated what parachute girl said to Patchy in the different languages. They claimed she did not say "thank you" as Patchy indicated she had, but rather "I am not alone". Doing well to speak proper English, let alone different languages, I couldn't verify that myself!

So, if that is true, the thought is that she lied about flight 850 being found with no survivors. But it is kinda interesting how Patchy came back to life, isn't it???
    Last edited by Jenemmy; 04-29-2007 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Forgot something!
    Jen

Grand Floridian**Contemporary**Polynesian**Wilderness Lodge**Yacht Club**Dolphin**Port Orleans French Quarter**All Star Movies**All Star Music**POP Century**Disney Wonder**Disney Magic**Disney Dream**VWL**Old Key West**Animal Kingdom Lodge**Bay Lake Tower

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jenemmy View Post
    I think Juliet could have lied to Sun about the Date of Conception. It very well could be that the baby was conceived off the island, thus resulting in Sun surviving. If Juliet made Ben believe that the baby was conceived on the island and then Sun survived, it might be her ticket home.......but, what do I know...LOLOL
    That is a GREAT idea!!!!! I like where your mind is going with that.

As far as patchy surviving.... I can't wait to see how that is explained or else that might be a jump the shark moment right there
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Who wants to go first ???

Frankie #1440

INTERCOT Staff

Every day there is sad news, but each day itself is glad news.----Found in fortune cookie at Nine Dragons Restaurant in Epcot while having lunch during INTERCOT's 10th Anniversary Meet

But If Not

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I will.
    I'm not sure how I feel. I kind of called the whole Locke's dad being the real Mr. Sawyer a long time ago so I wasn't very surprised. It was nice to see that particular plot line completed however. Now this whole Jack thing... I don't think I want to touch that with a 10ft stick I just have no clue, and was definitely frustrated by it....
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought it was another great episode. My daughter and I think it is interesting how Sawyer and Locke have basically switched characters. Sawyer was so mean, angry and "bad" when he arrived on the island. Locke was meek, gentler and more "good". Sawyer has come so far and wants to be a better person. He tries to contain that anger and you can see that he is much softer than he wants to let on. He cares about others a lot more than he did before. Locke has gone the other way. He has gone from a man that seemed to step up and help the other survivors as much as he could, to someone that is only concerned with his personal interests. They have both done a big 180 in their character. Locke is a coward and I do not enjoy his character at all any more. Based on the buzz that 5 characters will die before season end, I hope that Locke and Ben end up taking each other out as part of that five.
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

My father's name was Ferdinand, my mama's name was Liza, they didn't know what to call me so they called me Ferdiliza!
    Billy Hill and the Hillbillies - "I'm OK!"

Please support INTERCOT'S wonderful sponsers!

Post Thanks / Like

I loved last night's episode, but I've really enjoyed most of them lately. I think the writers are consciously taking this show in the right direction. I often think about all of the people out there that quite watching for various reasons and about what they're missing now...

In last night's episode, I'm wondering now who Naomi really is. So far, Sayid has never been wrong about anyone and he seems to have serious questions about her. That, combined with the Jack/Juliet "we should tell her" comments when Kate told them about Naomi, makes me really wonder about her.

I'm actually hoping there's not too many more major deaths on the show. There needs to be enough original survivors around to rescue by the end of the series.
    Mike

Trips: 1983,1986,1988,1991 - Off-site
    Jan 2001 - WL
    Nov 2004 - WL

Sep 2005 - AKL
    Sep 2007 - Poly
    May 2009 - CBR
    May 2010 - Poly
    Oct 2010 - Pop
    May 2012 - BC
    Next trip May 2014 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

I liked last night's episode as well; it provided a lot of food for thought. I agree that Locke's is becoming something of a pariah on the show. He did not fit in with the survivors anymore, so I guess it was appropriate that he decided to go his own way. And isn't Ben the creepiest character ever?? He thinks he's the puppet-master, that's for sure. I truly hope that Juliet is playing him along and brings him down in the end.

On a side note, if any of you have TiVo (or a similar service), slow-mo through next weeks preview. The scenes flash through so fast at regular speed, but when taken frame by frame, you get a lot of interesting and disturbing images.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    I liked last night's episode as well; it provided a lot of food for thought. I agree that Locke's is becoming something of a pariah on the show. He does not fit in with the survivors anymore, so I guess it was appropriate that he decided to go his own way. And isn't Ben the creepiest character ever?? He thinks he's the puppet-master, that's for sure. I truly hope that Juliet is playing him along and brings him down in the end.

On a side note, if any of you have TiVo (or a similar service), slow-mo through next weeks preview. The scenes flash through so fast at regular speed, but when taken frame by frame, you get a lot of interesting and disturbing images.
    I can't wait to get home and look at that in slow motion now Beth! Thanks for the tip.

And I agree with you - I hope that Juliet is with our castaways and will help bring Ben down. I want to believe that whatever Jack has up his sleeve with her is going to be good for our side.
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

My father's name was Ferdinand, my mama's name was Liza, they didn't know what to call me so they called me Ferdiliza!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChipnDaleGal View Post
    I can't wait to get home and look at that in slow motion now Beth! Thanks for the tip.

And I agree with you - I hope that Juliet is with our castaways and will help bring Ben down. I want to believe that whatever Jack has up his sleeve with her is going to be good for our side.
    There is a web site out there -- although I can't remember it's exact URL, that has the screencaps for next week frame by frame. THEY ARE CREEEEEPPPPPYYYYYY! Do a search for "Lost Spoilers" and it should be one of the first to pop up.
    Jen

Post Thanks / Like

According to Kristen from E Online...
    ABC is set to announce that Lost will end production after two more seasons. According to sources, ABC is planning to push back Lost's return date to January of next year in order to air new episodes back-to-back, and it is also "extremely likely" that Lost will change time slots next season.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Well, looks like the official annoucement has now come... not two more seasons, but three shortened seasons of 16 episodes each. What? I was just starting to think how great the next two seasons of Lost will be now that we know when it will end. Now we only get 16 episode seasons spread out over three years? Sorry, but to me it sounds like yet another mistake on the part of those in charge. They make a great show, but have no idea how to air it. Hopefully they'll at least get it out of this ridiculous 10PM time slot.
    Mike

Trips: 1983,1986,1988,1991 - Off-site
    Jan 2001 - WL
    Nov 2004 - WL

Sep 2005 - AKL
    Sep 2007 - Poly
    May 2009 - CBR
    May 2010 - Poly
    Oct 2010 - Pop
    May 2012 - BC
    Next trip May 2014 - BC

Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

Lost is lost and time has come for it to go.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GothMickey View Post
    That is your opinion, which you are entitled to, but no one forces you to tune in. There are some of us that are still very much caught up in the story and enjoy it.
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I've been pretty disappointed in this season. The time period being later..is a real killer for me also. Hope that the few that are left this season are better. Feel as if we waited and waited for the start of the season and while there have been a couple of good episodes...on the whole I haven't felt as if I just couldn't miss the show...as I have in the previous seasons.
    Phyllis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GothMickey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipnDaleGal View Post
    That is your opinion, which you are entitled to, but no one forces you to tune in. There are some of us that are still very much caught up in the story and enjoy it.
    I am one of those who loves the show. I like the flashbacks, enjoy learning more about the characters, and love when they throw in something I'm wasn't expecting.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: